Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014
what
statues are fireproof
what more do you want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014
It's sad that 5e did something like that. I wanted a clean fight over nerd poo poo. But this issue does have to be recognized.
It would be great if they'd done the gender thing, made the art more inclusive, generally just been positive.
Instead, this renders their other efforts hollow, contrived.

They've actually brought in a couple of terrible people who would perhaps otherwise be an unfair characterization of the fans they're courting.
Yeah, there are toxic elements in the community, but they didn't have to pander to that.
But now, it's undeniable, that IS who they're courting. They thanked them in the credits right next to Ken Hite and Robin Laws!

A Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jul 4, 2014

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

Ettin posted:

I meant real elfgames.
There is only one real elfgame.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

Kwyndig posted:

I'm trying to decide if I should even try PbP or irc again considering my last few attempts bombed or just kind of slowly petered out.
If you find yourself in this situation, and assuming you're talking about gming, a good compromise can be to run short games in a shared continuity. Twoshots, threeshots, something along those lines. Over time you can work to meaningful goals and climaxes, which improves retention, and if you're lucky you'll end up with a genuinely regular crew.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014
Disappointed that y'all didn't mention the most glorious of the ttrpg-to-crpg career paths, that of Mister Chris Avellone.

Sionak posted:

Edit: the other thing is that the experience of play in RPGs is more subjective than video games, too. You can come to a video game with a negative impression and be won over by pretty graphics or solid mechanics. Given the amount of buy-in to learn an RPG and the need for good-faith participation to see how things click, I think poisoned preconceptions can do even more damage.
Not only that, but it's about group enthusiasm. Collaboration. Think about how many groups have a resident grog who would snort and sigh their way through their early efforts at 4e. I saw this in a mild form in person at a convention early in 4e's lifepsan, at an organized play 'living fr/4e' game no less.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

Mr. Maltose posted:

Warren Spector made better games both for the table top and the vidcon though?
And then he made invisible war and epic mickey. I think they're comparable figures, unless we're going to start putting devs in cage matches and talking about 'Game Gods' and poo poo.

And in tabletop terms, IIRC Avellone did work for the Hero system, which while flawed, is one of the most interesting and unique rpgs ever made.

It formalized a deliberate gulf between mechanics and character narrative, which is one of the key milestones in rpg design. And while it was undeniably an absurdly complex world-building do-anything mega-rpg, it was at least, an absurdly complex world-building do-anything mega-rpg that actually did the job, unlike other rpgs that make that claim. It's also an RPG which is more like a computer code than any other in history, with each power being comparable to a dos era command line, wich is both ridiculous, and fascinating.

All of this makes it a very interesting background for a crpg developer, and I've often wondered what kind of influence it had on him, and other devs. Hero has a pretty interesting stable of former players actually- Fred Hicks played it, and, as a bad example, John Wick's terrible Mister Carter stories are of him running a game of Champions, the Hero system's flagship super-rpg. In part his bizarre power-tripping 'play dirty' gming can be traced to his frustration with Hero System's use of Disadvantage points.

A Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014
(edit)Looks like the thread's moved on.

A Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 17, 2014

• Locked thread