Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

quote:

Although few details were immediately available, a source said Giroux was arrested for repeatedly grabbing the buttocks of a male police officer. Alcohol is believed to have been involved.

:lol:

This is the week that keeps on giving.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/07/02/philadelphia-flyers-star-claude-giroux-arrested-in-ottawa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Mind_Taker posted:

Why are you so eager to get rid of Green? He drives possession and is really good on the PP. He makes a few brain-farts and he is injury prone, but he's still good and he only has one year left on his deal. If you're going to get rid of him then I'd do it at the trade deadline to a contender instead of a rebuilding team that isn't really going to part with good prospects or picks.

Because it's the only way I see them retaining a great 2C in Grabovski(who is arguably more important than Green now). I never thought of dumping Brouwer+Laich(would have to be both) because I see that as harder to accomplish and would net very little in return. Greens almost already out the door and can get you something back.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Just saw this. I'm really curious if we're ever gonna get more details about this

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Oh my god I just heard about this lmao

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Convicted sex offender Claude Giroux won't be allowed into the United States next season

e: I can only hope the excuse is "I'm sorry, I thought he was the stripper!"

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Down Goes Brown ‏@DownGoesBrown 18s
Claude Giroux continues hockey's proud tradition of regretting the decision to chase after bums on July 1.

lol

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Levitate posted:

I think the issue is really that now the Caps are paying their D:

Orpik: $5.5 mill
Niskanen: $5.75 mill
Carlson: $3.96 mill
Green: $6.08 mill (though it expires after this year)
Alzner: $2.8 mill
Orlov & Erskine: $2 mill

So that's $28.09 mill tied up in a defense that isn't bad but doesn't realllly impress me a ton either, and they'll probably jettison Green who is the only one who is actually good at creating offense on his own (well I'm selling Carlson short but he he's not a huge threat)

I mean it's not a downright terrible "you're hosed" type of thing but I wouldn't be comfortable. Honestly a little like the Rangers! Though I'll take Girardi at $5.5 for 6 years until he's 36 over Brooks Orpik at $5.5 for 5 years until he's 38

I just wanna say that the Flyers finally have a true competitor for the title of Worst Overpaid Defense

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

oh my god lmao

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

mcvey posted:

Because it's the only way I see them retaining a great 2C in Grabovski(who is arguably more important than Green now). I never thought of dumping Brouwer+Laich(would have to be both) because I see that as harder to accomplish and would net very little in return. Greens almost already out the door and can get you something back.

Brouwer could fetch something, he had 25 goals last season and 19 in the lockout shortened season (just don't look at the fancy stats!)

I just don't see why so many Caps fans are so eager to get rid of Green, he's either their best or second best D even after signing Niskanen. He is excellent on the power play and drives the play at even strength. Strong coaching (which Green hasn't had in a long time) could also help fix the mistakes he tends to make.

Why get rid of the guy when you won't fetch a good return? That's why I think it makes more sense to wait to the trade deadline if you're going to deal him at all.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

double sulk posted:

Down Goes Brown ‏@DownGoesBrown 18s
Claude Giroux continues hockey's proud tradition of regretting the decision to chase after bums on July 1.

lol

Hahahaha

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
The funniest part of that whole Giroux thing is that he got arrested at 9pm.

Learn to hold your liquor, son.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Mind_Taker posted:

Why get rid of the guy when you won't fetch a good return? That's why I think it makes more sense to wait to the trade deadline if you're going to deal him at all.

Honestly I'm for whatever whatever gets Grabovski back without being a huge loss to the team.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

DJExile posted:

Hahahaha

This is truly the offseason that keeps on giving

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Overwined posted:

it's the offseason, he probably started drinking at 9pm the previous night

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Boy I sure am glad we drafted noted bust Bobby Sanguinetti ahead of Claude Giroux, who rules across the board

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

mcvey posted:

Honestly I'm for whatever whatever gets Grabovski back without being a huge loss to the team.

I can't see that happening at this point. I want Grabovski back as much as you but Mac had all the time in the world to sign Grabo before July 1 and he decided on Brooks Orpik instead.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Bottom cop Claude Giroux

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
A hockey player with a drinking problem? That's crazy talk.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Wamsutta posted:

Boy I sure am glad we drafted noted bust Bobby Sanguinetti ahead of Claude Giroux, who rules across the board

well hey, at least 20 other teams passed over him too, and the only ones even in his ballpark who were picked ahead of him were Toews and Kessel

And the Flyers lucked into him anyway, lol

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Zodijackylite posted:

Bottom cop Claude Giroux

Thumbs up on this one.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Wamsutta posted:

Thumbs up in this one.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
So going back now, how smashed must Claude have been when he smashed that golf club into his fingers last year

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Mind_Taker posted:

I can't see that happening at this point. I want Grabovski back as much as you but Mac had all the time in the world to sign Grabo before July 1 and he decided on Brooks Orpik instead.

That's what I was afraid of.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
That's hilarious. Dude apparently showed up at some cross-sport competition completely gunned at a local rink a couple weeks ago. Doesn't sound like he's stopped drinking since coming home

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

@mirtle Cody Franson won't sign qualifying offer, which was for $2-million. He'll get a raise into at least $2.5-million range, if they keep him.

bleeeeeeeeeeeech

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Overwined posted:

Well it was Canada day. I expect to be that drunk or more so by 9 PM on Friday
:911:

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

mcvey posted:

Why did we get Niskanen and Orpik when we could play some of our serviceable young guys? Would have been fine with just Niskanen.

The money's fine for both(in this market I guess) but why for 5+7 years? And why at the expense of not re-signing Grabovski? Maybe they're gonna get rid of Green? idgi :negative:

GMBM indeed

I was worried about you all day, buddy. :glomp:

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

mcvey posted:

Kinda bad-pretty good defensemen are priced at $5m~/yr in free agency this year, especially with the cap going up. Every year we're surprised that X defenseman got overpaid but that's what they're worth on new contracts now and it's increasing every year.

Alternatively, you can just go after actually good defensemen for $3-4mil. I'm still baffled by the deal Ehrhoff got.

e: laffo giroux

fancy stats fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 2, 2014

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013
Claude Giroux copped a feel and felt a cop at the same time.

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008

Laderhan posted:

Claude Giroux copped a feel and felt a cop at the same time.

If you can play, you can play.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

fancy stats posted:

Alternatively, you can just go after actually good defensemen for $3-4mil. I'm still baffled by the deal Ehrhoff got.

e: laffo giroux

Ehrhoff was probably the signing of the day. I'm sure he had many offers in the 3-4m~ range but chose the Penguins.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

The Rev posted:

If you can play, you can play.

Well done

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Crosby engaged to a woman, Giroux grabbin' men's asses - all this time Flyers fans were projecting their own repressed thoughts onto poor, poor Sid.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
https://twitter.com/BroadStHockey/status/484346031224930304

Butt Street Hockey @BroadStHockey
Giroux’s been to this bar — @thecabinottawa — before. In fact, he’s been behind the bar before. May 1, 2012:

definitely not a drinking problem

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Vicas posted:

definitely not a drinking problem

It's not a problem, it's an opportunity.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I am shocked that a 26 year old millionaire likes to have fun and drink alcohol and has even, if you can believe this, been behind a bar before

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's not a problem until he hides that he drinks, that's like alcoholism 101. When he's sneaking those little airplane bottles into the fingers of his hockey gloves so he can take a shot during a game it might be time for an intervention.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

xzzy posted:

It's not a problem until he hides that he drinks, that's like alcoholism 101. When he's sneaking those little airplane bottles into the fingers of his hockey gloves so he can take a shot during a game it might be time for an intervention.

Hello new trick shot for the Allstar game

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Only poor people have drinking problems.

Rich athletes just have personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Claude is the new buttman. You're off for now, Gary.

• Locked thread