Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

CTV is reporting that the Canucks believe they are the front runners for Miller and expect to sign him today. Further to that, they think they have a legitimate shot at Iginla for some reason. Pursuing him is (unsurprisingly) an ownership lead initiative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

deafmute posted:

Keep talking Brooksie :swoon:

Dany Heatley New York Ranger would be so hilariously great.

Hemsky yes others no

Carter can't do too much damage on the 4th line and he's decent as far as a 4th line winger goes.

But hey you know you could also just re-sign Pouliot, Glen.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

:siren: We have our first signing of today :siren:

Frederic St. Denis re-signs with Columbus for $550k over 1 year.

:geno:

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

EvilJimmyCarter posted:

Hemsky yes others no

Carter can't do too much damage on the 4th line and he's decent as far as a 4th line winger goes.

But then how does he perform his annual 50% roster swap-out ritual

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

deafmute posted:

Uhhh, honestly JT Miller could probably fill Pouliot's role. Dude got overrated fast as gently caress for some reason. I liked him last year and thought he fit in real well with that line but he still had 36 points in 80 games which isn't exactly mindblowing or impossible to replace.

Also you have to read carefully with Brooks because he plays between reporting what his sources tell him and speculating random poo poo. The talk about Havlat, Hemsky, Heatley, etc reads more as him just randomly listing UFA's and saying "oh hey maybe the Rangers could sign these guys"

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Hockles posted:

:siren: We have our first signing of today :siren:

Frederic St. Denis re-signs with Columbus for $550k over 1 year.

:geno:

It's all I ever wanted. Shut down the thread, ya'll.

I really want the day to end with the Rangers having traded for Lecavalier and signed Heatley.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

deafmute posted:

:stonk:

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

EvilJimmyCarter posted:

Hemsky yes others no

what if pouliot walked and we got someone who's like, actually really good there? could you imagine moulson next to brassard and zuccarello? it's never going to happen but drat

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Levitate posted:

Also you have to read carefully with Brooks because he plays between reporting what his sources tell him and speculating random poo poo. The talk about Havlat, Hemsky, Heatley, etc reads more as him just randomly listing UFA's and saying "oh hey maybe the Rangers could sign these guys"

This is a good point, it isn't the first time he's woven his own wishful thinking into an actual sourced report. He writes for the post and the post is a tabloid and poo poo and he made John Tortorella feel bad.

So what I'm saying is that it's important to remember that Brooksie is poo poo

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013

deafmute posted:

Let's just hope that he doesn't try to give Ryan McDonagh a ride.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Bobo says that's there's "no doubt in his mind" that Miller will be a Canuck and the deal will be less than 4 years.

Suddenly the halycon days of Schneider and Luongo seem like nothing more than a half remembered dream.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Laderhan posted:

:mad:

a false posted:

what if pouliot walked and we got someone who's like, actually really good there? could you imagine moulson next to brassard and zuccarello? it's never going to happen but drat

That...kinda gives me a bit of a chub. Moulson's probably gonna get paid too well to make that happen though

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Bobo says that's there's "no doubt in his mind" that Miller will be a Canuck and the deal will be less than 4 years.

Suddenly the halycon days of Schneider and Luongo seem like nothing more than a half remembered dream.

...in what world does this make sense for Vancouver? I have no idea what they are trying to accomplish.

At least Toronto has a direction that they are sticking to, trying to sign "grit" and "truculence". Even if this is a terrible direction and won't lead to success. Vancouver just seems to be flipping a coin.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I would love them to retain Stralman and score Grabo and Moulson today but dunno how feasible that all is

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:
Lebrun: Vanek has narrowed his list down to 5-6 teams :wotwot:

Laderhan posted:

The taxis and subway system would keep everyone safe!

Levitate posted:

Uhhh, honestly JT Miller could probably fill Pouliot's role. Dude got overrated fast as gently caress for some reason. I liked him last year and thought he fit in real well with that line but he still had 36 points in 80 games which isn't exactly mindblowing or impossible to replace.

Well yeah it's all speculation but it's still a hilarious possibility and shame on you for trying to rain on good times being had during Canada Day :mad:

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Mind_Taker posted:

...in what world does this make sense for Vancouver? I have no idea what they are doing.

Tanking?

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Don't disappoint me thread. :f5:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Mind_Taker posted:

...in what world does this make sense for Vancouver? I have no idea what they are doing.

it makes sense if they're trying to remain competitive while giving their younger goalies more time to develop safely but since they already seem to be throwing in the towel for the season then yeah wtf.

Also makes me think that they don't like Lack and will try to develop Markstrom behind Miller

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

Apparently spending 1/3 of our available cap space for at best a marginal upgrade in goal is Benning's first backup plan to not getting Sam Reinhart. No one can explain this logic. I was all for signing a decent veteran backup to take some pressure off Lack and keep Markstrom as far away from an NHL ice surface as possible, but this is pointless. How long until Lack asks out?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

ThinkTank posted:

At least that term is not wholly insane?

Dreger says the Leafs are trying at least one more pitch to Bolland (because they are hilarious).

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I still think Ryan Miller is above average, if they really wanted to tank they should have just grabbed like Nabokov or some poo poo like that.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

So which team is getting Ryan Miller at the trade deadline?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

ThinkTank posted:

Apparently spending 1/3 of our available cap space for at best a marginal upgrade in goal is Benning's first backup plan to not getting Sam Reinhart. No one can explain this logic. I was all for signing a decent veteran backup to take some pressure off Lack and keep Markstrom as far away from an NHL ice surface as possible, but this is pointless. How long until Lack asks out?

I'm 100% behind the idea that they don't feel Lack is their future starter and want to develop Markstrom instead

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Levitate posted:

Also makes me think that they don't like Lack and will try to develop Markstrom behind Miller

Lack is at worst a serviceable backup and at best a bottom third NHL starter already. Markstrom is a hunk of dog poop smeared across the bottom of someone's Walmart brand sneakers.

There was not one think he did in his time in Vancouver that indicated to me he could stop a wiffle ball rolled by a toddler from centre ice.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

ThinkTank posted:

Lack is at worst a serviceable backup and at best a bottom third NHL starter already. Markstrom is a hunk of dog poop smeared across the bottom of someone's Walmart brand sneakers.

I didn't say this was Vancouver being smart or anything.

Also watch Stralman and Boyle gently caress off to some lovely teams with tons of cap space and then end up going from a team that made it to the finals to a team that misses the playoffs because they just had to get paid stupid money :argh:

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Mind_Taker posted:

I still think Ryan Miller is above average, if they really wanted to tank they should have just grabbed like Nabokov or some poo poo like that.
Martin Brodeur is sitting out there waiting to ruin 40 starts a year for anyone that signs him.

Thufir posted:

At least that term is not wholly insane?

Dreger says the Leafs are trying at least one more pitch to Bolland (because they are hilarious).
To be a fly on the wall in that room. Maybe they'll package Kadri and Reimer to free up a little more extra money for him :allears:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Lack and Miller is a much better tandem than Lack and Markstrom so unless you want the Canucks to tank all the way, it seems like a reasonable signing (yes yes depending on term & salary).

Also if Miller sucks then it won't harm the tank at all either.

CDX
Dec 3, 2004

Cheap, but not as cheap as your girlfriend.

deafmute posted:

Ales Hemsky is a reclamation project?

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i'm honestly fine if we get stastny/boyle.

realistically, the rangers only have three-four years left and then it will make sense to do a bigger rebuild. girardi/hank/msl/nash will then be nearing the limits of their usefulness, and sather will probably retire around that time, too.

stastny will be a useful player for three more years at least, and boyle probably has one, maybe two left in him (two left in him as a #5 PP guy definitely).

like, the window is still open, hopefully gorton will be in charge of the restock once we need it.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Naet posted:

So which team is getting Ryan Miller at the trade deadline?

The Blues again, somehow

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

eXXon posted:

Lack and Miller is a much better tandem than Lack and Markstrom so unless you want the Canucks to tank all the way, it seems like a reasonable signing (yes yes depending on term & salary).

Also if Miller sucks then it won't harm the tank at all either.

Why do we need another goaltending controversy? Someone like Hiller or Emery could provide serviceable split time duties and not cost a large chunk of our cap space that could be better allocated to top six forwards. Of which we have two currently.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
also, is there any place that's running a FAF show or anything? and a stream for it?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

ThinkTank posted:

Why do we need another goaltending controversy?

The last goaltender controversy got you Bo Horvat. Imagine what Miller could return?!

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

CDX posted:

Ales Hemsky is a reclamation project?
Anyone that was an Oiler at any time in the last 10 years qualifies for that label according to the official rules and regulations.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Detroit locked down Riley Sheahan (RFA) to a 2 year deal at $950k/year.

Standard deal, but I guess some people were expecting him to be closer to $1.2m - $1.5m for some reason.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Spezza to Dallas

quote:

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 1m

Also per @SunGarrioch MT @MikeHeika Stars-Senators agreed to Spezza deal. Awaiting trade call. I'm hearing three forwards and a draft pick.

Thunderhorse Z
Sep 29, 2010

We're in a tight spot.

Mind_Taker posted:

Spezza to Dallas

Man, Dallas is going to be good next year.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ThinkTank posted:

There was not one think he did in his time in Vancouver that indicated to me he could stop a wiffle ball rolled by a toddler from centre ice.

Yeah those 4 games after a Swede moved from the two furthest teams away from each other in two countries he's not from really paints the full picture. There couldn't have been anything he had to adjust to during that time and I'm sure his eliminated team was playing great in front of him and not letting up high % shots by falling apart.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Spezza just got traded to the Stars so the pressure on the Blues and other teams needing centers is going to make Stastny even more money than he'd already get.

Avs are reportedly going hard after Iginla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

that's really nicely done by Dallas

• Locked thread