Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
supermikhail: I dunno, that all sounds pretty suspicious!

I screwed around with making it an articulated model. Forgive the drifty shoes etc, it's just rotating parented components.

(click fuzzy gif for high quality Unity loop)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

diddy kongs feet
Dec 11, 2012

wanna lick the dirt out between ur chimp toes
gif rules. seapunk as hell. Looks like he belongs in a runner game or something.

Suddenly dropped the ball with all my painting progress and can't get anything right anymore, so I'm back to lines. Here's some figures.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."

The forums have decided to freak out for me so apologies if anything looks off about this post. Also, a robot.

Triangle
Jul 30, 2011

Heh. If I was actually unchill, I would be using all caps and/or exclamation marks in my posts, but I am chill. Clowns like you make me laugh, that's what clowns do. Added to my ignore list.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Question: Are we only allowed to post drawings in here or is other stuff allowed too?

diddy kongs feet
Dec 11, 2012

wanna lick the dirt out between ur chimp toes

sick battletoad.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

scarycave posted:

Question: Are we only allowed to post drawings in here or is other stuff allowed too?
I think it'll be fine as long as it's some kind of visual art.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Humboldt Squid posted:

I think it'll be fine as long as it's some kind of visual art.

Ok. Here's some cross-posted robots then.

meataidstheft
Jul 31, 2005

Yous a lady Skwisgaar!
Aw those remind me of Reboot. The bad henchmen specifically.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

diddy kongs feet posted:

gif rules. seapunk as hell. Looks like he belongs in a runner game or something.

Suddenly dropped the ball with all my painting progress and can't get anything right anymore, so I'm back to lines. Here's some figures.

Thanks man. Maybe I should throw together a runner using it. Dodge the squid, throw harpoons, etcetera? Those figures are looking snazzy.

Triangle: I can't fully parse that guy, but it's looking colorful and atmospheric as always!

Happy New Dwarf Fortress Version, everyone. Here's my first adventurer. He has a cowhide waterskin, a sword and shield, and is an ardent worshipper of Gathre The Combat of Roaring, the goddess of revenge.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Thanks for the heads-up! I'll maybe go read about all the new bugs fun stuff new features.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Did a little bit of eye practice.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
It occurred to me last night that I've not drawn completely from imagination in ages:

Funny what half a year of ( :ssh: semi-)regular practice will do for it. Not that this is particularly great or anything, just that it was so much easier to lay things out than it used to be. Lots of things to work on, not least of which is making compositions that aren't 2d.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

meataidstheft posted:

Aw those remind me of Reboot. The bad henchmen specifically.

Never really saw Reboot. Well, maybe a little but its like one of those fuzzy memories where you can remember one or two lines...
"slow food fast" or something. Actually feels pretty good to be animating a bit in Maya, I guess I can appreciate the convinces it has over working in those 2d frame by frame stuff I've been doing.

I don't know what it is but it always seems like something is missing when you compare 2d and 3d animation. Fluidity maybe?
Don't really know for sure.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
Well, in 3d animation it's an effort to make stuff move, while in 2d it's hard to keep it from moving (at least when it's completely hand-drawn).

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."

Triangle
Jul 30, 2011

Heh. If I was actually unchill, I would be using all caps and/or exclamation marks in my posts, but I am chill. Clowns like you make me laugh, that's what clowns do. Added to my ignore list.
I think you should draw the whole body, not just floating sex parts

diddy kongs feet posted:

sick battletoad.

thank.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Haven't had very much time to draw lately :(

I wish I had picked a more interesting facial position though, christ.
I watched this video a few times, and I think something clicked finally
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nINus0lYQjo
It's nothing that I haven't read before regarding color, but I think that I needed to see it in action.

Humboldt Squid fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 9, 2014

effzedsix
Mar 7, 2006
I wanted to try to inspire some people

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

effzedsix posted:

Simple, to the point, nice boxes... That's a drat good motivator!

raspy trashfucker
Jul 5, 2014

JamieTheD posted:

Simple, to the point, nice boxes... That's a drat good motivator!

this, but in an unbelievably sarcastic voice

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

effzedsix posted:

I feel like this is the kind of thing that you really need to show, not tell. The inspriational part isn't actually supported by the drawing at all so it seems totally isolated - it reads like an advertisement for being a sadbrain a little bit right now.

big and nasty posted:

Be constructive please. Also consider changing your title.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Speedish painting trying to learn to digital paint... it's really hard to make things look convincing and not entirely like smooth plastic or like middle-school grade charcoal drawings. Probably needs a bigger range of tones & textures?

EDIT: VVV Yes, that's fine and good and something I'm aware of, but it also wasn't the question that I asked? VVV

hallo spacedog fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 10, 2014

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

hallo spacedog posted:

Speedish painting trying to learn to digital paint... it's really hard to make things look convincing and not entirely like smooth plastic or like middle-school grade charcoal drawings. Probably needs a bigger range of tones & textures?

Slow down. Work on your drawing before worrying about things like tone and texture. All the texture in the world would not fix your structural issues. Focus on that first.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Hi everyone. You all do such lovely work, I've dipped in and out throughout the years and the quality really is astonishing.

So, I've recently started a silly project that, I just realized last night, fits pretty well with this thread. For the last month or so I've been drawing 10 cartoon cats every weekday morning. There's a link under the title if you want to know more about why, dear lord why, I am doing this. Importantly: I make absolutely no claims of quality.

Here's a link to a tumblr of the cats so far. Sharpies & notecards only.

https://10dailycats.tumblr.com

Here's a selection to help you along on your voyage.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Humboldt Squid posted:

I watched this video a few times, and I think something clicked finally
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nINus0lYQjo
It's nothing that I haven't read before regarding color, but I think that I needed to see it in action.

That's really interesting (if a bit beyond my focus at the moment), thanks for the link!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Transcribed some notes from Craola and discovered Todd Schorr.

How did I not know about this guy?!? His stuff is nuts. I think he might be my favorite "low brow artist".

Hope you guys get something out of the Caola notes. It was a great seminar and I enjoyed making the WIP animation from all the pics I took.

Also. I dunno WTF this is ... but I like it.

Sold this a few days ago. Nice to have something which originated out of a small sketchbook drawing sell.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 10, 2014

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

hallo spacedog posted:

EDIT: VVV Yes, that's fine and good and something I'm aware of, but it also wasn't the question that I asked? VVV

It was, I promise. In most cases if you've got a building that's about to fall over you wouldn't say it was because of the color of the house. It's likely the foundation. If your foundation isn't built on solid principles, regardless of the dressing you put on it it's still not going to look "convincing".

When looking for feedback on your work, it's best to not cherry pick the specific types of advice you'd like to hear. If you think there are problems with your values and texture, fix them. You don't need validation from the internet. It's impossible to know specifically what "type" of feedback someone wants on their work. Ignoring fundamental flaws for superficial treatments doesn't inspire most people to spend their time giving you advice on how to improve your work.

If you've read any of the discussions in past threads you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

donJonSwan posted:

It was, I promise. In most cases if you've got a building that's about to fall over you wouldn't say it was because of the color of the house. It's likely the foundation. If your foundation isn't built on solid principles, regardless of the dressing you put on it it's still not going to look "convincing".

When looking for feedback on your work, it's best to not cherry pick the specific types of advice you'd like to hear. If you think there are problems with your values and texture, fix them. You don't need validation from the internet. It's impossible to know specifically what "type" of feedback someone wants on their work. Ignoring fundamental flaws for superficial treatments doesn't inspire most people to spend their time giving you advice on how to improve your work.

If you've read any of the discussions in past threads you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

I didn't mean this defensively, because it's hard to come off as not defensive online, and I sincerely appreciate the advice and see your point. That is exactly why I've been making efforts to draw every day. I have long realized I have a TON of figure drawing flaws, which is why I am trying to do a better job of practicing consistently, but I also like trying out new things and hearing about said things (i.e. digital painting resources, since I'm just kind of going into it blind), which is where my words were coming from. From my pov, while still poo poo, this for me a huge leap ahead of the terrible lovely manga art I spent way too many years making. I went over it and drew in anatomical guidelines (because this started as a small, no sketch, no reference doodle, bad old habits die hard) after you pointed that out and see the flaws, but at the same time it looks better than what I've always drawn. 95% of the stuff I do right now is just figure drawing exercises, b/c I totally realize I'm nowhere near there yet. Working at it though.

SirJohanna
Nov 23, 2007

Thing from last year I decided to finish today. Ink, gouache and photoshop.

Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

doodlin' from imagination when I should be figure drawing

At least ranger dude sorta progressed from potential sex offender to loveable idiot child.

Monoliths posted:

Hi everyone. You all do such lovely work, I've dipped in and out throughout the years and the quality really is astonishing.

So, I've recently started a silly project that, I just realized last night, fits pretty well with this thread. For the last month or so I've been drawing 10 cartoon cats every weekday morning. There's a link under the title if you want to know more about why, dear lord why, I am doing this. Importantly: I make absolutely no claims of quality.

Here's a link to a tumblr of the cats so far. Sharpies & notecards only.

https://10dailycats.tumblr.com

Here's a selection to help you along on your voyage.

These are super cute and I love them!

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

getting there

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
It looks like you're definitely absorbing what was in that video you linked, the painting feels a similar style to those pics (though not as saturated in general). The shading on the bottom of the jaw near the ear seems a touch too aggressive though, the liver-shape of darkest colour makes her jawline look off at a glance:

Triangle
Jul 30, 2011

so it's working as intended?

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
That's what I thought at first, but the positioning of the ear suggests otherwise - I was going to comment on the ear at first, it seems too low in that case, but the more I looked at it, the more I was getting mixed messages about it.

e: Me in over-thinking things shocker.

Stroszek
Apr 3, 2007

Ceci n'est pas un paresseux
Face practice, face and posture referenced from photo:

Stroszek fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jul 11, 2014

Billy Shears
Jul 9, 2009

I cut Paul's hair.

Humboldt Squid posted:

getting there

My eyes are definitely having trouble with the bottom plane of the chin and neck. There's something muddled about the connecting area between the two. Also, the head looks like it's jutting out in an uncomfortable way. I really dig the colors. I wish I could paint this well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

neonnoodle: I like that caterpillar.

donJonSwan: Digging the outfit design and color scheme on that one.

hallo spacedog: Regarding the smoothness, your brush looks like it was a little too soft and air-brushy. That kind of thing can take a lot of small and large scale management to avoid both noise and too much blending, and will vary based on how familiar you are with your brushes and workflow, or how good your brushes are.

No internet in the first half of the day, so I worked on figure drawing and focused on problem areas.

Locus fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jul 11, 2014

• Locked thread