Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Humboldt Squid posted:

I watched this video a few times, and I think something clicked finally
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nINus0lYQjo
It's nothing that I haven't read before regarding color, but I think that I needed to see it in action.

I tried to do a thing with this video in mind. I'm still a long way from "getting" it, but at least it was fun to make!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Going to call this sketch done for the time being.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
I just noticed the transistor (I think) symbol on her back - is that a watermark/signature thing? I really like it.

noggut
Jan 15, 2008

Humboldt Squid posted:

getting there

Painting looks good to me, but I think you wanted to show more volumes than would be possible from that angle, resulting in too little overlap in the volumes. You should use two mirrors to have a look. I also think you gave the neck itself more of an angle than what would be seen. Tried a PO to show my thoughts:

E: uuuh, I didn't see this second page and that you had called it done. Oh well!

noggut fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 11, 2014

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Man, I remember the first time I found out I was a house. Pretty much the same reaction too.
If you haven't been tested yet for residency yet you should probably get that done.
It's a lot easier to renovate yourself when you catch that stuff early.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Some quick line-art and graphic coloring on top of an even quicker ZBrush sculpt. Lots of fun, great way to work on both draftsmanship and 3D at the same time.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

E: Hey thank you! Took forever but playing with timing is almost the most fun part. Now to try something really crazy...

VVVVVVV

mareep fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 12, 2014

meataidstheft
Jul 31, 2005

Yous a lady Skwisgaar!
Okay that rules. I love the alternating speeds.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

:circlefap: How do you do your linework? I'm an absolute sucker for smooth lines like that, and I've not come up with a reliable way of doing it yet. Generally I use a hard round brush freehand, with pen pressure controlling width, but I'm not sure if my problems with that are from the method or just lack of practice.

e: Also, as a more general question, how useful have the better-than-me (ie, everyone) people found the advice of "you have to be able to draw a thing before you can paint it"? It's something I've heard a few times in the last week, but I don't have the skill to know if it's true or just a soundbite. Should I focus on purely construction/drawing, or is it useful to work on everything at once?

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 12, 2014

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

petrol blue posted:

:circlefap: How do you do your linework? I'm an absolute sucker for smooth lines like that, and I've not come up with a reliable way of doing it yet. Generally I use a hard round brush freehand, with pen pressure controlling width, but I'm not sure if my problems with that are from the method or just lack of practice.

I work really loose at first and sketch out my ideas kinda quick. Then I trace over those block outs. I do the final lines at a pretty high resolution. Couple thousand pixels wide. Anywhere from 3k to 6k. That helps things look smooth when you downrez for web viewing. I use a hard brush with the transfer settings (opacity) turned off. Round works ok for some people. I like a chisel tip or a triangle shaped brush personally.

Another neat trick is to make a selection around your whole drawing. Fill it in on a layer underneath with a base color and add a small 1 or 2 pixel stoke effect to the layer. It gives a nice clean outline to help pop things out. You gotta be smart with this and follow typical line art rules of overlapping or foreground shapes having thicker lines or it looks lovely.

Other then that draw with your shoulder, don't pet your lines and keep practicing.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Thanks, that helps a lot - it's good to know that I'm taking the right approach in general!

As to drawing from the shoulder - my graphics tablet is an A6 wacom, or an A5 android (samsung note, I'm so in love with it): is that too small for loose work like that? I'm vaguely planning on saving for something bigger (likely a medium intuos), but it'd help to know if it's a legit 'this is holding you back' or more a 'trying to solve lack of technique by throwing cash at it'.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

petrol blue posted:

e: Also, as a more general question, how useful have the better-than-me (ie, everyone) people found the advice of "you have to be able to draw a thing before you can paint it"? It's something I've heard a few times in the last week, but I don't have the skill to know if it's true or just a soundbite. Should I focus on purely construction/drawing, or is it useful to work on everything at once?

I think it's pretty true. It might just be as simple as time investment: It takes way less time to do 10,000 drawings than 10,000 paintings. Why not burn your beginner poo poo-art out in the fastest way possible? Drawing is fast, accessible, portable, and teaches you stuff that's relevant to any media: line, tone, texture, shape, space, etc. Your painting of a house isn't going to look good ever unless you can draw a house and put in the right values and proportion and all that. Granted, someone who's good at drawing but using oils for the first time is gonna have a pretty poo poo painting. It'll still probably look better than a painting by a novice to both though, and they'll be able to improve their output much faster as they get more familiar with the paint.

I guess it depends on how much realism you have in your paintings, but again I think you need a pretty good understanding of the barest components before abstracting them in ways that work and make artistic sense. Drawing will always help!

Lanth
Jun 15, 2007
Lipstick Apathy
Some thumbnails I've done. (Sorry for the instagram filters, don't have the originals anymore.)

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."

This is a more realistic reimagining of the character Morgan LaFlay from the game Tales of Monkey Island. :sigh:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Some sort of ant bot thing that does something of some sort. Also my daughter's toy frog up in the corner because she asked me to draw it looking at the "robot thing". Sorry for the scanner shadow. I made a few of my own sketchbooks, and they don't lay flat so good. :(

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
I realized that my yesterday's contribution wasn't very thematic, therefore

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

It's been a while since I've posted here!!

Decided to give my screen printing kit a test run and I'm pretty happy with the results. I know what to fix up drawing wise and what steps to do differently for my first actual print.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I followed the advise from a video someone posed earlier (sycra.net) about limiting colors to a "split complementary palette": only sample from there, and mix everything else. For me, it was a wonderful experience, and I made something I'm actually not embarrassed about in color!

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Been looking at a bit of Durer, love that woodcut vibe.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
I'm currently working on a drawing of the Squale from "14", a novel by Peter Clines. These are some pattern work-ups I did. (The squale is part of a much larger scene, but I scanned just the beast so I could mess with patterning.)

Just lines

Pointallism (I wanted this one to look kind of like the skin of a Sperm Whale.)

Pointallism again
(I like this one, because the stripes imply a predator/prey relationship with some other, possibly larger, creature (The squale is about 900 feet long in the story.))

Any thoughts, opinions?

Genesplicer fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 14, 2014

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
The third one is clearly missing something.

Edit: Are there just supposed to be the three? I thought the empty img tags were missing an image.

supermikhail fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 14, 2014

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
I don't know the creature/story, but I'd say the body looks a bit too solid & heavy for those sized wings. Obviously, it's not actually got to fly, so it's just an aesthetic thing...

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Pretending I can make awesome armour designs. It turned into a colorful clown >_<

edit
Have some more.

Imaginary Friend fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jul 16, 2014

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

Does anyone know what this style of art is called?

I want to do some research on zombies done this way with the very stylized black lines.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
Comic book? :downs:

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

Yeah tried that but there are so many different types of comic book art...

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
No idea, but please let me know if you find out, I love that style. Reminds me of the artwork in framed ink.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Looks a bit like a variant of rotoscoping

mjau
Aug 8, 2008
It looks like the sort of look you get when you ink something so it looks complete in just black and white, and then add flat-ish color in the white bits later. Although if that's what they did, they've removed some black and also redone the fleshy bits in a different style

Anyway.. i don't know what it's called, but colored black/white, maybe? Sharply shadowed something something?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

ExplodingSquid posted:

Does anyone know what this style of art is called?

I want to do some research on zombies done this way with the very stylized black lines.

I doubt it has a name. It kinda follows a comic tradition of doing line work so that it works as B&W but is able to also be colored in, but really I'd think it's just that the artist likes heavy black shadows + color.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

dupersaurus posted:

I doubt it has a name. It kinda follows a comic tradition of doing line work so that it works as B&W but is able to also be colored in, but really I'd think it's just that the artist likes heavy black shadows + color.

You can get this part by googling "Mignola-esque" as long as you don't mind it looking nothing at all like that cowboy zombie. :v:

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
Goons, I know it may look bad, or at least weird, but because I'm following a let's play of Tales of Monkey Island I got the feeling that I could have done better with the following.

I tried to find a picture with a more neutral face and repainted the nose and the mouth according to my new idea. I still feel that it could be closer without breaking realism, but I'm not sure. Possibly the cartoonishness just can't be translated well, especially the eyes where I can't do much because people just don't come with peepers like that. I'd appreciate any input and ideas. I also tried a kind of arabic nose, but then decided that it should be more of the buttony kind.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Sea scorpion mermaid

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Skeleton Bro

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."

^^^Oh. Er, half-skeleton bro.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

McKilligan posted:

Skeleton Bro

drat, that is awesome!

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
I decided to use my God-given right to apply textures to my drawings. What are some usual places people get brushes or maybe starter packs? I found some "Free Brushes" site, and the amount is as overwhelming as expected.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

McKilligan posted:

Skeleton Bro

This is fantastic. I love the woodcut aesthetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

• Locked thread