Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys
I made a sticker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galileo Fingers
Jun 28, 2008

A couple fairies doing fairy things.

Apso
May 30, 2008

:black101:

Cartyisme
Dec 23, 2011
Figured I'd post this here. It's 36 x48 inches.

http://cartyis.cartyis.me/nietfull.jpg

Beauyaka
Aug 16, 2005
!i!i!
Well this thread is downright intimidating!

I've been on a 'Draw more days than not' kick lately and I bought 2 colored pencils and a charcoal one:

Godzilla from a still, a couple days ago:

In keeping with the month's theme, a hiking robot I did today:

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Cartyisme posted:

Figured I'd post this here. It's 36 x48 inches.

http://cartyis.cartyis.me/nietfull.jpg

Goddamn do I love your designs. The saturated colors are like a goddamn sugar rush for my brain.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Went to the zoo.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Planetside 2 is fun, but lackluster in visuals. Decided to try to do some some concepts.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

McKilligan posted:

Skeleton Bro

Holy poo poo I love this so much.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

He looks more sad than grumpy, I still need a hella lot of practice...

e: On the other hand, I'm getting better at scanning pencil-work!

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
I did a life drawing based on an acquaintance.

Also, Doodle or Die is sometimes a hilarious practice tool. Two of the recent sketches I did as part of the SA room's chains.

Don't ask me why I went from "Fat Tomato Judges Shootouts, But That's About To Change" to "Fat Tomato is about to be murdered by an enraged Cooking Mama"... But god-drat, if that one wasn't great to do! (I seriously want to redo this one in Photoshop)

It's a monocled (shoulda made that clearer) dude parachuting from a flaming blimp while a tropical island is nearby. What else do you want? :haw:

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 26, 2014

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."

JamieTheD posted:

I did a life drawing based on an acquaintance.

Most likely the eyes are too large and too wide, and the nose and mouth too small. You might want to invest into pencils of different hardness. The problem with your shading is that you jiggle your pensil both ways, while you should do even strokes with a defined end and beginning, preferably chosen by you ( :D ), also in a direction that makes sense for the shadow, which is a topic in itself (check out the drawing above you!).

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

supermikhail posted:

Most likely the eyes are too large and too wide, and the nose and mouth too small. You might want to invest into pencils of different hardness. The problem with your shading is that you jiggle your pensil both ways, while you should do even strokes with a defined end and beginning, preferably chosen by you ( :D ), also in a direction that makes sense for the shadow, which is a topic in itself (check out the drawing above you!).

Thanks for the tips, should have specified it was using a pencil-alike in Photoshop. But I'll definitely keep that in mind.

FAKE EDIT: Errrr... I just checked the proportions against the source photo. They match up :psyduck: (Edit: Except the width between the eyes, which, you're quite right, is off) . You're definitely right about the light direction. I mostly tried for above-right (natural) lighting, but some of those bits are more consistent with above-left.

DOUBLE EDIT: Is this at least consistent light sourcing and a slightly more fixed set of proportions, supermikhail? (The hair has darker coloured bits, so I left that largely unchanged.)

FINAL EDIT: Yegods, she's gone cross eyed! I knew I shouldn't have moved that eyeball iris in the first draft! Fixed in the original, I just moved the iris to a sensible position.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jul 26, 2014

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Well, the proportions could have been alright, but it didn't hurt to make sure. So... if it's Photoshop, why did you have to stick to a pencil? On top of everything else, shading is more effort than using brushes of varying sizes.

The shading of the face still looks bloomed-out (shadows not deep enough, unless that's the photo), but it's much more pleasant to look at. Oh, yeah, the proportions and lighting look consistent to me.

No, wait, I think the problem with shadows is that there's no gradation, at least on the right side of the picture - the density is the same, except in the conspicuous place at the nose. Try closs-hatching.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

supermikhail posted:

Well, the proportions could have been alright, but it didn't hurt to make sure. So... if it's Photoshop, why did you have to stick to a pencil? On top of everything else, shading is more effort than using brushes of varying sizes.

The shading of the face still looks bloomed-out (shadows not deep enough, unless that's the photo), but it's much more pleasant to look at. Oh, yeah, the proportions and lighting look consistent to me.

No, wait, I think the problem with shadows is that there's no gradation, at least on the right side of the picture - the density is the same, except in the conspicuous place at the nose. Try closs-hatching.

Yeah, the photo was a bit bloomy to my eyes, and I should have done more cross hatching. As to why I stuck to a pencil-like brush? Practice, really. Plus, I like it for proportion sketching, because I'm used to pencils, so it feels right to me. Anyways, thanks for that, I'll keep that advice in mind for the future! (I've still got a ways to go, but hey, gettin' there!)

EDIT: As an aside...

McKilligan posted:

Planetside 2 is fun, but lackluster in visuals. Decided to try to do some some concepts.

McK, can you give us a closeup of that last one on the right? I'd like to see whatcha did there in more detail.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 26, 2014

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Giganto scans of more work doodles.

Beach dude.

Unfinished bird on cliff

and finally one on this month's theme:

What? You don't know if that poop monster with a lazy eye is a robot or not. :colbert:

E: entire album here:
http://imgur.com/gallery/NrIka

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 26, 2014

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Pigeons eh

Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

Weekly sketchbook stuff. I like how the pattern/texture studies turned out.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
..some dragon.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I find it really hard to do things if I don't have all the facts and knowledge there in my head, so I'm starting right down at base level and doing some skeletal figures. After that I can progress to actual bodies, then start adding clothes to them, then move on to faces and hair, etc.

Whether that's the best plan is debatable, but this is the only way I've found to really motivate myself to draw.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Whether that's the best plan is debatable, but this is the only way I've found to really motivate myself to draw.

If that's true, then that's the best plan for now.

beats
Oct 21, 2010
Practicing faces and ended up with an elf...rebel? :shrug:

(No I still can't draw figures or use colours by the way :colbert:)

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I find it really hard to do things if I don't have all the facts and knowledge there in my head, so I'm starting right down at base level and doing some skeletal figures. After that I can progress to actual bodies, then start adding clothes to them, then move on to faces and hair, etc.

I've been drawing anatomy stuff for the last month or so for similar reasons. Have ideas in my head but the basics aren't there yet to my satisfaction. Only thing I'd mention is that I was writing notes like you were in the beginning too. Now I don't bother. When you get better and look at your old drawings it will be fairly obvious what's wrong with them and you'll probably see things you didn't see when you made the notes.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
Finished up this weeks painting. Felt good to do an environment.

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Incoming NSFW

Incoming NSFW

This is roughly about five days of sketching. I have like seven more I didn't scan because I wasn't really satisfied with them.

Moving over to brests now, as well as trying to make the vaginas look more correct.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

gotta make a lithograph for school so i super roughed out this to transfer onto a block of limestone

"death comes for the digital artist"

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011
That's funny and cool. Good job

diddy kongs feet
Dec 11, 2012

wanna lick the dirt out between ur chimp toes

bitmap posted:

gotta make a lithograph for school so i super roughed out this to transfer onto a block of limestone

"death comes for the digital artist"

Yea this rules.
Saw an article about you on my university homepage and was super psyched, sounds like you're going places dude.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

gently caress off, you go to RMIT too?

diddy kongs feet
Dec 11, 2012

wanna lick the dirt out between ur chimp toes
Yeah man but I'm studying boring comp sci junk because it seems to be impossible to get a visual art career started in aus. I literally did not even know they did animation there and am genuinely kind of assessing why I don't start up a double degree with it or something. But yeah, dude, super psyched to see you're making things happen, really motivating.

some sketches for content

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

diddy kongs feet posted:

Yeah man but I'm studying boring comp sci junk because it seems to be impossible to get a visual art career started in aus. I literally did not even know they did animation there and am genuinely kind of assessing why I don't start up a double degree with it or something. But yeah, dude, super psyched to see you're making things happen, really motivating.

some sketches for content

yeah man the course is really good. I mean, it's what you make it and you could do exactly the same thing with the animator's survival kit and some gumption, but that's true of every degree(sub out animators survival kit for: wealth of nations, "understanding wood" and physics textbooks).

I just started a studio with some dudes in the nicholson building on the corner of swanston and flinders lane. You should come say hi!

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
I kind of got inspired.

Triangle
Jul 30, 2011

Heh. If I was actually unchill, I would be using all caps and/or exclamation marks in my posts, but I am chill. Clowns like you make me laugh, that's what clowns do. Added to my ignore list.
today i really sat down and spent several hours on studies on what feels like the weakest aspect in my art: the dick & pussy

TheAbominableSnow
Nov 20, 2012

a thousand puns and not one of them worth saying
Trying to get in the habit of sharing my daily doodles, since the end product always looks a little nicer when I know other people will see it.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys
Started drawing this robot fella. Lost my steam unfortunately.

Critique welcome.

Pumpkin Spoon
Jan 12, 2007

TheAbominableSnow posted:

Trying to get in the habit of sharing my daily doodles, since the end product always looks a little nicer when I know other people will see it.

Oh hey, is that a Nuckelavee? Really nice work, I like how dynamic the poses are, especially for such an oddly shaped creature.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

nudes

hope they come off less creepy than the vagina pics

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I wasn't really sure how the back of this thing should look so there's a huge white area where... something might have been

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

bitmap posted:

gently caress off, you go to RMIT too?

That sounds like a place where all the really smart retards go. Retard MIT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

circ dick soleil posted:

That sounds like a place where all the really smart retards go. Retard MIT.

So you got rejected?

• Locked thread