Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Seriously. Soccer fans. Explain the logic of "stoppage time" and why it's a mystery to the players and the fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

redshirt posted:

Seriously. Soccer fans. Explain the logic of "stoppage time" and why it's a mystery to the players and the fans.

it's called magic. now shut up and drink.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
At 9 am? this is why soccer sucks.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

dontcareaboutname posted:

you mean 12 noon? stop being a baby.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

dontcareaboutname posted:

I don't know what you talk about. It's at 10PM and perfect to get shitfaced.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Also the 3 largest sports leagues by revenue in the world are the NFL, NBA, and MLB.

insaneway
Feb 10, 2014

I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.
-Jurgen Klinsmann-

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

As an American youre the 12th man and as such its your job to keep your boys motivated. Try your best.

As a Texan the Aggiea have ruined the 12th man for me...so gently caress Aggies

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
last 2 games were at 9 am pacific standard i'm not paying much attention.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
bomb belgium if we lose

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Daedra posted:

bomb belgium if we lose

i do believe Belgium is a fantasy country that doesn't really exist. so bombing would be a tad bit problematic.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Daedra posted:

bomb belgium if we lose

Not quite difficult, there are already around 20 US nukes on Belgian soil, just activate them.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

THS posted:

i could die tomorrow and our soccer team wouldnt know, you could die tomorrow too. is the 12th man thing why people riot and act like fools?

our soccer team could die tommorrow and i wouldn't know. anyway good luck in the waffle contest team USA

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

Agrajag posted:

you mean 12 noon? stop being a baby.

10 pm meaning i'll be fully blasted by kickoff :cheers:

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

newreply.php posted:

10 pm meaning i'll be fully blasted by kickoff :cheers:

pacing is for bitch-mades. you're doing it right. :hfive:

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012
Actually im really sorry but youre all wrong kick off is at 9pm GMT sharp, and we invented time so...

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

4PM in the greatest time zone in the world, Eastern.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Zzulu posted:

what is it with americans and their need to hate on soccer

the sourest of grapes

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Zzulu posted:

what is it with americans and their need to hate on soccer

Its just the fat ones, they hate people who can move under their own power

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
if we win will this be called the miracle on grass?

insaneway
Feb 10, 2014

I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.
-Jurgen Klinsmann-

Rhymenoserous posted:

if we win will this be called the miracle on grass?

Miracle in the Jungle sounds better

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The Rumble in the Jungle.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Soccerlypse Now.

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

Agrajag posted:

pacing is for bitch-mades. you're doing it right. :hfive:

mostly because its impossible to reach the bar through the crowd once the game begins. even if you could who takes their eyes off the game for that long? in the BEL-GHA game i took a guy's (standing) place because he was ordering drinks during a corner kick and people laughed at him when he got mad at me

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

No way, your coach Jürgen Klinsman is a legend and i think the story would be about the disciplined German coach who has to somehow defy the odds to mould a gang of ragtag yankee misfits into an unstoppable force using unexpected methods and often with hilarious consequences.

i'd watch this. also going on record as an american who loves football. i kicked rear end at it as a kid and tackling the gently caress out of other kids, perfect lob passes and not letting goals in will always be good memories for me

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

my freedom blocks all negative thoughts

usa usa usa

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
Played soccer as a kid and really never managed to do anything. Didn't know the rules, did it because my parents kind of made me.

Mach5
Aug 1, 2004

Shatfaced!

Daedra posted:

bomb belgium if we lose

If we Americans had any skill at geography, you'd bet that would be the first option on the table. Those fuckers put mayo on fries, correctamundo? That's enough to whip us Yanks up into a killbombing frenzy.

Honestly though, I kinda like soccer but the players need to take a page from pro wrasslin' and at least make their injuries/writhing around on the ground look at least plausible and/or halfway realistic. As it is, they all look like a bunch of weenie crybabies that the local grade school soccer team would bulldoze over.

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

Mach5 posted:

If we Americans had any skill at geography, you'd bet that would be the first option on the table. Those fuckers put mayo on fries, correctamundo? That's enough to whip us Yanks up into a killbombing frenzy.

Honestly though, I kinda like soccer but the players need to take a page from pro wrasslin' and at least make their injuries/writhing around on the ground look at least plausible and/or halfway realistic. As it is, they all look like a bunch of weenie crybabies that the local grade school soccer team would bulldoze over.

football needs video refs that deny free kicks for schwalbes even if the defense was in error, problem solved

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Mach5 posted:

As it is, they all look like a bunch of weenie crybabies that the local grade school soccer team would bulldoze over.

I don't know when this stupid fad started. There was a time when players would not cry unless they had double fractures or something. I blame latin players.

Mach5
Aug 1, 2004

Shatfaced!

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I don't know when this stupid fad started. There was a time when players would not cry unless they had double fractures or something. I blame latin players.

Back in my youthful, soccer-playing days, I can't remember all of the times I was:

a) Slightly injured by getting tripped and skinning an arm or leg due to collision with the ground, and getting grass stains as a result.
b) getting a rash from those lame shin guards.
c) bonking a soccer ball with my head and realizing, 'Jesus Christ, this is the gayest game ever'.

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012
I assume you're all watching Argentina vs. Switzerland since the winner is who you will play next if you beat the Belgians? Surprisingly Switzerland are looking the tastier of the two sides and might just win it (it's extra time at the moment) and you do not want to face the Argies.

Guancho
Aug 23, 2010

You don't write any postcards when you're on the road to self-discovery
I hope when America loses we go back to not giving a poo poo about soccer again. those were the good old days.

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Guancho posted:

I hope when America loses we go back to not giving a poo poo about soccer again. those were the good old days.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Something that most of the world enjoy has an international tournament literally only once every four years and even though I am under no obligation to watch it whatsoever it annoys me that people get to enjoy the thing they like a bit more for a few weeks!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

yeah it's definitely the latin players. i dont know how rolling around on the ground is an effective technique. you're not in the game or helping at all. its pretty ridiculous.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
So long as baseball is a professional sport you can't really expect anyone to take you complaints about soccer seriously.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
The only reason Americans hate soccer is because we put no effort into getting good at it and now we suck.

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012
Well, looks like you'll face Argentina if you get through then... good luck with that.

Watch out they like to be cheating loving bastards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ccNkksrfls

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

Well, looks like you'll face Argentina if you get through then... good luck with that.

Watch out they like to be cheating loving bastards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ccNkksrfls

lol pulling poo poo like that where you really obviously break the rules would probably get you loving shot in the NBA or NFL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Robo Reagan posted:

lol pulling poo poo like that where you really obviously break the rules would probably get you loving shot in the NBA or NFL

I don't think there's a single Englishman who doesn't still visibly tense up when the hand of god incident is mentioned to this very day, it's probably history's greatest injustice ever. That said Maradona followed this directly with pretty much the goal of the century. Basically what I'm saying is don't underestimate them sure Maradona's a washed up coke fiend now but now they got Messi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF_2arqQLwo

• Locked thread