Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

Can we please make July the month where we all operate in accordance with our oaths and we respect sovereign citizens?

i do not stand under you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
I always had the opinion that nobody really messes with the police in places like France and Germany because they'd give you a hiding if you did (and get away with it too).

Always fun watching documentaries involving police in other countries. Remember watching a "Brits Abroad" kind of documentary showing some women on holiday in Spain getting a bit rowdy. Cop tells them to calm it down and one woman in particular starts giving him a load of poo poo. Next thing she knows her head is spinning because the cop gave her an almighty backhander. It's amazing what they can get away with in other countries. The woman started ranting about how "YOU CAN'T DO THAT" and the whole business, think she had a sudden epiphany on how patient English cops are!!

I find it fascinating how a lot of problems we face as cops are the same across the board regardless of culture, language, country, etc. I believe a goon did a documentary in a nordic country but it was in moonspeak so I couldn't understand the subtly of some of the situations but it was really interesting to see that sorting out drunken people being dicks is a standard human law enforcement problem.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
http://gfycat.com/HideousConsiderateBlackcrappie

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Whale Cancer posted:

The Dutch carry some pretty monster batons. I don't even carry a baton on my person. I'd like to but they're just so drat akward.

I think it was a public order event so they're kitted out for it

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
4/10

in other news

https://twitter.com/BTPLancs/status/487317571197501441

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

chartley posted:

Don't tell me, is that filmed just after they arrived on scene to find local stations had it under control and tried to shift responsibility for it even though the entire incident happened on a sodding train?

(I may be a touch raw from your colleagues last week)

The Scottish division generally doesn't have a good reputation internally...

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
Apparently the police rehab centre has the best canteen in the UK. Their sausages are incredible according to several sources.

Hope you're paying your fees for it chartley!

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at0pLjs7sY4

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Snowdens Secret posted:

Why are there so many vids of scrawny, often mixed-gender Britcop teams putting themselves in awfully low-priority-looking scenarios where they're outnumbered and out of sight of any lines of support?

Because we're at the lowest amount of officers we've had since the 1960s?

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Whale Cancer posted:

Uhh why the hell didn't those brit cops pick that son of a bitch and slam him on the ground? You fuckers really need to get some tasers. You get one order to put your hands behind your back and then the taser comes out. Then it's a do it or get tased and if I don't get an immediate response it's time to ride the lightning.

Probably because if they did that then they'd either have been attacked by the mob that was forming, or they'd be in even hotter water than they are now. Yes, they are actually being investigated because of this incident and the media are spinning police brutality stories like they're going out of fashion.

Plus, body slams just aren't cricket

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Whale Cancer posted:

You can't slam someone for resisting arrest? I don't literally mean a Hulk Hogan powerslam but grab their legs and dump them on the ground.

I did laugh at "He's on the drugs!" I'm going to start using that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Ian_Tomlinson

tl;dr police officer pushed him over during a riot (for no good reason, mind you) and the dude DIED about 10 minutes later

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

In my part-time professional opinion, that officer was on Cocaine and possibly PCP.

Really no need to crack out the CS or baton him though, could have dealt with that pretty easily with his ridged cuffs.

Our policy is to only cuff once he is under control and that doesn't look like he's under control. I most likely would've done something similar. It's clear that they're in a position where they can't control his arms or body because he's bunched up using a good centre of gravity and knows how to use his muscles for maximum resistance. Spray would've been my go-to tool to deal with the fella. I also would've been yelling in my radio for backup constantly, something that I can't remember seeing either of them do

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

I'm guessing that they probably have already called for backup and transport simply by the fact that people have had time to congregate. In the Met you'd have support in less than 4 minutes in the middle of the day but I've no idea how long TV have to wait.

We get taught to get the cuffs on a wrist ASAP and use the cuffs to maneuver them about and put them on the floor, which they to exceptionally well in my experience. During training I was getting floored by tiny female officers. Because I was the biggest guy in the class I got used for every demonstration and I'm acutely aware of how loving painful they are when someone is pushing them against the back of the wrist.

I doubt I would use CS that close to the target because I would end up 'gassed' and not able to see the crowd around me. Also we get in the poo poo if the CS is deployed closer than a meter because it can blind. Can always spray it in your hand and wipe it on his face.

I am pretty sure the met are one of the only (if not THE only) force that is still using CS

Everyone else uses PAVA

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
I've been PAVA'd twice and gassed once. I can say that whilst gas is a lot messier and makes your face run, PAVA just affects your eyes and is about 500x more painful. It also works on dogs, as opposed to OC / CS which more than occasionally doesn't

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Another week of 25+ hours of overtime. Please end my life.

End your life in a fireball of money and pro plus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
Spending my last night in London after a week of training. Do you guys do BASS? I didn't think it was all that useful and was kinda rubbish...

• Locked thread