Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Short answer, yes. The majority of JO SWOs get out after their initial obligation. To even fill the open department head spots they give people $75k and a free master's degree just for another 3-4 years of service. After that point, it makes little sense to not advance most of them.

I don't know the exact numbers, but yes, most SWOs that stick around will pick up O-4, but I would say the number actually advanced is probably similar to pilots. It's just that pilots aren't jumping to leave so the excess has to be cut somehow. SWOs already get rid of their excess numbers past the O-3 level.

The thing about this, and the reason the numbers for aviation are somewhat concerning, is that promotion boards are conducted without regard to designator. It's all URL designators in one tank. So promotion boards are not a tool for managing community numbers. That's what administrative boards like the various screen boards are supposed to do. But what is happening in aviation right now is that we have bled enough people that it's getting to the point where we don't have enough people to fill those spots. At the higher ranks you end up with open O5 billets or 13xx guys filling jobs that are supposed be for 1xxx guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Nick Soapdish posted:

Firsts like that just need to quickly and quietly turn to dust and not continue along instead. Or, better yet, be a Warrant in the Army.

My first QD watch, this dude was looking over my shoulder critiquing all of my friends' photos. and commenting on their outfits. Also mentioned he had never seen me at church and wondered what services I attended. I just heard he was hired on as a civilian.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

poopkitty posted:

My first QD watch, this dude was looking over my shoulder critiquing all of my friends' photos. and commenting on their outfits. Also mentioned he had never seen me at church and wondered what services I attended. I just heard he was hired on as a civilian.

He's gonna be the dude giving the speech about sexual harassment at indoc as part of his "agreement". Just calling it now. We have a civilian named Mike, who as part of his punishment for a fuckup involving hands where they should not be, it was decided that he shall give a sexual harassment brief every week to new check ins on base.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

poopkitty posted:

Beside the obvious of him being a creeper and needs to learn personal space, you should have told him you went to Temple on Saturday so that's why he doesn't see you on Sunday.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

orange juche posted:

He's gonna be the dude giving the speech about sexual harassment at indoc as part of his "agreement". Just calling it now. We have a civilian named Mike, who as part of his punishment for a fuckup involving hands where they should not be, it was decided that he shall give a sexual harassment brief every week to new check ins on base.

Thank goodness, that part is my AOR. And there is NO WAY IN HELL he will be doing that.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Nick Soapdish posted:

Beside the obvious of him being a creeper and needs to learn personal space, you should have told him you went to Temple on Saturday so that's why he doesn't see you on Sunday.

I told him that that was none of his loving business. It was an uncomfortable watch after that.

not black enough
Oct 14, 2004

poopkitty posted:

Was her name Marcia?

She's a model now if we're talking about the same person.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

not black enough posted:

She's a model now if we're talking about the same person.

Aspiring, yes.

Were you one of the dudes that hung out in forward pallet and watched her on the stairmaster?

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

vulturesrow posted:

So promotion boards are not a tool for managing community numbers. That's what administrative boards like the various screen boards are supposed to do. But what is happening in aviation right now is that we have bled enough people that it's getting to the point where we don't have enough people to fill those spots.

This. I don't know what it's like in the other communities, but the VFA community is facing a situation where the people getting selected don't like how things are being managed and choosing to get out.

This is the situation we're facing next year:

55 dept head positions
47 selected for O4
20+ of selectees dropped their letters

So yeah. The reason our bonus is so high is basically quality of life + employability outside the navy. We were struggling to keep good people before this nonsense started and CNAF is livid that Big Navy is greatly exacerbating an already challenging manning problem.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Hey guys just poppin' in here to say I'm still out of the Navy and have a job and have never been happier and never not not re-enlist. Also: I was never a malingerer, when I got out I reported all medical issues (as instructed), didn't embellish my problems, was totally honest, didn't try to take advantage of the system, etc.

I never expected to get ANYTHING from the VA except a few 0% ratings.

All I have to say is: holy poo poo make sure you do your VA claims when/before you separate because you may be VERY surprised and happy with what/how much they compensate you for. I don't need to go into specifics for me, but I cannot stress this enough.

I.E. Do you have back pain? GO THE gently caress TO MEDICAL AND LET THEM KNOW!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

dialhforhero posted:

Hey guys just poppin' in here to say I'm still out of the Navy and have a job and have never been happier and never not not re-enlist. Also: I was never a malingerer, when I got out I reported all medical issues (as instructed), didn't embellish my problems, was totally honest, didn't try to take advantage of the system, etc.

All I have to say is: holy poo poo make sure you do your VA claims when/before you separate because you may be VERY surprised and happy with what/how much they compensate you for. I don't need to go into specifics for me, but I cannot stress this enough.

Are you officially a hipster now?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

vulturesrow posted:

Are you officially a hipster now?

No. I don't have a beard, smoke pot, or shop at Whole Foods. Sorry :shrug:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

dialhforhero posted:

No. I don't have a beard, smoke pot, or shop at Whole Foods. Sorry :shrug:

You're loving this up.

not black enough
Oct 14, 2004

poopkitty posted:

Aspiring, yes.

Were you one of the dudes that hung out in forward pallet and watched her on the stairmaster?

Nah. She was a great CFL. Having us do some sort of salsa warm up bullshit before PRTs and hating on all the fatties. Oh and yoga pants 24/7.

not black enough fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 16, 2014

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
"Hmm, 80+ posts in the Navy thread. I wonder what happened?"

"Oh just some aviators crying about O4 promotions. lol"

Also SWO selection for this last board was 92% :laffo: God have mercy on us all

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Also, I have zero sympathy for Aviators crying about O4 promotions considering having a metric fuckload of non upwardly mobile aviator LCDRs clogging up the URL community's totals is what hosed up the last 3 or so years of promotions leading to a drop in promotion rates and zone tinkering that pushed my O4 look about 2 years to the right compared to my RL year group peers.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

ManMythLegend posted:

Also, I have zero sympathy for Aviators crying about O4 promotions considering having a metric fuckload of non upwardly mobile aviator LCDRs clogging up the URL community's totals is what hosed up the last 3 or so years of promotions leading to a drop in promotion rates and zone tinkering that pushed my O4 look about 2 years to the right compared to my RL year group peers.

As an IP getting ready for my in-zone look at just over 7 YCS, can confirm. RL life best life.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
Some dude on the ship that just drydocked just made himself a bunch of Japanese enemies by almost shooting them with a shotline. Rubber bullet bounced off the coping so fast it reeked like burnout. rear end in a top hat.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

ManMythLegend posted:

Those non-upwardly mobile O4s (and to a lesser extent O-5s) are the ones covering the Surface Warfare community's rear end in filling billets that they can't cover because they ran off their entire office corps. ;)

And what's even funnier than the amount of SWO's that got promoted to O4 is the number that got promoted on their above zone look.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

vulturesrow posted:

Those non-upwardly mobile O4s (and to a lesser extent O-5s) are the ones covering the Surface Warfare community's rear end in filling billets that they can't cover because they ran off their entire office corps. ;)

And what's even funnier than the amount of SWO's that got promoted to O4 is the number that got promoted on their above zone look.

I'm not arguing about the state of the SWO community at all. Just enjoying some delicious schadenfreude at the expense of the aviation community.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Boon posted:

You're loving this up.

I've been out for a year now and I had a beard when I got out but I shaved it about 5 months ago. I feel like I did my duty upon exit. I don't keep myself clean shaven but I don't go full beard anymore either.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

ManMythLegend posted:

I'm not arguing about the state of the SWO community at all. Just enjoying some delicious schadenfreude at the expense of the aviation community.

Well I can't deny you that, I know you don't have many opportunities to feel delight as a SWO. ;) The numbers don't affect me; my die was cast long ago. I do feel for the guys that are doing the "right things" and not getting promoted. It will be interesting to see how the inevitable over correction plays out the next few years.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

dialhforhero posted:

There was a chick that found out she had Lupus just because she kept going to medical even after the idiot on the ship would just give her Motrin and tell her to go away, he never logged that she came in either and it wasn't until the flight surgeon noticed what was going on and asked that she got care when she needed. So yeah, go the gently caress to medical.

Also, doing OJT at the pharmacy since my HM3 is a super motivated petty officer that wants to do good for his guys in any way he thinks he can without voluntelling us to do things. I've learned that the pharmacy here doesn't just have Motrin. The number of dependents trying to milk the government for opiates and poo poo is hilarious though. "Oh no, I never got that script" they say as it shows in the system that they picked it up yesterday and you remember giving it to them.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Pandasmores posted:

There was a chick that found out she had Lupus just because she kept going to medical even after the idiot on the ship would just give her Motrin and tell her to go away, he never logged that she came in either and it wasn't until the flight surgeon noticed what was going on and asked that she got care when she needed. So yeah, go the gently caress to medical.

Also, doing OJT at the pharmacy since my HM3 is a super motivated petty officer that wants to do good for his guys in any way he thinks he can without voluntelling us to do things. I've learned that the pharmacy here doesn't just have Motrin. The number of dependents trying to milk the government for opiates and poo poo is hilarious though. "Oh no, I never got that script" they say as it shows in the system that they picked it up yesterday and you remember giving it to them.
95% sure I know the girl you are talking about and she was in my A-school and then my shop at my command :stare: Small world!

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

ManMythLegend posted:

No SWO should ever have sympathy for any aviator. Ever.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
The command is upset at the lack of participation in the JSA and FCPOA. You'd think the 60% chief advancement rate would be a good indicator that people don't give a poo poo about clique organizations and just have their sights set on getting the gently caress out.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Sir Lucius posted:

The command is upset at the lack of participation in the JSA and FCPOA. You'd think the 60% chief advancement rate would be a good indicator that people don't give a poo poo about clique organizations and just have their sights set on getting the gently caress out.

Unacceptable. More bake sales are needed.

We now need to lock our classrooms when they are empty. I'll reiterate that students can only be in the classrooms when we are, and some of us leave pretty often due to collaterals and poo poo. Also we have to put the students in break every hour, and their break is our break so we'll leave then too. This wouldn't be an enormous deal if there were more than three loving keys.

I'd text the guys with the keys but we aren't allowed to have cell phones in this unclass building.

The lack of trust the upper chain shows to us here is absurd, and I can't wait for all of the training stoppage to be reported to big brother Dahlgren, and the IG comes next week so that'll be good. Maybe we can get this CO fired? Probably not though.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nah they're just going to take away your break.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

Nah they're just going to take away your break.

Peru sure next week we're all getting chained to our podiums.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

PneumonicBook posted:

Unacceptable. More bake sales are needed.

We now need to lock our classrooms when they are empty. I'll reiterate that students can only be in the classrooms when we are, and some of us leave pretty often due to collaterals and poo poo. Also we have to put the students in break every hour, and their break is our break so we'll leave then too. This wouldn't be an enormous deal if there were more than three loving keys.

I'd text the guys with the keys but we aren't allowed to have cell phones in this unclass building.

The lack of trust the upper chain shows to us here is absurd, and I can't wait for all of the training stoppage to be reported to big brother Dahlgren, and the IG comes next week so that'll be good. Maybe we can get this CO fired? Probably not though.

Where the gently caress are you teaching? Pensacola? Sounds like some dumb poo poo that would exist in Pensacola.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

orange juche posted:

Where the gently caress are you teaching? Pensacola? Sounds like some dumb poo poo that would exist in Pensacola.

FC A in great lakes.

I left my water bottle in a locked classroom.

It took me 24 minutes to get it back.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Life would have been so much easier if we had just gone to war with russia

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
I've had a large amount of x86 and ARM registers jammed into my skull along with some basic assembly in the past day. The previous day was signed and unsigned integer operations in binary. Tomorrow will be something else entirely.

This could give people aneurysms.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Ah JCAC. You're never going to remember everything, but the modules they give are still pretty good. Just try to filter every paragraph to a few key bullet points, it's not too often they drill you for nitty gritty details, but if something is written down it could be on the test. That's the one thing I liked about the JCAC tests, if I ever got a question wrong I could look up what it said in the module and see why. It's been 2 and a half years since I've done any of that stuff tho.

If you ever need help with something let me know, I loved learning that stuff.

not black enough
Oct 14, 2004

So I'm driving from san diego to norfuck soon for a 4 months of school. Never made the trip before. Anyone have any suggestions/ tips? (like don't stop in Gary, Indiana)

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

not black enough posted:

So I'm driving from san diego to norfuck soon for a 4 months of school. Never made the trip before. Anyone have any suggestions/ tips? (like don't stop in Gary, Indiana)

How much time are you taking to do the trip?

nacirema
Nov 18, 2008
Got my orders today for surgical tech. C school. So not please with it, I just want to go to some hospital and go to school.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

nacirema posted:

Got my orders today for surgical tech. C school. So not please with it, I just want to go to some hospital and go to school.

Huh, first time I have ever seen anybody bitch about getting a C-school, figures it would be a corpsman.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

not black enough posted:

Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico. I have to stop there every time I drive across the country. Sleep your way through all of Texas. Hit New Orleans if you have time. Large parts of the south are good for scenery on the drive. If you've never been to Norfolk, hang out in Ghent in the evenings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

DustyNuts posted:

Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico. I have to stop there every time I drive across the country. Sleep your way through all of Texas. Hit New Orleans if you have time. Large parts of the south are good for scenery on the drive. If you've never been to Norfolk, hang out in Ghent in the evenings.

Ghent is pretty nice actually, some great places to eat around there too.

• Locked thread