Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I think people who don't like beans were probably raised in homes where their parents were able to be retarded in the kitchen due to lack of government oversight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
I have a large (1 lb) bag of dried birds eye chilis that I want to use to make some hot sauce but dont want to defer to gws if I can help it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Xaris posted:

i miss good eats. alton actually seemed happy doing that compared to his poo poo competition shows where hes a burnt out husk of a human being and looks bored to tears.

Choosing the next Food Network Star is a very solemn and serious responsibility that should not be taken lightly.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Three Olives posted:

Choosing the next Food Network Star is a very solemn and serious responsibility that should not be taken lightly.

This picture makes me wish I was black.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
yes, goons are complete assholes for no good reason who ruin even the simplest things thanks for asking op

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

Decrepus posted:

I think people who don't like beans were probably raised in homes where their parents were able to be retarded in the kitchen due to lack of government oversight.

being puerto rican, not only do i put beans in my chili, i eat it with rice

gently caress the gringos

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Decrepus posted:

yea i actually don't get the bean-hate. they're delicious and fantastic source of nutrients. i think it might be a european thing or just not being born around them, or watched too much salute your shorts and now believe all beans make you fart or something.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Opinions.

Bean in chili Good.
Mix steak tips with ground beef Good.
Rice, only if you put chili over it with a slice of bread under it.

Heat level, Shouldn't burn at both ends.

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

Kimchee stir fry with extra bok choy

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

rcman50166 posted:

whats the point of putting so much effort into something that it literally going to turn into poo poo?

- rcman, about working out

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

poo poo you're right here's a random quote

quote:

...but has a specific heat of about half that of water (2.46 J/g °C versus 4.19). And the average household freezer is calibrated for about -18 C (0 F). So if the object you're trying to cool is at 60 C (140 F), then what you're interested in is the fact that a gram of pure ethanol at -18 C will eat about 192 J, while a gram of pure water at 0 C will eat about 251 J (to get either to 60 C).

You're much better off just putting a bunch of ice cubes in water and using that as a water bath if you want to cool something off quickly.
why can't he just say he boiled a loving chicken

I'm not gonna flail around like some hillbilly, I'm a sophisticated and all grown up chef with a highly refined palate. Lemme check my equations here and hmmm, just as I suspected...

ICE MAKE THING COLD

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Twee as gently caress posted:

- rcman, about working out

even when im trying not to shitpost, you make it very tempting

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Xaris posted:

yea i actually don't get the bean-hate. they're delicious and fantastic source of nutrients. i think it might be a european thing or just not being born around them, or watched too much salute your shorts and now believe all beans make you fart or something.

yeah beans are like a staple of my diet. i'm eating beans right now

- mix different beans in a bowl
- add cut up crunchy vegetables you like
- add a smidgen of olive oil or whatever dressing you prefer
- take piece of pita and alternate between bean salad and hummus

loving delicious lunch

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

rcman50166 posted:

even when im trying not to shitpost, you make it very tempting

I'm being serious. You have applied the same philosophy you have with food ("It's all gonna turn to poo poo, why bother?") to working out ("It's all gonna decompose when I'm dead, why bother?")

That's a very unhealthy attitude

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

I'm being serious. You have applied the same philosophy you have with food ("It's all gonna turn to poo poo, why bother?") to working out ("It's all gonna decompose when I'm dead, why bother?")

what on earth is wrong with you

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

drat girl, your chicken giving me mad mouthfeels.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

eating healthy isnt hard. making a medium rare filet after getting it from a wagyu cow and aging for 3 months is.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

rcman50166 posted:

eating healthy isnt hard. making a medium rare filet after getting it from a wagyu cow and aging for 3 months is.

Apparently it is, otherwise there wouldn't be an obesity pandemic going on

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

sounds like fat apologism to me :clint:

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known
oh yeah, i call it the mouthfeel. "texture" is a neurotypical kinda word

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
actually tempted to make a chill homecooking thread on gws now

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Stalins Moustache posted:

you will regret that

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

rcman50166 posted:

you will regret that

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
If there is one thing I've learned is that the Truth is never, ever, anywhere in the middle.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Ootrek posted:

oh yeah, i call it the mouthfeel

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I made some bitching salmon with salt, pepper, some zatarans creole seasoning, and a bit of lemon. Cooked that poo poo for a few minutes a big rear end pan that had olive oil and some butter in it and that poo poo tasted loving delicious

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

Berk Berkly posted:

If there is one thing I've learned is that the Truth is never, ever, anywhere in the middle.

The D&D Axiom

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun
what the gently caress happened to just making a sandwich? throw what ever the gently caress on 2 pieces of bread and call it a day. make another one if you're still hungry.

Stalins Moustache posted:

assholes will ruin it with their stupid rear end in a top hat recipes

Ootrek posted:

being puerto rican, not only do i put beans in my chili, i eat it with rice

gently caress the gringos
i eat it over mashed potatoes

King of Internet
Nov 16, 2013

High King Internet of Internet
you ever want a really good snack slice up a dill pickle and some cheddar cheese

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
i'm a terrible cook. my only recipes often involve poptarts and a crippling depression

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

here is my chili "recipie" in sorry goons with spoons that i haven't dumped a huge load of autistic human being on top of this.

ground meat+lots of onion (diced small)+lots of bellpeper (diced small)+salt+pepper+garlic powder = cook that
when that is done add 1 can brooks "hot" chili beans (i dunno why that works so well it just loving does) and three cans of diced tomatoes, add some more seasonings too (i like to add some cayenne pepper, chili powder, more black pepper, cumin, and a big spoonfull (like three tablespoon worth) of franks red hot (but you could just add more cayenne, salt, and some vinegar instead).

if you've got some fresh peppers (i never do) you can/should dice and add these at the start with the meat.

cook all of this for actually not too long, you pretty much jsut want everything hot and the flavors to merge together a bit.

makes a really thick, fruity, bright and optionally (i prefer it this way) spicy chili without any pretense of fine dining or really even effort.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

I don't believe in food deserts for the most part, but americans (not just goons) are incredibly lazy and a lot of the poorer ones will be working a lot so they come home, eat a mcdonalds which makes them feel like poo poo the next day without realizing the reason why they have no energy to cook right or work out is that they eat fast food garbage so it's sort of a never ending mobeius strip of fat. i can see how a lot of americans are kind of stuck in the poo poo-eating cycle.

it's also quite insidious that most big (fast) food corporations have hijacked public school cafeterias reinforcing eating that garbage from an early age and with a lot of parents that either don't have time or knowledge (usually both) to cook right for their kids, they also grow up to be obese. it's loving bullshit that "tomato sauce is a vegetable, ergo pizza is a vegetable" and everyone with 2 brain cells knows it. proper cooking not something that's not commonly taught either due to standardization and barebones funding for those types of classes.

(goons don't really have an excuse though)

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW
I stick to chicken fingers, tater tots, fishsticks, frenchfries, and pizza rolls.

My hands are too chubby to use utensils, so I prefere these 'grabbin snacks', as I call them. Enjoy.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Xaris posted:

I don't believe in food deserts for the most part, but americans (not just goons) are incredibly lazy and a lot of the poorer ones will be working a lot so they come home, eat a mcdonalds which makes them feel like poo poo the next day without realizing the reason why they have no energy to cook right or work out is that they eat fast food garbage so it's sort of a never ending mobeius strip of fat. i can see how a lot of americans are kind of stuck in the poo poo-eating cycle.

it's also quite insidious that most big (fast) food corporations have hijacked public school cafeterias reinforcing eating that garbage from an early age and with a lot of parents that either don't have time or knowledge (usually both) to cook right for their kids, they also grow up to be obese. it's loving bullshit that "tomato sauce is a vegetable, ergo pizza is a vegetable" and everyone with 2 brain cells knows it. proper cooking not something that's not commonly taught either due to standardization and barebones funding for those types of classes.

yeah except that those two things are 100% bullshit because most of my life I've lived in so-called "food deserts" while also being poor as poo poo. I've got a budget of between $30-40 a week for food, how the gently caress am I supposed to be able to afford eating at McDonalds? That poo poo gets pretty loving expensive.

and also when I was in school we had pizza and fries and all sorts of unhealthy poo poo that is banned from public schools nowadays because it's too fat and not healthy enough, and even back then even 10 year old children understood that if you ate too much pizza and didn't move you'd get fat. children still understand that and no one is forcing them to have a second helping and to sit doing nothing

those 10 year olds need to bootstrap the gently caress up is what im saying

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
The only good thing to come out of that forum: The Hot Dog Rollup.
http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Hot_Dog_Rollup

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

GBS cooking threads in 2004/5 were great. Easy to acquire cheap ingredients that required almost no cooking skill. I remember a thread about making good ramen noodles. I think they called them Ninja ramen or something. The goon took pictures of himself dressed up like a ninja and adding Asian ingredients instead of the flavor packets. That made College a ton better. Pick up a ton of Ramen and some 1 time purchases of Asian sauces and spices to include in small amounts.

I think another goon did roasting a whole pig. The threads were about being entertaining and about making cheap food.

The threads started to get out of control and GWS was open. It wasn't used much but was still about making cheap stuff, then whatever this is happened at some point. At least the threads on alcohol tend to be sensible enough.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

pixaal posted:

The threads started to get out of control and GWS was open. It wasn't used much but was still about making cheap stuff, then whatever this is happened at some point. At least the threads on alcohol tend to be sensible enough.

If I wasn't on this site for as long as I have been, I wouldn't understand these statements.

Chefs=Insane
Drunks=Sensible

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pixaal is spot on w the summary BTW

Close GWS

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Hey op just get the biggest pot you got and fill it with chili or lentil soup and then freeze that poo poo

• Locked thread