Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

DRUNK HISTORY Season 2 airs every Tuesday at 10:00 PM EDT on Comedy Central.

(Season 1 archived thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3566160)

Q: What is Drunk History?
A: Let's see what Heather Campbell, editor of imdb.com has to say.

Heather Campbell posted:

“ Absolutely my favorite TV surprise of the past year, "Drunk History" jumped from web show to Comedy Central series last July, and after the first episode won me over as essential summer viewing.

The title tells you most of what you need to know: the show visits a different city each episode, a personality is plied with liquor of their choosing, and then attempts to recount a story from the history of the city. As we listen to this tipsy narrator relate their bit of history, we see a word-for-word re-enactment of that story brought to life by comedians, actors, musicians of every sort - last season's highlights included Will Forte and Adam Scott as Edwin and John Wilkes Booth, Aubrey Plaza as Sacagawea, Owen and Luke Wilson as the Kellogg brothers and Lisa Bonet as Mary Ellen Pleasant. This is not Deep Thought Theater. It is simply ridiculous, endless giggle-inducing viewing perfect for a summer evening. I cannot wait to see which cities they visit this season, and who the creators have wrangled to act out these gleefully wobbly takes on history

Uh, what?

Last year's notable stars included Jack McBrayer, Jason Ritter, Bob Odenkirk, Chris Parnell, Lisa Bonet, Nathan Fielder, Bill Hader, Jason Schwartzman, Jack Black, Terry Crews, Tony Hale, Rob Huebel, Winona Ryder, Owen Wilson, Luke Wilson, Ike Barinholtz, Michael Cera, Andrew Daly, Will Forte, Taran Killam, Steve Little, Rob Riggle, Ken Marino, Kumail Nanjiani, Aubrey Plaza, Adam Scott, Kristen Wiig, Kevin Nealon, Horatio Sanz, Bradley Whitford, Will Sasso, Dave Grohl, Tim Heidecker, Stephen Merchant, Fred Willard, Nick Offerman, and many, many more.

So basically if you've ever enjoyed any comedy ever you will probably laugh at least once while watching this show.

"Hey...

...blah blah. I got it."

Frequently Asked Question

Q: Are these guys actually drunk?!
A: Yes! Each interviewer recites their rehearsed story three times during the night, each time drunker than the last. Derek Waters and his team then edit together a complete telling of the story with the best parts and the script is made for the actors who reenact the stories. A/V Club posted a really great series of articles that provide some behind-the-scenes insight into the show and can be read in full here:

Part 1: http://www.avclub.com/articles/derek-waters-and-jeremy-konner-on-drunk-historys-f,102772/
Part 2: http://www.avclub.com/articles/drunk-historys-creators-on-detroit-dolly-parton-an,102804/2/

A full Season 2 episode title list can be found here. There's some good ones in store this season...looks like they're moving away from the one city per episode format a few times, too. And it looks like David Wain is going to get drunk and tell us a story. :allears:

"fuckin ONE TWO ONE TWO"

(btw it isn't all in black in white, just for certain stories)

timp fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jul 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I fell in love with this show just because of the premise alone. It's such a simple yet brilliant premise that I'm amazed that no one has thought of it before.

I'm honestly looking forward to the second season. Also one thing that that I hope this series does at some point would be to go to Europe at get some European history in here as well.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

There's a season 1 marathon going on right now for those of you who have never seen the show before.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

raditts posted:

There's a season 1 marathon going on right now for those of you who have never seen the show before.

God, I forgot like half of these.

"Mercury! On your genitals! Come on!"

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Oxojons and Carbatrons. That's molecules for ya.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Hazo posted:

Oxojons and Carbatrons. That's molecules for ya.

A billion Soy Beans for every... horse dick.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

404GoonNotFound posted:

God, I forgot like half of these.

"Mercury! On your genitals! Come on!"

"I'm putting sugar on my poo poo, gently caress you."

The dude eating part of the scrolling list killed me.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
opurtuntitties

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
20 bucks this guy's a goon.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Bowser is the girl you're trying to bang

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Uhoh a white lady.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Im moving to Burningman

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Zero One posted:

Im moving to Burningman

Literally crying at this part.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
"gently caress this I'm moving to Burning Man."

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Amber Ruffin is great. Also I would still do Lisa Bonett

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

What that gently caress was that Planet of the Apes commercial? That wasn't something from the actual movie, was it?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Ba da ba ba ba da ba ba

How are you, cup?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

How are you, cup?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Oh here we go, time for T-Money.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Was that Weird Al as Hitler?

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

muscles like this? posted:

Was that Weird Al as Hitler?

Pretty sure.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
No Jews. Thank you. Bye.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

My first thought was John C. McGinley but yeah that's loving Weird Al

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The TV IV>Drunk History: Hitler said: "Uh oh, Spaghettios. No jews."

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
I didn't recognize Tim Hiedecker

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Can't wait to watch the premiere in a little bit, but I just wanted to add that the funniest bit from the first season is definitely when they're talking about Al Capone. Cried laughing at multiple parts.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The biggest laugh of the episode for me was when the credits rolled and I found out that Hitler was played by Weird Al.

And whoever the young actress who played Claudette Colvin is was hilarious too

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Can someone make a looping gif of Terry Crews like fuckin' one-two-one-two?

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Dr Christmas posted:

Can someone make a looping gif of Terry Crews like fuckin' one-two-one-two?

Or if you want just the 'one two one two':

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Can you do one of Weird Al's credit scene? It's just hilarious, and will probably be even more so out of context.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

AFewBricksShy posted:

Can you do one of Weird Al's credit scene? It's just hilarious, and will probably be even more so out of context.

Something like this?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I was disappointed the Montgomery episode wasn't tied much to Montgomery except for Claudette. Joe Louis had nothing to do with Montgomery and the Percy Julian was born there but his story took place almost entirely elsewhere. Although in his case I'm all for it since his story is less known and he spent his entire childhood there, so he really does have roots in Montgomery.

Zelda Sayre would have had a ton of material to mine for a great story, for example. George Wallace if you want a story with a villain.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

greatn posted:

I was disappointed the Montgomery episode wasn't tied much to Montgomery except for Claudette. Joe Louis had nothing to do with Montgomery and the Percy Julian was born there but his story took place almost entirely elsewhere. Although in his case I'm all for it since his story is less known and he spent his entire childhood there, so he really does have roots in Montgomery.

Zelda Sayre would have had a ton of material to mine for a great story, for example. George Wallace if you want a story with a villain.

You sounds like a native Montgomerian! There's going to be an episode set in Charleston, SC, where I lived for about a year. I'm honestly wracking my brain trying to figure out what stories and characters they're going to use...Blackbeard? Some Gone with the Wind book or movie history? Bill Murray crashing bachelorette parties?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah, I'm a native. They made Montgomery look a lot nicer than it actually is. I went to the Aviator Bar the night they were shooting, which is a great shooting location, but probably nowhere you'd actually want to hang out. It was a young hip crowd that night but usually its young Republican downtown "entrepreneurs" who think they're the poo poo.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

timp posted:

You sounds like a native Montgomerian! There's going to be an episode set in Charleston, SC, where I lived for about a year. I'm honestly wracking my brain trying to figure out what stories and characters they're going to use...Blackbeard? Some Gone with the Wind book or movie history? Bill Murray crashing bachelorette parties?

Denmark Vesey, but that's kind of a bummer

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

comes along bort posted:

Denmark Vesey, but that's kind of a bummer

Huh...I'd never heard that story before. Maybe that's when they use Keegan-Michael Key, because after seeing a solo Jordan Peele you just know it's only a matter of time before we see him.

Shout out to Hewlett for the .gifs, they've been added to the OP. This show practically begs to be .giffed, especially with ridiculous drunk captions added in.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

The website only has the highlights of Montgomery episode, do they eventually mention Schmelling wasn't actually a nazi and was risking his life to save Jews in Germany the whole time and tried helping American POWs?

If they don't it's really lovely leaving it implied.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Midnight City posted:

The website only has the highlights of Montgomery episode, do they eventually mention Schmelling wasn't actually a nazi and was risking his life to save Jews in Germany the whole time and tried helping American POWs?

If they don't it's really lovely leaving it implied.

They don't, but who cares? If people are actually taking the slurred, completely wasted versions of history that comedians are telling on a Comedy Central as the God's honest, complete truth, they're probably a lost cause to begin with.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Hewlett posted:

They don't, but who cares? If people are actually taking the slurred, completely wasted versions of history that comedians are telling on a Comedy Central as the God's honest, complete truth, they're probably a lost cause to begin with.

Uh, plenty of people probably care and there's really no reason they couldn't or even shouldn't have put at the end "oh by the way Schmelling was actively working against Hitler the whole time" and had Weird Al make a funny face about being betrayed or something.

Risking your life doing the right thing and then having a major television channel implying you were a nazi is a lovely thing to do, not sure why this needs explained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

Midnight City posted:

Uh, plenty of people probably care and there's really no reason they couldn't or even shouldn't have put at the end "oh by the way Schmelling was actively working against Hitler the whole time" and had Weird Al make a funny face about being betrayed or something.

Risking your life doing the right thing and then having a major television channel implying you were a nazi is a lovely thing to do, not sure why this needs explained.

It's a story told by someone who is drunk. Why would you expect it to be super accurate?

• Locked thread