Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should avatar space be limited?
This poll is closed.
YES. I do not like the large avatars. 1123 49.51%
NO. I don't care if an avatar is large. 1145 50.49%
Total: 2268 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
I don't know about you guys, but I personally am not a fan of the giant / bigger-than-allowed avatars that many people seem to have on the forums. They are fairly unnecessary and cause a whole bunch of empty vertical space beneath their posts, so if multiple big-rear end-avatar people are posting in a thread, the user must constantly scroll and scroll to read the thread. While there is an option to disable avatars, I still find it quicker to use the visuals of their avatar to recognize the poster, usually before their name.

So my question to you is should I add some css code that truncates the content in a person's avatar space to a certain size? If you think it's a bad idea and there aren't enough votes to support it, I won't implement it. I just wanted feedback and to know if you guys felt the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
let us live free and die hard

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I think they're really cool.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Where's the poll? Lol. yeah its annoying sometimes, but not really needing another customization.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I love big avs and I cannot lie

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
lowtax how do i get sigs to work i just downloaded photoshop

vv fascist nerd!!!

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known
less folks should have the privilege of big avatars. like, the only two people i can think of that should be allowed to have big avs are "butplug accident" and "Neo Duckberg"

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known
and koos group

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Big avatars are too much scrolling, especially when a post is one sentence long. I say destroy them.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
I don't mind big avatars.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

you should but also break the site's database again

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

big avatars are bad, like the ones that are 200x300, but avatars that stay below 200x200 are acceptable, in my opinion

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think they are fun and amusing. Keep them I say.

NiffStipples
Jun 3, 2011
Kinda sucks on mobile

Edit: clicking on a .gif image only to load someone's signature.

NiffStipples fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 1, 2014

MotherFuckingT-REX
Feb 8, 2011

I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
why dont you fix something worthwhile, instead

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

gaping gape gaper posted:

you should but also break the site's database again
Great comedy you've got there, but let's try to stick to the topic

Miss Cheggs
Mar 22, 2007

Make All Avatars Equal.

MotherFuckingT-REX
Feb 8, 2011

I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
i hear tale that many admin tools dont work, for instance

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

MotherFuckingT-REX posted:

why dont you fix something worthwhile, instead
Because the scripts that are currently broken are being worked on by a dba, and I do not possess the qualifications to fix such things.

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

a compromise: avatars are back to their normal acceptable size but the upload file size is increased to something not from 2003

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

mango gay touchies posted:

a compromise: avatars are back to their normal acceptable size but the upload file size is increased to something not from 2003

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

I second this, although I feel like my position is somewhat compromised by the fact i have a big avatar.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

MotherFuckingT-REX posted:

i hear tale that many admin tools dont work, for instance
Thank you for being concerned about the admin tools and how we are able to perform our jobs, but again, this thread is about giant avatars.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I don't see anyone one abusing the kindness of the admins that uploaded the avatars for them. Seems like a non-issue to me.

MMOs & Welfare
Jan 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Yes please

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

i have had no problems getting my av under 30kb

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I don't see anyone one abusing the kindness of the admins that uploaded the avatars for them. Seems like a non-issue to me.
That is why I put up this poll, to see if it was something that just bugged me, or if it was something that bugged a majority of other users.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Lowtax, you have a big av. I don't think we should change it as it is something that both you and I enjoy.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I think they're really cool.

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

Also, my suggestion was not A Troll, I actually think it would be a decent compromise if it can be done

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

this would be great

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Smoking Crow posted:

Lowtax, you have a big av. I don't think we should change it as it is something that both you and I enjoy.
It is 115px tall.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Also, my suggestion was not A Troll, I actually think it would be a decent compromise if it can be done

I think it sucks.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Tbh I do not see that many around and do not really feel disturbed by them at all.

Speaking off, I always wanted one of those.

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

give the avatars room to grow and see what they ceiling out at: once you are getting too many death threats you can scale back max pixels 10-20% and let it ride there for a while

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
i dont care, but you should definitely make INRI the mod of BYOB

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Lowtax posted:

That is why I put up this poll, to see if it was something that just bugged me, or if it was something that bugged a majority of other users.

oh, ok

Sorry Corals
Jan 2, 2010

please rotate my av 90 degrees to save readers' scroll wheel wear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Sorry Corals posted:

please rotate my av 90 degrees to save readers' scroll wheel wear

loving let's do it. Make a CSS that rotates the text in posts, as well as the av and signatures by 90 degrees. Leave the rest alone.

There, unique selling proposal for GBS.

• Locked thread