Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should avatar space be limited?
This poll is closed.
YES. I do not like the large avatars. 1123 49.51%
NO. I don't care if an avatar is large. 1145 50.49%
Total: 2268 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Cheggs
Mar 22, 2007

Having standard avatar sizes would go a long way in making these forums look more professional imo

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
webm support

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Space cash posted:

Having standard avatar sizes would go a long way in making these forums look more professional imo
Not quite aiming for "professional" here, setting the bar at "non-annoying."

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Could we get like frames around our names base on how many posts per day we have? Like if you have less than one it could be a really neat and intricate gilded dealie and if it was like 20 posts per day it could just be a bunch of turds.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I can't vote cause mobile app :(

lick it or ticket
Apr 12, 2013

When you want to laugh cry as hard as you can, when you want to cry laugh all you can. When you see rain, just think of it as the world laughing with you, and laugh until you can't anymore.

Air Julio posted:

I'm in favor of whichever decision causes the most complaining.

AVs must be small, but sigs are now mandatory.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

crabrock posted:

make the div containing the avatar position:absolute and then turn overflow:hidden on the parent div and then we only see their stupid large avatar if they actually post more than one or two lines.

do this so everyone can still have big avs and it fixes the huge blank space thing you hate

also:

mango gay touchies posted:

a compromise: avatars are back to their normal acceptable size but the upload file size is increased to something not from 2003

yeah ~op~ I'm not browsing the forums on my us robotics 33.6 modem anymore grandpa

Cannonballoon fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 1, 2014

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

This is also an obnoxiously large av, in my opinion.

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics
yeah thats a bad av

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Lowtax posted:

Then you may safely vote for either.

I'm on mobile, so I can not vote unfortunately, but feel free to mark me down on either side. OP's choice.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

a compromise: avatars are back to their normal acceptable size but the upload file size is increased to something not from 2003

that would go a long way towards getting rid of low quality gif avatars

not, like, all the way though, since some are low quality because they're dumb as hell

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my ass and mouth!
i have been shitposting for awhile now in hopes of getting a new avatar and it hasn't worked out so while not relevant to the op i wanted to air my grievances itt and perhaps get some protips

on topic:

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Naerasa posted:

that would go a long way towards getting rid of low quality gif avatars

not, like, all the way though, since some are low quality because they're dumb as hell

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Got any extra firstborns?
I don't have strong feelings on this topic, but voted against big avs because I'm a communist and I think we should all be equal.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

zen death robot posted:

So bumping up the av size limit should be something you both agree on :confused:

yes, that was directed at lowtax sorry for any confusion :)

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

some big avs are too tall but the default avs are too small and should at least be as wide as the space available

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
I think avatars should be free to change and also allow big avatars

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

yeah some css making av height overflow clip with its parent container would let everyone keep their toys

still do that thing about upping upload filesize tho

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I like the big avs, myself, but I can see why people would find it annoying. However, there's already the option to turn off avatars, which I feel like more than suffices for making sure all the posts are nice and short? Assuming you also have sigs turned off, but that's no fun.

Some of the big avs are too big, though, yeah.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

zen death robot posted:

Some people take a nice thing and ruin it for everyone else, sadly.

Then I will find those people and hurt them.

ROFLSAWS
Mar 28, 2005

You can't hide forever, Methuselah
College Slice
webm avatars plz

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

yo that's a jpg

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

ROFLSAWS posted:

webm avatars plz
gently caress webm, gbtR1ch's png guide

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I believe that the current size plus or minus a few percent is fine but would like if the file size could be updated a bit if that's possible.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Lowtax posted:

gently caress webm, gbtR1ch's png guide

support for apng then, please.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

how can you hate a format that lets an 18MB gif become a 650kb video

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
I also seen this thing called gyfcat or html5 or something it loads really fast and you can have like a 5 minute video basically and its only a few kb it's ridiculousl what they've done with technology lately. But anyway we should be allowed to embed that everywhere in our sigs and avatar ('tarz) cause it will make the site really snazzy to look at.

edit: beaten

ron color
Dec 28, 2011

Cucking Mama posted:

yeah thats a bad av

I never thought I'd see the day elton is just a good person he supports a lot of charities and cmon tiny dancer is amazing theres no need to hate the man just because he is gay, in fact that is wrong

edit: he hugged eminem i thought we were past this

ron color fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 1, 2014

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

gfycat (go gently caress your cat) uses webm i'm pretty sure

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

everythingWasBees posted:

support for apng then, please.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

ron color posted:

I never thought I'd see the day elton is just a good person he supports a lot of charities and cmon tiny dancer is amazing theres no need to hate the man just because he is gay, in fact that is wrong

That av is really bad.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

ron color posted:

who the gently caress gave you that monstrosity and why

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I thought apng support was a browser issue, not a website issue

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

can we keep big avs but get rid of anime avs? just a thought

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Lowtax posted:

BYOB, and BYOB.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Lowtax posted:

you should have a feature that for $5 you can pay to find out who gave you an avatar

Lowt$x

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Lowtax posted:

Lowtax, I have an avatar you can replace it with that's infinitely worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

the wildest rear end posted:

I thought apng support was a browser issue, not a website issue

Huh.

Son of a bitch you're right.

• Locked thread