Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The month where we celebrate America

Baseball

and the trade deadline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

reposting this, because I do not like what this implies:

quote:

@PaulPabst

At the end of ever season, Vin Scully said he throws out his PXP notebook...he told us that this year he will save it.

E: and that photo of Ubaldo hugging guys in the dugout, that was just.....:(

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

It's time to make trades soon. I'm so excited.

:tinfoil: Tomorrow is the one year anniversary of the Feldman trade to Baltimore and the first day Tsuyoshi Wada is eligible to be promoted to the 25 man roster after being added to the 40-man and getting optioned to AAA a week ago.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Astros have called up Domingo Santana :toot:

e: As well as Kevin Chapman and Kike Hernandez

In news that will shock Rockies fans, Fowler to the DL

Intruder fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 1, 2014

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

tadashi posted:

It's time to make trades soon. I'm so excited.

:tinfoil: Tomorrow is the one year anniversary of the Feldman trade to Baltimore and the first day Tsuyoshi Wada is eligible to be promoted to the 25 man roster after being added to the 40-man and getting optioned to AAA a week ago.

Does anyone have a good read on Hammel's value aside from "Not as much as Samardzija"? Rob Neyer has a piece out today talking about the Cubs keeping Samardzija and making a run of it next year if Arrieta proves to be more than a 2 month flash in the pan- sure the team needs an entire outfield, depending on where Baez/Bryant end up full time but with some money to spend this offseason and Lester and Scherzer available the window may open up sooner than anyone thinks.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

will_colorado posted:

I think Vin has been pretty open about this being his last year. I may be misremembering though.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Does anyone have a good read on Hammel's value aside from "Not as much as Samardzija"? Rob Neyer has a piece out today talking about the Cubs keeping Samardzija and making a run of it next year if Arrieta proves to be more than a 2 month flash in the pan- sure the team needs an entire outfield, depending on where Baez/Bryant end up full time but with some money to spend this offseason and Lester and Scherzer available the window may open up sooner than anyone thinks.

If the rumors are true, it sounds like a lot of teams don't want to give up what the Cubs want for Samardzija. I will not be surprised if he is still a Cub after the deadline passes.

In a perfect world, I'd think Hammel's value is better than Feldman since he has a better track record of success as a starter and is pitching better this year than Feldman was at this time last year.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Happy Bobby Bonilla pay day!

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I laugh like a little school girl every Bobby Bonilla Pay Day because it's going to go on forever :allears:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

tadashi posted:

In a perfect world, I'd think Hammel's value is better than Feldman since he has a better track record of success as a starter and is pitching better this year than Feldman was at this time last year.

So who can we grab from the O's hospital/minor leagues for Hammel?

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Joe Saunders has been DFA'd. Goodnight, sweet lovely prince.

naginalJJ
Feb 10, 2007

Baby, looks like a dance epidemic to me
I'm seeing things I thought I'd never see
Dance epidemic tonight

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

It's about loving time!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Popete posted:

So who can we grab from the O's hospital/minor leagues for Hammel?

I went to make a joke about getting Pie back, then looked him up and he is now playing for the Hanwha Eagles.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Uhh that's proven winner and playoff experience Joe Saunders.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Rand alPaul posted:

Uhh that's proven winner and playoff experience Joe Saunders.

2012 Wild Card. Never Forget.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/CST_soxvan/status/484079530207109120

Meanwhile, at Soldier Field: https://twitter.com/CameramanCappo/status/484073896443138048/photo/1

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Top of the 2nd just finished.

Edit :

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 1, 2014

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Shame we suck at soccer.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Shame we're suck merely ascendant at soccer.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

E: Nevermind

tadashi fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 2, 2014

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
N: Rick Porcello throws back-to-back complete game shutouts, 4h/0bb/0k 95 pitches, 68 strikes tonight against Oakland.

V: Our little boy is growing up to be a real pitcher :yayclod:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Minarch posted:

N: Rick Porcello throws back-to-back complete game shutouts, 4h/0bb/0k 95 pitches, 68 strikes tonight against Oakland.

V: Our little boy is growing up to be a real pitcher :yayclod:

He's from my hometown so I'm real happy he's starting to come around :)

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Mayyyyybe a bit early on this?

http://www.blessyouboys.com/2014/6/27/5849304/can-rick-porcello-win-300-games

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

will_colorado posted:

Maybe he's going to save this year's because he is heaven-sent and knows that the Dodgers will win it all.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Call me crazy, but I would not be opposed to locking up Porcello in a 5-7 year contract extension before he hits free agency in 2016. Dude's only 25 and all of his numbers for the last five seasons are either consistent or slowly improving. 300 wins is laughable, but I could see him as a really reliable middle-of-the-pack starter in a couple years.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

My team had a guy throw back-to-back CGSOs this season. Guess what happened after

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Minarch posted:

I could see him as a really reliable middle-of-the-pack starter in a couple years.

Uhhh I'm not sure this is the type of guy you sign for 5-7 years right now.

but then again I guess Jedd Gyorko is signed until 2019 so

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

My team had a guy throw back-to-back CGSOs this season. Guess what happened after

There's nothing inherently wrong with that

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

angrygodofjebus posted:

Uhhh I'm not sure this is the type of guy you sign for 5-7 years right now.

but then again I guess Jedd Gyorko is signed until 2019 so

As far as I can tell, the cost certainty model has teams locking up anyone young, pre-arb or arb 1 and of possible value for 5-7 years with lots of team options

Gyorko looks bad right now, but another "maybe we shouldn't have done this so quickly" cost certainty deal people forget about is Matt Harrison, who signed a 5 year extension with a 6th year club option after arb 1 and two shiny ERA seasons and proceeded to fall down the injury mineshaft

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

My only guess is that someone died of AIDS as payment.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

theacox posted:

My only guess is that someone died of AIDS as payment.

Martin Perez. Threw second CG shutout in a row on April 23. May 19: Tommy John surgery.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Is Luke Jackson gonna have one of the fastest promoted to AAA, promoted to majors turnarounds in franchise history?

Chris James 2 posted:

Martin Perez. Threw second CG shutout in a row on April 23. May 19: Tommy John surgery.

Since Perez went down this entire season has become "Is Yu pitching? If not prepare for :gonk:"

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Joe Maddon on using Balfour to close out the game

quote:

Closed w/ Grant tonight because I saw him walking his grandmother thru the hotel lobby today. It was an impressive moment. Liked his karma.

Seems logical, and very easily impressed

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Small sample size, he only saw Balfour doing it the one time

vegeta dentata
Jun 16, 2011
I miss Jose Fernandez as do we all, but Henderson Alvarez is pretty drat entertaining this season.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Happy International Signing Day everyone

Enjoy contextless contract lines and analysis on guys you've never heard of before.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
The Indians got a 7-2-4 triple play last night and two of the outs were reviewed.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb...4&vkey=news_mlb

If you don't want to watch the video, with runners on 1st and 3rd there's a shallow flyball to left. Dee Gordon is tagged out at home and Puig tries to take 2nd on a delay when the catcher isn't paying attention. He's called safe, but Terry Francona challenges and he's called out. Then Mattingly challenges the play at home but it's upheld.

Storm
Jun 7, 2001

Professional #8 Hitter/Beard Grower
That play at second suuuuuure seemed safe and then looking at it the play at home also kinda seemed safe buuuut what do I know plus triple plays are cool

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Trade Rick Porcello before he turns back into a bad pitcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Storm posted:

That play at second suuuuuure seemed safe and then looking at it the play at home also kinda seemed safe buuuut what do I know plus triple plays are cool
The play at second was a frame difference, I think it was the right call. I wasn't too happy about the challenge at home, the Dodgers challenged it after they seemingly saw the replay of the tag at home (why was it ever shown?). I think he was safe there, but the view sorta sucked to overturn.

• Locked thread