Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

I don't have a drinking problem; alcohol is a solution, after all.

So I know it's been done before, but they also say to write what you know. For those of you who've never had the pleasure of my drunkposting, I'm a bartender in New York City, working at some fine cocktail bars doing both bespoke and volume service, depending. I also do plenty of work for international and local spirits brands as a consultant, event producer, etc. All those bottles come from jobs (one's a birthday gift, actually), and the backbars of my workspaces are stocked with dozens more of every stripe. Yes, "we do the mixology here", but importantly it has taught me to use alcohol and syrups and such to create a wide variety of tastes and textures. That's where you come in.

Alcohol, or really Ethyl Alcohol (C2H6O: the one we want) is two things important to humans, and to the culture of our cooking. It is a powerful psychoactive drug, and it's a non-polar solvent. Alcohol potentates flavors that may otherwise not be perceptible. In the same way that blooming spices in oil creates the essential flavors of the Indian subcontinent, alcohol can bring out incredible flavors and textures in a wide variety of dishes. The goal, then, is to make something where alcohol acts as a solvent. Bonus points, as always, are awarded for making an alcoholic beverage that is thematically appropriate to the dish (bonus bonus points awarded for using science; fatwashing, maceration, nitrogen cavitation).

Ideas? I've got a few. This is about execution, after all. Carbonade with a trappist beer? Classic. Coq au vin with a bordeaux? Speaking my language. Bananas foster and Spanish coffee? NOLA baby take me home. You have three weeks, because in two weeks I'll be at Tales of the Cocktail, which you can google if you want to know why it means I won't be doing anything but eating and drinking for a week straight.

Prizes to include Penzys certs, vermouth kits, and cocktail gear/swag, depending on how many entries are received. Chairman's prize guaranteed to be inappropriate and/or overproof.

Finally, the obligatory Simpsons comment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUVwR0rw5fk

bloody ghost titty fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
I'm in. But you're going to have to come over to help me cheat.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I'd love to get in on this. Though I'll have to come up with something other than bananas foster, which I already did for dino's vegan NICSA.

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jul 4, 2014

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Great theme, great way to keep it simple but give everyone a lot of scope.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Quite interested in giving this a shot.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
I may or may not be in; when's the due date?

Eta I see the three weeks now. That's what happens when you've had some two buck chuck!

americong
May 29, 2013

I might try to make something. Hopefully you guys don't mind seeing a little bitty college apartment kitchen, limited equipment, limited budget ingredients, and myself only cooking vegetarian.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

americong posted:

I might try to make something. Hopefully you guys don't mind seeing a little bitty college apartment kitchen, limited equipment, limited budget ingredients, and myself only cooking vegetarian.

NICSA was designed for just such a situation! Have fun!

Cranberry Jam
Apr 8, 2011
I'm in. This should be fun.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Cranberry Jam posted:

I'm in. This should be fun.

Yes, yes it will. Cheers!

americong
May 29, 2013

Wroughtirony posted:

NICSA was designed for just such a situation! Have fun!

I just went and spent $toomuch on groceries, this is gonna be pretty funny.

And I especially hope that y'all don't mind how intentionally low-brow I'm going to be with this.

americong
May 29, 2013

I went and did the thing.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3648580

Hope you enjoy reading it!

okay
Jan 28, 2009
New post can be found here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3650759&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post432203955

It's my first time, please be gentle.

okay fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 15, 2014

Kasan
Dec 24, 2006
I just made an awesome dish for dinner that I came to share, that just so happens to fit the NICSA theme this month. I didn't take any before or process pictures, but I do have a finished product shot. Is that enough to post a NICSA thread and participate?

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Kasan posted:

I just made an awesome dish for dinner that I came to share, that just so happens to fit the NICSA theme this month. I didn't take any before or process pictures, but I do have a finished product shot. Is that enough to post a NICSA thread and participate?

Absolutely. Make sure to post a detailed account of your process though, so people can give you feedback.

Kasan
Dec 24, 2006
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3651842

Have some stew!

flynt
Dec 30, 2006
Triggerhappy and gunshy
Here is my tequila laced entry:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3652165

Cranberry Jam
Apr 8, 2011
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3652327

Some dinner and dessert

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Jay Carney posted:

I'm in. But you're going to have to come over to help me cheat.

If you're in metro NYC, I've got some time this week and am always hungry.

Rest of y'all: get involved! The deadline might be Friday, I don't remember.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I'll be getting mine up in a bit; my camera has pictures dating all the way back to Memorial Day weekend and uploading them to my computer is taking a while.

EDIT: Here it is:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3652456

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 22, 2014

Kasan
Dec 24, 2006
I added some photos of the before since I made it again today. It's sad there were only 4 participants in this NICSA. The first one I remember reading through had a ton of participants.

okay
Jan 28, 2009

Kasan posted:

I added some photos of the before since I made it again today. It's sad there were only 4 participants in this NICSA. The first one I remember reading through had a ton of participants.

You're missing two (six entries total). Still not a ton, but a bit better.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

I blame myself, mostly for trusting in you lazy sacks of crap. Voting thread goes up, uh, soon!

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

Vegetable Melange posted:

I blame myself, mostly for trusting in you lazy sacks of crap. Voting thread goes up, uh, soon!

Ugh did you post your voting thread, my ICSA is going to overlap with school starting and it's entirely your fault

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

You're the dummy who's in school. Vote here, yo.

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER
Is it too late to participate in this? I just happened upon the GwS forum and this seems like a lot of fun.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

NovaLion posted:

Is it too late to participate in this? I just happened upon the GwS forum and this seems like a lot of fun.

The voting thread has come and gone but you can definitely make an entry anyway! Cook stuff with booze and post it!

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

and CRANBERRY JAM takes the prize! PM me for your fabulous prize! Chairman's prize to the college kid who is gonna get his mind blown re: gin and tonics, also make with the PMs. YAY EVERYBODY!

GREAT JOB

bloody ghost titty fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Aug 13, 2014

americong
May 29, 2013

Wow, awesome! I really liked cj's entry, glad they won!

VM, I don't have PMs, how would you like me to get in touch with you?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

append the 18th latin letter to Alan Lomax's last name and send it off to the google mail service. Same for you, CJ!

okay
Jan 28, 2009
Congratulations to Americong and CJ! A good show all around :cheers:

Cranberry Jam
Apr 8, 2011
Thank you. This was fun :cheers:

VM I don't have PMs either, so I'll email you.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Cranberry Jam posted:

Thank you. This was fun :cheers:

VM I don't have PMs either, so I'll email you.

Rad, rad, gas thread.

E: seriously. I'm phone posting and can't close the thread.

bloody ghost titty fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 13, 2014

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

PSSST cranjam, email me if you want poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranberry Jam
Apr 8, 2011
I sent an email. I'll try again.

• Locked thread