Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

Kelthorn posted:

There's a white halo drawn around one of the players avatar pictures when you're in the game. It's subtle, and the picture is small to begin with, right next to your name. One player has this white outline/halo, the other doesn't.

The player with the halo will take the last turn before the game ends. For example, if the honour pool reaches 0 while that halo'd player is taking their turn, when they hit end turn the game will end and a winner declared. If the honour pool reaches 0 while the other player is taking their turn, that player will finish their turn and then the halo'd player will get one final turn before the game ends.

It's important to pay attention to whose turn is last. For example, if you know this is your last turn, take all the honour you can from the middle; all the 1 rune-1 honour heroes, any mechana constructs available... pollute your deck because you won't get to draw them and every little bit counts.

Annoyingly, it also determines the winner in ties.

"If multiple players have the same number of Honor Points, the last player to start his first turn wins (i.e., the starting player loses all ties, the second player loses to the third and fourth, etc.)."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

thegreatcodfish posted:

Annoyingly, it also determines the winner in ties.

"If multiple players have the same number of Honor Points, the last player to start his first turn wins (i.e., the starting player loses all ties, the second player loses to the third and fourth, etc.)."

I've never cared for that. It assumes there is some advantage to going first, which is ironic as this is remarkably one of the only games in which there isn't, really.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
You could argue that it gives you more chances of getting Arbiter of the Precipice or some other awesome card...

jerkstores
Aug 6, 2001

Beelzebozo posted:

I've never cared for that. It assumes there is some advantage to going first, which is ironic as this is remarkably one of the only games in which there isn't, really.

There has to be some slight advantage to going first. You get first crack at the flop and any six-seven rune cards that flip in the first few turns.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1965800643/ascension-online/posts/906866

StoneBlade posted:

What you can expect to see soon, though, is Rise of Vigil for iOS. The expansion in awaiting Apple review and should be available to download very soon. The great iOS Ascension expansion drought is finally over!

Woo! Been wanting to play this expansion for a while.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

thegreatcodfish posted:

Woo! Been wanting to play this expansion for a while.

I've got about sixty or so games with it in and can't wait to slaughter all you cardboard-phobic phone kids while you learn all the "new" cards. :smug:

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Beelzebozo posted:

I've got about sixty or so games with it in and can't wait to slaughter all you cardboard-phobic phone kids while you learn all the "new" cards. :smug:

B-but what if we get cardboard cuts?? :ohdear:

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
I think part of what makes people relatively new to the game (myself included) is the way the End Turn button turns green if you've played everything and spent everything and questions you if you haven't.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

CNN Sports Ticker posted:

and questions you if you haven't.

I really wish there was an option to turn this off. No, app, I don't need to play this lone militia to generate 1 power. And no, I'd rather not reduce the cost of my next mechana construct purchase by 2 rune when there are all of zero mechana constructs on the board.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Playdek: JeditOjanen.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Jedit posted:

Playdek: JeditOjanen.

User not found in our database :(

Spelling check?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Beelzebozo posted:

Spelling check?

I'll check it when I get home, but that name should be right.

E: Yes, it's right. Did you capitalise the middle O?

Jedit fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 17, 2014

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

Beelzebozo posted:

Spelling check?

I copy/pasted it and it worked for me.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Quickpull posted:

I copy/pasted it and it worked for me.

Good idea. I tried retyping it and obviously blew it. Paste worked. Invite sent. Thanks

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
So while we still have plenty of time in the month, what game would you be interested in being the August ios board game of the month?

I would say that preferably it would be on both iPad and iPhone, have asynchronous play, and not be so expensive as to put new people off entirely.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Summoner Wars. Free and playable on both iPad and iPhone.

Shoegazing
Jan 29, 2006

Servoret posted:

Summoner Wars. Free and playable on both iPad and iPhone.

I actually 100% agree with this.

I never liked it too much, but it's been awhile since I've played it and wouldn't mind giving it another go.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I'd reinstall Summoner Wars and play a few matches with you fine folk.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I think I bought it when it was a dollar or something, but never got around playing it. I'll be up for it.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

Is Summoner Wars worth playing without all the in app purchases?

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Niemat posted:

Is Summoner Wars worth playing without all the in app purchases?

Probably not. You can't even play multiplayer unless you IAP at least one team.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

Beelzebozo posted:

Probably not. You can't even play multiplayer unless you IAP at least one team.

I really hate when apps are marketed as free, but then you need to make IAPs to use what are basic functions in most other apps. However, I suspect that's another conversation for another thread...

Am I reading it right in the App Store: it's 99 cents for another faction and 7.99 to get all the add ons?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

IIRC, you could play with one of the factions both online and single player for free. I could be wrong, though.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

IIRC, you could play with one of the factions both online and single player for free. I could be wrong, though.

The description for Summoner Wars on the App Store says that you can play online with the Phoenix Elves with the free download. I think it might actually be ten bucks to get all the other factions since there's two others that they released after the eight dollar pack. Try it and see if you like it, I guess? The Phoenix Elves aren't a bad faction to start with. They're pretty straightforward to play.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

My Playdek ID is Servoret if anyone wants to add me.

Kelthorn
Nov 22, 2003

:siren: :siren: :siren: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :siren: :siren: :siren:

Right! With the introduction of Rise of Vigil, and with Ascension being BGotM, I hereby announce the return of the semi-regular Goon Ascension Tournament; Goon Ascension Madness 4!

The format for this tournament is single elimination matches, with matches decided by best of three. No expansions other than RoV, with a 24 hour time limit per game. The signup for the tournament is here (You'll have to sign up for Challonge if you haven't already).

:siren: PLEASE make sure you update your nickname within the tournament settings to match your Playdek name, or everyone will be mad at you. :mad: :siren:

The best way to communicate with everyone during the tournament is on GroupMe, but posting here or in the main iOS Board Game thread is cool too, I suppose.

Signups will be open until at least the start of next week (28th July), but probably not longer, so get in quick!

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
NEW OP, NEW OP, NEW GAME OF THE MONTH, SOUND THE ALARM

Summoner Wars is now the game of the month. I have all the armies, I haven't really played it, hit me up and let's have a game.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I haven't really played much Summoner Wars, aside from the tutorial when it was new. Hit me up, let's learn together. Perhaps people who have played more of it can explain more.

Have at you, Sir!

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I guess I'll reinstall that thing. I only have the factions from the original bundle and never managed to a) find one I really liked or b) get very good with any of them. But why not.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Beelzebozo posted:

I guess I'll reinstall that thing. I only have the factions from the original bundle and never managed to a) find one I really liked or b) get very good with any of them. But why not.

Because it's a bad game.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!

Fat Samurai posted:

Have at you, Sir!

I just might need more than a 15 minute timer.

One thing I do like is that each turn is self contained, so you aren't going into the app to just do some tiny thing.

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.
I've not played it much and I only have the base armies, but feel free to send me an invite if you want to play.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I just might need more than a 15 minute timer.

I'm bad at paying attention :downs:

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Please summon wars with me. Playdek ID: Servoret

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
One thing I like about Summoner Wars is that every turn is fairly satisfying. You aren't just playing a snippet of a turn like in some games.

So far the benders are probably my favourite faction. Them or the goblins.

Shoegazing
Jan 29, 2006

I've been playing exclusively as Jungle Elves because I like their mobility and long range ability. Also because I've only lost twice with them.

I'm gonna start switching it up now, so I expect to start losing a lot more now.

I'm assuming no one in here is experienced enough with/cares enough about this game to give some pointers for new players?

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Suicidal Maniac posted:

I'm assuming no one in here is experienced enough with/cares enough about this game to give some pointers for new players?

This covers some of the basics: Eight Easy Steps to Becoming a Better Summoner

Don't expose your summoner to attacks, know what event cards your opponent has and what their guys can do, don't summon guys without a plan to use them right away, don't be afraid to trash your commons or kill your own guys for mana. If you're up against someone who has cards that punish you for having more guys than they do, kill your scrub units in the first turn and try to maintain even numbers with them. Know what your own guys do, don't gently caress yourself out of unit movements all game because you keep using the Gunner's special ability as your first move every turn. Eventually you want to get into constructing your own decks, at the very least to use some of the champions that aren't in the base decks because some of them are really good.

Kelthorn
Nov 22, 2003

:siren: The fourth Goon Ascension Tournament is over! :siren:

Supreme Champion: :supaburn: Spincut :supaburn:
Worthy Adversary: Beelzebozo
Maybe Next Time: Jerkstores

Notable mention to Jedit who defeated all comers (until he didn't).

Congratulations to Spincut, may your reign be long and glorious. Thanks everyone for participating and making it one of the smoothest tournaments in recent memory (as well as the only tournament in recent memory)

In other news, Summoner Wars is kinda fun but in reality it sucks. The way they use dice suck. Racer Feud for GOTM!

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Racer Feud seems to have unofficially (for now) become GOTM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Racer Feud seems to have unofficially (for now) become GOTM

Is it any less lovely now than it was when it first came out?

• Locked thread