Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax
looking to upgrade to one of those homeostatic diveskins from Peter Watts' Rifters books soon though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

take ur pants off and spread ur asscheeks in front of a fan, gettin some good airflow right on ur butthole will cool u right down

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Well, one summer down here in Texas, my AC was busted in my truck.

This lady I met at a job told me to keep some ice in a big uncovered cup and that would help...and you know what? I think it did. :cool:

I was younger then. I would definitely die without AC now. But then I'd be super-cool so...good luck.

Kosher Pickup Line
Jan 10, 2008

Hair Elf
Read the forums all day. The gigantic fans in your gaming rig will help cool off your room.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

redshirt posted:

How do you stay cool without AC during a heat wave?

Swamp cooler?
Basement?
Go to the movies?

Let me recommend the following if you can do it:

Open all your windows as soon as it's cooler outside than in (nighttime).
Close all your windows and your blinds as soon as it's warmer outside than in - this can be like 6 AM so you've got to act early.

Also, cold showers are a cheap and quick way to cool down.

25 years I lived without AC and it was loving abysmal sometimes.

If you have two windows in your room on different walls throw a box fan in one as the sun starts to go down and open the other. Close the door to the room and in a few hours it'll be nice and cool from the outside. Assuming the outside isn't loving awful and humid.

Ice in a bowl / cup behind / in front of a fan works too but eh.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Turn on the heater.

When it gets hotter, you'll know that it was cooler when the heater wasn't on so it won't seem so bad then!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I made a silly choice to live in a room with no windows and only a porch door on the top floor of a duplex. Minneapolis can literally be the hottest place in the US sometimes. So basically I had to leave my porch door open all day, letting bugs in, and use two box fans to move the cooler (note: some nights it only got down to 95F with 100% humidity) air over me. I'd have to take cold showers and leave myself damp just to sleep and shower again in the morning because I'd wake up sweating.

Ended up staying at a friend's house for almost 2 weeks. Don't miss any of that.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Drink ice water constantly. That and lots of popsicles.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
it owns living in a basement apartment because you walk into a beautiful, cool room right outside the sweltering heat

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012
Wank and a flapjack

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Cucking Mama posted:

it's not that hot

It's 120 °F here. If you don't have AC, you're pretty much hosed.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
True fact alcohol evaporates better than water so if you cover yourself in alcohol it will drop your core temperature via evaporative cooling. We used to do that to bring down fevers in children but they kept getting drunk and flammable which was a problem

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Load up the boozeburg, guys. Looks like it's another kiddie pool day.

mistakes at the lake
May 9, 2009
Fill a backpack with rocks then hike up a small mountain (2000 metres should do it). You'll sweat like 20 bastards, and the cooler air wafting through at altitude will have a nice evaporative cooling effect.

Warning : do not go back down to sea level, it's hot down there.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Paramemetic posted:

True fact alcohol evaporates better than water so if you cover yourself in alcohol it will drop your core temperature via evaporative cooling. We used to do that to bring down fevers in children but they kept getting drunk and flammable which was a problem

Drunk flammable children? How is this a problem?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

when I was in high school working in a supermarket a lady bought a bunch of rubbing alcohol to rub on a feverish horse and I thought that was really weird because I didnt understand things

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Flavahbeast posted:

when I was in high school working in a supermarket a lady bought a bunch of rubbing alcohol to rub on a feverish horse and I thought that was really weird because I didnt understand things

That poor horse. I hope it wasn't near its eyes or nose.

warderenator
Nov 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Turn off anything that generates heat, such as your computer.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Box fan in my window.

Frozen sponges in ziplock bags on my neck and under my arms when im too warm.

Low calorie cold foods like guacamole and celery sticks!

I do my run at night.

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
First, burn all your fans and A/C units for fuel in your living room.
Close all the windows and turn your heaters up to 95°F -- the heat will rise pushing cool air downward.
Change all your lighting to halogen bulbs and turn all the lights on.
Turn on all electronics and block all their cooling vents.
Do laundry all day and dry everything on the highest setting for the longest amount of time.
Slow-cook a roast in the oven (8-10 hours) then turn the oven off and leave the oven door open.
While all that's happening, take a really hot shower then use a hair dryer on high heat to dry off.
Lastly, DO NOT DRINK WATER! Water makes you pee, and that loses precious fluids you should be retaining.
Instead, boil a quart of ghost pepper sauce on the stove and drink the whole thing.

HTH

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Live in the UK

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

That loving Sned posted:

Live in the UK

NOOOOOO

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

build an AC out of frozen bottles of water + styrofoam cooler + small table fan + dryer vents

source: i live in Arizona and know everything about staying cool

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
live in Buffalo

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

Jesus Christ posted:

fans and open windows, even if it's over 100F outside.

Airflow is far more important than the actual temperature because without it you are basically just sitting in an oven. With airflow, it's actually quite tolerable. If you're not a loving pussy.

I want to strenuously disagree with this.

Airflow from fans may impart the illusion of being cool, but the fact is, with your windows open, you're simply bringing the inside temp up to match the outside temp.

Sure, if it's 90 degrees in your living room, and 92 outside, no big deal.

But if you're sitting at 82 and it's a 100 outside, you're hosed, even if you catch a breeze.

The only time to open your windows is the moment the outside is cooler than inside.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Physics question, serious answers only:

I have windows that can open from the bottom, top, or some of each.

Given an equal amount of open window, does it make any difference which section you open?

I have a crazy theory that by opening the bottom a bit, but opening the top a lot, you create a localized low/high pressure system that helps push out hot air via the top opening, and bring in colder air via the bottom opening - outdoor wind conditions being neutral.

True, or crazy?

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004
the cold embrace of the grave

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

redshirt posted:

Given an equal amount of open window, does it make any difference which section you open?

I have a crazy theory that by opening the bottom a bit, but opening the top a lot, you create a localized low/high pressure system that helps push out hot air via the top opening, and bring in colder air via the bottom opening - outdoor wind conditions being neutral.

True, or crazy?

True, but you need to do this with extreme caution. The slightest amount of error off of the appropriate configuration and you could create a hurricane.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

redshirt posted:

True, or crazy?

I sorta do this too, but it involves having the upstairs windows open wide and the downstairs ones open a little bit. I've given up on closed windows in the day, the sun comes right in and heats up the inside of the house anyway, plus we have an iron roof.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

put a wet dish towel in the freezer for like 30 minutes then wrap it around your neck. also apply ice cubes to your nips

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Shithouse Dave posted:

I sorta do this too, but it involves having the upstairs windows open wide and the downstairs ones open a little bit. I've given up on closed windows in the day, the sun comes right in and heats up the inside of the house anyway, plus we have an iron roof.

Yeah, the upstairs/downstairs divide is key as well.

Get some curtains man, at least for the sunniest window. Makes a big difference.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Paint the outside of your windows white. It will reflect much of the heat of the sun, but still let in enough light to see. Use water soluble paint so you can wash it off in the winter.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
truly I cannot imagine living in a world with no air conditioners and no ice. i'd ahve been dead by now.

also

ghlbtsk posted:

Close all the windows and turn your heaters up to 95°F -- the heat will rise pushing cool air downward.

is the funniest thing I've seen all week

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

rectally inserted ice cubes, one after the other until you can't fit any more up there

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

Ice dildo.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I spent a year in the barrio of ALBQ without AC and it was brutal. BRUTAL. No escape from the heat, except for going to work/going to a mall.

The swamp cooler in front of my face was the only help.

Couldn't even take a cold shower because the coldest water was still piss warm.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Idiot Syncratic posted:

rectally inserted ice cubes, one after the other until you can't fit any more up there

with the correct pace, you could probably match the melt rate and jam ice cubes up your rear end forever

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

ghlbtsk posted:

First, burn all your fans and A/C units for fuel in your living room.
Change all your lighting to halogen bulbs and turn all the lights on.
Turn on all electronics and block all their cooling vents.
Do laundry all day and dry everything on the highest setting for the longest amount of time.
Slow-cook a roast in the oven (8-10 hours) then turn the oven off and leave the oven door open.
While all that's happening, take a really hot shower then use a hair dryer on high heat to dry off.
Lastly, DO NOT DRINK WATER! Water makes you pee, and that loses precious fluids you should be retaining.
Instead, boil a quart of ghost pepper sauce on the stove and drink the whole thing.

HTH

I did these things and now I'm dead. On the bright side I will be a skeleton soon so,

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
-ride the bus around town all day
-move to a cooler place
-let a dog lick your feet
-wear a big diaper full of ice under your shorts
-die

That's what I got op, hope it helps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag