Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The final boss of Golden Sun on the GBA. I didn't realize that Venus Lighthouse was the final dungeon, and the game makes no mention of the fact that if you save on the rooftop of the lighthouse, you can't go back downstairs. I ended up trapped at the final boss, underlevelled, with a low inventory, and no way to get back.

I tried for several hours to beat that boss, then just got pissed at the stupid design decision there and gave up.

AHungryRobot posted:

for me it was batman forever. this loving game required you to use the grappling hook to get further in the first level, but required performing some arcane button combination like select+up. couldn't press them at the same time, either, it was on some kind of weird delay. i got the game from a garage sale without the instruction manual, and this was before the internet was really i thing so i basically never got to see more than the first 15 seconds of the game.

what games confused you with their wiles as a kid?

edit:whoa, i am a colossal moron. meant to post this in imp zone. do whatever you need to do with this, mods.

Batman Forever on the SNES? I was stuck at that same part.

I didn't know that's how you had to progress until...uh...right now. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

nftyw posted:

Hahaha, I remember that drat thing, I can totally see how it would stonewall people since it's not immediately obvious what you need to do there.

The problem isn't that what you have to do isn't immediately obvious, it's that it seems obvious that you're supposed get the barrel oscillating fast enough to bounce you up to the next level. I got within a few pixels of making it past using that method, so I thought I was doing the right thing and it was just really hard.

e: beaten

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 2, 2014

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
Two Games:

King's Quest 4 - Perils of Rosella.

At one point in the game, you get swallowed up by a whale, and you have to tickle this giant uvula to get the whale to spit you out. No problem, except when climbing up the tongue, you keep falling off, no matter which way you try to climb up. You're on a time, so you gotta figure it out fast. Frustrated after 6 months or replaying the game from start up until that point, we called sierra's long-distance hint line. You have to start off in the bottom right corner of the tongue, and climb up in some weird zig-zaggy pattern to get to the top.

(Oh, and picking up that bridle on the island with the shipwreck? "Pick up Bridle, pick up the bridle, get bridle, get horse restraint" didn't work. "Look at the bow of the boat" is the correct way to pick up an errand bridle you can already see on the ground." )

Ring of the Niebelung

In chapter two, you play as some fire god, and come up to this door with a 6 (or was it 8) digit combination number puzzle.
Problem is, the game never tells you, or gives any hint, as to where to find this combination - or even what it means. Even the official guide stated "The puzzle combination is ########.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
When I was young and back when FF6 (FF3) could be rented, I could never get past the part where Sabin had to use his special move on his rival. I never played fighting games and was deliberately pressing DOWN and then LEFT (or RIGHT, whichever) instead of doing the hadouken motion. I just always died at that boss because I could not do the input correctly.

FutureCop posted:

Two puzzles in particular that I remember stumping me as a kid:

Alundra had a series of 'ice pillar' rooms, where you had to slide the pillars around to place them on a switch to open up the next room. It starts you off with some basic ones, but the later ones are just ridiculous and convoluted, which was surprising because I remember it being one of the earlier dungeons in the game. I never got to beat that game because I couldn't solve that puzzle. I remember revisiting the game in my older years and being able to solve it after much trial and error, but back then, jeez.

I had a save file where I was apparently at the end game, but I was missing 1 of the gem things you put on the pedestals (Which were at the end of each dungeon) and I had no clue where I might have missed it. I really wish I could have beaten that game.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

The Crusher posted:

When I was young and back when FF6 (FF3) could be rented, I could never get past the part where Sabin had to use his special move on his rival. I never played fighting games and was deliberately pressing DOWN and then LEFT (or RIGHT, whichever) instead of doing the hadouken motion. I just always died at that boss because I could not do the input correctly.

poo poo, that. I lost to that boss the first time because I performed the sequence too fast. Turns out you had to hold each D-pad position for a half second or more, or it wouldn't register. So banging out a hadouken would have screwed you too.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I could never figure out how to beat the last boss of Wrath of the Black Manta (NES).

And I had to look up how to beat the map puzzle in Zelda: Phantom Hourglass.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 3, 2014

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In the last boss fight of Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass for the DS, some gimmick shows up that makes you stop time for a few seconds by drawing an hourglass on the touchscreen. It has a sideways hourglass picture drawn on it, so I assumed you needed to draw it just like in the picture, which is actually not at all accurate. It didn't work for me so many times that naturally I assumed I wasn't doing it precisely enough, so I spent longer and longer trying to draw it just right, which was actually the opposite of what you needed to do: Draw a loving figure 8 as fast as you could (either drawing an actual hourglass shape or taking longer than a second to do it would screw it up).

I didn't get past that until several years later when I started the game over and looked at a guide online to see what the hell I was missing about it. If I remember correctly apparently the European versions of the game actually had a figure 8 icon instead of that confusing hourglass :psyduck:

Corn Burst
Jun 18, 2004

Blammo!

Red Red Blue posted:

The barrel thing in the carnival level in sonic 3

I did the whole timed jump thing for a good hour (which is a long time for a kid) before I said, "gently caress it". Only later figured it out on an emulator.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Right at the start of Monkey Island 2, with Largo's laundry ticket thing, that was so obtuse and drawn out and stupid. I beat it a year later after my brother just flat out told me what to do.
I personally experienced the cat mustache in Gabriel Knight 3 before it turned into a thing, I got it the day it came out because I love the GK games, and that puzzle was beyond stupid, in fact, most of that game's puzzles were loving insane. Another game I didn't beat until a year or two after I got it and actually felt like looking up a guide.

Here, read about it, it was just, well, Jesus, just what the gently caress were they thinking? : http://kotaku.com/5903932/how-we-survived-adventure-gamings-most-hair-tearingly-ridiculous-puzzles

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
My friends and I could never figure out how to get past the hallway in order to get the spring ball in Super Metroid. We would always walk into the area and obliterate the enemy there and get stuck. We thought we needed the screw attack, so we got it and came back and nothing. Finally, I think I found a Gamepro magazine that said we needed to spare the enemy and let it break down the wall.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I didn't get past that until several years later when I started the game over and looked at a guide online to see what the hell I was missing about it. If I remember correctly apparently the European versions of the game actually had a figure 8 icon instead of that confusing hourglass :psyduck:

This, along with your avatar, reminded me how the Professor Layton games often had puzzles changed for the European releases. I can't remember any specifics, but some other regional differences included a different voice actor for Luke, as well as one of the later games missing out on a pretty substantial bonus game made by Brownie Brown, the Mother 3 developers.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Ahundredbux posted:

In Alone in the Dark, I think I gave up at the Gargoyle guarding the staircase.

That's basically the start of the game and I couldn't figure out what to do.

Ha, I had to look at a strategy guide for the game at a CompUSA in order to get past that part. I tried it again like a year ago and I had to look it up again cause I have no idea what they expect you to do there (think it involves a mirror)?

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
There was one of those puzzle adventure games called Simon The Sorcerer I had as a kid and I got to a point where I needed to get some gold coins to progress. Well, the solution to getting said coins was to sell a gem you picked up to a shady dealer. Talking to the dealer, he would offer to look at your things to see if he was interested in buying any, but when you choose the gem he just says "No, I don't want that." However, if you use the command Give Gem, he magically accepts it and pays you the gold coins. I figured that out approximately 10 years later.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Catpiss Neverclean posted:

Tomb of the Unknown King in Final Fantasy 8 :argh:

I think most of the difficulty here was that your "camera" was always behind you in there. So going say right, up, left, right, up to a room meant you had to go up, left, up, right, up to get back to the room you started in. Pretty complicated for a simple S shape.

code:
   __f
s__|

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

SpazmasterX posted:

I think most of the difficulty here was that your "camera" was always behind you in there. So going say right, up, left, right, up to a room meant you had to go up, left, up, right, up to get back to the room you started in. Pretty complicated for a simple S shape.

code:
   __f
s__|

The Tomb of the Unknown King was a completely optional maze. All you needed to do to progress was grab the code from the sword and get out. You didn't need to grab the Brothers GF.
And since it's a maze, the entire thing can be beaten by going right. No matter what you do, just go right, and whenever you get to a dead end, do the thing there (there's only one thing you can do - fight a boss, or pull a switch).

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
loving Silpheed or Thexder or whatever it was. I couldn't get passed the first level let alone finish the game. Although, I was a dumb kid at the time.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Renegret posted:

Was that a Game Boy game?

I was in a similar situation, I somehow got my hands on some Game Boy batman game as a kid and I just could not figure how to get out of the first room in the game. I did have the instruction manual, and it was useless.

No, this was on SNES. Although there was a gameboy version of Batman Forever, so it may have had a similar issue. I've never played the gameboy version though.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Weird Dreams on Amiga, all of it, what the gently caress was going on?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1rhvFW3Lbo

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The big one that sticks out in my mind in Link's Awakening on the Game Boy, which really had me in three different places-

1. The room in Bottle Grotto (dungeon #2) that has the boss key. You have to kill the enemies in a certain order for the chest to appear. The hint block for that dungeon says "first, defeat the imprisoned Pols Voice. Last, Stalfos", and the room contains a Pols Voice (those rabbit guys) hidden behind some push blocks, a Keese, and a Stalfos, except stupid me didn't know the names of any enemies so I was completely dumbfounded by that hint. It seriously took me years to figure out, I don't know how long exactly but in that time I had not only ground out the rupees for the Bow (980 rupees), but also bought it and ground my wallet back up to 999. You could only get single rupees to drop from enemies in this game, none of the 5/20/50 rupee nonsense like today.

2. In Richard's Castle, it took me quite a while to realize that one of his Golden Leaves was in a hidden wall with a knight's face on it. This part is right after Bottle Grotto and I seem to recall having a minor panic attack (or whatever that means to a prepubescent kid) because the pain of that drat boss key was still fresh in my mind.

3. In the Face Shrine (dungeon #6), I didn't realize there were rooms in what appeared to be empty map spaces, and that I had to enter an "eye" through a hidden bomb-able wall in order to progress. The dungeon map layout is that of a face, and that stage's hint block was "enter the space where the eyes have walls", which I figured out a little more quickly but I can see why that hint system never came back. Or maybe I was just dumb, I think there was an actual entrance into the other eye and I was supposed to realize I could enter both of them?

Maybe it's because it was my first Zelda, or maybe I was a lot dumber as a kid than I thought, but man did that game give me fits at times. I'm sure there's a few other games that stumped me like that but LA stands out to me in that regard.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I think it was the loving 2nd or 3rd flute section in the Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks. I knew what I had to do, but I don't see how it was possible to blow the flute to the rhythm with the lovely-rear end microphone on the DS. I spent almost an hour trying it over and over again, thinking maybe the game would just take pity on me and let me progress anyways, but nope, they honestly expected you to be good at that poo poo.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I've always liked Old Man Murray's post-mortem on the adventure genre, and its walkthrough for the cat-hair moustache: http://www.oldmanmurray.com/features/77.html

comatose posted:

loving Silpheed or Thexder or whatever it was. I couldn't get passed the first level let alone finish the game. Although, I was a dumb kid at the time.

Thexder. That game was balls-hard and loaded with weirdly hidden poo poo. The sequel was a lot more forgiving.

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

JebanyPedal posted:

Right at the start of Monkey Island 2, with Largo's laundry ticket thing, that was so obtuse and drawn out and stupid. I beat it a year later after my brother just flat out told me what to do.
I personally experienced the cat mustache in Gabriel Knight 3 before it turned into a thing, I got it the day it came out because I love the GK games, and that puzzle was beyond stupid, in fact, most of that game's puzzles were loving insane. Another game I didn't beat until a year or two after I got it and actually felt like looking up a guide.

Here, read about it, it was just, well, Jesus, just what the gently caress were they thinking? : http://kotaku.com/5903932/how-we-survived-adventure-gamings-most-hair-tearingly-ridiculous-puzzles

All the Gabriel Knight games had awful, awful puzzles; but the plots and characters were fantastic. I think it'd work like a third person adventure game with light puzzles and a bit more action. A GTA-lite New Orleans Shattenjagger would be very cool.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

FutureCop posted:

Alundra had a series of 'ice pillar' rooms, where you had to slide the pillars around to place them on a switch to open up the next room. It starts you off with some basic ones, but the later ones are just ridiculous and convoluted, which was surprising because I remember it being one of the earlier dungeons in the game. I never got to beat that game because I couldn't solve that puzzle. I remember revisiting the game in my older years and being able to solve it after much trial and error, but back then, jeez.

I remember when that came out in the UK. There was a really popular magazine at the time that dealt in PS1 walkthroughs that had part 1 of a two-part guide to the game, and the first part ended right after the ice pillar puzzle you mentioned. Thing was, the solution they gave had an error, so you were unable to complete it properly. Cue the following month's issue, where the letters page is flooded with people writing in to complain that the walkthrough was incorrect. I never got past that section at all and it just killed my enthusiasm for the game as a whole.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
The bit right at the end of Kings Quest 5 where the only way to progress is to stand in a random room and not do anything for a few minutes, after which the bad guy will go to sleep. gently caress me that "puzzle" was some hint book bait.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT

Loomer posted:

The beginning of young merlin, since for some reason my copy wouldn't let me attack that loving rear end in a top hat tree.

Minecart ride. drat you for opening old wounds, man.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I remember when that came out in the UK. There was a really popular magazine at the time that dealt in PS1 walkthroughs that had part 1 of a two-part guide to the game, and the first part ended right after the ice pillar puzzle you mentioned. Thing was, the solution they gave had an error, so you were unable to complete it properly. Cue the following month's issue, where the letters page is flooded with people writing in to complain that the walkthrough was incorrect. I never got past that section at all and it just killed my enthusiasm for the game as a whole.

Haha, I remember that now that you mention it, I was pissed as hell at them for getting it wrong. I did eventually get past it by myself, but I ended up stuck in one of the final dungeons anyway :(

So mine is Breath of Fire III but it's not the part people expect - I've never had much trouble with the Desert. No, my obstacle came far, far earlier, just a few hours into the game when you're making your way up through Momo's Tower. There was a room where a number of cubes with different colors on each face were rotating on plinths above switches, and there was another one across the screen. I quickly figured out that you had to match the cubes on your side with the other one. Only no, that's wrong, because I keep failing and falling through the floor when I try to walk over there.

I tried for days before giving up because the game had to go back to the rental store. Months later I tried it again and even following a guide the same thing happened. I loved the game so a couple of times I rented it, got to that point, and then stopped playing, until by sheer blind chance I hit upon the cause of my distress. It turns out there's a secondary element that was indicated precisely loving nowhere. Even if you do the puzzle correctly, if you're running when you walk on the trick floor, it'll still drop you through. I ran everywhere, of course. Why wouldn't I? I don't remember for sure but I don't think running instead of walking had an effect anywhere else in the game and there was absolutely no signal or information that you had to walk over this thing.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

C-Euro posted:

1. The room in Bottle Grotto (dungeon #2) that has the boss key. You have to kill the enemies in a certain order for the chest to appear. The hint block for that dungeon says "first, defeat the imprisoned Pols Voice. Last, Stalfos", and the room contains a Pols Voice (those rabbit guys) hidden behind some push blocks, a Keese, and a Stalfos, except stupid me didn't know the names of any enemies so I was completely dumbfounded by that hint. It seriously took me years to figure out, I don't know how long exactly but in that time I had not only ground out the rupees for the Bow (980 rupees), but also bought it and ground my wallet back up to 999. You could only get single rupees to drop from enemies in this game, none of the 5/20/50 rupee nonsense like today.

Yeah, this was me too. Same room, same confusion with the hint block due to not knowing what the hell a Stalfos was. I left it for a year and only solved it after a friend told me he was in the third dungeon, which I found astonishing. I don't remember if he told me how to solve it or if I just went back and got it accidentally. I also got stuck at the Eagle's Tower for a while trying to knock down the last pillar - this one. In the screen below that one you had to throw the bowling ball across a pit but you had to kill a few Three-of-a-Kinds on the other side of a wall to get a chest to appear so you could zip across, and I couldn't figure out how to reach them without dropping the ball/resetting its location.

Also I always grinded for money in the meadow south of the shop, just chopping down the grass and bushes. :)

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

SpazmasterX posted:

Tomb of the Unknown King

It was really confusing when I first played ff8 but its not that bad really. Like you said the camera angle was what made that difficult.

Skies of Arcadia. The first time you have a ship battle against the giant red monster with multiple faces. You have to dodge or something in that fight and I could never figure it out as a kid, but managed to when I went back to the game a few years later.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

C-Euro posted:

The big one that sticks out in my mind in Link's Awakening on the Game Boy, which really had me in three different places-

2. In Richard's Castle, it took me quite a while to realize that one of his Golden Leaves was in a hidden wall with a knight's face on it. This part is right after Bottle Grotto and I seem to recall having a minor panic attack (or whatever that means to a prepubescent kid) because the pain of that drat boss key was still fresh in my mind.

3. In the Face Shrine (dungeon #6), I didn't realize there were rooms in what appeared to be empty map spaces, and that I had to enter an "eye" through a hidden bomb-able wall in order to progress. The dungeon map layout is that of a face, and that stage's hint block was "enter the space where the eyes have walls", which I figured out a little more quickly but I can see why that hint system never came back. Or maybe I was just dumb, I think there was an actual entrance into the other eye and I was supposed to realize I could enter both of them?

Maybe it's because it was my first Zelda, or maybe I was a lot dumber as a kid than I thought, but man did that game give me fits at times. I'm sure there's a few other games that stumped me like that but LA stands out to me in that regard.

There was another one in Richard's Castle I think where you had to open a door by throwing something at it and absolutely nothing hinted at that and I only got past it when I ended up throwing a pot at that door out of frustration and I'm not sure if that's really stupid design or really brilliant

The puzzles in Link's Awakening are bullshit

Dexie posted:

The final boss of Golden Sun on the GBA. I didn't realize that Venus Lighthouse was the final dungeon, and the game makes no mention of the fact that if you save on the rooftop of the lighthouse, you can't go back downstairs. I ended up trapped at the final boss, underlevelled, with a low inventory, and no way to get back.

I tried for several hours to beat that boss, then just got pissed at the stupid design decision there and gave up.

Couldn't you just use the Retreat Psyenergy?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

FutureCop posted:

Lufia 2 had a series of colored block puzzles: if you put a yellow block between two red blocks, the blocks in-between would change to red, and vice-versa. The last puzzle always stumped me, as I felt like I had the solution, but wasn't able to do it because I couldn't place the block in the final position as it was impossible to position the hero correctly without walking. Turns out that I did have the right idea, but I didn't realize that I could turn the character in place by holding the shoulder button and then pressing a direction. Without knowing this, the puzzle was impossible as the final move required turning in place (and this technique was never used before or after this puzzle).

It gives me some pleasure that doing a simple google search for "alundra ice pillar puzzle" and "lufia 2 color block puzzle" brings up results like "one of the hardest puzzles in existence" and "puzzles from hell".

The hardest ones in Lufia 2 were the Chaed plant growing puzzle and that big shuffle puzzle in the same dungeon. The latter I could never solve, it took really long and was hard as hell.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It's been more than a decade so I may be getting some details wrong, but we (me, my dad, my siblings) were playing through Septerra Core and got completely stuck at a point where you're supposed to look for a pilot for a ship or something. This was before the internet so after we scoured the whole game twice (or at least we thought we did) we just gave up completely.

I looked up the solution on GameFAQs some years later and it turns out there's this one NPC standing outside a bar that's the guy you need. As far as I know though there was never any clue that he's supposed to be the target.

I still don't know how that game ends.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

The part of Lufia 2 I couldn't get past was the Ancient dungeon. You're like halfway through this JRPG and they hand you a Roguelike. I just kept playing it over and over, piling up blue-chest treasures. Never went back to the main game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.
When I was 6 or 7, I had that really bad dragonlance game on NES, couldnt see/understand holding up or down to use doors. So I just jumped repeatedly into the pit with every member of my party.

When I was 11, Final Fantasy Tactics first I realized I needed a memory card, this was the first game I bought with the PlayStation me and my brother saved up for. Nor could I figure outhow to change class. I made it all the way to fight with Velius without saving and with a party of squires.

• Locked thread