Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Oh, and just one more thing crossed my mind. German infantry is endowed with smoke grenades which can be employed to create brief smoke screens. They don't have many, though - just one per platoon leader, two per squad.

Russians don't carry smoke grenades, but then they are heavy smokers so they don't need them anyway.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horns of Hattin
Dec 21, 2011

unwantedplatypus posted:

The earlier the tanks ford, the less time the enemy has to catch us fording. Unless there is an intense artillery bombardment, I want troops north of the river. If you let a few mortars/76mms stop you then I will have to ask Valiantman to send a different platoon to ride the tanks.

I will do it, and I will leave it to Valiantman to make the call re: the bombardment.

It would be great if I knew which tanks are moving to G-ford (don't say all of them).

Also great to know how many men are in each of my squads and HMG team.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Nenonen posted:

Aye-aye!

2. Kompanie/2. Zug

Don't move, just quick the whole way. We don't need to conserve that much right now and we're not staying hidden at the moment.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

eigenstate posted:

I will do it, and I will leave it to Valiantman to make the call re: the bombardment.

It would be great if I knew which tanks are moving to G-ford (don't say all of them).

Also great to know how many men are in each of my squads and HMG team.

All of them.

I'm also thinking that our tanks, once they cross the ford, will be able to attack the enemy tanks from the F10 knoll. We could leave a panther there. Is that plausible? If not, I would be willing to part with a panther to go to the H14 knoll. But this does weaken both the infantry and the armour that will be present in the village for our side.

Additionally, the fact that they can't put tanks on that treeline means we have much less to smoke. We will be long gone by the time they are able to set up any AT guns in that forest.

Also Grey I changed the orders on my forward observer slightly

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

1st Company, 4th Platoon

When we enter the field of engagement, all troops are to find any spare seats on the tanks and prepare for urban combat.

Ve vill lure ze soviets into the town. Then BURY THEN IN THEIR INFERIOR METAL COFFINS. FOR ZE FUHERLAND!

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

unwantedplatypus posted:

I'm also thinking that our tanks, once they cross the ford, will be able to attack the enemy tanks from the F10 knoll. We could leave a panther there. Is that plausible? If not, I would be willing to part with a panther to go to the H14 knoll. But this does weaken both the infantry and the armour that will be present in the village for our side.

I'd really appreciate having a Panther until Turn 7 or 8. Our MGs can pepper the D12 ford, but having a big gun up on that ridge will let us do some damage to them as they cross.

Once that's done, the Panther can transport elements of of 2. Kompanie into the village, if necessary.

Nenonen posted:

One thing though, we could maybe try to force them to guess when it's safe to enter the fords. Eg. if we started by having just one mortar tube fire harassment directly on ford P, it could force them to gather troops in the woods to south of that ford to wait for the bombardment to end. Then, drop a 75mm barrage on that area on turn 5 or 10...

We should do this.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 5, 2014

Ygmir
Jan 27, 2012

Panzer VA

Wir werden freiwillig mit 2. Kompanie verbinden, und bieten Unterstützung für die größte Zahl der sowjetischen Opfer möglich zu gewährleisten.

We will volunteer to link up with 2nd Company, and provide assistance to ensure the greatest number of soviet casualties possible.

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable
1st Company 2nd Platoon orders

Set up as close to the edge of the deployment zone in square B12 as follows:

(HMG, 1st and 2nd squad should be closest to the edge of our deployment zone)

1) set 100m firing arcs(circle) for 2nd platoon
2) QUICK move the HMG team, Flamethrowers, 1st squad & 2nd squad to the trees by the river at B9-B10. HQ and 3rd squad WAIT 15 seconds, then QUICK to the trees by the river at B9-B10
3) PAUSE 15 seconds at the trees at B9-B10
4) QUICK to the treeline near the ford at B8, Position units according to picture below, 20m spread between units.
5) Change Facing and target arc on 1st, 2nd and 3rd squad.

Click here for the full 338x721 image

Pea fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jul 5, 2014

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Bacarruda posted:

I'd really appreciate having a Panther until Turn 7 or 8. Our MGs can pepper the D12 ford, but having a big gun up on that ridge will let us do some damage to them as they cross.

It seems Ygmir will be the panther in question. Once his assistance is no longer needed he can take a squad and head to the town. Although I prefer that squad be from 1st Company, as there will be some stragglers south of the river.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

unwantedplatypus posted:

It seems Ygmir will be the panther in question. Once his assistance is no longer needed he can take a squad and head to the town. Although I prefer that squad be from 1st Company, as there will be some stragglers south of the river.

Sounds good.

Ygmir, you'll be with 2. Kompanie on the ridge until Turn 7 or 8. If we need you longer than that, I'll let you know. Get a good hull-down position and make sure you can fire on the Russian ford at L8.

e: also, do we have a Battalion fires plan? I liked Nenonen's idea about blocking the fords, then shelling the positions where they're waiting.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I told the 75mm guns to just support whatever the mortars are doing. Honestly I think I'll just give TonySnow control of the battery for these early stages so he can better coordinate fire. As for specifics, that's his job, not mine. I shouldn't step in unless he is about to do something really stupid.

I am adding that to my units orders, TonySnow commands the 75mm guns until I say otherwise.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Oh and Grey could you please transmit this message to the Russians in their own thread?

quote:

Hello Untermensch. I contact you today to give you the chance to surrender. For you see, you have no chance of victory. I have personally studied every aspect of Rommel's tactics. I know the penetration tables of the 8.8 cm KwK 43 L/71 on the Koenig Tiger by heart. The Koenig Tiger, by the way, was never penetrated from the front. My stormtroopers are the finest in the whermacht, carrying magnificent exemplars of German engineering such as the Karabiner 98 Kurz, the Maschinenpistole 40, and even the Sturmgewehr 44. Me 262s take to the skies to defend the vaterland on two fronts, firing 30mm Minengeschoß ammunition at 650 rounds a minute. My Tigers, Panthers, Jagdpanzers, Jagdpanthers, and Jagdtigers can take out your heaviest tanks from 1000m without batting an eye, thanks to their expertly crafted 88mm and 75mm guns. Heavily calculated 75mm, 105mm, and 149mm artillery shells shall pound your forces into nonexistence, any survivors will be cut down by MG 42s firing 1,200 rounds a minute.

The German War Machine is unstoppable

How well did I channel wehraboo right there?

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

We are still missing orders from eigenstate, gbuchold, ForeverBWFC, NattyNinefingers
DagPenge, anilEhilated, and Readingaccount.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

TonySnow, a couple of requests.

First, could you send four HMG teams to the area around G14 and H14 and deploy them to cover the L8 ford and L11-L14 treeline? If we get hit by Russian artillery fire, you're free to pull them back.

Second, could we get 3-4 smoke shells fired at H12 and H13 during Turns 1 and 10? This ought to screen the movement of the tanks and 2 Kompanie into the village.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

unwantedplatypus posted:

Oh and Grey could you please transmit this message to the Russians in their own thread?

How well did I channel wehraboo right there?

:godwinning: :gifttank: :godwinning:

edit: Did a small clarification to my orders for Grey. Shouldn't affect the platoon leaders' orders.

Valiantman fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jul 5, 2014

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
If we could mount up our entire division we'd be in the village in no time, I fear for the people we leave south of the river and think we should put plenty of tanks covering the south, as well as the main roads crossing towards the train station. Buttoning down a road will allow us to do area denial and also hit the flanks of any tanks.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Incoming Russian Response.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Orders for Der Panzerschwanzkompensator: Wait at the edge of the spawning area for the infantry to climb up, then make a run for the railway station via the G ford. Preferably stick to the left side of Zyrden's tank so it takes some hits for us. Behind the railway station, let the infantry find cover then face east.

I'm just hoping some infantry will actually get on this thing.

edit: And yes, this is very much the Dirk Gently school of tank-driving.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 5, 2014

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Grey Hunter posted:

Incoming Russian Response.

brilliant

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
Are we starting with mortars deployed and ready to fire or not?

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
Also I'd like to ask why all our sub commanders are giving differing orders to their MG teams while doing general un-smart things and not moving cohesively.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Samuel posted:

Also I'd like to ask why all our sub commanders are giving differing orders to their MG teams while doing general un-smart things and not moving cohesively.

Could you elaborate, please? Probably the answer is "goons" but the above doesn't help much.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
We got MG's setting up in the far south treeline and the only viable crossing we have in the north, this way the south will get isolated and bombed while the main force goes north.
And we got the north side setting up and covering empty space, in a highly likely bomb zone. Most likely the Russians will come from the south and the village proper but they won't be there when the MG is setting up at the riverbank.

I kinda feel like we're trapped here, but also scattering our forces that will just get isolated and die while we move for the train station.

Samuel fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 5, 2014

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

So it goes.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Samuel posted:

We got MG's setting up in the far south treeline and the only viable crossing we have in the north, this way the south will get isolated and bombed while the main force goes north.
And we got the north side setting up and covering empty space, in a highly likely bomb zone. Most likely the Russians will come from the south and the village proper but they won't be there when the MG is setting up at the riverbank.

I kinda feel like we're trapped here, but also scattering our forces that will just get isolated and die while we move for the train station.

The main force isn't going north, the main force is staying in the south until they get an opportunity to go north. They aren't going to send hundreds of sturmoviks to bomb literally all of our forces.

Additionally the "Empty space" we're covering includes the enemy's most viable ford and the rail station. The Russians cannot move their armor through that big forest at L11-16. Which means our MGs can deal with any problems that pop up there.

Our tanks, once they reach the village, can protect our infantry moving north to ford. Then the fight in the village escalates.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
Sounds good, I'm kind of a newb at Combat Mission, but I'd feel incautious if I didn't voice my concern for a cohesive and clear combat plan.

Horns of Hattin
Dec 21, 2011
Allright, orders:

Deploy already mounted on the two Pathers and two PzIV ordered into the town (all except Ygmir's) in the following manner:
- 1st squad + Platoon leader on the lead Panther
- 2nd squad + HMG team on the second Panther
- 3rd squad on the PzIV placed furthest forward.
- The remaining platoon elements (just the flamethrowers?) and Veloxyll's Panzershrek team(s?) should then be spread among all four panzers to the best of ability, so that no one panzer is overloaded while another one is empty.

The four panzers can carry 2x15+2x12 = 54 men total, so there should even be room left over.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

I fixed it for you.

TonySnow
Mar 24, 2008
Grey Hunter, fire missions:

Smoke Mission from 81mms, as follows:
2 gun mortar mission (the shift select option under the artillery screen, select two of the on map mortars), 1 mortar from each mortar platoon. Target: Linear from top of K11 to upper right corner of K14. Mission: Smoke. Duration: Maximum.

HE, Fuze Time Mission for 75mm Battery, as follows
1 Gun. Target: Point Target, middle of ford at P7. Mission: Medium. Duration: Maximum. Effect: Personnel. Delay: 5 minutes.
Image for clarification. This is the ford at P7.

Observer for both will be Weapons Company HQ Team

TonySnow fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 7, 2014

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
^ I would super wait for a wind direction before a smoke mission and even until we have better timing. Having played some CMBN recently both the AI and myself have conducted really poor smoke missions repeatedly due to the wind being dead or misjudging the timing and running out of smoke too early.

TonySnow
Mar 24, 2008

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

^ I would super wait for a wind direction before a smoke mission and even until we have better timing. Having played some CMBN recently both the AI and myself have conducted really poor smoke missions repeatedly due to the wind being dead or misjudging the timing and running out of smoke too early.

I don't want to risk missing the turn submission cutoff - if we have to plan these missions after the game starts you're looking at 3-4 minutes of wait time before we see rounds on the ground. Besides, we'll only be using 12 of our 72 allotted smoke rounds for this mission.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

TonySnow posted:

Grey Hunter, fire missions:

Smoke Mission from 81mms, as follows:

2 gun mortar mission (the shift select option under the artillery screen), 1 mortar from each mortar platoon. Target: Linear from middle of F13 to upper right corner of H14. Mission: Smoke. Duration: Maximum.

HE, Fuze Time Mission for 75mm Battery: 1 Gun. Target: Point Target, middle of ford at P7. Mission: Medium. Duration: Maximum. Effect: Personnel. Delay: 5 minutes.

So we're only shelling one ford? I think we can spare a few rounds for the L8 ford.

Also, could we do a linear fire mission from P7 to P9. They'll be moving slowly in that swamp and I think it'd be a good opportunity to bag some Ruskies as they're knee-deep in mud.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
:siren:24 hours on the order limit:siren:

After that I will begin the long task of setting everything up. PLease make sure your orders are clear and easy to find.

TonySnow
Mar 24, 2008

Bacarruda posted:

So we're only shelling one ford? I think we can spare a few rounds for the L8 ford.

Also, could we do a linear fire mission from P7 to P9. They'll be moving slowly in that swamp and I think it'd be a good opportunity to bag some Ruskies as they're knee-deep in mud.

From what I can tell there is no way to delay mortar fire missions - so if we plan it now there is no way to delay it. We'd be wasting all our rounds in the first 5 minutes on the L ford when there is no way in hell they'd be there before turn 6 or 7. Hopefully if we get some units on that G ridge we can see the L ford and call for fire later.

We could shoot P7 thru P9 but once again, mortars have no delay available for preplanned targets so we'd be wasting rounds. Plus unless they were super concentrated, the HE weight in both the 81s and 75s aren't enough to put the hurt on troops in cover, laying down. The 75s are best used as an area denial weapon, preventing the troops from moving through open ground without suffering casualties or breaking their morale. There simply isn't enough artillery to do everything, so I rather use it to deny them a major crossing, force them to go through the L ford (or wait for the barrage to be over) and hopefully mess up whatever plan they have. The L ford is close enough to be covered by our direct fire, and close enough for observers to call mortar fire down once we see them move the majority of their dismounted infantry to that ford. There is no possible way for them to have enough vehicles to move all their infantry, so they face the same issues we do and will take time to cross the river, time for us to use our mortar to delay or deny. The P ford is completely out of sight and we have no way of observing, so better to just commit our artillery and deny them that avenue of approach. If they have to spend 15 minutes re-routing half their forces, that is 15 minutes we can spend establishing our defenses.

There is a big misconception about artillery and how it can be used, it will never destroy entire enemy units in one volley or one fire mission. In the Real Thing, artillery observer could and did fire on supply routes they couldn't even see except on a map, based off the fact they saw dust coming up over a ridge. A little broad for Combat Mission, but if you bring it back to our level, artillery (especially howitzers) doesn't have the responsiveness for a surgical strike on enemy squads, but you can spend a whole hour denying the enemy an avenue of attack with 75s. Which is exactly what we are doing here. We can't predict exactly where the enemy will be in every minute, but we can guess at their overall plan and use our artillery to effect that plan in a positive way for us. Use our howitzers to deny, and our extremely responsive mortars to neutralize or suppress specific, spotted units.

I hope this doesn't come off condescending or anything, just trying to justify my usage of the artillery, I'm extremely passionate about artillery and how to use, and have spent a lot of time studying it.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

TonySnow posted:

I hope this doesn't come off condescending or anything, just trying to justify my usage of the artillery, I'm extremely passionate about artillery and how to use, and have spent a lot of time studying it.

It's cool! You're the weapons company commander, so it's your call.

If we can get the Forward Observer into a good LOS on H14 ridge, hopefully he'll be able to get good LOS on Russian movements across the river and we can get some mortar missions lined up early on.

TonySnow
Mar 24, 2008

Bacarruda posted:

It's cool! You're the weapons company commander, so it's your call.

If we can get the Forward Observer into a good LOS on H14 ridge, hopefully he'll be able to get good LOS on Russian movements across the river and we can get some mortar missions lined up early on.

I agree, even if I end up going out there myself, I think it is necessary. As long as someone can watch that L ford... unwantedplatypus, would you be opposed to having at least one sort of observer capable unit that can watch the L ford, even if it is myself? One unit would be much easier to hide while still being able to determine their plan.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

Grey Hunter posted:

:siren:24 hours on the order limit:siren:

After that I will begin the long task of setting everything up. PLease make sure your orders are clear and easy to find.

I believe we should keep talks to a minimum now and input our respective orders. Which will be none for me as I'm not partaking in this mission :sigh:

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
TonySnow!

Do you have a preferred set-up for the mortars (To the north of the DZ, the extreme west etc.)?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Angriff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

TonySnow posted:

I agree, even if I end up going out there myself, I think it is necessary. As long as someone can watch that L ford... unwantedplatypus, would you be opposed to having at least one sort of observer capable unit that can watch the L ford, even if it is myself? One unit would be much easier to hide while still being able to determine their plan.

I am sending my forward observer to H14

• Locked thread