Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

If you are a German player and reading this, please go away. You dirty, dirty cheater.

Welcome Comrades! Here you are ready to take on the might of the German Army, with Mother Russia on your side, you cannot lose!

If you do, we have another battalion behind you that will do the job. Any survivors of wave one will be used to clear mines.

Comrade dtkozl has carefully chosen your forces, but before we get to them, lets show you the orders you can give.
These are the infantry orders.

Hopefully, most of these are clear enough, but let me go through a few of them.

Move orders – the fast your men move, the more tired they will get. They will also be easier to spot.
Hunt means to move towards the enemy slowly until contact is made.
Assault orders will send your men forward shouting Urra!
Target arcs focus your men to a certain direction, rather than picking their targets.

Orders for Armour are similar, with reverse being added, as well as orders to button up and open up your tank.

Order Format

I would like orders to be done in the following format.

1st Platoon, 1st Company shall assault the building.

providing a map with the exact positions marked in some way is not 100% necessary, but will make me confusing your orders less likely. Using the correct movement colour would be amazing, if you can do it – if not, don't worry.

Your Forces

Comerade dtkozl has been allocated the following forces.

1st Battalion (Rifle 44)
Headquarters Team (dtkozl)

1st Company
Headquarters Team
Sniper Team
1st Platoon (3 squads infantry, 1 sniper team, 1 scout team, 1 flamethrower team)
2nd Platoon (3 squads infantry, 1 sniper team, 1 scout team, 1 flamethrower team)
3rd Platoon (3 squads infantry, 1 sniper team, 1 scout team, 1 flamethrower team)
Machine Gun section (Maxim M1910)
Machine Gun Team (Maxim HMG)
Antitank gun Team (76mm Antitank gun )
Truck (Studebaker)

Mortar Platoon [Medium] (4x82mm Mortars, BM-43)
Mortar Platoon [Medium] (4x82mm Mortars, BM-43)

1st Regiment (Tank, Heavy)
2nd Company (Submachinegun Company '43)

Headquarters Team
1st Platoon (3 SMG squads, 1 Tank Hunter team)
2nd Platoon (3 SMG squads, 1 Tank Hunter team)
3rd Platoon (3 SMG squads, 1 Tank Hunter team)
Antitank gun Team (76mm Antitank gun )
Truck (Studebaker)

Tank Regiment (Cavalry)

3rd Platoon (Tank)
HQ Tank (T-70M (M1943))
1st Light Tank (T-70M (M1943))
2nd Light Tank (T-70M (M1943))

Infantry Gun Battery (light)
4 x 76mm Infantry Gun (OB-25)

Tank Regiment (Heavy)
2nd Platoon (Tank, Heavy)
HQ Heavy Tank (IS-2 (mid))
1st Heavy Tank (IS-2 (mid))

dtkozl, if you could let people know where you would like them and how you have divvied this up, I'd be grateful!

I'll now allow some time for people to get sorted into their positions, once that is done, we'll get onto deployment and first orders.
I will also allow the commanders to make some modifications to their forces if they deem them necessary. if you can see a glaring problem in your commanders deployment, speak now.

Finally, here is the map with the fords marked, so you can think ahead.

Click here for the full 1918x1607 image

Good luck!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15phfGUQ3M9le-xwDTeig3n_TFqSUh9Zaql8drOXsVDQ/edit?usp=sharing

Orders Spreadsheet.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Aren't T-70s, like, real bad? Can we switch them with something more useful like extra infantry?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
We deploy in the lower right, yes? How long would it take to get HMGs and/or ATs to that center extension of forest south of the fourth ford from the left?

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008
Reporting for duty. :ussr:

I hope I'm not about to overstep my bounds as "probably dragging things around behind people" already, but based on a quick look at the previous game threads super-imposing a grid over the map seems like such a good idea I'm legitimately surprised the game doesn't already do it automatically. Unfortunately I'm pretty useless with that kind of thing. I think it would be quite nice though.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Getting HMGs and AT to the forest was my initial thought too, maybe also a sharpshooter element for maximum defense. 1st Company seem good for the defensive duty, though perhaps some elements should be splintered off.

Dtkozl, I am very happy to serve the Motherland in charge of any company. :ussr:

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Uncle Joes, haha.

I figure if we can get some smoke to cover the short stretch of exposed ground, we could get the shock (SMG) infantry across and to the objective quickly and safely.

As much fun as it would be to do tank desant with the T-70s, I imagine that's not practical.

RedLobster
Nov 19, 2010

Original Character
!DO NOT STEAL!
Ready to shoot mans in the face with my mans.
Do infantry squads have any anti-tank capabilities?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
The manual is available online, btw: It's worth a look. Tactics! Individual vehicles, guns, and small arms are described, as well.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

To whoever is going to command those IS-2s, look after them like Stalin's corpse is going to rise up and skullfuck you if you get them blown up.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

/\ And don't get them bogged, ffs

So, the good news: here's what the 122mm on our Uncle Joes does to the best of the Germans (h/t to Comrade Ensign Expendable)

The bad news: There's only 10 AP shells per tank. So don't miss.

For those of you too lazy to look at the manual, the AT guns take two minutes to deploy once stopped, and four minutes to pack up again. Do not expect to go zooming around with these fuckers.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

We should consider getting solid AT elements into town too, just in case. We should also consider a shock strike through the treeline, it is unlikely the enemy would expect this. Securing the objective may be useful, but remember: We're here to kill some krauts, not prance around with "strategy".

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Ok I gotta go lay like 300 dollars worth of mulch so we will get to the meat of this in a few hours, but I want to go over the basics of the force and the plan just to get some feedback that I won't follow.

You can see the group will naturally support 3 company commanders; 1 rifle, 1 smg, and 1 tank. The first two will be each assigned one 82mm mortar call in. The third will be in a tank, probably a IS 2 and will be responsible for overall coordinating the tank force with the needs of the infantry force. I will be in charge of the infantry gun call in. Each infantry company commander will be in charge of the two machine gun teams (rifle also organically gets a marksman unit), while the 76mm towed gun will be a goon under that company's command. The t-70s will be the scouts because ba-64s are boring and t-70s are cuter and if you aint down with my kawaii tank policy then :frogout:.

So we will need 3 company commanders, one of whom is comfortable with tanks. The two infantry companies will need 3 platoon leaders and 1 support goon commanding a gun and a truck. The rest will be 3 t-34s, 3 t-70s, and 1 IS-2 who will be semi broken up to support the different axes of attack, etc. Feel free to volunteer for positions, I will try and respect the sheet but I don't care if you suddenly want to move or whatever this is like taking penalty kicks I want confidence man I've been watching too much soccer.

(nb grey I just noticed you forgot the 3 t-34-85s in that list!)

Ok as for the plan part I am going to be pretty conservative. That ridge of trees (and it is a ridge, the area behind it is a depression so we can hit that ford closest to the map edge without being in los of anything) is a no go generally, the cover is too thick to allow vehicles or guns. The marksmen will stay with their commands and the commands with their men so unless I end up with some extra points and I can personally throw a new team up there we will leave it alone.

Plus there will be spies and I don't want to say too much too soon.

You guys and gals that want to theory-craft get some maps out and start playing around with our (and especially their) marching orders and axes of attack and such. I probably won't mortar their fords, that would be mean. Probably.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Reporting for duty! I don't know how well any of the stuff we bought does, so put me wherever you want. Preferably in the direction of the target point. Yay trains.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Oh we will probably need a picture of the map with some grid markers on it to help with telling grey where you want to go. If someone wants to make that sweet, if we need a better picture of the map I can take one later.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

dtkozl posted:

Oh we will probably need a picture of the map with some grid markers on it to help with telling grey where you want to go. If someone wants to make that sweet, if we need a better picture of the map I can take one later.

I made one... I assume it's ok for me to post it here, as Grey said he was going to do it. (But hasn't gotten around to it.)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Dammit, Sniped by Sniper!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Sir, I'm confident with any force. As a Company level officer, I request whatever force you believe will be the most crucial in seizing the objective. Lemme at the Germans, lemme at 'em! I also have a vague idea of which way guns should point.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
If anyone has IRC, I'm setting up a channel on synIRC for lighter discussion: #SovietThunder

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

Stepping up for duty.

I am comfortable pretty much anywhere on the board, but to make things easier for you I'll request 1 Company, 2nd platoon. Let me know if that works or if you need me somewhere else.

Once that's decided I'll get to work on the intricate backstory for each one of my fantastically doomed troop. Cherry orchards may be involved.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Due to personal experiences I harbor illogical resentment towards things with tracks. Give me an SMG platoon, put me on point and I'll be good.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

I'm excited to command 1st Company! If that's what I'm assigned, which I'm hoping is what will occur!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
So our ORBAT looks like this, then?

1st Battalion (Rifle 44)
Headquarters Team (BATTALION COMMANDER--dtkozl)

1st Company
Headquarters Team (COMPANY COMMANDER--tatankatonk?)
Sniper Team (SUBORDINATE TO COMPANY COMMANDER)
1st Platoon (3 squads infantry, 1 sniper team, 1 scout team, 1 flamethrower team) (PLATOON COMMANDER--dublish?)
2nd Platoon (3 squads infantry, 1 sniper team, 1 scout team, 1 flamethrower team) (PLATOON COMMANDER--RedFlag?)
3rd Platoon (3 squads infantry, 1 sniper team, 1 scout team, 1 flamethrower team) (PLATOON COMMANDER--AceBuckeye13)
Machine Gun section (Maxim M1910) (SUBORDINATE TO COMPANY COMMANDER--tatankatonk)
Machine Gun Team (Maxim HMG) (SUBORDINATE TO COMPANY COMMANDER--tatankatonk)
Antitank gun Team (76mm Antitank gun) (SUPPORT COMMANDER)
Truck (Studebaker) (SUBORDINATE TO SUPPORT COMMANDER)

Mortar Platoon [Medium] (4x82mm Mortars, BM-43) (SUBORDINATE TO COMPANY COMMANDER 1 tatankatonk?)
Mortar Platoon [Medium] (4x82mm Mortars, BM-43) (SUBORDINATE TO COMPANY COMMANDER 2 Herp Derp?)

2nd Company (Submachinegun Company '43)
Headquarters Team (COMPANY COMMANDER--Herp Derp?)
1st Platoon (3 SMG squads, 1 Tank Hunter team) (PLATOON COMMANDER--brakeless?)
2nd Platoon (3 SMG squads, 1 Tank Hunter team) (PLATOON COMMANDER--RedLobster)
3rd Platoon (3 SMG squads, 1 Tank Hunter team) (PLATOON COMMANDER--Willie Tomg)
Machine Gun Team (Maxim HMG) (SUBORDINATE TO COMPANY COMMANDER--Herp Derp)
Machine Gun Team (Maxim HMG) (SUBORDINATE TO COMPANY COMMANDER--Herp Derp)
Antitank gun Team (76mm Antitank gun ) (SUPPORT COMMANDER)
Truck (Studebaker) (SUBORDINATE TO SUPPORT COMMANDER)

Tank Regiment (Cavalry)
3rd Platoon (Tank)
HQ Tank (T-70M (M1943)) (TANK COMMANDER)
1st Light Tank (T-70M (M1943)) (TANK COMMANDER--duckfoot)
2nd Light Tank (T-70M (M1943)) (TANK COMMANDER)

Infantry Gun Battery (light)
4 x 76mm Infantry Gun (OB-25) (SUBORDINATE TO BATTALION COMMANDER--dtkozl)

Tank Regiment (Heavy)
2nd Platoon (Tank, Heavy)
HQ Heavy Tank (IS-2 (mid)) (COMPANY COMMANDER--HIGH COMMAND FOR ALL TANK UNITS--The Merry Marauder)
1st Heavy Tank (IS-2 (mid)) (TANK COMMANDER--Asehujiko?)

Additional Tanks
HQ Medium Tank (T-34-85) (TANK COMMANDER--Gamerofthegame?)
1st Medium Tank (T-34-85) (TANK COMMANDER--Krysmphoenix)
2nd Medium Tank (T-34-85) (TANK COMMANDER--Grumio)

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 2, 2014

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Sir, I'm confident with any force.

This guy speaks the truth. He's gotten the Soviets to Riga by April 1943 in the No Retreat! LP.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I'll take command of anything you guys need to shoot at Germans.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Didn't one of the old threads have a really fantastic group of tutorial posts? I don't have archives, but anybody who does should definitely try to find those and repost them here. They'll be super valuable to anybody who hasn't played this game before.

I'll take command of 1. Platoon/1. Company, unless somebody wants to flip a coin for it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I'll take 2nd Company then. We'll take the Rail Station with ease.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
We've eight tanks and six tank mans. The IS-2s are mobile bricks, so they can probably stand to double up with the light tanks as well to give them more to do. The mediums need more of the "tactical finesse", heavies just point themselves at the enemy and don't over extend.

Speaking of, I'll take a T-34. Speedy tanks are best tanks.

In terms of communication etc, do the lead tanks in a platoon matter or is there still the strict chain of command of infantry despite actually having radio equipment on hand?

Besides that, we have a full on troop of relatively close shooters, complete with tank killers among them. The SMG infantry probably ought to rush the town and mingle in immediately. Their AT gun could park somewhere in cover and lord over the railway station. I have a strange feeling river physics are dickish, though, and that are heavy tanks couldn't ford it, leaving them on the other side. There is also a marsh or swamp on the right most ford, which means vehicles will get doubly stuck. The next ford over looks like it'll be off the ridge, however.

I'd say the speedy mediums would benefit from dashing around the city streets while the heavies would be better out in the field - otherwise they spend to much time turning and will get picked off by AT-hunters.

Edit: How long does it take to kick artillery up? We pretty much know that they'll be crossing at some point and could pepper the fords. That said, they could do the same thing. If we took a entirely to aggressive route we could force them to take the left most ford by moving heavy tanks up to screen out own force, then artillery the hell out of that ford and leave them hurting.

Gamerofthegame fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 2, 2014

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I made a quick sketch of how I see the situation:

I played a halftrack last time so give me an IS-2 for a change of pace if possible.

duckfoot
Nov 9, 2009
Could I take one of the scout tanks?

Probably not a good idea to put me in command, I really have no idea what I'm doing...

RedLobster
Nov 19, 2010

Original Character
!DO NOT STEAL!
I'll take an SMG platoon.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Asehujiko posted:

I made a quick sketch of how I see the situation:

I played a halftrack last time so give me an IS-2 for a change of pace if possible.

That Forest Fortress you've got marked should give fantastic overwatch on everything the Germans do. If they're competent at all, they'll put mortar fire on it until they've got a decent force across the river.

Any chance that we can get the map file? I'd love to see everything from ground level.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I can take a Rifle Platoon, if that's alright.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
^^^drat, you beat me by a minute, but any chance I could convince you to take an SMG/tank hunter platoon? :ohdear:

TOVARISHCH COMARADES, reporting in. I signed up for an infantry platoon but I'm one of them types that's content wherever, really.

oh wait one of the platoons has flamethrowers attached?

1STCOMPANY, 3RD PLATOON SO HARD oh god oh god im close. yeah, baby. yeahhhh.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 2, 2014

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
How thick are the roofs of our tanks? We could have an IS-2 try to weather the (probable) bombardment and take a few podshots at their spawn. Do they get King Tigers in 1944?

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Going through the manual and pulling out the heavy weapons / vehicles that I could find. Here, have a quick reference.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Put it this way: according to the Law of The Jungle, subsection III paragraph twelve, acebuckeye gets right of first refusal on that last rifle and flamethrower platoon and if not I'll take the first available SMG tank hunter platoon. And a remedial lesson on how to use tank hunter platoons in Combat Mission too since I've always been hot garbage at using them even in Barbarossa to Berlin.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Krysmphoenix posted:

Going through the manual and pulling out the heavy weapons / vehicles that I could find. Here, have a quick reference.

Thanks a bunch, Krysmphoenix! If you still have time, could you also call up a T-34/85 statline? I'm guessing it's "mid" or "model 1944" like our IS-2s.

EDIT: Oh, wait, that's a German AT gun. Is the Russian version the same?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

I'm afraid that's the wrong 76mm - you want the ZiS-3 in the direct-fire role. (pg 72)

I guess I'm the armored commander. Tanks a lot.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Page 54 of the manual (28 of the pdf) gives me three T-34-85's. M1943, M1944 Early and M1944 Late. Not sure which one to nab for you guys.

(When did we get these tanks? Didn't see them in the OP.)

EDIT: I know nothing about weaponry, I'm just literally searching for these and shoving them in a picture. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

How rare are smoke rounds for artillery on both sides? If the Germans are smart, they'll drop smoke rounds on the open ground east of the G ford while they move north to the B ford.

• Locked thread