Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Uncle Joes, haha.

I figure if we can get some smoke to cover the short stretch of exposed ground, we could get the shock (SMG) infantry across and to the objective quickly and safely.

As much fun as it would be to do tank desant with the T-70s, I imagine that's not practical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
The manual is available online, btw: It's worth a look. Tactics! Individual vehicles, guns, and small arms are described, as well.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

/\ And don't get them bogged, ffs

So, the good news: here's what the 122mm on our Uncle Joes does to the best of the Germans (h/t to Comrade Ensign Expendable)

The bad news: There's only 10 AP shells per tank. So don't miss.

For those of you too lazy to look at the manual, the AT guns take two minutes to deploy once stopped, and four minutes to pack up again. Do not expect to go zooming around with these fuckers.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

I'm afraid that's the wrong 76mm - you want the ZiS-3 in the direct-fire role. (pg 72)

I guess I'm the armored commander. Tanks a lot.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

tatankatonk posted:

How rare are smoke rounds for artillery on both sides? If the Germans are smart, they'll drop smoke rounds on the open ground east of the G ford while they move north to the B ford.

Not terribly. But if they're firing smoke missions, they're not harassing our fording process.

I'd personally urge a double mortar smoke mission timed so we can rush mounted across our primary ford. SMG infantry who wants to desant (hang on the loving tanks) welcome.

\/ Welcome, Comrade!

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"Hither came Uncle Joe, black-haired, sullen-eyed, with gigantic armor and gigantic cannon, to tread the filthy fascists under his, uh, treads."

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

I suppose I'll ask:

Grey Hunter: What is the time of day? Weather? Strength and direction of wind?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Unfortunately, flamethrowers have the range of a hurled sofa and the endurance of an obese person sprinting in the High Sierras.

They can't go anywhere alone.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

It depends on the tank, for simple handhold real estate reasons. Obviously, Uncle Joe won't be used in this role, but the T-34s could get a platoon across - thought they might need a T-70 to pick up stragglers, I haven't checked.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Ugh. That's a lot of new posts.

Someone can PM me the Roll20 link, btw.

Quick question - how steep is the elevation around reference line NO 9-10? I'd like the Cerulean crossers to approach the Ford with their front armor facing danger, if possible.

RedLobster, welcome aboard (literally) - if you can order your platoon to board during deployment appropriately (one squad per T-34, tank hunter team on T-70) that would be pleasant.

I may have missed this - which of my brave cavalrymen in T-70s volunteers to cross at Cerulean?

Details to follow.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Thanks, dublish. Tankers heading to Cerulean should take note. I'll mention that again later, if there's any confusion.

Asehujiko posted:

Would it be possible for the IS-2's to give infantry a ride from Q14 to P11 before they turn west towards M10 or would the disembarking process slow us down too much?

That's a call for our overall commander, I'd say. I'd prefer we be unencumbered, personally, but if having part of a platoon be less fatigued is sufficiently valuable....

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Why do you want to be facing SSE?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

So, for the joint tank-infantry mounted force (that's Krysmphoenix, Gamerofthegame, and Grumio in the T-34s and duckfoot in the T-70, along with RedLobster's platoon):

This is the general movement I think you should plot for this stage, to take advantage of the screening ridge and to avoid trees.

Please alter the initial line slightly so you do not ram each other twenty seconds on in a well-choreographed clusterfuck. (would a ten-second order delay be appropriate?)

I'd suggest the platoon leader should be on the lead T-34, but that's up to the infantry.

I'll trust you to individually orient your tanks appropriately once approaching DIGLETT.

(I'm not gonna draw lines for you on the reg, don't worry)

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

uPen posted:

First turn is 5 minute right? 5 minutes in a T-70 is a lot of ground.
Start at Q-14, follow outlined route. QUICK speed the entire way. I would like to be facing SSW at the end of the 5 minutes. Remain unbuttoned.

I appreciate your aggression, but I feel like the rest of the tanks will be a sufficient force at DIGLETT, at least in the very short term.

Would you consider amending so that, from BULBASAUR, you move north to carefully approach the railroad cut? Putting a tube and eyes looking down the track ASAP seems valuable. I'd hope simplefish would work with you.

If you get hit by a train, I promise not to tell your wife how you died.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

uPen posted:

Abosolutely. Am I going to be mounting an HMG or other weapon squad? Getting a heavy weapon looking down the tracks by the end of the first orders phase could be useful.

Thanks.

Maybe we can get one of the above 2co HMG teams - can the Maxims tank-ride, actually? Or are they basically very very small AT guns for movement purposes?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

That's great. Hey, Herpicle, can uPen borrow one of your HMG teams for a ride?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Ironically, I was going to do the same wrt to your orders.

I guess I'll actually post something with a map in a bit.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Comstar posted:

2nd SMG Company Machine Gun Team (Maxim HMG) (SUPPORT COMMANDER--Comstar)

While you're here, can I ask you to ride on uPen's tank, as discussed upthread? You'll get to the RR station faster (if you live).

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Orders for 3 Co. HQ, IS-2, дядя ("Uncle")

We will proceed Unbuttoned.

Please deploy thus, and move to OP Abra by these lines (color-coded for speed).

Below is a close-up (thanks, Comrade Asehujiko!) of the final facing and positioning I desire (note that the final approach is to be on MOVE):

Note - members of my company who have not yet posted (or those who want to risk the edit) may wish to explicitly order "MOVE" speed across the ford, to avoid bogging.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Fair enough, but Comstar's here and as far as I can tell, the other 2nd Co HMG team leader (TehKeen) may not be aware he or she is actually in command of anything.

(Someone may wish to issue contingency orders, who this should be is not my problem)

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

dtkozl posted:

This is wrong, you are positioned behind the hill, you want to be ON the hill behind the last little bit of trees pointed more or less at their spawn.

I realize the position but misunderstood your intent. Thought we were keyholing anyone who came to interfere, rather than threatening their area directly. OK, will adjust.

dtkozl posted:

Merry Maurader you need to give the T 70s a bit more direction on where they are going and their purpose for the next few turns.

And this too. But it's the 4th of July and I won't be able to edit until quite late tonight.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

The Merry Marauder posted:

Orders for 3 Co. HQ, IS-2, дядя ("Uncle")

We will proceed Unbuttoned.

Please deploy thus, and move to OP Abra by these lines (color-coded for speed).

Below is a close-up (thanks, Comrade Asehujiko!) of the final facing and positioning I desire (note that the final approach is to be on MOVE):

Hi, Grey Hunter! Here is a slight revision! The approach is the same, so:

But I want to motor boldly up onto the hill, not be secure and mousy next to it! So:

Arrow indicates facing.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

So, by request, a note to all T-70 commanders! That would be uPen, simplefish, and duckfoot.

But not really uPen, since I asked him to do what he is doing and I would look foolish if I instructed him otherwise!

Your role is primarily one of scouting. We must seize positions of (somewhat distant) advantage with alacrity, but not wade into the objective and get stuck into combat. That is what the poor bloody infantry is for! Bear in mind that you are easy meat close in and alone. You should get eyes on the objective and the enemy's approach thereto, but it is not your job to hold it or contest it yourselves, but to help our main force do so with a maximum amount of knowledge, and as a secondary role, harass and disrupt the enemy from a distance.

When the time comes to advance and seize the objective, we will do it in a combined, coordinated fashion!

I'm afraid I must echo dtkozl's concern about that level of specificity, simplefish - I fear it is a sure route to disappointment, given the way this game is being conducted.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

I appreciate the mindset, but I feel like you will be swatted by something, and any intelligence we glean will be brief. If it is a grave risk you are willing to take, however, I will not forbid it or anything of that nature.

If you were to do the same thing once we had some infantry scouts up to help with spotting, it would be a deal safer and less explosive, I think.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

You realize I'm talking to duckfoot there?

Because I'm pretty sure ze Germans can get something smashy into LoS of GRAVELER in five minutes.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Hey, Gamer, that reminds me:

Gamerofthegame posted:

I will huddle/hunt against the building in J10 keypad six, OP Eevee, on the north side staring down to the west.

You mean J6 here, I assume. J10 would be a bad place to be. Also, I wouldn't use keypad notation without explaining it, lest you mislead Grey or the rest of your comrades.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

dtkozl posted:

Also that gun position sucks and you know you can just have both MGs in there, or are you riding it?

One of the HMGs is on uPen's T-70. It'll have LoS down the RR cut, and into the RR station if it moves up a bit.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Willie Tomg posted:

That wouldn't be gamey, that would be a good idea. They've got to be thinking about barraging the known fords on the map at least as hard as we are, maybe more since they really really don't want us reaching that rail station first and want to slow us down as much as possible.

It's gamey because it's a meeting engagement, and having a preplanned bombardment on two random fords is pretty lucky!

I agree it is a good tactical choice.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

dublish posted:

I can't remember if pre-planned barrages have spotting rounds

They shouldn't.

:siren:GREY HUNTER!:siren:

Since the orders deadline is approaching, here is dublish's compilation of all the orders received with links. Hopefully this makes your life easier.

dublish posted:

Current orders, please correct me if I'm wrong.

dtkozl
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3647490&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post431734608

tatankatonk
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3647490&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=6#post431757103

Herpicle Omnicron 5
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3647490&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=6#post431763900

The Merry Marauder
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3647490&pagenumber=8&perpage=40#post431788427

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

This means that Tetrakarn never issued orders to the 1st Co sniper team - I assume tatankatonk will now handle this, either himself or delegating.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

I don't think we want to break off an extra group from their commander, so another squad is right out, I gather.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Yeah, but now you have cause to bigfoot him and take the reins.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Let's save our outrage for a truly heinous error, not something like this.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

The force to DIGLETT got hosed up when the T-34 bogged and the infantry had to unload. Them's the breaks.

If micromanaging the position of the Stalins on the hill is central to victory/their survival, then they should not be there, because it is not going to happen.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

RedLobster posted:

So where are my tank hunters, I don't see them around the rest of my platoon.

Up with the two T-70s in the NE.

(as uPen says, either the wrong thing was loaded, or the wrong T-70 was sent to the NE. We should clarify this)

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Anyway, we have Panzer sightings, a MkIV with infantry at F10, and one Panther @ ~F14.

LoS intel would be handy.

e: I'm pretty sure there was repeated order duplication and contradiction with the 2Co HMGs (in the truck! both in the truck! one in the truck, etc), so I am not even a little surprised that was hosed up.

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 8, 2014

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

tatankatonk posted:

1st Company, we still have to wait for 2 Co. to pass fully before we start fording, so this turn's orders will probably be sitting tight, sorry for the lack of excitement. Also, I read the manual and apparently pre-planned fire missions take 5 minutes? So those falling rounds are probably the Germans gaming the ford :shepface:

It is 100% a pre-planned stonk on your ford. Good luck with that, Comrades!

Perhaps you will have the opportunity to visit the Krysmphoenix memorial brew-up in the L8 ford in some ten minutes' time if any of you survive!

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Obviously not a pre-planned one. Need to go through the call for fire business.

Anyway, the commander was extremely clear that he's not willing to blow a fire mission on spec.

BTW, can we not use the "orders" image until we have a chance to discuss and plan? Let's keep editing and confusion to an absolute minimum.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Not to be tedious, but you can set them to arrive immediately (as dtkozl did with the smoke) or on a 5 or 10 minute delay.

You're still right, it's a fire mission on your ford. I'd be shocked if it was anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

This is some Hitler in the Bunker stuff, Herpicle. You have one squad anywhere near the objective (and a tank hunter team on the E edge of it), the rest of 2nd platoon straggling across the L9 ford, one platoon spread across P6-7, and one in a woodline at P8. You yourself are nowhere near the objective.

I strongly urge you to issue advice/orders better tailored to your individual platoon commanders' needs. "Duck" might be a good idea for 1st platoon, for instance. "RUN!" for 3rd.

Gamerofthegame posted:

We need to shift around some. We have two T-70s overlapping, one can shimmy off to the far west and cover where the current Railroad T-70 is, while that one shifts down to the south to stare at people crossing the ford/southern open. I intend to shake off my SMG team (Me being the T-34 actually in the toy, lazy prats) and hunt a bit to the south to try to kill that tank. As is if we are stuck with a 1v1 tank battle I'm pretty destined to lose, so I'd rather try to get some side hits in this golden moment.

A) Please don't give orders to the T-70s. Especially not ones that dangerous.
B) Absent any blocking terrain, I would assume that MkIV and his buddies can see you fine from F10. Why on earth do you want to engage alone?

• Locked thread