Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Ok I gotta go lay like 300 dollars worth of mulch so we will get to the meat of this in a few hours, but I want to go over the basics of the force and the plan just to get some feedback that I won't follow.

You can see the group will naturally support 3 company commanders; 1 rifle, 1 smg, and 1 tank. The first two will be each assigned one 82mm mortar call in. The third will be in a tank, probably a IS 2 and will be responsible for overall coordinating the tank force with the needs of the infantry force. I will be in charge of the infantry gun call in. Each infantry company commander will be in charge of the two machine gun teams (rifle also organically gets a marksman unit), while the 76mm towed gun will be a goon under that company's command. The t-70s will be the scouts because ba-64s are boring and t-70s are cuter and if you aint down with my kawaii tank policy then :frogout:.

So we will need 3 company commanders, one of whom is comfortable with tanks. The two infantry companies will need 3 platoon leaders and 1 support goon commanding a gun and a truck. The rest will be 3 t-34s, 3 t-70s, and 1 IS-2 who will be semi broken up to support the different axes of attack, etc. Feel free to volunteer for positions, I will try and respect the sheet but I don't care if you suddenly want to move or whatever this is like taking penalty kicks I want confidence man I've been watching too much soccer.

(nb grey I just noticed you forgot the 3 t-34-85s in that list!)

Ok as for the plan part I am going to be pretty conservative. That ridge of trees (and it is a ridge, the area behind it is a depression so we can hit that ford closest to the map edge without being in los of anything) is a no go generally, the cover is too thick to allow vehicles or guns. The marksmen will stay with their commands and the commands with their men so unless I end up with some extra points and I can personally throw a new team up there we will leave it alone.

Plus there will be spies and I don't want to say too much too soon.

You guys and gals that want to theory-craft get some maps out and start playing around with our (and especially their) marching orders and axes of attack and such. I probably won't mortar their fords, that would be mean. Probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Oh we will probably need a picture of the map with some grid markers on it to help with telling grey where you want to go. If someone wants to make that sweet, if we need a better picture of the map I can take one later.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

The Red Army in 1944 was a different beast all together than the one Hitler so easily crushed in 1941. Gone were the pretenses of maneuver warfare or officer initiative. Offensives were intricately planned at the operational level by a veteran group of staff officers and then only the applicable pieces were given to the lower ranks, the minimum needed to achieve their local objectives. This created a system that could be called unwieldy, but it was extremely effective at overcoming whatever obstacle the Wehrmacht throws in its way. Troop were massed on the front lines with densities of around 5 to 10 rifle battalions per kilometer supported by over 200 guns and mortars, and 10 to 20 tanks/assault guns. Forces would first infiltrate the German position and mark fortifications, strong points, etc. followed by a huge artillery barrage over the length of the front. Then infantry and tanks would come in three waves. The first would assault the positions denuded by the artillery and knock out any remaining hard points that withstood the barrage. The second force would then sprint through this area and engage rear echelon forces, exploit breakthroughs, and blunt any counterattacks. Finally the third would move in and secure prisoners, mop up any remaining resistance, and fortify the area. It was so effective that Hitler shot himself.

So there should be some basic tutorials floating around in those old archived threads, I remember making at least one or two. The pictures are probably long gone now so I might have to make some more. I will give you guys some basic tips though on how to interact with your little pixeltruppen.

The secret to doing well in a combat mission game: Never put a squad where you have not previously put a team, never a company where you have not previously a squad, and never a tank where you have not previously put a company. He who fires first generally wins. Remember that always.

Infantry will generally be using 2 commands, Quick and Move. Quick is a brisk jog that will fatigue your soldier but it is the best all around for getting somewhere in a timely fashion. Generally only use Quick for 3 turns (each turn is 1 minute) in a row and try and keep the ratio of Quick and Move 1:1 so they can rest a bit. Tired troops in combat are poo poo, so save the sprinting for when you really need it. Fast command use only when you notice 75mm HE shells landing at your feet, think of it as the "oh, gently caress!" command. Hunt is the command you want to use with your scouts in say a wooded area where you might hit enemy fire at any moment. It is a slow walk where you will stop and return fire upon sighting and enemy. Slow is crawling, it is also very fatiguing. Don't bother with assault.

Tanks want to balance the ability to spot with not getting caught out in the open. You should always be unbuttoned except when your tank commander can be killed with a rifle, so try and stay at least 500 meters away from the enemy. Move and Quick are good, move provides good spotting along with a better chance of not getting bogged down in bad terrain. So if you want to move out of our starting area I'd tell grey to keep on the grass, go Quick, but once you get the soft ground near the river, use a Move command and afterwards you want to sprint between firing positions. A stationary tank will beat a moving tank every single time (except that one time it doesn't and you cry into your pillow that night). Hunt is really useful for fine tuning a position and making sure your poo poo is covered but you can see in front of you to hit what you are shooting at. Don't use anything else.

Here is one I made that we should use for posts that are our actual orders:

So initially I'm thinking we have the Rifle company cover grids 5 down to the river. Those flamethrowers look cool but they are slow so it will take them a while to walk and get stuck in. The SMG company will concern itself with the railway station and that patch of woods initially, with maybe a platoon on the t-34s, that is a good idea and then the t-34s will move back and cover the rest of the smgs as they make their way up. The IS 2s will be on M/N 10 with their flanks covered and looking at the town and those mid-map fords. Maybe we can catch something with their side armor exposed and see if they are trying to rush up there too. Each t70 will aid a company and be the first ones in. Guns and artillery I dunno yet. I think we can get by without smoke, that HE number is the max and using smoke takes away from the total shells we can fire.

dtkozl fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 3, 2014

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
The 82mm mortars have 160 rounds total, 24 can be smoke. The 76mm have 140 HE rounds.

Should be about 8-10 minutes to call it in. On the first turn we can do a preplanned barrage, but I dunno if grey wants to allow these, they can be kind of gamey.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Everything is regular, high motivation, +1 leadership. I wanted to get as much stuff as I reasonably could. We will not be getting ballsy with tanks at all, we will let them get ballsy and then laugh when we brew them up.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
1st Battalion
Headquarters Team (BATTALION COMMANDER--dtkozl) [x]

Infantry Gun Battery (light)
4 x 76mm Infantry Gun (OB-25) (SUBORDINATE TO BATTALION COMMANDER--dtkozl) [x]

1st Rifle Company
Headquarters Team (COMPANY COMMANDER--tatankatonk) [x]
Sniper Team (SUPPORT COMMANDER--Tetrakarn) [x]
1st Platoon (3 squads infantry, 1 sniper team, 1 scout team, 1 flamethrower team) (PLATOON COMMANDER--dublish) [x]
2nd Platoon (3 squads infantry, 1 sniper team, 1 scout team, 1 flamethrower team) (PLATOON COMMANDER--RedFlag) [x]
3rd Platoon (3 squads infantry, 1 sniper team, 1 scout team, 1 flamethrower team) (PLATOON COMMANDER--AceBuckeye13) [x]
Machine Gun section (Maxim M1910) (SUPPORT COMMANDER--Kaisloc) [x]
Machine Gun Team (Maxim HMG) (SUPPORT COMMANDER--Davin Valkri) [x]
Antitank gun Team (76mm Antitank gun) (SUPPORT COMMANDER--Hob Gadling) [x]
Truck (Studebaker) (SUBORDINATE TO SUPPORT COMMANDER)

Mortar Platoon [Medium] (4x82mm Mortars, BM-43) (tatankatonk) [x]

2nd SMG Company
Headquarters Team (COMPANY COMMANDER--Herp Derp) [x]
1st Platoon (3 SMG squads, 1 Tank Hunter team) (PLATOON COMMANDER--brakeless) [x]
2nd Platoon (3 SMG squads, 1 Tank Hunter team) (PLATOON COMMANDER--RedLobster) [x]
3rd Platoon (3 SMG squads, 1 Tank Hunter team) (PLATOON COMMANDER--Willie Tomg) [x]
Machine Gun Team (Maxim HMG) (SUPPORT COMMANDER--
Machine Gun Team (Maxim HMG) (SUPPORT COMMANDER--Comstar) [x]
Antitank gun Team (76mm Antitank gun) (SUPPORT COMMANDER--Jaguars!) [x]

Mortar Platoon [Medium] (4x82mm Mortars, BM-43) (Herp Derp) [x]

3rd Tank Company
HQ Heavy Tank (IS-2 (mid)) (COMPANY COMMANDER--The Merry Marauder) [x]
1st Heavy Tank (IS-2 (mid)) (TANK COMMANDER--Asehujiko) [x]

HQ Tank (T-70M (M1943)) (TANK COMMANDER--uPen) [x]
1st Light Tank (T-70M (M1943)) (TANK COMMANDER--duckfoot) [x]
2nd Light Tank (T-70M (M1943)) (TANK COMMANDER--Simplefish) [x]

HQ Medium Tank (T-34-85) (TANK COMMANDER--Gamerofthegame) [x]
1st Medium Tank (T-34-85) (TANK COMMANDER--Krysmphoenix) [x]
2nd Medium Tank (T-34-85) (TANK COMMANDER--Grumio) [x]

The mortars are off map so no, but if we still got people we can do 5 more support slots, 2 hmgs from 2nd Co and 2 hmgs the one marksman from 1st company. I'll give Kaisloc a HMG because he signed up for it and reported ready and I'll give Davin and Comstar the two HMGs in 2nd Co. Davin Valkri you filled this out you should have given yourself a choice spot!

So that leaves 1 marksman and 1 HMG from 1st Co to be filled.

The x's are there for people who have checked in on this thread. Let me know if you guys I added are cool.

Also if you are unhappy or wish to trade speak up now!

Now as for the ORDERS thing I just wanted to throw that up there now so we can use it later, those are just my first thoughts. Tankatonk pretty much everyone is going over the river that is where the objective is. I might chill near the IS 2s because we get a good view of the lower village from there.

dtkozl fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 3, 2014

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Davin Valkri posted:

Actually, if it's not too much trouble, I don't want to be under Herp Derp. I'll switch to 1st Company's open HMG.

Oh, and Jaguars! said he wanted a T-70 and uPen hasn't expressed a preference. So if you want to switch them, go ahead.

Done.

Jaguars!, uPen, what say you?

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
We will name points of interest on the map after pokemon. This came from Stalin, he is a huge fan.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
You guys can name your poo poo whatever you want. I think grey is going to name the officer in charge after your nick as you can do that in game, but I don't know. I think I got the plan pretty settled I'll wait for a few last sign ups and post some pics with the plan tomorrow probably.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Incoming intelligence. I took a stroll through the beautiful summer weather and snapped a few photos of my holiday. Hopefully all company commanders will enjoy!

http://imgur.com/a/pOHZZ

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
1st Battalion
Headquarters Team (BATTALION COMMANDER--dtkozl) [x]

Infantry Gun Battery (light)
4 x 76mm Infantry Gun (OB-25) (SUBORDINATE TO BATTALION COMMANDER--dtkozl) [x]

1st Rifle Company
Headquarters Team (COMPANY COMMANDER--tatankatonk) [x]
Sniper Team (SUPPORT COMMANDER--Tetrakarn) [x]
1st Platoon (3 squads infantry, 1 sniper team, 1 scout team, 1 flamethrower team) (PLATOON COMMANDER--dublish) [x]
2nd Platoon (3 squads infantry, 1 sniper team, 1 scout team, 1 flamethrower team) (PLATOON COMMANDER--RedFlag) [x]
3rd Platoon (3 squads infantry, 1 sniper team, 1 scout team, 1 flamethrower team) (PLATOON COMMANDER--AceBuckeye13) [x]
Machine Gun section (Maxim M1910) (SUPPORT COMMANDER--Kaisloc) [x]
Machine Gun Team (Maxim HMG) (SUPPORT COMMANDER--Davin Valkri) [x]
Antitank gun Team (76mm Antitank gun) (SUPPORT COMMANDER--Hob Gadling) [x]

Mortar Platoon [Medium] (4x82mm Mortars, BM-43) (tatankatonk) [x]

2nd SMG Company
Headquarters Team (COMPANY COMMANDER--Herp Derp) [x]
1st Platoon (3 SMG squads, 1 Tank Hunter team) (PLATOON COMMANDER--brakeless) [x]
2nd Platoon (3 SMG squads, 1 Tank Hunter team) (PLATOON COMMANDER--RedLobster) [x]
3rd Platoon (3 SMG squads, 1 Tank Hunter team) (PLATOON COMMANDER--Willie Tomg) [x]
Machine Gun Team (Maxim HMG) (SUPPORT COMMANDER--TehKeen) [x]
Machine Gun Team (Maxim HMG) (SUPPORT COMMANDER--Comstar) [x]
Antitank gun Team (76mm Antitank gun) (SUPPORT COMMANDER--Jaguars!) [x]

Mortar Platoon [Medium] (4x82mm Mortars, BM-43) (Herp Derp) [x]

3rd Tank Company
HQ Heavy Tank (IS-2 (mid)) (COMPANY COMMANDER--The Merry Marauder) [x]
1st Heavy Tank (IS-2 (mid)) (TANK COMMANDER--Asehujiko) [x]

HQ Tank (T-70M (M1943)) (TANK COMMANDER--uPen) [x]
1st Light Tank (T-70M (M1943)) (TANK COMMANDER--duckfoot) [x]
2nd Light Tank (T-70M (M1943)) (TANK COMMANDER--Simplefish) [x]

HQ Medium Tank (T-34-85) (TANK COMMANDER--Gamerofthegame) [x]
1st Medium Tank (T-34-85) (TANK COMMANDER--Krysmphoenix) [x]
2nd Medium Tank (T-34-85) (TANK COMMANDER--Grumio) [x]

Finalized list, TehKeen you got a hmg. If anyone didn't get what they wanted or wants to make changes and poo poo get your butt in gear.

Those of you that missed out there will inevitably come a time when someone will drop out and they need a new person so do not despair!

Finalized orders will come later, that drat photo album took me 2 hours.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Damnit yeah I got some of the directions wrong in my text but there is a compass on the pictures, the dark arrow is the one to use so just go by that. We start in the SE corner, the map goes north.

I didn't say the intelligence was good.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Grey what are the wind conditions going to be like?

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
I did indeed email you.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Here are overall orders for the battle. Should I get killed Command will go to Company 3 commander The Merry Marauder followed by Company 1 commander tatankatonk and finally Company 2 commander Herp Derp. This does not reflect any personal feelings in the matter, Company 2's sole focus should be getting those SMG squads into the objective and removing stray Huns. All other companies will assist in this matter.

The Battle Plan will consist of 4 phases:

Phase 1
All troops will ford the river at Ford Pallet in an organized manner save for those that I mention below. The order for those across Pallet will be T 70s, Trucks, SMG Infantry followed by Rifles. Company commanders should make sure their troops do not bunch up at crossings, I don't want to lose half a company to a stray shell.

1 platoon of SMG infantry will board the three T 34-85 and and one T 70 tank (the anti tank team on the T 70) and will proceed to cross at Ford Cerulean ASAP under cover of a smoke mission which I call in from the two off map mortar teams. They will proceed to OP Diglett with all due alacrity and then pull back and cover approaches to allow for the infantry on foot to catch up.

The IS 2s will camp at OP Abra behind the far screen of trees and protect this crossing from any German tanks that might appear. I will be next to the IS 2s and require a flamethrower from 1 Co to help me protect the IS 2s flank from any infantry attacks for as long as they stay there.

Phase 2
First Company will assist Second Company in pushing on the railway. Both companies should use their guns and heavy machine gun teams to protect lanes of advance for the infantry to gain position of the middle of the objective. The T 34s and T 70s will assist the infantry in this mission. Highest priority is on gaining footholds in OP's Graveler, Haunter, and Flygon.

I would recommend here first company splits its platoons into two groups with two platoons south of the rail like and one north in order to aid the SMGs in their objective, but this is down to 1st Co Commander's perogitive.

Phase 3
A general advance will be called and all infantry will sweep west in order to completely secure the rail station and OP Haunter.

Phase 4
Using our superior map position we will then clean out any remaing German forces and proceed in a South Westerly axis of attack in order to sweep the objective totally clean and drive them towards the river. This will secure us victory.

1st Company
You will position your men behind 2nd Company and ford the river at Pallet. Assign one flame thrower to the woods at hex M-11. You have full access to a 82mm call in once it has finished its initial smoke mission.

2nd Company
Assign one platoon to tank duty. They will take OP Diglett and wait for the rest of your troops. The rest shall cross at Pallet and move up to reinforce. You will have full access to a 82mm call in once it has finished its initial smoke mission.

3rd Company
The two IS 2s will provide overwatch at OP Abra at hex M-10. T 34-85s have their orders, and assign one T 70 to aid them. The other two T 70s will aid the rest of the army in securing initial positions and allow those weapons that need time to set up the ability to do so undistirbed. After these tanks have finished their mission you are free to order them to assist the overall objectives as you see fit.

Make sure those IS 2s keep a screen of trees between them and the German spawn, we don't want to venture into the open and give them a free shot at us. Make sure those T 34s move fast across that ford, the smoke will be gone quick, stay in the grass where they move faster and roads once they are in the town.

Greyhunter
I want both 82mm mortar teams to fire a smoke mission from L-10 to L-9, basically wall off the area directly in front of Ford Cerulean with smoke. Smoke, Maximum, Immediately.

I will move my Commander from Q-15 to the woods at M-11. I'd like to be protected from the German spawn but be able to see into the town.

dtkozl fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 4, 2014

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

simplefish posted:

How far on the map can we get in 5 mins?

Will we be calling arty on the German fords?

The tanks should be able to get across in 5 minutes, we just gotta make sure they have a clean line of advance to it and dont get stuck behind other poo poo.

No to arty on the other fords. I don't want to get that gamey on them and it takes 16 minutes to call in so I'd rather wait till I get set up then call it in on where I think they will go.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Company commanders I want you to handle marching orders for your guys and be vocal with other company commanders. There was an idea floated around the thing for the two flamethrowers left to catch a ride on the two t70s crossing at pallet, if that is something you want to do 1st and 3rd commanders need to talk, I dont have to make every little decision, you guys make the orders for your forces.

So just to make it crystal when I say I want t70s to go first followed by trucks and then by the toops, I want you to make sure your platoon commanders say to grey what they say to make that happen, and make sure there is space between them so they dont all roll over in a ball. Guide them where to start, where to go, and there is a thing called the pause command, use that if you need them to go in a certain order.

An example would be "platoon 1, 2, and 3 start at hex R-10 and cross the ford. Platoon one make sure you give no delay, platoon 2 a 30 second delay, and platoon 3 a 60 second delay. Once platoon 1 has crossed the ford take up a defensive posture at hex M-6 and platoon 2 at M-5. Platoon 3 proceed to N-2 and advance until you come under fire to L-2 and await further orders."

That was with company 1 in mind, btw. But don's just use that make sure you give company 2 time to cross before you go. A way to do that would let them start at R-10 and you start further south at say R-12. Or you could give a longer delay, or take a longer course. Your choice! 31 flavors! This is gonna be tough!

dtkozl fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 4, 2014

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Oh! Companies 1 and 2 your trucks can hold your HMGs in them too! Or 1 HMG and YOU. Exciting!

Dublish the Soviet tank hunter teams get an AT grenade that must be within like 20 meters to use.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
tatankatonk not to be rude but you should be explicit in your orders. The truck can hold either two HMGS, 1 HMG and 1 sniper, 1 HMG and you, or 1 sniper and you (plus the AT gun of course), and you should be specific which of these options you want to do and order those specific goons to do it. If we give grey vague orders, well things tend to go bad.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
You guys are fine waiting for the next round of orders to cross as well.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

uPen posted:

Been busy today and haven't been following the thread. Did I end up with the T-70 or the 76mm?

uPen I left you guys with what you originally had because I didn't hear from the other guy, it is between you two to work it out and tell me.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Yeah 1st Co deffo has time for the next round of orders before they have to cross. I just wanted to get those trucks across quick to benefit from the smoke barrage.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Finally the true nature of the company commander is revealed as the most tedious position in the army! *laughs evilly*

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Ok guys I guess I should have done this earlier but we need to have a chat about this terrible bookkeeping.

When you give orders!
You WILL use the orders img here: http://i.imgur.com/QpKqe8y.jpg

You WILL only use it once per game turn.

IF you have change your orders, you WILL quote your orders, with the order image, and make it VERY clear to grey that you are and what you are changing.

Clarification
The SMG squad will start mounted on the T-34 tanks, and their attached AT team will start on a T-70. They will start at the edge of the deployment zone in hex Q-14 and they will use the quick command to cross Cerulean ford. They will do so moving asap in the grass and not stopping. Then they will take the road up to OP Diglett, let the infantry off, and will then receive further orders from their commanding officer.

This first part is the only time I will order you guys specifically (afterwards it will be the company commander) but you will follow orders to the best of your ability.

Trucks I had under the AT Gun commanders but that can change. They will follow orders from their company commanders and will relinquish control of the truck when they are ordered. There are plenty of places in town that are good set up positions, as for it being tight, well this is 1944 brother the 76mm ain't the biggest gun on the battlefield anymore and you might NEED to be close. The trucks will start in hex Q-14, behind the tanks, power over Pallet, and then get in town and disgorge their soft innards. We can talk about spots for the AT guns, but I've already mentioned a few that will give you at least 500 meters of distance in the town to aid the infantry. You need to be there at least a couple minutes before the other guy remember.

Also HMGS and Guns and whatever else are riding in the trucks will start in the truck.

Examples.
So I guess I'll do a who's who of the glorious Red Army Goon Edition Deluxe Set a little later so you guys know who you are, what you have, etc. but for right now let me talk specifically more about orders and formations.

Now I've seen a lot of posts about splitting your squads up and different teams and all that is nice and might come into play later but for right now I want you guys to keep it simple. Russians in this game get a morale penalty when they are split so there is a actual reason outside of laziness to keep your men in their normal formation. For now I just want you guys to get comfortable with who you have, how they move, etc. so no splitting until we are across the river.

THAT SAID:

In one of my original posts I said never put a squad where you have not put a team. Apparently no one read that and none of you realized you have a SCOUT TEAM. THEY GO FIRST. Followed by the other platoons, followed by the HQ. SMG teams don't worry about it until we are across the river, you might not even need them depending on how fast the Germans get to the rail yard.

So now for the actual examples for an order from a T-34

Grey Set me up at the edge of hex Q-14. Move Quick staying in the grass to Ford Cerulean at hex L/M-8 and onto the road, continueing to the crossroads at hex L-6 will I will turn right, enter the wheat field, and stop at the edge of the woods north.

So if you read carefully there was a mistake, this is how I want you to fix it!
[quote

Monocletophat posted:

Grey Set me up at the edge of hex Q-14. Move Quick staying in the grass to Ford Cerulean at hex L/M-8 and onto the road, continueing to the crossroads at hex L-6 will I will turn right, enter the wheat field at hex K-5/6, and stop at the edge of the woods north.

Grey Im altering my orders.
Turn left at the cross roads, not right!

Or you could do this on the map with dots and line, that works too. Just keep a few things in mind:
Be clear!
Do it once and do it right!
Follow orders or I will shoot you!

dtkozl fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 4, 2014

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Asehujiko posted:

Would it be possible for the IS-2's to give infantry a ride from Q14 to P11 before they turn west towards M10 or would the disembarking process slow us down too much?

There is no need it is a long walk to the river and beyond and we are in no rush. Plus the distance you are talking is fairly meaningless.

Company commanders you guys are going to have to keep track of your platoon leader's/support leader's orders. I can't keep track of everything and I don't have a dedicated XO this game. So make sure they are in and they are right. I'll watch you and you watch them.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Why are you going slow in the river? That is the last place you want to be.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Company 2 Headquarters.

All of our assets are going into town with us. I will lead our glorious foot charge to Ford Pallet. Our troops need a good spacing between one another, and if the SMGs can, hop onto the T-34s, they so kindly offered to have us.

The MGs and AT assets will still enter via Ford Pallet. Maxims are in the Studebaker. When any troops are unmounted,move quick. Two SMG group should dismount early at OP Eevee in order to hold the two buildings on the road.

HQ will cross Pallet and hold up in OP Bulbasaur.

If available, smoke cover will go up at Ford Lavender courtesy of our mortar teams.

These are not my orders. SMGs are to take the rail station, the town is the rifles problem. Get your men in the objective and advance onto the train station. Use your MGs and anti tank gun to cover them.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
They can carry 2 mgs and the 76mm actually.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

The Merry Marauder posted:

Orders for 3 Co. HQ, IS-2, дядя ("Uncle")

We will proceed Unbuttoned.

Please deploy thus, and move to OP Abra by these lines (color-coded for speed).

Below is a close-up (thanks, Comrade Asehujiko!) of the final facing and positioning I desire (note that the final approach is to be on MOVE):

Note - members of my company who have not yet posted (or those who want to risk the edit) may wish to explicitly order "MOVE" speed across the ford, to avoid bogging.

This is wrong, you are positioned behind the hill, you want to be ON the hill behind the last little bit of trees pointed more or less at their spawn.

here

dtkozl fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 5, 2014

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
I like how you are worried about bogging but want to use a Fast command when moving through a river bed.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Just use the quick command for all of it, forget the target arc, and save grey the headache. You guys are getting way too cute here, there is little danger of any enemy fire all you need to do is get across the river, quickly, without bunching up. Some of you need to organize transports, that is it. I will worry about germans, about artillery, about bogging, and everything else.

Because this side of the river is useless. Everyone outside of the IS 2s and T 34s are out of range even if they can see the Germans. We just need to get into a position so we can begin a common advance through the objective.

Merry Maurader you need to give the T 70s a bit more direction on where they are going and their purpose for the next few turns.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
And that is fair but there are unintended consequences here since it isn't you doing all this stuff. There are two points where you have a slight chance at seeing an enemy, that is for a few seconds as you cross Pallet, where your arc might work and it might not, that is close to where they might be but it isn't 100%. If you were controlling things you could look yourself and fix it. Grey will not. The other is at the Railway. At that point your arc has your turret pointed at the soviet starting position so even if you see an enemy, which is doubtful since your one guy is looking away, you will never fire at them because your turret is locked in on your own army. Now this is easy to fix if you were playing this game, but Grey has more to worry about and either he or you might forget about the arc, or you might get up there before the 5 minutes is up and you die before you can change your orders. The nature of the system means everything is gonna be fuzzy and the worst thing you can do is make things more complicated than they need to be.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

simplefish posted:

You're right, I did intend to cancel the arc before the end of the turn, but I forgot to put it in the orders.

I think I have a little more faith in Grey about forgetting things. It's why I made my written orders the priority, since it's a checklist he can just go down.

Also I thought the target arc was kept no matter how the tank moved (i.e. from West to South regardless of the tank's orientation)

It will be but by that time we will be there and the enemy will be west and even perhaps north of your position.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
You guys in the t-70s you can spot the same whether you are 5 meters from the target or 500 meters from the target so long as you have a clear line of sight, just keep that in mind.

If you look at the photos duckfoot you are not going to see much, those trees are on a hill and if you follow the light green ring around those trees (OP Haunter) you can see from the overhead map you are just staring at a slope leading up to the edge of a forest and not much else. Probably isn't reason for you to change your orders at the moment as won't get there in 5 minutes anyway.

Also you need to have a stop order at Diglett to allow your passengers get off.

Everyone our main effort is going towards supporting the SMG company take the rail yard, so always keep the question "will this directly help a SMG platoon?" forefront on your mind.

dtkozl fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 5, 2014

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Just going to outline the greater strategy for seizing the rail station:

The troops who are dropped off by the tanks will prepare for a direct assault from the south-east of the station. The foot group will circle around via OP Charmander to OP Haunter. This will be the basis of the next round of orders. I don't want to move in until the support is in position, such as the HMGs or the AT gun. I dont want to suddenly lose every man I have thanks to an unprepared assault, as I do so often on my own.

Herp no, the force at diglett will wait for the rest to arrive and the other two platoons will come through the objective. A rifle platoon will be at Charmander to give you support.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Are you sure about this? I don't want my troops to all get slaughtered by a single Kraut MG nest.

Yeah well your way is the quickest way to do that. Just look at the map and pictures. Bulbasar, around the rail line, up to Diglett is all close terrain with forests and hills with tons of ways to block exposure. Charmander to Haunter is one giant flat field over looked by a forest that the Germans can get a halftrack with 2 mgs to faster than we can. If they put anything in there it will end up looking like a WW1 biopic, just men charging over open fields into machinegun fire.

This is why the plan is like it is. You will take the rail station once you get everything formed up, THEN you help that northern most rifle squad take haunter because you can use the rail station as a jumping off point to clear those woods and there is nothing smgs are better at than clearing woods. This doesn't mean you need to attack move in one giant ball, but we can talk about that later. Just get them formed up in the objective zone and start them west towards the rail yard for now.

Also that gun position sucks and you know you can just have both MGs in there, or are you riding it?

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Where the truck stops is the downwards slope of a hill and has to move the edge of those fields, which is around 200 meters away, to see anything. That is a really long way to walk a gun, those things are SLOW. If you do want to stop at the edge of those fields, the only decent spot is OP Charmander because there are some trees in that hedgerow. That is primarily why I marked that spot.

We have two guns and I dunno where Herp is moving his, but if you want to cover the north and the railyard, I'd put one at charmander and one at N-4 where the road goes over the rail line. There is a bit of woods there to offer a tiny bit of concealment, you control los all the way down the line, and it is easy/quick to drive to.

I took pictures of both spots, and did so for that reason, take a look at them.

The guns and HMGs are under your command so ultimately you should try and stay near them and your platoons as much as possible, since they benefit from your command chain. This is impossible I realize, but you should try and make the best compromise possible.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

We'll organise the rest next order phase. I have no clue as to where our units will be, where we can expect the krauts to be and where the flashpoints will be. I'm going to seize the objective, but I will do it cautiously. My company, my rules.

Herp's Renegades do things their way, for them. Dtkozl, my guys WILL get there. Leave the micromanagement to the Company and Platoon level officers.

I understand but with all due respect my job is the overall tactical situation and your plan was unacceptable from that standpoint. You are obviously ignorant of the other companies orders and I am just trying to address that, because I will not have people bunching up out in an exposed position. Furthermore I have the game and I can see when a proposed gun position is completely incapable of supporting the larger group due to line of sight issues. These are hard to suss out right now when all most people have is a top-down map with no indications of scale and few of elevation. Once grey starts the thing and makes videos and people can get a feel of their own for the map I will lay off the throttle but for now all I am trying to do is dispel any fuzziness people might have about our side's eventual deployment and the subtleties of the map.

You will be allowed to die in a manner of your own choosing, but I will pick the ground.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
That is why I am trying to get you guys to make sure you don't bunch up and only one platoon crosses at a time, so if it does happen we only lose a little bit. Those tanks won't be bothered by a little shelling and will get over in a flash so it is only the infantry we need to worry about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
The whole arty thing is always going to be a gamble. I am not not artying their one safe crossing because I am kind at heart, but because we are going to be using the mortars already for smoke and the other mission takes 16 minutes or so to call in and I want that one started as soon as I get to those woods. The thing is for us to effectively arty their ford I would have to use a relatively long mission, something over the course of 10 minutes or so of sporadic fire. So we are talking 26 minutes then to use it again. The cost of your average mission at this level is 100 to 250 points. To put that in perspective a platoon of soldiers is generally around 150 points; our rifle platoons with extras was 211, and the smgs were 159. A mortar call in was 143. So for those points to be "worth it," we would have to kill one platoon with one call in. Obviously there is all types of fuzzy math you can do, but generally I am of the opinion where I'd rather be shooting at something I can see rather than getting cute with something I suspect.

Now this goes into the artillery system of the game a bit deeper, there are two types of missions, pre-planned and normal. Pre-planned mission are those set up during setup and can come in immediately, after 5 minutes, or after 10 minutes. They are 100% on target, however they cannot be adjusted. Our smoke will be pre-planned. The benefit I get with waiting on those 76mm gun call in is the ability to adjust the mission at any time to deal with the changing battle situation. That way at least I know I will be doing some damage. It also does one other thing; I prefer to keep the initiative in a battle and therefore want him to react to my actions rather than the other way around. That is why I hope to have that mission ready to disrupt any build up of forces against our forces assaulting the train yard. Since there is only a few good spots of cover he can use, the target should be relatively easy to guess. We will see how it all shakes out!

Anyway, just wanted to give you guys an idea of my thought process on the matter, nothing more.

• Locked thread