Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smeego
Sep 9, 2001

japan sucks

Manifest posted:

poo poo, and his show is cancelled?
This sounds like the kind of dude I want to watch.
he used to make really terrible and corny jokes on man vs. food. now I wish he was a GBS mod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Smeego posted:

he used to make really terrible and corny jokes on man vs. food. now I wish he was a GBS mod

He handled it very well, and is deserving of a blue star :patriot:

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.

Manifest posted:

poo poo, and his show is cancelled?
This sounds like the kind of dude I want to watch.

i hope the upshot of all this is that he gets a new show where he just gets into fights with people on the internet and lays sick burns down

they could do all the filming before announcing the show, so it just looks like he's having a loving public meltdown, then record all that poo poo going down itll get 2x the viewers man vs food ever did

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've hosed a couple Ambers and a couple Sarahs. I don't think if you combined them all you would have one Amber Sarah.

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!
kinda sucks that he lost his show AND apologised, shoulda been one or the other

if you're going to lose your show anyway, double-down on the "fat oval office" thing

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I want to send him a fruit basket and her a basket of pig blood. I'll need addresses.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

man vs food was a really dumb goony show

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Food is not the enemy.

Last night at work I was casually reading the label of the Dannon Light and Fit yogurt I was eating. Ordinarily not my particular choice of yogurt, but it’s the brand that my hospital just happens to get for our patients.

I’m guilty of reading nutrition labels of products not because it really affects whether I’ll eat it, but just with the casual interest of someone who reads the back of a cereal box while eating breakfast, or the back of a shampoo bottle while in the shower. Just for the sheer reason of having something to do.

As I’m reading, I stumble over the warning I’ve seen so many times:

Phenylketonurics: contains phenylalanine.

It made me think.

Our culture has demonized the things that naturally come in food. Calories, fat, protein, carbs, sugars, sodium. There are products that are specifically made to be zero calorie. Does it make anyone else wonder? If you’re eating something that’s zero calorie/zero fat/zero whatever else–if it’s not calories you’re ingesting. . .what exactly is it?

We have demonized the things that we need for our bodies.

Calories are not evil. Calories, in their most simple definition, are energy. You NEED energy to get through your day.

Fat is not evil. You need fat in your diet for brain development, to absorb nutrients, to cover your organs.

Carbs are not evil. You NEED carbs in your diet for fuel.

Sodium is not evil. Having too little sodium in your body can kill you.

Far be it from me to police what anyone puts in their bodies, but the fact that things that are literally necessary for basic human functions are looked down upon in so many ads, so many products, it really rubs me the wrong way. Especially how so many of the products are labeled as ‘guilt free.’ (Likewise, when something is ‘bad’ for you, it’s often described as ‘sinful’ or ‘decadent’.) You shouldn’t feel guilty for putting food in your mouth. Ever, ever, ever.

And hell, things that are made with real, legitimate ingredients instead of chemicals and aspartame just taste better. And having food that tastes good is also something that should never make you feel like you’re being ‘sinful’ or ‘decadent’.

I don’t want a 60 calorie yogurt. When I’m at work and I grab a snack, I grab it because I’m running around all night and I need energy to be alert and effective. The difference between a 60 calorie ‘light and fit’ yogurt and the 100 calories it would be normally, it doesn’t really make a difference in the grand scheme of things.

But really, I’m more concerned about what we’re replacing these things our body needs with. Phenylalanine? Okay, so it’s an essential amino acid, but to replace other things with it is so unnecessary. In fact, according to wikipedia, large quantaties of phenylalanine interferes with the production of serotonin, a chemical that allows you to feel happy. So in a twist of fate, consuming too much phenylalanine actually harms your well being!

The things that we replace our calories, carbs, sodium with ends up being more harmful than what they’re cutting out.

The things that are naturally in food are not the enemy.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

supa dupa king koopa fupa

mods please

Hayburner
Jan 29, 2005

hi

Three Olives posted:

Food is not the enemy.

Last night at work I was casually reading the label of the Dannon Light and Fit yogurt I was eating. Ordinarily not my particular choice of yogurt, but it’s the brand that my hospital just happens to get for our patients.

I’m guilty of reading nutrition labels of products not because it really affects whether I’ll eat it, but just with the casual interest of someone who reads the back of a cereal box while eating breakfast, or the back of a shampoo bottle while in the shower. Just for the sheer reason of having something to do.

As I’m reading, I stumble over the warning I’ve seen so many times:

Phenylketonurics: contains phenylalanine.

It made me think.

Our culture has demonized the things that naturally come in food. Calories, fat, protein, carbs, sugars, sodium. There are products that are specifically made to be zero calorie. Does it make anyone else wonder? If you’re eating something that’s zero calorie/zero fat/zero whatever else–if it’s not calories you’re ingesting. . .what exactly is it?

We have demonized the things that we need for our bodies.

Calories are not evil. Calories, in their most simple definition, are energy. You NEED energy to get through your day.

Fat is not evil. You need fat in your diet for brain development, to absorb nutrients, to cover your organs.

Carbs are not evil. You NEED carbs in your diet for fuel.

Sodium is not evil. Having too little sodium in your body can kill you.

Far be it from me to police what anyone puts in their bodies, but the fact that things that are literally necessary for basic human functions are looked down upon in so many ads, so many products, it really rubs me the wrong way. Especially how so many of the products are labeled as ‘guilt free.’ (Likewise, when something is ‘bad’ for you, it’s often described as ‘sinful’ or ‘decadent’.) You shouldn’t feel guilty for putting food in your mouth. Ever, ever, ever.

And hell, things that are made with real, legitimate ingredients instead of chemicals and aspartame just taste better. And having food that tastes good is also something that should never make you feel like you’re being ‘sinful’ or ‘decadent’.

I don’t want a 60 calorie yogurt. When I’m at work and I grab a snack, I grab it because I’m running around all night and I need energy to be alert and effective. The difference between a 60 calorie ‘light and fit’ yogurt and the 100 calories it would be normally, it doesn’t really make a difference in the grand scheme of things.

But really, I’m more concerned about what we’re replacing these things our body needs with. Phenylalanine? Okay, so it’s an essential amino acid, but to replace other things with it is so unnecessary. In fact, according to wikipedia, large quantaties of phenylalanine interferes with the production of serotonin, a chemical that allows you to feel happy. So in a twist of fate, consuming too much phenylalanine actually harms your well being!

The things that we replace our calories, carbs, sodium with ends up being more harmful than what they’re cutting out.

The things that are naturally in food are not the enemy.

she's the martin luther king of fats

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Listen I don't care what the food label says and eating 60 vs 100 calories for a snack doesn't really matter either WHY ARE YOU JUDGING ME WITH YOUR UNREALISTIC BODY STANDARDS CALORIES AREN'T BAD I NEED ENERGY?!

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo

Hayburner posted:

she's the martin luther king of fats

Except she's slowly assassinating herself

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Why am I always so tired I spend all day putting energy in my amorphous body????

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Waltzing Along posted:

if you could find it. might just be a roll or two. you never know

So? A roll gently caress is just as good (if not better) than a tit gently caress.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD

Wowbagger2004 posted:

Except she's slowly assassinating herself

lmao

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics
I wonder if she knows how great it feels to be a healthy weight or if being obese is all she knows

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
Poor impulse control.

It applies to both shoving food in your craw and browbeating people in website comments. Who could've imagined the parallel!

I bet she sucks at managing her money too.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cucking Mama posted:

I wonder if she knows how great it feels to be a healthy weight or if being obese is all she knows

lol

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

MeLKoR posted:

So? A roll gently caress is just as good (if not better) than a tit gently caress.

spoken like a true virgin trying to impress his friend

RAGE HOLE
Jun 7, 2006

Stendhal Stockholm
They are both clearly assholes. But all you folks saying society needs to express disgust at fat people to encourage them to get fit are wrong (and also assholes). I've never been fat but I've been out of shape and it feels like garbage. People naturally don't want to feel that way. But people can only muster the effort to get in shape if they feel good enough about themselves to try.

There are plenty of studies showing fat acceptance is actually way better for weight loss than fat shaming. And of course it is easier to exercise when you feel optimistic than when you are depressed.

If you want to be an rear end in a top hat, you're going to be an rear end in a top hat. But don't pretend you are doing anybody a great service by it.

RAGE HOLE fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 2, 2014

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

xov posted:

Poor impulse control.

It applies to both shoving food in your craw and browbeating people in website comments. Who could've imagined the parallel!

he's the one who lost his TV career because he got mad and couldn't resist laying down some sick burns tho

sounds like poor impulse control to me

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Fat acceptance has this kind of uncomfortable overlap with revolutionary leftists, which is weird to me because in a sense there's more imperialism in your lower abdomen than there is in all the improper pronouns in the world.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
woah I didnt know it was the man vs food guy. Double kill that fat loving hog and nuke whatever city she lives in

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I really dislike these fat pride women. It's okay that they tell young girls that they don't need to be super skinny like every woman they see in magazines and TV, but it's not okay to tell them it's okay to be 300 loving pounds.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I can’t afford lots of new clothes all the time. Or even some of the time. Nor should I have to! I’m sorry, have you seen this economy? I can’t afford $50 Lane Bryant bras, $100 Domino Dollhouse dresses, $30 for a pair of leggings.

and even if I could, most of the clothes that all the fatshion bloggers go gaga over aren’t available to me at a size 32+. (hint: if your company claims to offer stylish options for fat women, but ends at a size 24/26, you’re not trying hard enough.) I don’t have a nice camera to make OOTD blog posts. I never look put together.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Photex posted:

I really dislike these fat pride women. It's okay that they tell young girls that they don't need to be super skinny like every woman they see in magazines and TV, but it's not okay to tell them it's okay to be 300 loving pounds.

one hundred percent agreed

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Waltzing Along posted:

spoken like a true virgin trying to impress his friend

Fatties need loving too and those rolls are not going to gently caress themselves.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

RAGE HOLE posted:

They are both clearly assholes. But all you folks saying society needs to express disgust at fat people to encourage them to get fit are wrong (and also assholes). I've never been fat but I've been out of shape and it feels like garbage. People naturally don't want to feel that way. But people can only muster the effort to get in shape if they feel good enough about themselves to try.

There are plenty of studies showing fat acceptance is actually way better for weight loss than fat shaming. And of course it is easier to exercise when you feel optimistic than when you are depressed.

If you want to be an rear end in a top hat, you're going to be an rear end in a top hat. But don't pretend you are doing anybody a great service by it.

except this fat oval office will never really attempt to lose a pound because no one wants to hear about fat pride from a skinny white woman.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Adam Richman goes to my store in brooklyn when he's home and shopping for poo poo, dude is legit cool as gently caress, Incredibly nice. so gently caress fat people who try to make being fat a good thing.

There's nothing good about being fat

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

TontoCorazon posted:

Adam Richman goes to my store in brooklyn when he's home and shopping for poo poo, dude is legit cool as gently caress, Incredibly nice. so gently caress fat people who try to make being fat a good thing.

give him a high five for me

Smeego
Sep 9, 2001

japan sucks

TontoCorazon posted:

inform him this thread is a safe place

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.

RAGE HOLE posted:

same

e: wait no i meant to say "lol you are fat"

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

RAGE HOLE posted:

How many pounds "out of shape" are you?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cthulu Carl posted:

How many pounds "out of shape" are you?

negative 20

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Three Olives posted:

BMI is completely invalid I'm as healthy as any thin person with your unrealistic ~standards of beauty~, when you really think about it I'm probably even healthier than them.

If someone pushed her over I wonder how long it would take for her to stand up.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

RAGE HOLE posted:

She says she is happy being fat except she never looks put together and she can't afford plus size clothing and the plus sizes always stop 6 loving sizes below her size but she doesn't think the calorie count printed on loving container matters and she doesn't want almost half the calories anyways because she needs the energy.

She should feel bad about herself.

RAGE HOLE
Jun 7, 2006

Stendhal Stockholm

Photex posted:

except this fat oval office will never really attempt to lose a pound because no one wants to hear about fat pride from a skinny white woman.

That's her choice and it looks like she's ensured a lovely life for herself by seeking out offense and calling upon her army of followers to start flame wars on people who get short with her. I'm not concerned about how she feels about herself and there's nobody alive who wants to look like her. But to normal people who don't make their living off of being contentious and starting fights, it's instinctual to know that it would be nice to be able to stand up and walk around without carrying an extra 100 lbs on your body.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

This is great news to me, because now both sides on this heated debate can claim to have received "death threats" on the internet, which are something to be taken very seriously.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
we discussed it in the fat shaming thread

gently caress that stupid fat oval office

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

boom boom boom posted:

If someone pushed her over I wonder how long it would take for her to stand up.

lol

• Locked thread