Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.
Did we make a new thread to escape the Necco shaming for not knowing cache spam spots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coleman
May 5, 2011

YEAH, third place, what do I win?

Coleman
May 5, 2011

kcer posted:

Would you like to play wow with me?

fe: sorry necco this thread isn't even a page old and I'm making GBS threads it up :v:
kcer is currently playing CS:GO, don't let him fool you.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

paperchaseguy posted:

Any advice on adapting to a new mouse? I had an old crappy mouse that died, now a wireless logitech. And I can't aim with it for poo poo.

Also the new operation maps suck.
Just deathmatch, really that simple. Just force yourself to adjust at the fastest rate possible.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

Smol posted:

Word on the street is that Cobblestone and Overpass will be played at ESL One Cologne. :v:
Is this the word on the street as in someone is spreading that rumor because of NBKs comment that he'll retire if that happens?

Personal opinions on cbble and Overpass not withstanding, neither of them are ready for competitive play at that level.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

If you wanna play Goonmans, great! If you wanna pick only your friends that joined with you, great!

But just because you're getting beat, don't just skip out on the game just for that reason.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

AugmentedVision posted:

No, I meant "do X, get Y reward. Good lab rat".
Uh, okay, why is this bad? You don't win anything that changes gameplay, it gives people something to do, something to "focus on". If you don't want to do them, you don't have to. Why is that so bad? There's PLENTY of bad trends in FPSes that CS could have picked up on, I don't think this is one of them.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

Wezlar posted:

Yeah I played one yesterday before I had to ditch and I was awful. But it was a really good time, everyone was really helpful and we had a chance to win, probably would have if I had played any better. I'm looking forward to playing more and getting better!
You guys that have only played a game or two should post the name you play in game with so (the regulars) can know who you guys are, that way if there's something more constructive to elaborate on we/they can match name to tag.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

mcvey posted:

I haven't seen these posted in awhile but it's good knowledge:

Know those shots you swear you hit? You were sure that AWP shot was on point? Must have been the server?! Nah just the shitboxes.

e: looks like those are from a few patches ago and the head hitboxes have been re-worked, does anyone have the newer ones?
Still better than Source and hitboxes that registered hits even when it wasn't on the model at all!

Coleman
May 5, 2011

Powerful Wizard IRL posted:

Today we are announcing a change to our Counter-Strike: Global Offensive roster. The squad has decided to release Todd "Anger" Williams.

-anger
-sgares
+face
+dboorn
face? That kid doesn't even play CS anymore. He's some MOBA nerd.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

Smol posted:

It's shroud.

Edit: Also, you talking about the Swedish face (played for SK etc.) or someone else?
This guy right here.

I'm pretty sure shroud hasn't been officially announced yet, and Powerful Wizard IRL is face.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

Vahakyla posted:

Randomly selecting a community map from a pool of hundreds would also nice, ensuring that no team has practiced for it.
I'm honestly confused as to why this is something people wanna see. Open up CS, hit the Watch Tab, select a random game on a map you wanna see, there you go. You're watching an uncoordinated mess. Why would you tune into a pro game to watch them not know what they're doing? If you're a fan of normal sports, would you also like to see a group of pro NFL players playing in Game 7 of the World Series?

Coleman
May 5, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

Isn't arms race the same thing but 5 min instead of ten?
Theoretically speaking, Arms Race is shorter, but not always. Arms race is timed, but it ends if someone wins, so it could be 5 minutes, but if it was really even (or everyone was bad) it could be 20+ minutes too. Deathmatch is a guaranteed 10 minutes.

Coleman fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 13, 2014

Coleman
May 5, 2011

bpower posted:

How high is the skill ceiling in this game? Is he that much better than the other team or was he just having a good day and they weren't? Are there pros who could consistently destroy other pros in the same way a GE would always destroy someone 5 or 6 ranks below them?
Hellraisers is a top tier CS:GO team, EPSILON is a top tier CS:GO team, markeloff and Dosia are two of the top maybe 20 or so players in CS right now.

shoxie, unfortunately, is (probably) number 2. And when he's on, there's only a very small handful of players that can stop him.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

mcvey posted:

If the good goons played MM instead of goonmanning its usually SMFC~.
Um, I'm a global master elite 3, thanks.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

hello internet posted:

I've hopped into lobbies with high ranks with poo poo maps selected a couple times.

Also this ^^^^^
Out of curiousity, who were they, and which maps were being played? The three Goons I know that are consistently at the top 3 levels are Slime, kcer, and Hoods, and whenever I'm playing with them theres almost never anything other than the standard maps or the occasional gimmick map, and it's not usually with the purpose of stomping, it's with the purpose of "something different".

Coleman
May 5, 2011

BadLlama posted:

I played the new cobblestone for the first time this weekend and I don't understand the hate for it. It is 1000% better than how it was in 1.6.
1000% better than something that was "0" on the good scale, is still 0 on the good scale.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

Vahakyla posted:

I refuse to believe that anyone here is improving their play with this.

If we have two world champions in CS, they might feel the need to ooze that last drop of diffence with these.

Other than that, I'd hit the MM with all the time you are screwing around with settings.
It's also a psychological/placebo effect which can't be understated. "I think I will do better with this" therefore I will do better with this. If digital vibrance, a 400 dollar headset, or the specific way you sit in your chair so your Cheetos don't fall out of your lap makes you play better, then who the gently caress cares.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

So, as of today, I have bought 83 keys for CS:GO, totaling $206.67.

Today is the day I make my money back.

(factory new, also)

Coleman
May 5, 2011

The Joe Man posted:

Being the only one on the market, factory new, and stat-track, this is "worth" like multiple thousands of dollars, right?

Jesus christ, congrats.
It's not StatTrak. I have a buddy that says it's probably going to fetch about 5-600 dollars.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

Wezlar posted:

Don't get scammed.
Don't worry guys, this money is headed straight for my tricycle, here's a picture;

There's no way this can go wrong.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

I didn't want you guys to all worry, so I figured I'd share the results.

Here's what I got for it:

The market only says 5 cents, but it's cool, because the Russian that traded me for it said it's worth "at least 1000 of your moneys".

So basically, enjoy your CS poverty, nerds. I'm CS rich now.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

Fat Lou posted:

It is a Doritos bag and not a bag *of* Doritos. :colbert:

I HAVE NOT LIED AND WILL OFFER YOU THE BEST OF PRICES FOR YOUR DIGITAL GOODS!
Yeah, but are they REAL Aviators?

Coleman
May 5, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

Is there a move speed increase I'm not aware of to running forward over running backwards/strafing? I constantly see in high level streams that players are turning completely away from corners ETC that they're posted on in order to reposition and then put their crosshairs back where they should be. Is this just bad habit?
It's two fold: it's to avoid incoming flashbangs (no pro team is going to enter a site without smokes and flashes unless it's an eco, and even sometimes not then), so they have the benefit of already being covered from a flash they don't see or hear.

The second reason is when they're doing that, they're usually in a "blind" corner and they're trying not to be seen. Hiding backwards means they can still have their rifle out, without it poking out of a corner/through a wall.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

I do but I'm not playing professionally and these people are like turning around and like moving a couple inches and spamming q and then turning back around.
Oh, I thought you were referring to something different.

But yeah, we actually went over this several pages back (or in a previous thread, possibly?) but it's just something a lot of CS players do. When they're rotating or no ones around, they do it to keep their fingers loose/warm, in between kills and stuff however, some players just have a bad habit of doing it at the wrong times, yeah. f0rest was actually talking on Stream once about how he's done it since 1.6 and it's actually gotten him killed in big moments. It's just a really hard habit to break.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

That's actually the fnatic lineup that really got me into following competitive CS.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

Spudd posted:

True, but I like the clusterfuck that is 10v10 of Inferno, poo poo's too intense as a 5v5. :ohdear:
Honest not sarcastic question: how many 5v5s have you done? For a long time in early CS I preferred pubbing, I thought the chaos and the randomness was a lot of fun. But once I really got into playing matches it becomes hard to stop. There's sitll a surprising amount of chaos, especially in pugs and mixes, and then when you get used to that format and start playing with a team, the order that comes out of the chaos is pretty awesome.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

Spudd posted:

I haven't done any since 1.6 and when I was about 12 years old? It's hard to recall when the last time I did. I've only really played CS as a casual pub stomping thing or joined a few mates to do Surf maps or pool party gun games. :v:
Well then I'd second what Astro said, try competitive. Whether it's matchmaking or Goonmans, you should really give it a go. Goonmans are a pretty decent (at times) environment for people that like matches and want the structured yet chaotic nature of pugs, but don't really like "random" people or don't wanna play with assholes (even though a lot of us are assholes.)

Give it an honest shot, you might surprise yourself with how fun it is.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

feedtheid posted:

After I get ranked into bad silver tonight I'm gonna hop into chat and queue with other bad people or people who are willing to tolerate bad people
You're looking for the names, "Hoods" "Ephedra" and "mcvey", they're three of the worst players on the server, and are all extremely tolerant of bad players, but really nice guys overall. I strongly recommend playing with them for the best silver experience.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

mcvey posted:

I'm gonna make that flashbang video and yuo guys are gonna be so owned by 4 hours of just breathtaking throws.
Title the video on YouTube "CS:GO - mcvey shows you how to master flashing your team mates"

Coleman
May 5, 2011

Smol posted:

Mcvey playing with goons that don't know how to do a 180?

mcvey is so good at team flashing, he'd be able to blind a guy playing without a computer monitor. Don't underestimate him.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

Ephedra posted:

Just let me just say I was 100% blind. (Not even Mcvey can stop me.)(jk I'm trash.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNZIJMCoEYg

E: It really didn't need the replay.

Ephedra: "Cole I just hit a 180 turn around full blind shot on a dude."
Ephedra: "Okay after watching the replay it was more like 60 degrees."

It's closer to 5 degrees. I mean realistically, you didn't even turn at all.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

Ephedra posted:

Carl, come home pumpkin...
I dunno about the rest of you low levels, but Carl and I still regularly stomp pubbies.

It's just in TF2 now. :smug:

Coleman
May 5, 2011

harrygomm posted:

Thats the second time someone has tried to knife a defuser in the smoke. I think it was f0rest a couple tournaments ago? Why bother with a full clip and knowing where you planted it?
It was get_right last time, and in his defense, not only was he out of ammo, but they showed the replay, and he WAS knifing the guy, and they just didn't register. Those twisted defuse hitboxes.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

bpower posted:

Does it ever get blatant, like "look out he's behind you"?
I'm sure people have tried, but there's a lot for a player to focus on in a game. Game sounds, instructions from the IGL, voice comms in general. Then you have the factor of not knowing if someone screaming at you is actually trying to feed you information, or is trying to feed you disinformation. So even if a player CAN hear a fan try to do something like that, and can even "acknowledge" what the person said, it's probably in their best interest to just tune it out and focus on the game.

Hearing the casters, however, is another problem entirely, as that information is *going* to be accurate. Tourney organizers need to do a better job of sealing off the announcers, and broadcasting to fans in such a way as to make sure players can't hear it.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

I AM BRAWW posted:

Don't casters have a slight delay from the actual match? Either way, it's like when a pubbie is trying to give you information after he died. It just ends up with you telling them to shut up cause you're trying to focus your inner bushido/chi/vibes and you slowly close your eyes and rely on the sound of footsteps.
It really depends on the situation. When the casters are actually at the event (for the big tournaments and what not), the casters are usually live because they're also being pumped into the audience for them to listen to while they watch on the big screens live. I mean they could still run it with a 5-10 second delay just as a little safety buffer, but that information could still be used. "Looks like NiP is heading towards B while Get_right distracts at A", that information is still going to be valid in 10 seconds.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

bpower posted:

Describe it. Do you throw on it the run?
The throws been around for a while. If you know the throw as Terrorist when you're taking long that smokes the CT cross, this smoke is pretty much the direct counter. To the left of Long A (as a CT) there's a building with (I believe) 9 windows, if you do a running jump throw off that building, you can get the smoke to land right in front of double doors. It's very handy, but jump throws are hard to do consistently.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

Xenaero posted:

I wish there was some queue countermeasure against unrankeds. Getting stuck in a flat out unwinnable game cause of one or two guys is miserable.
Unless you're smurfing, at your rank there should be almost no way to get matched against actual unrankeds. Not everyone with an invisible rank is actually unranked, other than your first (maybe 1-3) games, you always have a rank, it just doesn't show until your 10th win.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

ESL started a fantasy league system. And coming soon the ability to create a custom (private?) league. I'm totally jumping in a public league now, and as soon as I can make a custom one, I'll be doing that.

https://fantasy.eslgaming.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coleman
May 5, 2011

Powerful Wizard IRL posted:

Dibs on Olof, dazed, rain/device, fxy0/Kenny/guardian, shox/face
For my public team:

f0rest, KennyS, Fifflaren (low risk pick!), Fetish, Karigan

They give you $5500 to spend, and everyone has a value (assuming by how much people pick them), so you can't just go all nuts like.

Could be kind of cool for a GO:ON league, especially if they let you do it as a draft instead of as an auction/buy league.

• Locked thread