Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
"ehhh! ehhh! my precious ears! this is really problematic!"

be a goddamn man, you liberal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ball Cupper
Sep 10, 2011

~beautiful in my own way~
"Ow my freakin' ears" - a limp-wristed cardigan-wearing motherfucker

Ghostsauce
Jun 4, 2005

scared you didnt i lmbo
Actually there has been a 30% increase in hearing impairment among kids since 1988, let's not joke about a serious issue here.

MY BF LESLIE SAID
Jun 9, 2006

by Lowtax
i've never seen anyone doing this which leads me to believe its made up. gently caress you.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Ghostsauce posted:

Actually there has been a 30% increase in hearing impairment among kids since 1988, let's not joke about a serious issue here.

those kids are liberals and should be killed

Ball Cupper
Sep 10, 2011

"These noises are too loud" - someone who probably sets the volume on their TV to 6 or something

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
i think children are just a lot more sensitive to things like that, i was too (not a :spergin:) and just grew out of it...i dont really see many grown adults doing this though

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Ghostsauce posted:

seriouspost: you only have one set of ears. always wear earplugs to concerts, when mowing the grass, even to movies.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

MY BF LESLIE SAID posted:

i've never seen anyone doing this which leads me to believe its made up. gently caress you.

i live in a city, so i see a lot of fags

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord

LifeSizePotato posted:

seriouspost: you only have one set of ears. always wear earplugs to concerts, when mowing the grass, even to movies.

lmao thinking of you watching the fault in our stars, weeping liek a bitch with orange foam poking out your ears

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

i'm thinking more like michael bay movies actually

but yeah, i'll go on record as saying that looking cool isn't worth hearing loss and tinnitus. suck on it.

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my ass and mouth!
haha children are pussy rear end bitches

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
i don't know. But I do know fire trucks are 100% correlated with autism

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
i cover my eyes when the op posts

better than using the ignore feature imo

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I used to play drums and damaged my ears because nobody told me that wearing earplugs is a good plan. I have a fair idea of how loud something has to be to damage your eardrums. Ambulance/fire trucks and the caltrain horn 'I'm about to cross a road! I'm expressing through this station! etc' are loving loud and can damage your hearing. I block my ears when cars with sirens drive past or trains blow their horns. Also yeah, earplugs at concerts. Thankfully the hearing damage occurred when I was a teenager and somehow my hearing recovered a bit so it's still average or above average.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

stuntwaffle posted:

haha children are pussy rear end bitches

but i'm telling you it's not children. grown men! biologically speaking of course

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I've never seen an adult do this, but if they do they need to HTFU.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

redreader posted:

I used to play drums and damaged my ears because nobody told me that wearing earplugs is a good plan. I have a fair idea of how loud something has to be to damage your eardrums. Ambulance/fire trucks and the caltrain horn 'I'm about to cross a road! I'm expressing through this station! etc' are loving loud and can damage your hearing. I block my ears when cars with sirens drive past or trains blow their horns. Also yeah, earplugs at concerts. Thankfully the hearing damage occurred when I was a teenager and somehow my hearing recovered a bit so it's still average or above average.

people who scoff at wearing earplugs at concerts are the dumbest of babbies

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

redreader posted:

losing your hearing is a clear sign of genetic inferiority, untermensch

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

LifeSizePotato posted:

people who scoff at wearing earplugs at concerts are the dumbest of babbies

i'm the dumbest of babies then because lol if you wear an earplug at a concert

and double lol if you wear two

Ball Cupper
Sep 10, 2011

jackyl posted:

and double lol if you wear two

I wear three plugs

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
vehicle sirens are routinely 125db, higher in some cases, which means that your threshold for exposure without the possibility of permanent hearing damage is 3 seconds or less, hth
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/noise-exposure-level-duration-d_717.html

Efftronica posted:

losing your hearing is a clear sign of genetic inferiority, untermensch
nah, it's more a sign of doing basic dumbass things like routinely exposing yourself to 125-130db without protection.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
I have never seen this IRL (in real life).

I've seen grown adults get shocked by the initial sound of a firetruck though but that's not really the same thing.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Tim Raines IRL posted:

vehicle sirens are routinely 125db, higher in some cases, which means that your threshold for exposure without the possibility of permanent hearing damage is 3 seconds or less, hth

nah, it's more a sign of doing basic dumbass things like routinely exposing yourself to 125-130db without protection.

well it looks like you just volunteered yourself for sterilization :smaug:

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004
as i skeleton i do not find this to be problematic

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Ball Cupper posted:

I wear three plugs

lol lol lol

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
not to mention people who wear plugs when they shoot guns or ride motorcycles, what babies

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
ive used a fancy set of etymotic ear plugs for the past six months for concerts and now i dont see why other people who enjoy seeing live music dont own a set of these...you can always just not wear them if they are not needed or pull them out when ur favorite song gets played. but why would you sacrifice some of ur ability to hear (especially later in life) for a lovely opening band playing too loud or if you happen to arrive late and ur forced to stand directly in front of the speakers?

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Wayside Bazaar posted:

a fancy set of etymotic ear plugs

mods, namechange

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

LifeSizePotato posted:

i'm thinking more like michael bay movies actually

Ah, I can understand earplugs for that. And also blindfolds

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

jackyl posted:

yeah, sorry to say but you're pretty much an idiot moron :(

just remember this thread when you're 35 years old and starting to say "huh?" more often in conversations

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR
ambulances are crazy loud in london so when one passes slowly and stays right next to me blaring its siren ill usually put a finger up to whichever ear i must

what now bitch op ill loving sever your lovely conservative head off :colbert:

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR
I was at a belly dancing show a few weeks back which is 99.9 percent women performing and this fat flamboyantly gay indian guy was last up and decided he wanted tons of attention so he put the music full blast and did like a 30 minute show which is prob 25 mins longer than average

It was a full on gay assault as he basically strip teased down to a thong and did a lot of booty popping and it was funny for a couple minutes but to lose some hearing due to stupid poo poo like that is shameful. as my ears rang later, much like Freddie Mercury i was full of regret. wear protection children

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
protect your goddamn hearing. i cover my ears whenever i hear a sound louder than a low whisper

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord

Tim Raines IRL posted:

not to mention people who wear plugs when they shoot guns or ride motorcycles, what babies

nice troll

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

the crazy thing concerts are actually more fun and enjoyable with plugs in. you can hear the instruments and the music better, and after the show you can have a normal conversation not have cloudy ringy ears

"i'll look like a dork" are the saddest people

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
i remember when i was younger and dumber i went to an f1 race and we were pretty close to the track right next to a hairpin turn (so the cars would accelerate coming out of the turn and jesus christ the blowoff valves.) i was like ya i dont need hearing protection :smug:

after about two laps i went and got ear plugs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.
concerts arent more enjoyable with earplugs. anyone who says that is a dweeb. plus arguably there are performances of music where the volume is as important to the experience of the work as any other aspect of the sound.

i have crushing tinnitus.

• Locked thread