Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sansuki
May 17, 2003

Jimbozig posted:

Because being explicitly inclusive is better than just assuming that everyone knows to be inclusive.

Rule 1: Don't be a giant wang. Everyone came here to have fun, that means don't be a jerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

Deptfordx posted:

Also in all the previews, do we have a definitive list of all the Character classes that are coming in the new Players Handbook.
Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, Druid, Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Rogue, Ranger, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard

We've actually seen the Sorcerer's Wild Magic table and the Warlock's fluff page.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

sansuki posted:

Rule 1: Don't be a giant wang. Everyone came here to have fun, that means don't be a jerk.

Unfortunately, if we've learned anything after posting on the internet, it's that rules like these have to be explicitly and carefully enumerated otherwise they'll be forgone completely.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
There's a literal side panel on page 5 about how wonderful magic and magic users are

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

sansuki posted:

Rule 1: Don't be a giant wang. Everyone came here to have fun, that means don't be a jerk fighter.

e: More seriously, I wish they'd actually make magic magical rather than just telling us how magical it is.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

sansuki posted:

Why is this a thing? I don't mind it, I think its neat, but why did they have to take the time and make this a thing in the book?

Some course correction is necessary for a hobby where stuff like "Women receive -2 to strength" and "The female paladin is raped into losing her powers" exist.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

LFK posted:

Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, Druid, Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Rogue, Ranger, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard

We've actually seen the Sorcerer's Wild Magic table and the Warlock's fluff page.

Based just on the fluff description warlock sounds pretty cool with some legit story hooks

Whispering Voices
Nov 21, 2007
Obey and all will be well ...
Am I missing something with fighters? How is this an enriching improvement over 4th Edition? :wtf:

quote:

... as fighters, they all share an unparalleled mastery with weapons and armor, and a thorough knowledge of the skills of combat. And they are well acquainted with death, both meting it out and staring it defiantly in the face.

Congratulations you can add up to 10% to a dice roll, yay. You get to roll a few more dice at high levels.

quote:

(Wizards') mightiest spells change one substance into another, call meteors down from the sky, or open portals to other worlds.

Spells everywhere.

I have a tiny forlorn hope they will release 4E into the community, but they probably won't because it would fragment their last remaining customers. I can't see how anyone would willingly take Next over 3.5 or Pathfinder though, let alone over 4E which gave everyone awesome stuff to do.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

sansuki posted:

Why is this a thing? I don't mind it, I think its neat, but why did they have to take the time and make this a thing in the book?

Why should it not be a thing?

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Why should it not be a thing?

I think the initial negative reaction most people have is to the rather inelegant and awkward way the subject is just kinda thrown out there out of the blue like some giant non sequitur. Much like the rest of the packet they don't take much effort to approach the subject and just kind of vomit words.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, but that still leaves open the question as to why this was such an offense as opposed to the entire half-page dedicated to telling people how awesome spellcasters are for being able to help fighters.

It's a game where crystal people, dragon people and element-people have all been written about at length. Real people? Hoo boy, talk about a can o' worms.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Talking of Word Vomit, I ran a few searches. (Linked instead of crossposting)

109 uses of "spell" vs. 7 uses of "sword". (30 of "weapon" if you're feeling charitable.)

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Yeah, but that still leaves open the question as to why this was such an offense as opposed to the entire half-page dedicated to telling people how awesome spellcasters are for being able to help fighters.

It's a game where crystal people, dragon people and element-people have all been written about at length. Real people? Hoo boy, talk about a can o' worms.

The offense isn't the subject as much as it is the approach.

I think because ultimately it comes off as forced and insincere. Like they felt they had to say something about it to try and rope in additional players (or attract them for the very fact they address it) but with zero idea of how to actually do it so they say "hey choose your gender which can totally be whatever cuurraaazy combo you can think of! D&D doesn't care!"

Kinda falls flat and pandering. Just my $0.02.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

treeboy posted:

Kinda falls flat and pandering.
On the bright side, that's the theme of the packet.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

treeboy posted:

I think because ultimately it comes off as forced and insincere. Like they felt they had to say something about it to try and rope in additional players (or attract them for the very fact they address it) but with zero idea of how to actually do it so they say "hey choose your gender which can totally be whatever cuurraaazy combo you can think of! D&D doesn't care!"

I'm not going to disagree with any of that, mind you.

But I somehow don't think that was the original contention.

Oh yeah, this little bit of text is going to dominate a lot of the conversation over the next few days.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I dunno, I haven't seen many people mention it tbh.

The big thing I see in ENWorld is both "Wow, wizards and clerics are so cool!" and "It feels like D&D!" So, hey, mission accomplished for Next.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

dwarf74 posted:

Repost from that other thread:

This is awesome. For real, no irony.

I know this is a pretty minor point, but I am actually super happy that the phrasing is "a man who feels trapped in a female body" and not something more awkard or indirect.
Like it's a really little thing but they could've handled it much much worse.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

treeboy posted:

I think the initial negative reaction most people have is to the rather inelegant and awkward way the subject is just kinda thrown out there out of the blue like some giant non sequitur. Much like the rest of the packet they don't take much effort to approach the subject and just kind of vomit words.

treeboy posted:

It's good to know that, even though you personally aren't offended by this blatant PC pandering, you're looking out for WotC on this one. Look out, Wizards! Don't you see that you might be offending people (not me, obviously!!!!!). Please think of the bigots!

You are a very good poster and I think you should definitely keep posting about this subject. Don't hold back! Just let it allllll out. :)

Meepo
Jul 30, 2004

Total spells that require a saving throw: 42
Spells that require a Dexterity saving throw: 19
Spells that require a Constitution saving throw: 9
Spells that require a Wisdom saving throw: 11
Spells that require a Strength saving throw: 0
Spells that require an Intelligence saving throw: 0
Spells that require a Charisma saving throw: 0

So uh..what's the point of having six saves?

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

I still think it's awkward and out of place but decided to spend more time formulating my opinion as to why. I think the topic could have been better written while still approaching it directly and succinctly. Two words which generally are not applicable to most of this packet.

That being said I'm fine letting the subject drop, it's one reason I left the other thread. When it came up again here I felt I had something to contribute after thinking about my own distaste for how WotC handled it.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best
For me the phrasing is off, and I say this as a trans woman, there's something about it that seems poorly worded.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Can things other than spells (or spell-like, etc.) call for saving throws? Maybe strength saving throw would be for something like "can you hold the spiked portcullis up, or does it squish you?" Just guessing here, I'm not far into the pdf myself.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
I can understand that some of the phrasing or the way they presented it is "a bit off" or stereotypical (androgynous elf, beardy lady-dwarf). I won't disagree with that. I'm still glad they made a good-faith effort and didn't undermine it elsewhere.

Like honestly, they could have ended the paragraph by saying "But, of course, you should always defer to the DM if he has any restrictions." That would have been both gross and sadly unsurprising. They didn't. They just straight-up put inclusivity into the rules.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

petrol blue posted:

Can things other than spells (or spell-like, etc.) call for saving throws? Maybe strength saving throw would be for something like "can you hold the spiked portcullis up, or does it squish you?" Just guessing here, I'm not far into the pdf myself.

That's probably be more of a skill check but as the two are fundamentally the same: yes.

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004

homerlaw posted:

For me the phrasing is off, and I say this as a trans woman, there's something about it that seems poorly worded.

Can I vote as a trans women who's happy with it? Sure, it could always be more inclusive, but it's a hell of a gesture for an industry like this.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

homerlaw posted:

Examples I've seen mentioned include the older style "trapped" phrasing, the use of "hermaphrodite", and how one of the examples is an old dwarf beard joke while the other is an old lovely elf joke.

So, it's an effort. A sort of first-draft effort where no trans people were consulted (and at least one open transphobic stalker was).

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I guess my standards must be super low after getting irritated at bullshit like "sexually confused" recently. Maybe I'm just not interpreting it as implying that being trans is on the same level as being a lady dwarf that everyone treats as a guy because she has a beard?
I could see how that would feel insulting, it's just... nice to even see it at all, as a fairly low key "man trapped inside a female body," instead of it turning into some weird creepy plot point thing.
Like that could be a normal thing that happens to apply to your PC and influence their life but not overwhelm it, instead of it being, like, the villain's backstory for why they're so evil and blah blah blah.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I sort of expected the six saving throws to be closer to the older style saving throw optional rules from Basic/AD&D, where the primary stat for resiting being paralyzed, turned into stone or restrained was Strength because you could just bull your way through bonds, magical or otherwise. Dexterity was for "Dragon breath" (which turned into a reflex save) and constitution was limited largely to poison, hostile transformation and death effects. Wisdom was for confusion/domination and intelligence for illusions, IIRC.

How it turned out is just as a sort of three-save system with a couple of sops cast to the others, and not very consistently.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Examples I've seen mentioned include the older style "trapped" phrasing, the use of "hermaphrodite", and how one of the examples is an old dwarf beard joke while the other is an old lovely elf joke.

So, it's an effort. A sort of first-draft effort where no trans people were consulted (and at least one open transphobic stalker was).

Yeah, that's sums up how I feel pretty well.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

I don't think anyone was waiting on Wizard's stamp of approval to be allowed to play a queer character, so that little sidebar feels ultimately pointless even if it had obviously worthwhile intentions behind it. If you've got a bigoted player/DM who'd be an rear end about that kind of thing I doubt being able to point to the Official Rules would change their minds.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Meepo posted:

Total spells that require a saving throw: 42
Spells that require a Dexterity saving throw: 19
Spells that require a Constitution saving throw: 9
Spells that require a Wisdom saving throw: 11
Spells that require a Strength saving throw: 0
Spells that require an Intelligence saving throw: 0
Spells that require a Charisma saving throw: 0

So uh..what's the point of having six saves?

Each class in the starter set has one real save and one bullshit save. It seems like fortitude, reflex, and will still exist in all but name - although it wouldn't exactly shock me to learn that some of the non-core classes either get two bullshit saves or two real ones.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

I don't think anyone was waiting on Wizard's stamp of approval to be allowed to play a queer character, so that little sidebar feels ultimately pointless even if it had obviously worthwhile intentions behind it. If you've got a bigoted player/DM who'd be an rear end about that kind of thing I doubt being able to point to the Official Rules would change their minds.

It wouldn't change their minds, but it would at least deprive them of one excuse.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
Quoted from the chat thread:

neongrey posted:

Man, so I really didn't like the 'sex' paragraphs in the new D&D-- some choices of language I was not happy with at all (like hermaphroditic, or the dwarf misgendering joke, or 'man trapped in a female body').

So when RPZip was talking about jargon and page space and all of that on IRC I was like 'gently caress it, I can do it in the same amount of words'. It's not perfect, but hey~

quote:

Original:

Sex

You can play a male or female character without gaining any special benefits or hinderances. Think about how your character does or does not conform to the broader culture's expectations of sex, gender, and sexual behavior. For example, a male drow cleric defies the traditional gender divisions of drow society, which could be a reason for your character to leave that society and come to the surface.

You don't need to be confined to binary notions of sex and gender. The elf god Corellon Larethian is often seen as androgynous or hermaphroditic, for example, and some elves in the multiverse are made in Corellon's image. You could also play a female character who presents herself as a man, a man who feels trapped in a female body, or a bearded female dwarf who hates being mistaken for a male. Likewise, your character's sexual orientation is for you to decide.

Total: 150 words
------
1st draft:

Gender Roles

You can play a character of any gender without any mechanical effect, but you can consider how that might affect your roleplay. You might think about how your character's gender and personality relate to their culture's expectations of them. Do people think it's unusual that your fighter is a woman? Did your drow cleric leave for the surface because his temple wouldn't accept him?

Neither do you need to conform to binary notions of gender. Elves and dwarves are often perceived as androgynous in two very different ways, for example. You could also play a character who feels no gender applies to them, or a woman who was born with a male body. Don't forget the prevalence of magic lets you explore these possibilities in ways you couldn't in real life, no matter what your own gender is. Your character's identity is entirely up to you!

Total: 148 words

(I also put it up on my g+ here)

Frankly, I think that, though admirable, they could have done a hell of a lot better with the paragraph.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Brother Entropy posted:

Well, in a larger sense it's important for people who ARE queer and so on to be openly represented and referenced in the flagship iconic RPG. On a personal and individual game level, maybe not so much, but as a product it's also intended to foster a community and it's interesting to see the overtures towards the kind of community they want to build and the players they want to acknowledge.

Plus it might make some bigots angry :allears:

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

Brother Entropy posted:

This is essentially what I was originally attempting to, admittedly inelegantly, express. In the end it felt off and extraneous. Ymmv.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

petrol blue posted:

Yes, traps tend to be a saving throw.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

petrol blue posted:

Back in the playtest there were a small handful of monster abilities that keyed to alternate saves, such as a strength save to avoid being knocked on your rear end by a minotaur, an intelligence save to avoid being stunned by a mind flyer's mind blast, and a charisma save to avoid a devil's fear aura (not to be confused with the wisdom saves to avoid the fear effects of every other monster in the bestiary). It wasn't really well thought-out, but I suspect Fort/Ref/Will have been replaced with Con/Dex/Wis saves and then there are the odd ones out, with the order of the rest from most-common to least common being Str/Cha/Int.

It is at this point that I miss 4e allowing you to add the higher of two stats to your defense, even if there were still problems with that.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Brother Entropy posted:

True, but bear in mind that (at least in the designer's minds) D&D is the entry into trpgs for a lot of people, and if you're all figuring it out as a group, it might be a useful pointer, not least if you're coming from crpgs. It's clunky, it's awkward as hell, but at least it's there.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
It's with bitter irony that I post this given the further conduct of the guy who wrote it, but nevertheless: http://nobilis.me/quotes:exalted-is-totally-gay

There's probably room to quibble about that sidebar's wording but it's a good inclusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Well, in a larger sense it's important for people who ARE queer and so on to be openly represented and referenced in the flagship iconic RPG. On a personal and individual game level, maybe not so much, but as a product it's also intended to foster a community and it's interesting to see the overtures towards the kind of community they want to build and the players they want to acknowledge.

Plus it might make some bigots angry :allears:

Yeah, that community-fostering is a fair point. Still think it could've been done less awkwardly but that's admittedly a nitpick on my part.