Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Ratoslov posted:

Nah, I can't remember where I heard the stuff about Goons, but here's some crazy stuff about Alignment Dancey wrote last year. It's pretty stupid.
ugh. I used to admin pvp muds back in the day and can preempt his plans with "nothing good will come of this". These are the types of ideas that sound brilliant and fair in the abstract, but never deliver on execution because you are making computer rules to model "fairness" against human vs. human interaction. Absolute rules to model subjective notions, good luck with that. I've seen variations of pvp rules like this implemented and the results are always the same:

1) player killers will still find ways to game the system. In this case it will be it avoiding reputation loss (or whatever) and still being aggressive, or causing others to sink into reputation loss though they were not the real aggressor

2) in the arms race to prevent (1) you will start to come up with ridiculous blanket rules that will fix the tedious rule exploit you designed it for about 5% of the time, and 95% of the time will punish and starve out activity that should be judged fair.

3) The rules turn into a complicated mess that trip up players just wanting to have an honest go at the game, and yet...

4) goto (1)

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dahbadu posted:

Seriously, I can't believe this -- do you have a link? Although by all accounts the guy sounds incompetent, this is just so unprofessional. With a lead designer/manager making comments like that, I'm 100% assured it's going to turn into vaporware.

http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2ouvs&page=4?Goblinworks-Blog-I-Heard-It-through-the#196

quote:

Yeah, I took that non-denial as admission to being a Goon as well. Unsurprising given the m.o.

You want to make a name for yourself on Something Awful? Troll a forum. If you get the denizens riled up, that's a win. If you get the mods riled up, that's sweet, sweet tears of rage you brag about. You get an owner riled up? It's as good as counting coup! Put that trophy on the wall and brag about it forever!

I'm not much fun for Goons.

@TerraNova - We'll be very open to a dialog with the community. We'll likely even have some sort of community body that forms in some sort of official advisory capacity. We're not running a dictatorship, we're running a dictocracy. That's where everyone has a fair chance to make their point and vote on a direction, then I decide what to do. If I thought I could create from whole cloth a functioning, healthy society all by myself by fiat I'd be delusional. It takes community effort and community involvement to make a society work.

I always think it's interesting when people focus on the worst case scenario. "What if I accidentally type "F++* you"?!?!?!?! I'll get banned without appeal and lose everything!"

Come on guys. We're not idiots here. Nobody wants to ban anyone. Nobody at Goblinworks has the time or the inclination to go looking for one-off derp derp and go through the immense hassle of banning an account. It's the Nuclear Option. We use it when there's no other good course of action.

Let's focus on the best-case scenario:

People who actually do want to rile others up just for the lulz are kept to a minimum, and the community views that behavior as so aberrant that it self-policies to a large degree the kids trying to be cynical/tough/ironic/sarcastic/hip/cool who just don't know any better, and acts like the body's immune system when it's someone who is actually interested in pouring gasoline on the place and burning it down just to watch it burn - identifying them quickly, bringing attention to them swiftly, and being happy to be well rid of them when they're forcibly removed from the premises.

The quality of community thus engendered attracts a great audience of folks who have been looking for that kind of community attached to a fantasy sandbox, and have been turned off by the toxic, degenerate, schoolyard bullies that seem to populate all the others. That's a positive feedback loop as the healthy nature of our community becomes a feature of the product, used by evangelists to recruit their friends.

Societies tend follow the ground rules laid down at their inceptions. They build momentum. Barring major disaster or a significant change to the environment, societal patterns tend to reinforce themselves. If you have good patterns from the start, you tend to get a good development long term. If you have unhealthy patterns at the start, you fight the tide forever trying to fix the problem.

Just look at the difference here, on the Paizo forums, which have been well groomed from the start to engender a healthy society, and compare them to what you find on other RPG discussion forums. This isn't rocket science. The days when all this had to be figured out by black-boxing the community or operating on conventional wisdom and guesswork are long over. There's tried and true practices for managing great on line communities, and we're just going to use them.

RyanD

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ryan Dancey sounds like a huge loving dork.

Anyway even if the Pathfinder thing comes out, it looks like garbage.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Ratoslov posted:

Nah, I can't remember where I heard the stuff about Goons, but here's some crazy stuff about Alignment Dancey wrote last year. It's pretty stupid.

Wow that reputation system is pretty awful. If a high-level character quickly jumps into the Burning Hands cone of a newbie wizard, then the wizard counts as the aggressor and may be mobbed and mauled to death with impunity. The system also doesn't really punish anybody who can kill his target in one single attack. This system sounds trivially easy to abuse.

Daetrin
Mar 21, 2013

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Ryan Dancey sounds like a huge loving dork.

Anyway even if the Pathfinder thing comes out, it looks like garbage.

I will say I agree with him about your seed culture informing all your future culture though. I know pretty much all MMO communities are cesspools but I saw how WoW handled the closed beta boards, and I watched that deliberate stoking of vitriol spill out into the the rest of the players. It was really quite unnerving.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

And we all saw the official WotC boards degenerate into a raging shitstorm that would tolerate no criticism of Next.

e: To elaborate, Next would probably be a great much better game had they brokered real discussion about it during the playtests. Instead, critical posts were deleted or shouted down and a one-sided edition war raged. If you weren't in the chorus of TRUE D&D FEELS, you got sick of pissing in the wind and fled.

moths fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 24, 2014

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Sage Genesis posted:

Wow that reputation system is pretty awful. If a high-level character quickly jumps into the Burning Hands cone of a newbie wizard, then the wizard counts as the aggressor and may be mobbed and mauled to death with impunity. The system also doesn't really punish anybody who can kill his target in one single attack. This system sounds trivially easy to abuse.
Well, like I said, these are all things he scrambled to come up with to explain how a MMO company with little funding, a tiny dev team, and no experience is going to be competitive. Sandbox design, player-generated content, players enforcing their own community, built-in alignment system--all frantic excuses.

Daetrin
Mar 21, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

Sandbox design, player-generated content, players enforcing their own community, built-in alignment system--all frantic excuses.

Sandbox Design: Doable, but requires a lot of thought on how to get a player to make their own goals.
Player-Generated content: Eehhhh. Neverwinter has that, not sure how well that works? Requires pretty significant tools.
Players enforcing their own community: Welp. Those require really robust social tools. I don't know where you'd even begin.
Built-in alignment system: What's the difference between this and factions, except being more fiddly?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Daetrin posted:

Built-in alignment system: What's the difference between this and factions, except being more fiddly?

Orc Child yells DADDY! DADDY HELP ME!
You receive loot: [Broken Toy Sword]
You loot 5 Silver, 2 Copper.
Reputation with Good increased by 40.
Reputation with Law increased by 40.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

neverwinter nights had a lot of awesome servers with DMs but I really don't see how that applies to an MMO. Character persistence has a troubled relationship with DM-moderated campaigns.

Daetrin
Mar 21, 2013

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

neverwinter nights had a lot of awesome servers with DMs but I really don't see how that applies to an MMO. Character persistence has a troubled relationship with DM-moderated campaigns.

I meant the actual MMO, Neverwinter, with the Foundry.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Daetrin posted:

In theory it looks like the idea will be that it will be possible to change from one to the other in-game; something World of Warcraft doesn't do. In practice, going by that post, it looks like it's going to be a gigantic pointless probably punitive mess because the designers want it to reflect pre-1st edition sensibilities about alignment for some reason.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

moths posted:

Orc Child yells DADDY! DADDY HELP ME!
You receive loot: [Broken Toy Sword]
You loot 5 Silver, 2 Copper.
Reputation with Good increased by 40.
Reputation with Law increased by 40.

What happens when an evil player kills another evil player? Do they get more evil or more good? Does it just crash to desktop?

NorgLyle posted:

In theory it looks like the idea will be that it will be possible to change from one to the other in-game; something World of Warcraft doesn't do. In practice, going by that post, it looks like it's going to be a gigantic pointless probably punitive mess because the designers want it to reflect pre-1st edition sensibilities about alignment for some reason.

Obviously it would be Ryan loving Dancey posted:

Some abilities, like Paladin feats and skills, are only available to characters of certain alignments. You can only learn and slot those abilities if both your Active and Core Alignment match the Alignment requirement.

Yeah, that class you chose in a persistent online game? gently caress youuuuuuuu.

edit: Oh, it's worse than I thought, active and core alignment need to match, so it's even impossible to start out, say, CG, decide you want to be a beacon of light and justice, and do Law/Good until you can paladin it up. It's only punitive.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 24, 2014

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

That game is going to die so loving hard.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

S.J. posted:

That game is going to die so loving hard.

To die, it would have to ever exist outside of a way to keep paychecks flowing to Ryan Dancey as long as possible.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
So how many MMOs does Ryan Dancey have to NOT do good work on before people stop hiring on him? This is gonna be #3, right? Or are there more.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

30.5 Days posted:

So how many MMOs does Ryan Dancey have to NOT do good work on before people stop hiring on him? This is gonna be #3, right? Or are there more.

#3!?!? anyway, I backed this shitstorm because I wanted to watch a train wreck and I haven't been disappointed. Having been on the ground floor of building a AAA mmo from the groundup on the operations end of the business I see nothing but a clusterfuck. I've eyed their job postings just to see what they are hiring and I've yet to see anything beyond designers and game programmers. There is a shitton more that goes into making mmos beyond game devs and designers and all signs point to them ignoring these other vital positions. Honestly, I hope I am wrong because there are careers and lives of folks not named Ryan Dancey involved but nothing public has been said or done to dissuade me of my perceptions.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

spoon daddy posted:

#3!?!? anyway, I backed this shitstorm because I wanted to watch a train wreck and I haven't been disappointed. Having been on the ground floor of building a AAA mmo from the groundup on the operations end of the business I see nothing but a clusterfuck. I've eyed their job postings just to see what they are hiring and I've yet to see anything beyond designers and game programmers. There is a shitton more that goes into making mmos beyond game devs and designers and all signs point to them ignoring these other vital positions. Honestly, I hope I am wrong because there are careers and lives of folks not named Ryan Dancey involved but nothing public has been said or done to dissuade me of my perceptions.

He worked on EVE for a little while and hosed it up, but not in a lastingly destructive way.
He worked on that white wolf MMO which lol
Now he's working on this.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

30.5 Days posted:

He worked on EVE for a little while and hosed it up, but not in a lastingly destructive way.
He worked on that white wolf MMO which lol
Now he's working on this.

Ryan Scott Dancey (Chief Executive Officer)
He’s been called “the Steve Jobs of MMO Marketing.”

AlphaDog posted:

What happens when an evil player kills another evil player? Do they get more evil or more good? Does it just crash to desktop?

You are absorb their evil into yourself, in equal and exact proportion to the amount of good you did by killing someone evil, thus keeping the amount of evil constant.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
5e DMG previews:
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/extra-life

Orb of Dragonkind can enslave your mind forever if you fail a Charisma check. Because let's not use our six saves or something?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The whole thing with Dancey and the OGL/SRD is mind-boggling to me; I can't believe that Wizards could have missed the glaringly obvious downside. "So this allows anybody, even our own competitors, to copy our system, make whatever modifications they like and put it out as their own product in perpetuity and royalty-free as long as they don't include our tiny handful of trademarked monsters like Beholders and Mind Flayers? What a great idea, nothing could possibly go wrong!" I guess they assumed they'd sell PHBs to everyone using a d20 product and all would be rosy.

(It's also mind-boggling that it worked, because d20 is a horrible, over-crunchy system that tries and fails dismally to be a physics engine, but that's by the by.)

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
We need a new grognards thread for this guy

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The way he tried to describe it (a decade after the fact, so whatever) is that it was supposed to be a Warcraft 3/DOTA sort of thing: just as people ended up buying Warcraft 3 just to play DOTA, people would also buy D&D products either as a way to play the other 3rd-party 'mod' that needs it, or that they'd keep playing the D&D product knowing that they'd have 3rd-party publishers continuing to produce content for it.

The other analogy he used is that it's like Valve not taking a cut from Gamersgate or Amazon or Humble Bundle selling Steam keys: it's enough for Valve to simply get the person into the Steam environment, or in this case the 3.x/d20 environment, where they can be marketed to directly.

Of course this doesn't quite capture the differences between the computer gaming and TTRPG industries, and he was saying this long after he'd left WOTC and profited from his own shenanigans.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Warcraft 3 wasn't free on the internet and no one could print and sell their own copies of WC3. Good thinking Dancy.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

But OGL stuff says that you must own D&D manuals. That's non-negotiable!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Eye of Vecna posted:

Each time you cast a spell from the eye, there is a 5 percent chance that Vecna tears your soul from your body, devours it, and then takes control of the body like a puppet. If that happens, you become an NPC under the DM's control.

Obsidian Steed posted:

If you have a good alignment, the figurine has a 10 percent chance each time you use it to ignore your orders, including a command to revert to figurine form. If you mount the nightmare while it is ignoring your orders, you and the nightmare are instantly transported to a random lcocation on the plane of Hades, where the nightmare reverts to figurine form.

I don't know which one I like less, the completely lolrandom effects that can permanently gently caress over a character, or the insistence on using "percent" instead of "%"

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
For the supposed king of RPGs with millions of players worldwide it's shocking that the people who play and make D&D don't seem to understand what makes games actually fun

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't know which one I like less, the completely lolrandom effects that can permanently gently caress over a character, or the insistence on using "percent" instead of "%"

Stupidly enough, the figurine sometimes ignores "your" commands if "you" are good-aligned. In all cases, "you" refers to the one who activated it. But by default the figurines are friendly to "you" and "your" allies. In other words, just give the figurines to neutral-aligned party members and have them activate the figurines and give the command to give you a ride.

This strikes me as a typical example of a rule that is meant to feel magical that in practice just gets ignored by gaming the system.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Daetrin posted:

Sandbox Design: Doable, but requires a lot of thought on how to get a player to make their own goals.
Player-Generated content: Eehhhh. Neverwinter has that, not sure how well that works? Requires pretty significant tools.
Players enforcing their own community: Welp. Those require really robust social tools. I don't know where you'd even begin.
He basically promised us Ultima Online all over again.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Sage Genesis posted:

Stupidly enough, the figurine sometimes ignores "your" commands if "you" are good-aligned. In all cases, "you" refers to the one who activated it. But by default the figurines are friendly to "you" and "your" allies. In other words, just give the figurines to neutral-aligned party members and have them activate the figurines and give the command to give you a ride.

This strikes me as a typical example of a rule that is meant to feel magical that in practice just gets ignored by gaming the system.

That won't happen if the players don't know what it does though, which they would only know if they cheated by looking at the DMG.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

AlphaDog posted:

That won't happen if the players don't know what it does though, which they would only know if they cheated by looking at the DMG.

After the first lame gotcha! "reward" I'm sure they'll just throw endless Identifies on everything just to go through the rituals of their antagonistic paranoid relationship with their DM.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

AlphaDog posted:

It comes packaged with Derek Smart's Desktop Commander!

Payndz posted:

The whole thing with Dancey and the OGL/SRD is mind-boggling to me; I can't believe that Wizards could have missed the glaringly obvious downside. "So this allows anybody, even our own competitors, to copy our system, make whatever modifications they like and put it out as their own product in perpetuity and royalty-free as long as they don't include our tiny handful of trademarked monsters like Beholders and Mind Flayers? What a great idea, nothing could possibly go wrong!"
4e's GSL was different so that Wizards could refuse someone the right to publish D20 Pedophilia, but that made people angry.

quote:

I guess they assumed they'd sell PHBs to everyone using a d20 product and all would be rosy.
That was the idea, yes. Or at least, when your D20 Call of Cthulhu campaign wrapped up, you'd be more likely to play D&D 3 since you already knew the system. But there's an acute contradiction here: D20 proponents said "if you don't like classes, levels, saves, hit points, or damage dice, those don't have to be part of D20." The problem is that once you remove most of that stuff, you have a different system. (Are BRP, Rolemaster, and Dark Heresy all the same system because they use percentile dice?) It's not simple to convert creatures from the Monster Manual to Spycraft or Mutants & Masterminds. If you do, the result won't be balanced in any way, so you might as well just convert things from any system you want and just eyeball it.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Sage Genesis posted:

After the first lame gotcha! "reward" I'm sure they'll just throw endless Identifies on everything just to go through the rituals of their antagonistic paranoid relationship with their DM.

To me those items sound more like artifacts (which are immune to Identify iirc?). I know the Deck of Many Things never showed what it was or what card you would draw no matter how many Identifies you threw at it.

Well unless my DM was a dick.

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN

Sage Genesis posted:

5e DMG previews:
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/extra-life

Orb of Dragonkind can enslave your mind forever if you fail a Charisma check. Because let's not use our six saves or something?
Man, to be fair, they are supposed to be extremely rare once-in-many-a-campaign items.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
The obsidian steed is very rare, which doesn't mean what you'd think it does. It's rare in the sense that certain Magic the Gathering cards are rare. But it's not an artifact and as such can be Identified normally.

And as for the actual artifact, yes those are extremely rare in the proper sense of the word. But that doesn't excuse using a Charisma check to enslave a PC into quasi-NPC status. Just because it doesn't happen often doesn't mean it should happen at all. I much prefer the 4e method where items would reward you for doing the correct thing by granting you more powers, and taking those powers away again if the character goes against the wishes of the artifact. To me that results in an interesting dynamic, where you might be seduced down the path of evil by being seduced by power. Being able to cast Suggestion at-will on you is essentially the same as handing over your character sheet to the DM. With a DC of 18 you will fail a save sooner or later, so you might as well give up and stop rolling dice to pretend you have any free will.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Man, what's the point of having awesomely powerful magic items if the game actively discourages you from ever using them? I feel like that could have been so much more interesting.

For instance, after x number of casts, the Eye can manipulate what you see. After y number, the eye can show you visions, and after z number you go blind in your other eye. That's very basic but I feel like it would convey a stronger sense of gradual corruption and manipulation that influences the characters actions in a positive way, driving the story.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Right - the way the penalty is structured right now, you can't manage it or predict it in any way, and that just shifts it from "can I risk using this thing just one more time?" to "never use it unless the alternative is literally death because if I blow it and roll the 1 on the d20 for Vecna's Takeover I'm dead anyway, even if it's only the first time I've ever used it"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
These artifact rules do something I thought was impossible. They make me long for the Book of Artifacts from AD&D2e, because the Vecna artifacts were more interesting and--oh Jesus Christ, I'm going to throw up--better designed in AD&D.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Halloween Jack posted:

He basically promised us Ultima Online all over again.

Really this is why I hold out a small glimmer of hope for it. If it works like UO did, I'll be happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daetrin
Mar 21, 2013

Talmonis posted:

Really this is why I hold out a small glimmer of hope for it. If it works like UO did, I'll be happy.

While this is really off topic from D&D Next...

My first MMO was Asheron's Call, and there has been no MMO that's actually delivered on the MMO promise better, in many ways (except A Tale In The Desert, but that barely counts). But going back to it now and looking at it objectively, there are a lot of issues that make it somewhat painful to play after many iterations of MMO interface and design. Yet, some of the reasons I like it so much are really, really hard to detach from otherwise-bad game design (e.g., its loot vs its grindiness). So far as I can tell UO is a bit the same thing. It did a lot of things right, and was daring in ways no modern MMO even considers, but trying to do a redux of that...

Much like tabletop games, many early MMOs are games in which you had fun despite the glaring flaws in the system because it was something New And Different. And novelty value is really high in the weighting of how fun a game is.