Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
God, I'm almost afraid to see what CineD is going to say about this film, but I really loved it. There are parts of it that does kinda border on being too "on the nose" and there's at least one part near the beginning where a character was like "Cigarettes went extinct a long time ago!! I can't believe he has one!!!! :downs:" that made me go, yeah, too much. Dial it back a bit, we aren't morons, we don't need to be told that so explicitly.

But otherwise I quite enjoyed it. It's nice to see a film that knows exactly what it's trying to do and manages to do that thing exactly.

Too bad everyone gets eaten by bears at the end!

AwkwardKnob posted:

Why were the hatchet dudes, like, gutting fish too? Ugh sometimes Asian cinema just makes me go cross-eyed. I can't quit it though.
I'm pretty sure that was their idea of being symbolic. "We're gonna gut you like a fish if you fight us" sort of thing.

Also remember the metaphor about the aquarium. That makes it even more explicit that the fish represents people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I think the main point of realism-contention for me is that, well, did they really need this train in the first place? I understand that's the entire central conceit of the storyline without which the themes and allegory don't work, but what specifically stopped them from just building...well, warmer houses in the first place? Surely that would've been an easier solution than this...rather complicated one?

Especially when we see at the end that arctic life was evidently able to survive for seventeen years without going extinct, so even if the planet went catastrophically cold, it still wasn't the type of catastrophic cold that couldn't conceivably be handled with care.

It's like the complex conceit of Avatar that never really made sense to me; we needed to be able to survive on this alien world and interact with the natives, so we cloned them and stuck our brains into them. Like...:stare: there's gotta be a more straightforward way than that, y'know?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Has someone asked him about why Yona is psychic yet?

• Locked thread