Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
There is a great article on Libertarians and An-Cap style anarchists today in the post. It's about a "Gathering of the Juggalos" style event held by the New Hampshire "Free State Project" called The Procupine Freedom Festival

The name comes from the idea of minding your own business (like the timid porcupine, or whatever) but defending yourself when provoked. Some Choice quotes:

quote:

This is the libertarian version of Burning Man., where a kumbaya discussion around the campfire goes something like this:

“It’s great to be around people who understand. I don’t get how the left won’t just admit that income tax is theft. Who cares if it’s for a good cause? If I held you at gunpoint to pay for my mother’s cancer treatment, wouldn’t that still be theft?”

Starts off pretty well with a complete, and willful, misunderstanding of taxes.

quote:

Once a year for the past 11 years, this campground in the northern part of the Granite State turns into a libertarian utopia. And this year, roughly 2,000 people — mostly white men — have paid between $45 and $100 to experience for one week what life would be like without the onerous mechanisms of laws, if the market ruled to the exclusion of all else.

No surprise there.

quote:

There’s a kid having a bad trip in the bathroom, and in this hectic, anti-hierarchical festival, Eyre is the closest thing to an authority figure around.

“I am God,” a longhaired 20-something repeats to the people babysitting him in a bathroom hallway. “I am a perfect logical machine.”

quote:

Two girls huffing nitrous oxide from a balloon and a guy holding a needle come by. The guy with the needle says he has a chemical mixture that if injected will lessen the effects of hallucinogens. “I have the solution right in my hands,” he says. Eyre decides it’s a bad idea to inject the longhaired guy with a mystery drug — even if it could work in theory — and says he won’t allow it to happen.

“Can anyone refute that it will work?” the guy with the needle asks.

It might as well have been the slogan for the whole glorious epic of the Porcupine Freedom Festival.

:stare:

quote:

Anyone can act as a de facto security guard here, but members of the “Church of the Sword” — a group from Manchester that doesn’t focus much on worship but does start its meetings with a “ritual of combat” involving foam swords — constitute the only organized group.

LARPing group providing security...

quote:

At an adjacent tent, a guy discusses the benefits of a paleo diet. If you stay healthy enough, he says, perhaps you can live long enough to make it to the “singularity” where you can live forever by tapping into artificial intelligence. Eat like a caveman, he says, so you can live long enough to become a robot.

“The thing about a lot of libertarians,” James O’Beirne, a software engineer living in New York City, says coming out of the paleo seminar, “is that we are often analytical to an irrational extent.”

This is really the most poignant way of describing Libertarians and their I've ever read.

The whole article is well worth the read, just full of absolute insanity and hypocrisy. The best part is when they talk about the literal "free market" in the center of the camp and how even the "live free of die" An-Caps end up enforcing rules for the good of their "free society". I can't help up wish I were rich enough to crash the gently caress out of this party. Move in with a literal security force and just gently caress with everyone. Buy out everyone's inventory, use my security to push out the other groups or just straight up buy out the other guys. Ruin everything they love about the even with the letter of the law and in direct opposition to the spirit of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
^^But the War of Northern Aggression wasn't about slavery. It was about states rights! :downs:^^

Bel Shazar posted:

It should be August 20th and we can call it "Starting a Fight You Can't Win Day"

Why August 20th?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Can someone post that great write up about how the civial was completely about slavery and not whatever wheasle topics are usually used? It had something to do with SC's confederate constitution or something.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

On Terra Firma posted:

I don't see how that makes any sense to anyone. Like, if you want people to "behave" how is that any different than government at any level pointing guns at you and hoping you "behave"? Do they not get how they are in their own little way a bit tyrannical? The majority of the country want background checks, but they're deathly afraid of the gun lobby (not out of fear of violent retribution) so nothing ever comes of it.

Because reasons.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Amergin posted:

EDIT: Beaten to it with a better explanation.

You should just post this alone for the rest of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

That 12 year old probably had less of an idea about what she said than a parrot does when it says "hello".

• Locked thread