Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Mayor Dave posted:

Happy Fourth to everyone, and may I post a link that proves that sometimes good things happen despite everything being utter poo poo?

The Day We Set the Colorado River Free:

TL;DR - America and Mexico agree to try ecological restoration by allowing the Colorado to flow once more.

This is really great, I remember cruising on Lake mead in 2011 and being seriously disturbed by how empty it was, and 120 feet of bathtub is WAY more than there was three years ago.

It made a big impact on my choice of master's degree. Go go water stewardship!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

This doesn't make sense. I thought there was going to be another investigation about his disappearance, why would they put him back on active duty? Not to mention what the quick return could do to his rehabilitation.

Well if he's like a huge number of Americans and he gauges his self worth based on his ability to Work then I'd say it'll be really good for his rehabilitation to be back at the office.

I'm sure there'll be people taking jabs at him but the article says he's completed counseling so whatever?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

DemeaninDemon posted:

I'm confused now. Do they even know why this plane crashed? drat you crazy aasholes who read Breitbart seriously.

No, they don't.

There's a bazillion reasons that pop into my head for how it was literally impossible that it was actually shot down, and only one or two crazy confabulations of circumstances that result in it being any sort of aggressive act.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
^^ haha yeah I should read more before I post

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Mind sharing them because history has shown multiple times that SAMs and AAMs don't have any compunctions about blowing apart civilian aircraft.

holy poo poo I hadn't read deep enough into it. sooooo consider my thought process rewired. drat.

edit: also I was on a civilian airliner on that flight path two weeks ago today. :smith:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

paranoid randroid posted:

The Sassanids are a mere five years from full scale greek fire production.

PROPEDIEM

(drat it's hard to translate "any day now")

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Fried Chicken posted:

On that note the New Yorker has an interesting piece on Biden today

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/07/28/biden-agenda

"With nineteen months until the Iowa caucuses in 2016, Biden’s prospects are not good. He is a frequent visitor to South Carolina (home of the third primary), but a 2012 poll found that nearly a third of those surveyed there couldn’t name the sitting Vice-President."

God I love this state :allears: also just the turn of phrase and subtext is hilarious.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Fried Chicken posted:

Here are some articles covering the new BRICS endeavor that I think are worth reading

http://theconversation.com/world-bank-watch-out-the-brics-bank-is-a-game-changer-29437

http://thediplomat.com/2014/07/3-reasons-the-brics-new-development-bank-matters/

http://america.aljazeera.com/opinions/2014/7/can-brics-build-somethingnew.html

Still, this is one of those things that is boring as hell, but could have large consequences down the road

It's a big step towards helping developing countries earnestly escape the neoliberal trap they've often ended up in for decades. Hopefully. Obviously the policies of the new institution will become clear with time and as it takes action.

Thanks for posting I would've likely not seen these articles and this intersects with my future career pretty heavily.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Kalman posted:

Or a big step towards helping developing countries have two different exciting options for putting themselves into an economic trap! I mean, certainly Russia and China would certainly never use economic influence to exert dominance over smaller nations, but you have to watch out for South Africa, man.

It is huge news, but I don't think it's going to be helpful to developing nations in avoiding some of the debt traps that IMF/World Bank funding has led to (though to my understanding both entities are walking back the policies that allow those traps) so much as it's huge news because it's the formation of a large-scale formal economic tie between the BRICS countries that might lead to the formation of another economic bloc as a rival or counterpoint to the US/EU bloc.

I CAN STILL BE OPTIMISTIC :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Bel Shazar posted:

Hussein Asylum

This is full of stars :allears:

I really hope some democrats start messaging around how goddamn wasteful the babby republicans are with these lawsuits. I mean come ON.

Fake edit awwww just saw your other post. High five anyway!

• Locked thread