Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hey Girl
Sep 24, 2004

Prosopagnosiac posted:

Cross posting from the general chat thread:

So I think we all remember Brian Boyko and Dr Lessig's Mayday PAC and their laughable goal of raising 5 million by July 4th to get money out of politics. Well today the good professor did an AMA on Reddit with one Jack Abramoff.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/commen...f_here_we_both/

Looks like Abramoff has seen the error of his ways and wants to "change the system man".

....Or the far more likely case that dude knows a mark when he sees one and wants to get a piece of that sweet $2.7 million they've raised in Internet donations and has no other options due to his total lack of credibility among people who can identify their rear end from a hole in the ground.

Since he got out of jail he's been pretty consistently working against corruption and moneyed lobbying in Washington.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hey Girl
Sep 24, 2004
Obama gave me the theoretical ability to get medical treatment for my chronic illness.

So that Mayday PAC hit 5 mil today. Is it possible that this could be a THING?

Hey Girl
Sep 24, 2004

ThirdPartyView posted:

If by thing you mean a slush fund for Lessig, Boyko, et al, yeah, sure.

That isn't what I meant but then I saw Boyko's thread. It's really loving hard to be an optimistic progressive you guys.

Hey Girl
Sep 24, 2004
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jul/03/beyonce-voters-republican-single-ladies

quote:

Tuesday on Fox's "women's show" Outnumbered, panelists were talking Hobby Lobby and electoral politics when co-host Jesse Watters said the following about Hillary Clinton:

She needs the single ladies vote. I call them "The Beyoncé Voters" – the single ladies. Obama won single ladies by 76% last time, and they made up about a quarter of the electorate. They depend on government because they're not depending on their husbands. They need things like contraception, health care, and they love to talk about equal pay.

So excited for this to start in full force.

Hey Girl
Sep 24, 2004
Just saw this:

Brownback reacts to shortfall by promising that if he is reelected he will cut taxes even more!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/09/kansas-sam-brownback_n_5570793.html

quote:

Appearing on MSNBC's "The Daily Rundown," Brownback was asked how he planned to bridge the projected budget shortfall and fund critical state services, including education, at the same time.

"Uh, growth. I think we're going to be able to get there. Key part of that growth is keeping those taxes down," he said Wednesday.

uh...

Hey Girl
Sep 24, 2004

Cheekio posted:

edit: \/\/--Young Turks continues to not be worth watching. It's always like 3 minutes of a guy patting himself on the back for being marginally smarter than CNN.

I appreciate the Young Turks for their coverage of stories that most media outlets ignore but that being said Cenk works my nerves with how snide is he. It's great that you used to be a conservative dude. Welcome to the right side of history, but it'd be better for everyone if you stopped talking about how stupid other people are and how right you are and actually talked about the things that are involved. But instead the show is mostly :smuggo: :bigtran: :viggo:

Hey Girl
Sep 24, 2004

Dystram posted:

I enjoy watching him mock conservatives for how loving stupid they are, and that's nowhere near most of the show. I'm surprised there's so much hate for TYT on SA; I don't know if you noticed but we don't have many progressive programs to pick from.

I think it's just that it happens enough to be annoying since he does it with none of the charm of say, Rachel Maddow :allears:

There are a lot of progressive podcasts. Not much in the way of video newses.

ETA: Not that I'm saying that Rachel Maddow :allears: is a progressive. I wouldn't say that.

Hey Girl
Sep 24, 2004

Amergin posted:

What is she?

"I’m undoubtedly a liberal, which means that I’m in almost total agreement with the Eisenhower-era Republican party platform." - Rachel Maddow :allears:

She actually hasn't said a lot about her personal political leanings so I don't know. I mean she's clearly liberal leaning but it's hard to say how far to the left she veers. She's made jokes on the show about being a commie pinko but since she doesn't tend to editorialize the news it's hard to say if she's saying that like tongue in cheek wink wink or because it's what people who disagree with her call her.

Hey Girl
Sep 24, 2004
Aren't most ":bahgawd: big government" arguments bullshit anyway though since these same people don't want the government to stop doing things that it's doing while also saying that it's too big.

Hey Girl
Sep 24, 2004

Communist Zombie posted:

I honestly cant say I can tell what the intent or message of that act is supposed to be.

Liberals hate black conservatives?
She skipped the police and went right to the media. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't really a thing. Who steals yard signs to carefully deface them and then waits for the paint to dry before putting them back out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hey Girl
Sep 24, 2004

Warmachine posted:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/2000-days-of-obama-how-have-stocks-done-2014-07-11?dist=lcountdown

Haven't finished the article, but it has me chuckling. Republicans are better* for the economy huh? :laugh:

*Lets ignore for a minute that there are many more factor that affect stock market growth than who is POTUS.

*Lets ignore for a minute that historically the economy does better under the Democrats than Republicans.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/adamhartung/2012/10/10/want-a-better-economy-history-says-vote-democrat/

quote:

* Personal disposable income has grown nearly 6 times more under Democratic presidents
* Gross Domestic Product (GDP) has grown 7 times more under Democratic presidents
Corporate profits have grown over 16% more per year under Democratic presidents (they actually declined under Republicans by an average of 4.53%/year)
* Average annual compound return on the stock market has been 18 times greater under Democratic presidents (If you invested $100k for 40 years of Republican administrations you had $126k at the end, if you invested $100k for 40 years of Democrat administrations you had $3.9M at the end)
* Republican presidents added 2.5 times more to the national debt than Democratic presidents
* The two times the economy steered into the ditch (Great Depression and Great Recession) were during Republican, laissez faire administrations

• Locked thread