Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

"Welcome, addle-cove! Welcome to the worlds beyond your world, the great wheel of the cosmos. This is a great place! Where else can a poor sod mingle with minions of the great powers, or sail the astral ocean, or visit the flaming courts of the City of Brass, or even battle fiends on their home turf? Hey, welcome to the lands of the living and the dead!"

"So, where to begin? Sigil, of course - there ain't no other place worth beginning. Sigil: the City of Doors. This town's the gateway to everything and everywhere that matters. Step through one door and enter the halls of Ysgard, or turn down a particular alley and discover the Abyss. There are more gateways in Sigil than can be imagined; with all those doors Sigil's a useful place - and then some."

"Want to share a drink with a fiend, or maybe discuss philosophy with a deva? Here it can happen in the same day, the same afternoon, even at the same table - nothing's too unlikely for Sigil. Strange folks abound here, and any one of them may prove ally or foe. Where else but in Sigil do humans, elves, dwarves, githzerai, bariaur, and tieflings form adventuring companies? Where but in Sigil can a well-heeled cutter hire a githyanki ship or a legion of yugoloth mercs? This is place to live... or die."

Sigil is the City of Doors. A ring atop the Spire in the Outlands. Sigil is the center of the multiverse and the one place to enter any plane. Perhaps you were born here, perhaps you came from another plane and found Sigil to your liking, or perhaps you are some Clueless Berk who was walking along in the Prime singing a jaunty tune as you passed under a fallen tree not knowing that the tune was the key to the door made by the tree leaning against another. Whatever the reason, you are here now.

And specifically you are here in the Hive, in The Smoldering Corpse Bar. Sitting at a table, perhaps watching the namesake of the bar burning as it slowly floats over the grate, likly partaking in one of the many special beverages available at the bar. Some of you have heard the story of the name behind the bar, of how an insane pyromanical mage tried to burn down the Hive only for its citizens to rise up against him, for Wizards, Hedge Wizards, Mages, Witches, Sorcerers, and all manner of other spellcasters to come together and punish the fire obsessed mage, of how they opened a portal to the Elemental Plane of Fire within the mage so that he would always burn. His flesh crisped and his fat ran like melted tallow, and he continued to burn. Forever in pain, or perhaps forever in pleasure. It is said the bar was built up around the burning body, and how a woman came every day to watch the man burn, a woman apparently in love with him before he had tried to burn the world. Presumably the body even now burning and rotating is the same one, though others have said that a scarred man came through here and quenched the fires with a magical flask and took the still alive, still burning, corpse and left. And how before the burning mage left the woman had flung herself to embrace him, and burned to death upon his flames.

Of course it is all just a story to you, you have no idea if that happened, or if the burning body is the same one that has always burned there, or for that matter if the story about the mage trying to burn down the Hive is even true.

All you know is the Smoldering Corpse Bar is a nice, if rather hot, place with a wide selection of drinks and some entertainment, if your idea of entertainment is watching a body slowly turn in the air constantly on fire. You sit and watch, sit and listen, and perhaps even drink a little something.

And then your attention is drawn to a rather drunk patron arguing with the bartender, not an unusual sight really, but what catches your ears are the talk of treasure. And the sight of a map being waved around.

----------
Okay normal posting conventions, I am sure you all know what those are.

Feel free to go over some recent events, why you are here, some small talk, or whatever, before either reacting, or not, to the patron wishing to trade a treasure map for just one more drink.

The players for this game are:
Father Alexander Navarre played by ChrisAsmadi
Captain K'irk played by FireSight
Richter Cole, AKA “Coal” played by mistaya
Xheina van der Worrt played by Comrade Ghorbash
Prince Veodaal of House Rekkem played by Thesaurasaurus
and
Gray Lotwyver played by Transient People

Recruit Thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Coal
With Veodaal

“That cad!” Veo fumed (in more ways than one) as he stormed through the pub’s door. His favorite doublet was torn - again, and his armor had several unsightly holes in the mesh. Also blood was seeping from some of those holes, but it was really the impertinence that affronted him. “Offering to meet us in a dark alley with a job, only for it to turn out to be an attempt on our lives!” He snorted, and the air shimmered in front of his nostrils. “The nerve of some people!”

“We haven’t done anything worth paying someone to kill us over in at least a week.” Coal complained. He was tired and sore and while the blood on his shirt was someone else’s the bruises on his ribs (and ego) were going to stick around for a while unless they found a cleric. “So either the Factols are getting slower on the whole revenge thing (yeah, right) or somebody's looking for you, Veo. I’m not important enough to bother assassinating.”

“Oh, don’t talk yourself down like that.” Veo put one great, clawed hand on his friend’s shoulder. “With a few more deeds to your name, I’m sure there’ll be conspirators just lining up to plot your untimely demise!”

A month ago, that thought would have bothered Richter Cole, formerly of the White Council of Wizards, in Edinburgh, Scotland. But the man now known as simply "Coal" (after a slight error in translation) just grinned. “You really think so?”

“I know so,” Veo grinned a toothy grin back. “Here, get us a table. I’ll buy our round at the bar.”

"Sure. Kola wine, if they have it, with a cherry."

Kola wine was distilled from a bitter, caffeine-rich fruit that only grew in the plane of air. It was bottom of the shelf cheap, tasted like shoe polish, and was usually used by air folk to win money off people in drinking contests. Witnessing one such contest was how Coal had run across it, and after sampling the drink he’d recognized something familiar about it. Something that merited further investigation.

The fat red cherries that came standard in most fruity drinks even at the cheap dives were packed with sugar. After a lot of practice he'd figured out how to use a water spell to perfectly diffuse the cherry into the Kola. A twist of air to add carbonation, and a pinch of frost to ice the glass, and it was done. Alcoholic Cherry Coke wasn’t his drink of choice, but until he figured out the secret to Classic, it would do.

He’d sold the recipe to the same shop that had made a bundle on his Fill-Ye Cheese-steak sandwiches. The owner there had been so impressed she named it after him. Coal Kola was taking off, but they wouldn’t serve it with bubbles in it. “Too much like a potion.” the shopkeep had explained, when he’d tried to object. “No one wants to drink something that bubbles.”

He started looking around for a table, but they were all occupied. Where he'd come from that usually meant you had to wait for one to clear out. In Sigil it meant you picked the table that had the least number of people likely to start a fight if you sat down next to them. Also, one with a seat that could accommodate a Dragon-man's larger-than-normal posterior. There was only one such place available, so that's where he went.

---

Figure we can at least say hello before we go mug the man with the map. So who's sitting at the table already?

Character Sheet posted:

Richter Cole, AKA “Coal”
& Murrazanoth, AKA “Murray” the Hellhound

Concept - Homesick American Wizard
Warden - Draw The Line Somewhere
Noir - Murphy’s Law Enforcer
Henchman - In Service To A Dragon
Omega - Demonic Co-Dependency (sig)

Modes:
+3 Warden: Athletics, Combat, Notice, Will, Evocation** (8+3)
+2 Noir: Combat, Contacts, Deceive, Empathy, Notice, Provoke, Rapport, Will (12)
+1 Henchman: Athletics, Combat, Notice, Physique, Provoke (7)

Weird Modes/Skills:

Warden is a Science Magic Mode, with Evocation Specialized.

(1) Evocation- Create Advantage: Cantrips, Basic Elements, Overcome: Teleportation

Skill Totals:
+5 Combat, Notice, Evocation
+4 Athletics, Will
+3 Provoke, (Magic)
+2 Contacts, Deceive, Empathy, Rapport
+1 Physique

Stunts: (+1 to GM Reserve)

Warden-Captain’s Sword: Magic-proof, but at a cost. Weapon:2. +1 to combat when aiding another. (mega, 2 advantages)
Demonic Co-Dependency: Signature Aspect!
Test Your Luck: Whenever you re-roll your dice, gain +1 to the final result.
Mithril Breastplate: Armor: 2
One Thing Leads To Another: When you roll to discover or uncover an Aspect with Notice, a Success With Style generates an additional Aspect instead of just an additional tag.

Stress:
Phys: ()()()()
Ment: ()()()

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Gray Lotwyver - FP: 5 / S: OOOO (P) / OOO (M) (-2/-4/-6)

*SLAM*

"Three more! And this time, give them some bite, will you?"

Putting down his eighth beer mug for the night, Gray Lotwyver sighed. It was pointless. It didn't work, never had, and never would. No matter how much he tried, he really couldn't get drunk. Somehow, the alcohol seemed to skip the buzz and launched straight into the biting headache...just what he needed when he was feeling like poo poo in the first place.

It was all so slow. He'd beaten the streets, asked dozens of old hands at the Sigil game, cashed in favors, faced down demons and angels and everything in-between, and he *still* didn't have a clue where the flamehead was hiding. It was never-ending. The city sprawl kept going on and on and there was always some other place to check out, and none of them had Red. He was too proud to quit, but that didn't mean he couldn't feel disheartened. It had been months since he'd arrived at Sigil. Months! And he still hadn't made any headway in his search.

His thoughts were interrupted by a pair taking a seat by his table. A dragonman, big and noisy, and some dweeby looking human who looked about as Clueless as Gray was clueless, without the capital C. "Great. Company. Just what I needed."

"Sorry." He managed to get out, his voice coming out low thanks to his lack of cheer...and that meant it came out girly. Of-loving-course. Why did he even bother trying to pitch it down when a slip was enough to make his voice sound sissier than a melody for crystal flute?

He bit his anger down. He really wanted to slam some idiot's face into a table, but these two guys hadn't done anything to deserve it, as far as he knew. At least he could try to be polite. "Table's taken. Maybe you should find a different place to sit down?"

Still girly. drat. Now he really needed a decent drink.

quote:

Gray Lotwyver

Concept: Child of the White Death
Crisis Bandsman: My Mother Raised Me Right
Witch Hunter: Hater of Magic, Lover of Mages
Renaissance Man: The Impossible Is My Stock In Trade
Omega: I’m Not A Girl, Dammit! (*)

Stress

Physical: OOOO
Mental: OOO

Modes

Good (+3): Crisis Bandsman (Combat, Will, Provoke, Empathy, Athletics, Deceive, Strategy) [11]
Fair (+2): Witch Hunter (Provoke, Will, Notice, Lore) [4]
Average (+1): Renaissance Man (Will, Physique, Athletics, Contacts, Notice, Lore: Philosophy, Lore: Planes) [6]

Weird Skills
Strategy
-Overcome: Outwit opposing forces, find a solution to problems that can't be solved by one man alone.
-Create Advantage: Concoct plans, prepare gambits, give people you organize some sense of direction, so long as you have some time to work their kinks out.

Skill Improvements

Combat: Specialized [3]
Lore (Arcana): Specialized [3]
Provoke: Specialized [2]
Empathy: Focused [1]

Skill Chart

Superb (+5): Combat, Will, Provoke
Great (+4): Athletics, Empathy, Lore (Arcana)
Good (+3): Deceive, Strategy, Notice, Lore (RenMan)
Fair (+2): Lore
Average (+1): Physique, Contacts

Stunts

(Total stunts: 8, +3 GM Fate Points)

Signature Aspect: I’m Not A Girl, Dammit!
Spell Tracer: When a spellcaster openly displays their abilities in your presence, instantly reveal their Concept, and any Aspects related to their spellcasting (such as vanity from controlling the primal forces of the world, or the Aspect derived from their casting modes).
The Black and White Passions: Absolutely more determined than any human (Will), but at a cost; Can declare a Brainstorm once per issue, so long as it's for the sake of putting together a clever plan and you have enough time to plan; After a planning-focused Brainstorm, can create a World Aspect. So long as everybody sticks to the previously prepared plan, players may spend FP for each other by invoking the Aspect, once per roll; When making a Combat Attack roll, increase the bonus of a free invoke you have created or a paid invoke to +4, but only once per roll. (Mega Stunt, 4 benefits)
Beyond the Bounds: Once per scene, select one physical skill. Until the end of the scene, that skill can freely exceed its recommended limits. You may change the skill affected by this stunt by spending a Fate Point to do so.
Brutal Honesty: When you inflict a mental Consequence on a target using Provoke, you can invoke it for free one additional time.

Transient People fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jul 4, 2014

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

K'irk

"Captain's Log, stardate unknown. It has been a week now since I have been separated from the Kenderprize. My return to Sigil, after obtaining temporary immortality from the hidden ringworld, was rather bittersweet. The giant Beholder, the one we had helped free from it's millennia of imprisonment inside a hollow planet, had apparently made it's way to Sigil and caused a huge amount of damage there. Upon it being discovered that I was to blame for the creatures freedom, I was forced to flee a mob in the streets. The engineering officer was unable to lock onto my position in order to teleport me away, so I chose to instead try to find a hiding place in the hopes that he could eventually obtain a lock and remove me back to the ship.

Unfortunately, what I thought was a good hiding spot was actually some kind of doorway that the locals must have known about. I stepped into a gap between two buildings... and stepped out elsewhere. Still in Sigil, but... a different Sigil. The people here seem to have a much lower technological base, far less revealing clothing, and have never even heard of the Chaos Gods. I am unsure if I have been transported through time, which is supposed to not be an entirely uncommon event in Sigil, or if I have emerged in an alternate dimension that is so far removed from my own as to have almost nothing in common besides the name of the city, the purpose of it, and the Lady who rules it. I shall continue to try and adapt to my surroundings and see if I can one day find someone with knowledge of how I could return home."

Letting go of his badge, K'irk downs another shot of firewater and grins upward at the well-endowed half-orc woman whose lap he was sitting in. The kobold is obviously out of place in his apparel, with a tight-fitting yellow shirt across his chest, no pants, and a local, if unfashionable, feathered hat sitting at a jaunty angle on his head. A slightly more stylish coat sits on the table in front of him, obviously of local manufacture and looking to be something a rich halfling might wear.

"Ok, so I've recorded my report. My rear end is covered in the offchance they send somebody to find me. But it means I've got a few weeks before I actually need to do anything about trying to get back. So what say you and I find a place we can shack up and..." The sight of a half-dragon walking into the bar, and towards his table, is enough for K'irk to stop in mid-sentence. Sure, it was flat-chested, nothing like his current companions massive rack (the kind he normally favored, especially if they were green), but the scales and the wings... "Get lost babe. I've got some other people I need to talk to. I'll find you later tonight... maybe..." Jumping free from the warm lap that he had been seated on, the waist-high captain makes his way over to the table that Coal and Veodaal were trying to sit at, and completely ignoring the unhappy human who was trying to keep her table to herself.

"Hey, mind if I take a seat with you? I'll buy a round. I love your scales, by the way. I've got a thing for hard red skin..."

Character Sheet posted:

Kobold K'irk, Former Captain of the Kenderprize

Concept: Brash Kobold Explorer of Unusual Charisma
Good: Dapper Xenophiliac
Fair: Where No K'irk Has Gone Before
Average: Careless Immortal
Omega: From A Sigil Far Far Away

Good Mode: Captain - (Will, Rapport, Vehicles, Combat, Contacts, Deceive, Empathy) - 12 points
Fair Mode: Explorer - (Notice, Will, Vehicles, Physique, Athletics) - 7 points
Average Mode: Adventurer - (Physique, Rapport, Burglary, Athletics, Empathy, Combat, Notice) - 11

+5:
+4: Will, Rapport, Vehicles, Empathy, Combat
+3: Contacts, Deceive, Notice, Physique, Athletics
+2:
+1: Burglary

Stunts and MegaStunts

Stunt: The Redshirts Always Die - Once per scene, a single attack against any character in the party may be transfered to an allied NPC of the GMs choice who is not of any major significance.

Stunt: Shining Claw - K'irk shouts out "This hand of mine glows with an awesome power; its burning grip tells me to defeat you!" and gains Weapon:2 with unarmed attacks, and his attacks burn anything they touch.

MegaStunt: That Confident Smile - Absolutely more charismatic than anyone (Rapport), at a cost

MegaStunt: Equipment Unlike Anything Seen In (This) Sigil:
Function: Awesome Gear
Flaw: Where Is The Power Outlet?
Benefits (2): Bulletproof, Weapon:2 on ranged attacks

chin up everything sucks fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jul 4, 2014

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
Father Alexander Navarre - FP:5 / P: OO / M: OOOOO / (-2/-4/-6)

Alexander leaned back in the chair opposite Gray, holding a glass of red wine in one hand as he read a thin book - a fanciful tale, to be sure, of a group known as the Starlight Band, written by a seer called Eulam about the events some thirty years ago on a Prime called Akai. Filled with wild exaggerations and far too much implausible boasting, the journal was none the less an eventful and mostly exciting tale of Eulam and his companions, a Gnoll and an Ogre, and their interdiction to assist in liberating the Prime from a tyrannical elven sorcerer overlord. If nothing else, it was at least sufficient enough to whittle away the time while his current drinking companion tried his very best to act like a dwarf.

A rather thuggish fellow by the name of Gray who he'd crossed paths with occasionally before, as anyone seeking esoteric knowledge in Sigil invariably got directed towards Alexander at some point, given his own proclivity for reading anything and everything he could get his hands on. While he was a decent enough sort most of the time, the melancholy was clearly upon Gray again, judging by the copious pile of drained tankards littering the table and his dour mood.

The Smouldering Corpse was not exactly Alex's preferred drinking establishment, but Gray was paying, and that bought a great deal of tolerance, both for his antics and the shabby state of their current location. The persistent fragrance of cooked meat, on the other hand, was best left unspoken about - this was Sigil after all, and you didn't stick your nose into something like that if you didn't want to risk getting it bitten off.

The scholarly priest looked up, above his book, peering through a pair of spectacles perched upon his nose at the two (relatively) odd fellows that had mustered up enough bravery to attempt to break through Gray's self inflicted misery. The dragonkin was clearly a knight or warrior, judging by his arms, while the lanky human seemed to defer to him - a squire or lackey, perhaps? With a broad smile, he nudged a pair of chairs away from the table with his foot.

"Ah, Gray, don't be such a miserable berk. These two fine fellows are clearly in need of refreshment, and as much as you try, you're not going to drink the barkeep's entire stockpile in one night. Trust me, he paid me a fair few jinx last week to count it all." Turning to the newcomers, he waved for them to take the offered seats, "Greetings and salutations, Sir Knight, please join us. It is a pleasure to meet you. Name's Alexander. You appear to have seen battle, Sir, perhaps you could regale us with a tale?"

quote:

Father Alexander Navarre

Aspects
Concept: The Wandering Priest of Oghma
Mode 1(Cleric of Knowledge): The Light of Knowledge
Mode 2(Orator): The Shoulder Everybody Cries On
Mode 3(Traveller): The Long and Weary Road
Omega: The Thrill of Adventure

Stress
Physical: OO
Mental: OOOOO

Skill Modes

Cleric of Knowledge, +3 [3]: Divine Magic, Lore, Will
Orator, +2[9]: Contacts, Deceive, Empathy, Provoke, Rapport, Will
Traveller, +1[9]: Athletics, Combat, Contacts, Notice, Physique, Rapport, Will

Improvements: Specialize Divine Magic[3], Focus Lore, The Planes[1], Specialize Athletics [3], Focus Lore, Arcana[1], Focus Lore, Religion[1]

Weird Skills:
Divine Magic [1]: Create Advantage: Blessings, Overcome: Magical Defenses & Wards, Attack: Holy Magic
Lore: Science, Reskinned.

Stunts
Clerical Magic (Megastunt, 3 benefits)
-Armour of Faith: Armour:1, but at a cost.
-Cure Wounds: Once per scene, may use Divine Magic to restore an ally in the same zone. Roll Divine Magic, the number of successful shifts is the number of stress boxes recovered.
-Mass Blessing: Once per scene, may roll Divine Magic vs Difficulty 3. Each success (up to four), gives a single ally (not self) that blessing with a free tag. Each ally may gain only a single blessing, and the free invokes are non-transferable.

Counselor(Empathy): +2 to Empathy to remove mental consequences from allies or friends.

Practical Archeology(Notice): +2 to Notice to discover something about the environment where said environment is a building or structure.

Unassuming Clergyman(Deceive): +2 to Deceive when bluffing if the target believes you are a simple itinerant priest.

Warding Magic(Divine Magic): May use Divine Magic in place of Burglary to secure a location.

ChrisAsmadi fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 4, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Xheina van der Worrt
FP OOOOO / P OO / M OOOOO / (-2/-4/-6)

"Ooh! A story! I love stories."

It's not entirely clear when Xheina arrived. It shouldn't be possible for someone who dresses and acts as loudly as she does to just pop up like that, but she has a knack for arriving just on time. On time for what, is anyone's guess. She leans on her elbows, seated backwards on a chair at the table, two legs off the floor. Her multicolored red and black hair is in its usual artfully disheveled state, and her dress and robe look like she picked them out of her wardrobe with her eyes closed, but somehow the effect isn't entirely a disaster. Her staff is held in the crook of her arm. It's about her height and made of wood and banded with metal, but that's all that can be certain - the details seem to change every time someone looks at it.

"Hi Father Navarre! Is Grey still mad at me? You shouldn't, Your hair looked great like that! Purple really sets off your eyes." She lets her chair drop back onto all four legs and hops up, skipping over to look over Coal and Veo unabashedly. Without an apparent transition, her staff is now a magnifying glass she peers at them through. "Hmmmmmmmmmm. Dragonkin knight, hopeless quest, lost love - booooring." She turns to Coal. "You're interesting! Bringing a sword along too? That's a bold strategy, Navarre, let's see how it works out for him!" She sniffs, then looks at the drink. "Ah ha! You're one behind those Koala drinks!" She plucks the cherry out of the drink and sticks it her in mouth - never mind it having dissolved. "I can't stand them!" she adds brightly before twirling away, nearly tripping over the kobold.

"Hey who put you there? This is clearly a designated twirling zone." She frowns for a second, then shrugs and hops back to her chair. "So are you all here for the bar fight too?"

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Xheina van der Worrt

Concept: Just Your Friendly Neighborhood Wild Mage
Banter: Random Acts of Friendship
Xaositect: Reasons Are For Chumps!
Action: Chance Encounters
Omega: Wombats!

Skills:
pre:
		Xaositect (+3)		Banter (+2)		Intrigue (+1)
Superb (+5)	Will
Great (+4)	Notice
Good (+3)	Fractals		Contacts, Rapport,	Combat
					Empathy
Fair (+2)				Deceive, Provoke
Average (+1)							Athletics, Burglary
								Physique
Xaositect Mode: Science with magic; unimproved sciences are called Fractals.
Improvements: Specialized Combat, Focused Contacts, Rapport,

Stunts:

Butterfly Effect: When you invoke an aspect you created at least two pages ago, you get a +3 instead of the usual +2.

Emergentism: +2 to all Magic skills during a brainstorm when developing your own hypothesis instead of cooperating with everyone else.

Strange Attractor: Absolutely better at making friends than a normal person, but weak to cute girls. When you try to locate someone with Contacts, you will always find the right person, but at a cost.

Wild Magic: When you invoke an aspect to reroll a Magic skill, roll six Fate dice and keep the best four Fate dice for your results.

Prima Materia:

quote:

Function: Chaos Magic Staff
Flaw: Highly Unstable

Chaos Bolt: +1 to Combat when using Chaos Magic, Weapon:2. Weapon:6, but at a cost.
Reckless Dweomer: When you successfully create an advantage with Magic using the Prima Materia, you may add an additional free invoke if you let the GM name it.
Rod of Wonder: The Prima Materia can be transformed into virtually any mundane tool, weapon, or small object at will. It can be turned into minor magical items with a Fate Point.

(Total benefits: 9 - 5 = 4 fate points to the GM’s reserve.)

Stress
Physical OO
Mental OOOOO

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 5, 2014

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Veodaal - FP: 5

Veo blinks (twice, sort-of, what with the nictitating membranes and all) at Gray's rudeness. "Well, no," he replies, nostrils flaring slightly, "we really can't. If you wanted to be alone, then why did you take a booth seat?" He sets the ewer of kola wine and iced glasses on the table.

"The table is free," Veo assures K'irk over Gray's protests to the contrary, "but I am spoken for." His clawtip taps the red-enameled locket at his throat, almost invisible against his scales. It's not some adventurer's talisman at all, and definitely has the look of something officious. "Awfully forthright, to proposition someone you've only just met, aren't you?" The dragon looks bemusedly down at the flamboyant kobold, who stands almost to his own knee. "I mean, considerations of propriety notwithstanding, I should think that the logistics alone would pose an insurmountable obstacle."

"I'm afraid that as heroic tales go, this one is remarkably-succinct," he answers the scholar. "Something that looked too good to be true was, in fact, just that. The guilty party now bears an uncanny resemblance to that-" Veo points to the bar's namesake, "only not quite so...lively."

And then the tiny madwoman happens upon them (or just happens, really). "No, we've just done violence," Veo tilts his head as he reaches for a glass. "We're here for at least a couple of rounds before we do any more." Drinking in Sigil could be such a complicated affair. Sit down at any given bar, and you'd have random strangers just lining up to tell you their stories, why the worlds are the way they are, and if you gainsay any of their babbling, out come the sharp objects. "Well, fine then," Veo sighs in resignation. "If that's the price of relaxing a bit longer, let's all tell tales. And since mine is so evidently tiresome," his slitted eyes narrow at Xheina, "let's hear yours first."

Character Sheet posted:

Prince Veodaal of House Rekkem

Concept - Half a Dragon, Half a Knight
Dragon - Sinew and Claw and Fiery Maw
Crown Prince - The Aristocrats!
Exile - They Fight Crime. Ish.
Omega - The Wyrm of La Mancha

Modes:
+3 Dragon: Athletics, Combat, Deceive, Notice, Physique, Provoke, Will (10)
+2 Crown Prince: Combat, Contacts, Empathy, Heraldry, History, Physique, Provoke, Rapport, Will (10)
+1 Exile: Combat, Contacts, Physique, Provoke, Rapport (6)

Improvements:
Focus Athletics (1), Focus Empathy (1), Specialize Rapport (2)

Non-Standard Skills:
(0) Heraldry - Science skill, pertaining to knowledge of noble etiquette, crests, and bloodlines
(0) History - Science skill, those without it are doomed to repeat it

Skill Totals:
+5 Combat, Physique, Provoke
+4 Athletics, Rapport, Will
+3 Contacts, Deceive, Empathy, Notice
+2 Heraldry, History

Stunts: (+2 to GM reserve)

Strength of Legend: Absolutely stronger than any human, but at a cost; Weapon: 2 with attacks where physical strength is a factor (Mega, 2 benefits)
Fire in the Blood: Fireproof, but weak to cold; Weapon: 4, or Weapon: 6 but at a cost (Mega, 3 benefits)
Scales and Wings and Dragon-y Things: Armor: 2; Can fly, moving vertically without assistance or horizontally without stable ground (Mega, 2 benefits)

Stress
Physical: OOOO
Mental: OOO

Thesaurasaurus fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jul 5, 2014

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

"Not here." This time, Gray was a little more insistent. "There's business getting done in this place. No offense, but I'd rather nobody else overheard it if I can help it. Private matter. Can't you come back in ten minutes? We'll give you the table afterward." They could take the kobold, too. He seemed like he had some business with the big dragonman. That left one more person, though...

"Xheina. Long time no see." Gray didn't sigh, didn't grouse, and didn't get mad. Well, mostly. She was a Barker, and a committed one, and that meant it'd seeped right into the core of her being. Not her fault that the...condition she suffered from had purpled his hair when she let it loose. For once he'd been glad that it grew up entirely too fast. He'd only had to wear a hat to hide the bald head for a few weeks, at most.

"Not mad anymore. Just no more hair tricks, please? I like it the way it is. Really. How's life been treating you? Not too busy, right?" She wouldn't go around sharing details of his search with anyone who might care. In her own way, in spite of her strangeness, she was good people. No reason she couldn't stick around until she got bored and moved on to the next thing. The others, though... "So? What's it going to be? You're not going to stick around to snoop, are you?" He asked, giving the dragonman and the dweeby guy a long, long look.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Coal

The Warden's smile at Xheina was genuine, if a bit pained. "Well aren't you a perceptive young lady." Under his breath, he added: "Spirits, how many crazy red-heads are there in this city? And why do they always find me?"

If Gray looked up sharply at him, he pretended not to notice.

He contemplated the rotating, flaming corpse in front of the hearth and took a sip of Kola. "I think that one's still got a head on his shoulders, Veo. Ours didn't. Or was that the second guy, the one with the hook swords?" He thought about it. "Wait... maybe it was the one with the scimitars." He shook his head. "It was one of them, anyway."

He sighed and rotated his shoulder. It was sore. Being thrown through a wall could do that to you. "Look, if you want to do sneaky private business, then there's a perfectly good alley in the back." Coal pointed at Alex, who was grinning. "But he's not doing business, and that's one too many empty mugs in front of you for you to be doing any business either if you ask me. If you don't want to talk we won't bother you, but we're not going anywhere until we get some food in us. It's not snooping if you do your business in a public venue."

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"Not their fault they're idjits. Don't get mad. Keep your cool. Keep your cool..."

"Ugh, but...ah, whatever, you know what? Just do what you want and get out of here." Leaning back on his chair, Gray raised a gauntleted hand to his head and nursed it, as what felt like the beginnings of a pounding headache began to develop. So much for an opportunity to ask about Red to the sage. Fat chance of that working now that-

"Wait a second. Father? I didn't know you worked for the gods." Gray said, raising his voice. If Navarre was actually a mage, then he'd been wasting his time. There was nothing useful he could tell him. Suddenly, he was looking at Alexander very intently. There were ways to tell when a man knew some magic. If he slipped up and revealed anything, he'd know. And then this meeting would be over.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Xheina van der Worrt

Xheina interrupts, which is a phrase those around her get used to. "Pfft, no. I just call him that because he looks like my father." She squints at him. "I think! Anyway he reminds me of him, or would, and anyways he's good people even if he's predictable."

She grins and turns back to Veo. "I didn't say you were here to participate! You might just be here to watch it. But don't worry, I think there's time for another drink before it really gets going, that guy over there hasn't accidentally said anything racially insulting quite yet."

"As for my story - I'm Xheina van der Worrt, nice to meet you! I'm the long lost heir of the great house of van der Worrt, accomplished practitioners of the occult arts fallen on hard times due to an unlikely combination of curses, allergies, and economic disruption. My parents drowned while on holiday on Ysgard and I grew up under the care of a fisherwoman until one day a prince came! He was a real jerk and I turned him into a newt. A wandering wild mage saw it, and knew who I must be, and thus I returned to my rightful inheritance! Which mostly consisted of a rundown house and debts, but I got to learn wild magic and hang out with fun people so it's fine."

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"So in other words, she's a Barker, in case it wasn't clear enough." Gray said, sighing. Maybe he was getting a little too paranoid. "Her name IS Xheina, if it helps any. I can't say whether the rest is true or not, because she's a different person every day. They all just have the same face." A small smile pulled up the corners of his lips. "I'm not sure we qualify as fun people, though. A grouch, a bookish sage, and two people you've never met before make poor company I think."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Xheina van der Worrt

"Don't forget the lovestruck kobold! The ingredients could use some work, but I've got a good feeling about this. The odds are in my favor."

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

Alexander grins at Xheina's sudden appearance, stowing the book in a pocket of his battered leather travelling coat and waving to the mad sorceress. "Lady's grace, Xheina. What's the chant?" he asks in the street cant commonly spoken by folks raised in Sigil.

He smiles and winks slyly at her deflection, "Y'know, the Athar would say that no man works for the gods, rather, he is fooled into acting in their name. As I told you, Gray, I'm a Loreseeker and a scholar. I wander about, reading books and helping folks. Teaching them where I can, too. Besides, you grumpy berk, someone who you've never met is just a friend you don't know well enough to call a friend yet!"

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

K'irk - FP: 5->6

Waving off the half-dragons rejection with a grin, K'irk found himself missing a part of the conversation as he went to fetch a bar maid to place an order for the table. He had learned from experience that the bar-maids tended to overlook somebody of his stature in this backwards version of Sigil.

Arriving back at the table just in time to catch the rambling womans story, and the response, the ever-smiling kobold utters a barking laugh as he claims his seat again, his head barely over the edge of the table. "Of course I'm fun. Of course, Mr half-dragon here is apparently too human to test that out. Still, I had a fifty-fifty chance that he'd have some of the dragon-sides sense of adventure. Pity. So, how about you, crazy one? Interested in having an adventure with someone half your height? Maybe you and I could team up to make this grumpy girl less grumpy!" The grinning face of the kobold makes it hard to tell if he is serious or not, but the arrival of the bar-maid, and the booze, seems to temporarily distract him as he takes the small stein that is set in front of him and starts drinking.

Compelling Dapper Xenophiliac, and Gray has been called a girl!

chin up everything sucks fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 6, 2014

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Now Gray really couldn't resist the urge to smile. Somebody who was blowing up their balloon so blatantly was just asking to get it blown. "I know, I know, you're a real angel unaware. One of a kind, honestly. So about that thing we were talking about, do you have any ideas or...?" He didn't need to elaborate further. He'd already told Alexander what he knew, now it was up to the 'Loreseeker'...no, the 'undercover angel', to put together some sort of reasonable conjecture.

Of course, that suddenly stopped mattering when K'irk opened his mouth. It was a curious thing. Somehow, Gray's whole body seemed to turn, even though he never left his chair, until he was giving K'irk a fixed, deathly glare. It had nothing to do with the way he'd looked at Alexander previously. That look had carried scorn, but this...this was a look of danger. The room temperature around Gray seemed to drop twenty degrees the instant his eyes locked on K'irk.

"What did you just call me?" He asked. He didn't raise his voice. He didn't really move, much. He just made it very, very clear how cross he was. "You get one shot, lizard. gently caress this up, and I'm sending you flying through a window, swear on my old man's grave I will. Don't waste your chance to apologize and run now."

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

-Coal- FP:5, Phys: OOOO, Ment: OOO

Coal raised an eyebrow at Navarre's dodge. He'd been sensitive to holy power since bonding with Murray, and he had a feeling that the scholar was more of a priest than he was letting on. Xheina might be a Barker but she hadn't been making all of that up. He would have bet another cherry on it. But that thought was interrupted by the re-arrival of the very forward Kobold.

"You're really not picky, are you?" He asked, giving K'irk a concerned look. "Why don't you leave the lady out of things, I think she's had a bad day."

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

K'irk - FP: 6

Putting his drink back down on the table in front of him, which causes it to almost completely obscure his face, K'irk raises his hands into the air in a gesture of surrender. "Calm down, calm down. I'm sorry, I didn't know that calling a lady grumpy was so offensive here. I'm not from this Sigil, only been in this version for a few days now. Or was it the offer for a threesome that was offensive? I'm not really clear on where I went wrong."

chin up everything sucks fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 6, 2014

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Gray Lotwyver - FP: 5 -> 7 / S: OOOO (P) / OOO (M) (-2/-4/-6)

That did it.

Slowly, methodically, Gray stood up and shook his head. Instantly, the headache vanished. "I don't think you're getting it, pipsqueak. One, I don't share. If I'm going after someone, everybody else better get out of the way."

Then, he rolled his head, feeling bones and muscles snap into place, before glaring at Coal. "Two, nobody called for your help, dweeb. I already told you to stay out of my business, in case you didn't get the memo before. Do you really have this little game or are you just slow?"

He looked at K'irk, then at Coal, then back to K'irk again, staring daggers. "And three?" When he spoke again, his voice was much, much less feminine, rougher and lower-pitched.

And then suddenly, Gray's hand shot forward and grabbed K'irk's.

"Don't."

Lifting him up like he didn't weigh a pound, he spun him above his head like a top...

"Call."

Scanning the bar, his eyes searched for a target...

"ME."

...And found Coal, who still hadn't gotten up yet. Suddenly, Gray's previously grouchy face broke into an extremely wide, savage grin.

"A GIRL! HEY, rear end in a top hat! CATCH!"

And suddenly, an ultra-high-speed Kobold Torpedo went flying, unerringly cutting through the air towards a very surprised Richter Coal.

Ohhhhh, you done did it now! That's enough to push Gray way, way over the edge, and he takes the compel on I'm Not A Girl, Dammit! gladly to earn two fate points and start a bar fight. He rolls to grapple K'irk and gets a +7 (//++), which beats K'irk's defense narrowly by 1, and then Coal has to defend against The Incredible Flying Kobold. As for what happens next, well...

Transient People fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 6, 2014

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

-Coal- FP:5->6, Phys: OOOO, Ment: OOO, "The Incredible Flying Kobold"

Compelling "Murphy's Law Enforcer" to end up pissing off as many of the meanest customers at the bar as I can.

Coal caught K'irk alright. Like a cannonball to the chest. The Warden's chair flipped on impact, throwing the pair of them onto the next table over, where a group of dwarves were sharing a pitcher of ale and fried potatoes. The rickety table collapsed under their combined weight. As the ale went flying the dwarves jumped up, which knocked over the table of a pair of tieflings out for a romantic evening, and then the fire really started flying.

"LADY, YOU GOT ISSUES!" Coal yelled over the rapidly spreading massive brawl as he pulled himself out of the potatoes, rolling to the side just in time to dodge a dwarven axe that would have probably taken his head off.

----

I'm preserving this in it's entirety. The universe really does have it out for Cole, in all his incarnations:

[17:32] <ConstantPeople> It's time for Coal to defend against The Incredible Flying Kobold
[17:32] <DroidAsmadi7> Here comes a ---- for Coal's first roll
[17:33] <ConstantPeople> WATCH THIS MAN FLY
[17:33] <mistaya> haha what am i defending with
[17:33] <mistaya> i guess athletics since i dont want to smash him out of the air
[17:33] <mistaya> !r fudge +4
[17:33] <Krysmbot> mistaya, ---- +4 = 0
[17:34] <mistaya> holy poo poo

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Xheina van der Worrt

"Sorry, you're not my type!" Xheina calls after K'irk as he goes flying by. She leans over towards Veo. "See? What did I tell you. If only people would listen, we could skip all the boring bits and get right to the fun. I guess you are going to be participating though. Good luck, you're gonna need it!" With that, she ducks under the table.

"Hey Alexander. Pardon me, got some business to attend to!"

Creating an advantage with Fractal. Probably doesn't hit with this roll, but calling it Totally Called That if it works. (Originally was doing it as Provoke but the way I did it really didn't make sense for that, as TransientPeople pointed out to me.)
[22:07] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, -+/-+3 = 2

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 6, 2014

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Bar Fight! - Smoldering Corpse Bar

The Clueless Berk is waving his map in the barman's face, drunkenly slurring his words as he continues to try and get a drink in exchange for the map. A trio of dwarves are enjoying their fried potatoes and ale, while a pair of tiefling nearby are sampling some of the fancier drinks and ordering more upscale food, or as upscale as the Smoldering Corpse Bar gets, meanwhile some abishai are sitting down across the way on leave from the Blood War.

Or at least that was how things were a moment ago.

Then K'irk called Gray a girl, twice, and Coal followed suit. Then K'irk went flying, into Coal, and they both bowled into the dwarves. Who were quite upset by this. And quite intent on extracting retribution except that in their haste to get at the offensive human and kobold they upset their drinks, which went flying into the pair of tiefling, soaking them in the strong liquor. An axe goes flying toward Coal, only to miss and clang off of a Mercykiller's armor as The Red Death entered the bar. The rising tiefling couple quickly catch fire, their table being too close to the smoldering corpse in the center of the bar and they are feeling inclined to share the flames sending fire blasting across the bar. One gout smashes into Veodaal, to no effect, and another slams into one of the abishai who up until that point had been laughing at the chaos, but now they are getting involved.

Soon the entire bar is filled with fighting, or customers trying to get out of it without getting involved. The whole place is pandemonium. The Clueless Berk is quite shocked at what is going on, as the events are enough to draw his attention. The barman sighs, and heads into the back room.

Added aspect Pandemonium!

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

"No, that's-" *Clang!* "not what I was saying-" *Thunk!* "at all. You're misrepresenting-" *BOOM!* "my intentions, and if I could just finish my drink, I'd-" *FWOOSH!*

A jet of searing hellfire puts an end to that train of thought, knocking Veo's goblet from his hand and its contents onto his doublet, which promptly ignites in a flash of burning alcohol. The flames char away a fist-sized swath of fabric, exposing the (completely-fireproof) scales beneath before Veo can smother them with his hand.

And he'd just had it mended after Al's mishap with the wand.

*ROOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAR!!!* The reverberating scream of fury briefly drowns out the chaos of the tavern, just as the flash of white-hot flame momentarily casts the everburning corpse into wan relief.

Provoke /-++ +5 = 6 to be the scariest of them all.

Veo's taloned hand lashes forward and seizes Gray by the gorget. "BOOTHS ARE FOR PARTIES." He lifts the man like a ragdoll. "IF YOU WANT TO DRINK BY YOURSELF..." Veo storms over to the bar, Gray in tow. "SEAT YOURSELF AT THE GODS-DAMNED COUNTER!"

Veo's arm swings down. He seats Gray at the counter. And through the counter. And into the cellar.

Physique -//+ +5 AND Absolutely Stronger than Any Human to relocate Mr. Grumpypants. Gray rolls Athletics: -+/+ +4 = 5, tie. Gonna call the Boost "Meddle Not With Happy Hour."

Thesaurasaurus fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 7, 2014

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

"You're as barmy as ever, Xheina!" retorts Alexander, ducking as a flying pewter tankard narrowly misses his head and hits the wall with a loud thunk, embedding itself in a wood panel. With a shudder, he clumsily slides down his chair and under the table, somehow holding his wine glass perfectly steady - until a rampaging dwarf knocks the table, at any rate, the shuddering vibration knocking his arm, his red wine splattering onto the floorboards.

With a look of dismay and a sigh, he pokes his head above the table edge, grabs the half-finished bottle of wine from earlier and ducks down again as a plate spins through the air above like a discus from some athletic competition.

ChrisAsmadi fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 7, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Xheina van der Worrt

"What? I'm insulted! I'll have you know I'm twice as barmy as that." Xheina moves over and points over towards the bar. "I'm here for the map he has, and I don't want him to know I'm the one who ended up with it. Think you can give me a hand relieving him of it?"

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Gray Lotwyver - FP: 7 / S: OOOO (P) / OOO (M) (-2/-4/-6)

Gray was rolling with the blow even before he'd finished slamming against the first obstacle, and it helped take what would have been multiple broken bones into some light bruises. It still hurt like hell to be tossed around by a dragonman, but it sure beat being left on the floor with ivory bits sticking out through his skin.

"gently caress that!" He said as he stood up and glared at Veodaal through the hole in the ground. "You don't get to come to my table, insult me right in my face and then get mad if I decide you need to be taught some manners, pal! That dweeb that came with you and the little rat are going to pay for calling me a girl!" For a moment, he considered drawing his weapons, but decided against it. The dragonman hadn't done anything wrong besides come to the defense of his friend. Gray assumed a fighting stance, but kept his hands away from the hilts.

"Look, this isn't your business and I don't have a problem with you. I just want to find the two idiots who thought it'd be funny to insult me and show them what they've got coming to them. We can do this the right way, or we can do this the rough way. What's it gonna be, big guy?"

Transient People fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 7, 2014

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Coal didn't really want to fight anyone, but the upset dwarf table was pretty intent on fighting Coal. He dodged a few punches and hammers, looking for his sword. The blade was too long to sit down with so he'd propped it up against his chair, which was... probably being used as a bludgeoning tool somewhere.

Aha! There it was, under the table with Alexander and Xheina. The only sane people in the place, apparently. (For a given value of sane.)

Coal waited for another throwing axe to come his way before he very suddenly was not there anymore. (The axe kept going until it bounced off an armored chest and the dwarves suddenly had a very irate Mercykiller to distract them.) He reappeared with a soft poof under the table, grabbing his sword but leaving it sheathed.

"I just wanted a sandwich." he said to Alexander, pulling his hood up and trying to find Veo in the chaos.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

Alexander turns around to check that Gray is indeed distracted by the dragon knight. With a smile, he nods, closes his eyes. Sticking his hand inside his coat onto a hidden talisman, he incants a brief, quiet prayer in an odd, almost angelic tongue - the mere act of hearing it seems to make those in earshot seem warmer, more positive. Ceasing the chant, he taps Xheina on the shoulder, releasing the energy. As the prayer's spell takes effect, she feels more nimble and quick, as fast and as balanced as any alley cat as it leaps from rooftop to rooftop.

"That should help. Just try to grab it without permanently damaging the berk this time, maybe?"

Turning to Coal, he grins, "So what're you then, the knight's lackey or his squire?"

((Divine Magic(+5), Create Aspect "Cat's Grace" on Xheina: -+-/ +5 = +4))

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Xheina van der Worrt

"Thanks! Hey, let me borrow that," she snags the wine bottle from Alexander as well and slips out from the table. "See you in a bit!"

She ducks as a dwarf goes flying by, then works her way towards the bar. She seems to know just where to step to avoid the escalating chaos, and avoid the attention of the man with the map. Better be quick before the bartender comes back with whatever he's getting out of the back to put an end to the fun.

When she gets close, she ducks behind a table for a second, and waits for the guy to look the other way. Fortunately he seems pretty bemused by the whole bar fight thing. Must not be a regular. She slips out of cover and puts the bottle on the bar, taps him on the shoulder, stepping around to stay out of view as he naturally fixates on the bottle, and lifts the map. Then it's a quick scurry away and a dive back under the table.

"Bought and paid for! Anonymously even! Thank's Alexander. Now we just need..." She looks Coal up and down. "Hey, looking for an adventure?"

Burglary to swap things! Invoking Cat's Grace to make it a 4, will invoke Totally Called That to make it a 6 if I have to.
[19:36] <Krysmbot> Grubbash, ++-/+1 = 2

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

"Have a care," Veo growls softly from the other side of the hole. "You are speaking of my squire and my friend. If he has given insult, I will take responsibility for it...and if you give him another insult, you shall take responsibility for that. It would behoove you to reconsider in this matter." The dragonman stoops, offering Gray a hand and a lift.

"As for the handsy little lech, I've no concern one way or the other. Do with him as you like."

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"Looks like he knows people with some sense, at least." Gray muttered, quietly. The dweeb hadn't exactly made a good impression on him, but the dragonman's appeal mollified him, at least a little bit. "In that case, I'll give him a chance to say sorry. If he blows it, though, the one who's gonna go flying next time is him, not the little guy." Taking Veo's offer, Gray emerged from the cellar and back into the brawl. "Now let's go get that pair and see what they have to say for themselves. Let's hope your friend's better at catching social cues than he seems to be."

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

With Alexander

"Hey!" Coal protested. "Henchman, not lackey. Lackey is so impersonal. We're friends too, you know?"

“Friends are always handy,” said Alex with a smile, “So if he’s got a henchman, what’s he trying to conquer or rule?”

“Some country called Edu-Sarminan, I think. But not until he’s done enough hero-ing to prove he’s worthy. Xheina's right, it is a long boring story. We met on a job, been partners (sort of) ever since.”

Noticing the blessing bestowed on the wild mage before she departed, Coal smirked. "I had a feeling you weren't just a wandering scholar, padre. What's Miss Walking Grenade got against godly folk?"

“I said I was a Loreseeker. It’s hardly my fault if Gray doesn’t know about obscure itinerant orders, really,” Alex said with a shrug and a sly wink, “As for Gray, well, Gray seems to have problems with pretty much every type of folk. Possibly some trees, too, I haven’t asked.”

Xheina returned with the map and her offer of adventure.

"I usually don't go looking for Adventures. They find me on their own. Case in point." Coal winced at the approaching Gray. Not wanting to face whatever the white-haired warrior had in mind on his knees, he crawled out from under the table and stood up. And then ducked under a flying chair, before standing up again.

He had one hand on the hilt of his sword, the over-sized blade held sheathed in the other. Coal wasn't going to start swinging at a girl (even one who really deserved it) but he was more than willing to defend himself.

"Was all this really necessary?" he asked.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"What would you do if someone walked up to your table, got all cozy with you even when you said you were really not up for company and then just up and called you a limp-wristed fuckwit?" Gray said, crossing his hands in front of his chest. "Do you have any idea how little respect I get? It's been a bad week, and I'm not in the mood for dealing with people who can't see what's good with their own two eyes and act accordingly." Hooking his thumb, he gave Veo a sideways look. "Thank your friend that I'm not coming down on you like a ton of bricks. He said I should give you a chance to apologize. So why don't you put that big pointy stick down and take back what you said? Say you're sorry and we'll call it even."

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

-Coal- FP:6, Phys: OOOO, Ment: OOO, "The Incredible Flying Kobold"
With Gray

"I never say I'm sorry unless I understand what I'm apologizing for." Coal said, slinging the greatsword over his shoulder. He sidestepped a goblin running past with his hair on fire. "I like it to mean something. You're the one who's been calling names, not me."

“Come on now. You really haven’t noticed?” Catching a mug soaring through the air, Gray threw it back at the thug who’d sent it flying. “Hope all the sharpness didn’t go to that stick of yours instead of your head. Think back to what you said for a second and ask yourself why I’d be mad, will you?”

“It’s not a stick!” There were very few things Coal would go to bat for, but Captain Bellworth was one of them. Her sword had saved his life more times than he could count and been the only way he could channel his magic for weeks. It was his strongest link to home. Hearing Gray insult it so casually just rubbed him the wrong way.

“Ah, so that’s what gets you fired up, eh? Now you’re in the frame of mind I was. Maybe you can start thinking about what you did and get why it was a problem now. And move to your right, NOW.” Gray said, as several arrows flew towards them.

Coal didn’t bother sidestepping he just dropped and the arrows thunked into the wall where he’d been just a second before. “I still don’t know what the f-” He stopped, and peered up at Gray with his eyes narrowed. Smacked himself in the forehead, then looked back at Alex and Xheina, grinning at him from under the table. “Oh, please don’t tell me this is all because I called him a Lady. I don’t think the Kobold even CARED!

Notice to figure out what's been bugging grumpy Gray: +-+/ +5 = 6!

mistaya fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 7, 2014

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

K'irk - FP: 6

Being thrown through the air was a rather new experience, K'irk thought in the moment it took for him to impact with Coal's chest. Of course, the abrupt stop and sudden tumble made it rather more unpleasant than he was used to, and left him rather stunned, as well as underneath a flipped over table. By the time he had regained his wits, the dashing kobold found himself in the midst of a bar fight, and very confused. The lady who had thrown him was missing, the crazy girl was holding a map, and... oh, the angry girl was back and talking again, demanding an apology.

"Wait, she is a he? Oh. Yeah, I don't really care. Slaanesh encourages us to try everything. I do admit to liking the ladies more, but lack of breasts, or extra breasts, isn't a huge deal. I just thought that... oh, right, you guys haven't heard of Slaanesh here. No gender-bending blessings. Alright, alright. I am sorry I called you a female, I'm new to this version of Sigil, and the rules here seem to work differently."

Having dragged himself out from under the table, the small-statured K'irk makes his way back to the original table and tries to hide amongst the taller people who were standing around. "And if nobody here is interested, I suppose I should leave you be. Unless one of you maybe knows how to find other versions of Sigil?"

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"Alternate versions of-" Gray suddenly stopped speaking, snapped his fingers, and stomped the ground. "I knew all that 'Center of the Multiverse' crap was a crock of poo poo! Dammit...so she could be in Sigil, but not THIS Sigil...just what I needed. As if the planes weren't big enough, there's probably alternate versions of them somewhere." Suddenly, all energy seemed to leave him and he slumped to the ground, defeated. "Why the hell do I even bother? You can't find jack poo poo in this loving world without being a cheat. Shoulda known I was an idiot for taking the hard way. gently caress..." The word came out without even a hint of conviction. He looked completely lost now.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

-Coal- FP:6, Phys: OOOO, Ment: OOO

"Alternate versions of-" Coal said at precisely the same time as Gray, but instead of moping he just looked excited. He wanted to talk more to K'irk about it but the raging bar fight wasn't really making it easy.

(*Something about the way the Kobold had said 'gender-bending blessings' sent a small shiver up his spine, but he was too focused to pay it any attention.)

He kicked over one of the remaining tables, pulling it close to make a miniature fort out of their still-standing table. Arrows, mugs, and the occasional fireball bounced off the hardened wood, but they had a little space to talk now.

He waited for the white-haired youth to finish sulking before speaking again. "Now, hold on a minute." he said from the safety of Fort Table. "If you're looking for someone, then wouldn't they exist in all of the alternate versions of Sigil? Unless they were never born there or they died for some reason. And it's way more likely they never stumbled into another Sigil to begin with. If there even are other Sigils."

He looked at K'irk. "It's not that I doubt your story, but I want to ask a few more questions about-"

---
(*)Cole Prime would later spend about a week (or a year, our time) under a curse of a similar nature.
PS: Somebody interrupt him or he'll go on all night.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Xheina van der Worrt

"Enough questions!" Xheina cuts in, hopping up onto a chair and braving the slings and arrows of the continuing fight behind her. "You berks all look like someone told you puppies aren't real - they aren't by the way, it's a conspiracy - and are in serious need of perking up! Fortunately I have just the thing!" She unrolls the map, though she does make sure her body blocks it from the view of the bar in general.

"Adventure! I don't know where this map is of, but I promise it will lead you to what you're looking for!" She hops down the chair, and throws her arms out to encompass the group. "Think of the potential! You've already broken the all-Sigil record for quickest barroom brawl by an adventuring company. I make it about minus six minutes from time of formation! And unless I miscounted, there are at least five dark secrets, two allusions to mysterious unnamed individuals of dubious character, two strangers in a strange land, and an exiled heir. That's better than a one-to-one ratio of potential shocking revelations in store."

She grins and puts her hands on her hips. "That's the makings of the best adventuring company I've ever heard of. Legendary even! We can't possibly pass up an opportunity like this!"

"So, who's in?"

Placing the aspect Call to Adventure with Rapport.
[19:28] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, /+-/+3 = 3

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Gray shook his head, cutting through the questions Coal was about to ask. "Nah. That's not how the planes work, pal. Infinity's a bitch, not a friend." Looking up, he glanced at K'irk and raised a finger to point at him. "You haven't seen hide or hair from him before today, right? That's because if he's not lying to us, he didn't exist in this world." He sighed. "I can't believe it's possible for other Sigils to exist. If she knows about that, then I can't catch her. I don't even know where to start looking for ways to jump from world to world. drat...why does finding this one girl have to be so hard?"

Xheina's offer went completely unheeded, though not unnoticed. For a moment, Gray felt the bile at his throat rise, and was tempted to reply. An adventuring company? The heck did he need that for? Nobody cared about somebody else's problem, much less strangers he'd only just met. They had their own problems to take care of without taking on someone else's burden, especially when that burden seemed to get heavier day by day.

He shook his head. Moping would get him nowhere. His search had gotten harder, and that meant he needed to get sharper in turn. Best start looking for answers. "Xander, I don't s'pose you got any clue what the pipsqueak's talking about, right? How do you get from Sigil to Another Sigil?" The others could hear the capitals in the words as Gray asked his question. He needed some direction now. If he couldn't find it, he wasn't sure what he'd do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

"If you must shorten it, Alex, please," said Alexander, his mirthful mood cracking for a brief moment with narrowed eyes and a tinge of annoyance in his voice. Composing himself, he continued, like a teacher lecturing a student on a favourite subject, "It has been theorized by the occasional berk - usually some explorer who's completely wonky, mind, raving about some impossible trip - that access to entirely new and unseen dimensions is possible, but the majority of these tales seem to involve the Deep Shadow, not Sigil. But then again, nobody except Her truly understands exactly how Sigil's portals work, and the kobold is here, so it's entirely possible."

Alexander reached behind his chair, grabbing a short gladius sheathed in a fairly new (at least in comparison to his weather-worn coat) black leather sheath and places it on the table at Xheina's hips, "You have my sword for the quest, Xheina!" he exclaimed, excitedly.

ChrisAsmadi fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 8, 2014

• Locked thread