Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Also the Spanish-American war was an incredibly transparent land grab even for the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
What's the watermelon thing about.
I'd search for it, but I know "Watermelon Obama" is probably not going to return the results I'd like...

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I remember seeing, two years ago, an image macro of Obama with watermelons saying "Boy, I shawre love complainin'!" Dunno if that's it, though.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I remember seeing, two years ago, an image macro of Obama with watermelons saying "Boy, I shawre love complainin'!" Dunno if that's it, though.

No, that can't be it. It was stated earlier here about watermelons and a murder plot/staging.
The wording did make it seem like it was for Clinton though...

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

A Congressman shot a watermelon to prove the Clintons killed Vince Foster or something.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Alter Ego posted:

Grant also couldn't abide the sight of blood. Odd for a man who was the Union's greatest general.
Then you have Sherman who thought War was Hell and he was probably the second greatest Union General. Sherman also knew not to get in the bullshit that is politics. I do like how everyone thought he was a mad man because he suffered a nervous breakdown early in the war.

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 9, 2014

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Also because he was "insane" to suggest that hundreds of thousands of Union troops would need to be raised in order to win the war.

My favorite thing about Sherman is that he didn't want to arm freed slaves because the South would think that was cheating, and he thought a no-excuses rear end-whooping was the only way to bring the South in line.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Postal Parcel posted:

No, that can't be it. It was stated earlier here about watermelons and a murder plot/staging.
The wording did make it seem like it was for Clinton though...

It was a Clinton thing. During Bill's administration there was somewhat of an obsession that Bill and Hillary had a massive list of enemies and people who knew too much that they murdered. The list tended to be in excess of 100 people and feature a bunch of "apparent suicide" and "allegedly in a car accident" as cause of death for people who had ever met Hillary or Bill in any capacity in the last 30 years.

Representative Dan Burton (R-IN) couldn't get formal approval to investigate the suicide of Clinton friend, business partner and Deputy White House Counsel Vince Foster. He responded by inviting media to his backyard, where using a pistol and a watermelon, he "proved" that the police report on the suicide was impossible.

Other fun Dan Burton facts: Accepted campaign contributions from the Pakistani military, believes vaccines cause autism, once ran a $7m investigation into DNC fundraising that was so inane and over the top... even Newt Gingrinch called it a circus.

The point, generally, is that Obama isn't the first D president that the GOP has lost their minds over-and that at minimum-some elements of it were certainly more fervent in the Clinton days.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Granted the Clinton years were almost two decades ago now, but I don't remember things being as widespread as they are now. Sure there was the whole whitewater stuff and Vince Foster, and of course Wag the Dog and all, but nothing nearly as widespread as the birther movement.

As you said, Newt mocked some of that stuff. Nowadays they stay quiet about the craziness less they be labeled a RINO.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Taerkar posted:

Granted the Clinton years were almost two decades ago now, but I don't remember things being as widespread as they are now. Sure there was the whole whitewater stuff and Vince Foster, and of course Wag the Dog and all, but nothing nearly as widespread as the birther movement.

As you said, Newt mocked some of that stuff. Nowadays they stay quiet about the craziness less they be labeled a RINO.

You've likely forgotten the context on the Newt quote. You know how Issa is ridiculous and insane? He'd have had to have combined his efforts on IRS, Fast and Furious and Benghazi into a single investigation, spent more money than was ever spent on a congressional investigation before (topping Watergate), stretched it over two years... been implicated at the outset for doing exactly what he claimed Obama had done, leaked selectively edited transcripts of innocuous phone calls, and at the end of everything-found precisely nothing. Believe me, there'd have been a line around the block to decry it if it was today.

Again, none of this touches on the extremely active militia/CI movement at the time (of which today's movements are still a very pale imitation), the reaction to Brady/AWB/NAFTA and the volume and utter farce of the investigations into Clinton and his family. Also the whole impeachment thing-which again, even Bush endured, and on which Boehner is now explicitly avoiding with his pressure release strategy of the lawsuit.

None of this is to suggest that Obama hasn't faced a tremendous amount of abuse. None of it is to suggest that there aren't those who have racially motivated animus to him. Or that he hasn't faced unprecedented obstruction in congress. It's because in a thread that's essentially about the concept of recency bias/the availability heuristic, people seem to forget/minimize (or frankly, in some cases, weren't alive and/or politically cognizant during) what happened a mere two administrations ago.

To reiterate: A representative with substantial investigative power invited the press to his property where he used his own pistol and a watermelon to demonstrate his theory that the President and First Lady were serial killers, overseeing (potentially personally committing) the assassination of dozens of friends and coworkers to coverup potential scandals or criminal activity. He was in no way reprimanded or sanctioned by his party for these actions-and allowed to continue other investigations.

Also, because I missed it earlier- Teddy was a remarkable badass with a flair for showmanship. I do wonder how closely Bush43 realized he was following in his tracks, affecting the image of the rugged west (earned or otherwise) to make up for the aristocratic image that his lineage would normally project.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
OP posted in games yesterday. I think he officially breaking the rules of the Debate Disco.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

I think he is upholding the very spirit of Debate Disco.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000
Haha holy poo poo, what an epitaph. It almost even rivals the infamous one Hunter Thompson wrote for Nixon himself :D

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Geoff Peterson posted:

The point, generally, is that Obama isn't the first D president that the GOP has lost their minds over-and that at minimum-some elements of it were certainly more fervent in the Clinton days.

Thanks to you all for the clarification.

As for this, I think it has to do with the Internet. Information and "News" is pumped out so much faster now, what with Facebook/Twitter meltdowns, firings, and complaints about said firings happening in the span of a few days.
We're rapidly approaching the Futurama time-skip episode without needing the displaced chronotons for time acceleration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

PrBacterio posted:

Haha holy poo poo, what an epitaph. It almost even rivals the infamous one Hunter Thompson wrote for Nixon himself :D

Cartoonist Tim Krieder's eulogy to Reagan is also filled with the same wonderful brand of vicious hatred. It just seethes with it. :allears:

• Locked thread