Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

NewMars posted:

Has anyone here played a House of Many doors?

It's basically the same game but replace the sea with an endless house with country sized rooms and the boat with a spider-legged train. It's.. also made by the same people and half by the same company and it really shows.

Major differences are combat is ftl-light and comparing the two I find:

1. It's easier to make money and you pretty much never worry about fuel in comparison.

2. The combat is better.

3. The world map looks worse.

I recall the creator being a goon - or at least posting in the Kickstarter thread way back then. They were also quite into Sunless Sea's gameplay and y'all probably know what I think about that by now. Glad they got to make the game they wanted, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
Yo hey. Came back to the game after ages, all yhe new content is great and I'm really loving this llay through. Quick question, what's the read on the Cladery Heart? Looked it up as I'm nearing the end of the quest line and it looks boss but no forward slot makes me weary, been rellying on vlue scintillack and torpedoes to deal with enemies so losing the largest piece of my damage seems like a huge drawback

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
You can definitely still use blue scintilack though. It was a little harder but I still managed to take out Tree of Ages and everything for Your Father's Bones with it.

Honestly, it's worth riding around in just for its unique wake.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Inadequately posted:

After playing way too much of it the last few days, I feel like Sunless Sea kinda wants to be three different games:

1) Open-world shipping/pirate sim ala Pirates!, decent if not exceptional at this part though clearly not a major focus.
They explicitly did not want this, going so far as to ruin trading runs during the early patches as players discovered them.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

FRINGE posted:

They explicitly did not want this, going so far as to ruin trading runs during the early patches as players discovered them.

Early patches seemed almost hellbent on removing any residual game that had accidentally been left in. Money was extremely tight and there were few if any free fuel/food to be found. It was basically a choose your own adventure book where all of the pages but one ended in death and also someone would randomly slap the book out of your hand and make you start over.

I understand the idea was "just go explore and don't worry about that stuff" but since most of the content is gate locked behind needing items, if there's no money/fuel to go get the stuff they want you'll never see most of the game.

Having picked the game up again recently it's far easier to explore and progress in the world now since port reports give you free fuel and you can earn enough cash from sphinxstone to save up to buy better stuff.

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Ask me about peasant etymology!
I guess that answers something that has been on my mind. I got into the game pretty late after its release and remember seeing references to boarding, and I think some lines in Gaider's Mourn with blanked out options that lead me to believe piracy was going to be a thing they were going to patch in later. I'm guessing it was there, too fun or too lucrative, and then cut out?

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I think they patched out taking ships except maybe some of the neutral ships near London.

I'm doing insanely well this run and feel like I should probably back up this save just in case. I never really liked the rogue like idea of this game, mostly because you can pass on so little, like can't pass on your ship or story progress so it never worked in my head. Even though the best rewards are all for legacy stuff

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

I think they patched out taking ships except maybe some of the neutral ships near London.

I'm doing insanely well this run and feel like I should probably back up this save just in case. I never really liked the rogue like idea of this game, mostly because you can pass on so little, like can't pass on your ship or story progress so it never worked in my head. Even though the best rewards are all for legacy stuff
just switch to merciful mode or whatever it's called man

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

just switch to merciful mode or whatever it's called man

But the meaningless token

What about the token Larry

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

you are master of your own soul by choosing not to capitulate to their baubles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

pesty13480 posted:

I guess that answers something that has been on my mind. I got into the game pretty late after its release and remember seeing references to boarding, and I think some lines in Gaider's Mourn with blanked out options that lead me to believe piracy was going to be a thing they were going to patch in later. I'm guessing it was there, too fun or too lucrative, and then cut out?

You definitely can still attack (some?) neutral ships. Sinking and looting them makes your milquetoast crew uncomfortable, and there's a Hearts challenge to avoid a Terror gain or something.

One of the Zeabed ports in Submariner also has a repeatable mission to lure ships in for wrecking, but there's no actual combat.

It's not worth it, man. Even if you play as conservatively/cowardly as possible, the game has a ton of non-combat ways to hose you on Terror/Crew/Wounds without warning. They've patched it to be a little better about giving you in-game hints like "BTW, what we mean by 'bring candles' is 'if you bring <5, you will probably lose the game outright'", but there's still places where choosing the wrong harmless-looking door will get you promptly shot in the dick.

It's especially not worth it if like me, you consider dropping < 1/2 crew to be the same thing as a game loss, because the one thing Sunless Sea really, really does not need is 1/2 movement speed.

• Locked thread