Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Verviticus posted:

ah good, it was far too easy to get money in this game

Since at this point Sunless Sea is an exploration game that basically punishes you for exploring, I think manual saves are almost necessary.

On the plus side, the zbat is alot easier to use now. Instead of giving general (often wrong) directions, it will pinpoint a specific place it found on your map if you're nearby.

At the bottom you can see where the zbat found Mutton Island and pinpointed it on my map. At the top, you can see where the game tried to gently caress me over by replacing I&M Funging Station with Gaider's Morurn aka High Level Pirate City. Clearly, the game underestimated my willingness to run screaming into the darkness instead of fighting hopeless battles. On a related note, some of the enemies seem faster. I tried to outrun a flock of bats at full speed and they still overtook me.

On the plus side, you can now name your starting vessel something vaguely melancholy and Victorian if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
The new update has made a few things easier, at least. Gaider's Mourn and Port Palmerstone (at least in my new game) are a lot closer to London, which makes Cheery Man deliveries, Strategic Information runs to those ports, and the Wistful Deviless story less tedious. Buoys are finally marked on the chart, too.

And (spoilers for scavenger hunt) I think I've found a decent, if risky way to get 1000 echoes out the gate: Bumrush the Avid Horizon with over 77 fragments after accepting the Neathbow quest in the Tomb Colonies. I'm pretty sure it's farther now, but you can make it there and back with 15 fuel. You'll see an option to get a Hunter's eye, which you can trade to the mummies for a Captivating Treasure.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Wow, some things in this are just such rear end in a top hat moves that necessitate more grinding and nothing else. What finally made me Alt+F4 and try again instead of grinding for more money and doing the same thing again now that I know something different was spelunking the citadel at Godfall. Got like 16 foxfire candles for it, just to be sure, which cost a fair amount. Made it to the end of the tunnel, and.. I need an "ambiguous eolith", whatever that is, to go further. Nowhere was this hinted before so I've just given all of my thingamajigs to the university. So, I would have needed to trek all the way back, losing more candles in the process, buy an eolith, grind money for more candles, get back to Godfall to try again and gently caress it, alt+f4 time, it's just not worth it.

The developers can write, sure, but I'm not sure if they've got a good grasp on the whole game design-thing. Most of the game seems to be either just twirling your thumbs and waiting for your lumbering boat to make it somewhere (maybe make a time acceleration-thing for these? A "x1, x2 or x4 speed"-toggle somewhere?), clicking the "give me a random encounter that may or may not completely gently caress me over"-button ashore, or occasionally dipping into the awful combat system.

EDIT: It's also odd how getting to places seems like quite a while but the sea still doesn't -feel- vast at all; everything seems pretty clumped together, which makes it feel like you're sailing in a kiddie pool and your zailors are babies who start losing their minds the moment you move two meters from the shore.

Dropbear fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 1, 2014

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
^ Don't you get 2 Ambig Egoliths halfway through, at the altar thing?

Shipchat: Does the player have to do anything for the Secure Cargo aft slot thing to function or does it just passively prevent awful things from happening? Also, my deck gun it gives +15 Iron and + 1 Cannons. Can I use this extra dakka or is it just something that isn't implemented yet?

To contribute: Did you know that you can use torpedo nets even if they are unequipped and packed in your hold? I've yet to come across any fish-flinging foes, so big help that is. Neat, though.

Roumba fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 4, 2014

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

Roumba posted:

Shipchat: Does the player have to do anything for the Secure Cargo aft slot thing to function or does it just passively prevent awful things from happening? Also, my deck gun it gives +15 Iron and + 1 Cannons. Can I use this extra dakka or is it just something that isn't implemented yet?

Pretty sure Secure Cargo works as soon as you buy it. I've been trundling around with tomb-colonists, clay men, and salt-stone in tow for hours and none of the escape events have happened yet.

The "extra cannons" is a bit misleading; that particular deck gun equips to a different slot from the other guns, so you can equip an additional one in the regular slot. i.e to get Maximum Firepower you could equip the gun with +1 cannons AND one of the Caminus Yards guns.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Sweet, the Emerald version is out. Guess I'll have to jump back into this and see what the Iron Republic's all about...kind of sad the map is random now though, I can see that getting annoying fast.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

Bendigeidfran posted:

The "extra cannons" is a bit misleading; that particular deck gun equips to a different slot from the other guns, so you can equip an additional one in the regular slot. i.e to get Maximum Firepower you could equip the gun with +1 cannons AND one of the Caminus Yards guns.

But CY sells both Forward and Deck slot weapon module things that would have a higher total Iron value?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
This game is super fun, but holy poo poo they need to fix the progression issues. It feels like there's no good way to make money early on, and fuel is so expensive.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
I torpedoed a bat swarm.
Obligatory .gif

Talking about this game with your buddies using as many bat-puns as possible is a game unto itself. BatBucks, BatRadar, BatBar, Batzaar. Just barrels of fun.

Roumba fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 5, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Sunless Sea combat being completely revamped!

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/08/18/sunless-sea-combat-bioware-collaboration/

quote:

The core team sat down together and chewed on how to get to delightfulness.

So, okay, we said, let’s go one more time round the reasons we don’t do ship combat in real time on the map, bearing in mind that it is of course impossible and we shouldn’t do it.

Two hours later, we’d decided that it wasn’t impossible, and we should probably do it.

Two days later, we’d run the numbers, done a bit of prototyping, and we’re going to do it!

Combat in SUNLESS SEA will still be gently paced not frantic, still be pausable, still involve light and darkness. But it’s going to occur right on the main map, with the primary game systems plugged into it, not in a turn-based secondary card game.

It’s really hard, as a designer, throwing away a cherished mechanic. It’s like euthanasing a beloved pet that won’t stop eating children. But when it’s right, it’s right. We – and you – are lucky enough to have some extra time to work on this, so we’re going, once again, to do it right. This is a significant, exciting, scary change – we’ll be letting you know more soon!

Well, that sounds good. :cheeky:

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
As long as it's pausable. I could see combat turning the resource burn into a serious pain, depending on how they sort targeting and such out.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I am more concerned about how it will affect the Terror mechanics. Getting into more than a single exchange battle could really screw up your Terror, which would lame as hell.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah. I was counting Terror as a resource, and my first thought was of battles in deep, dark water.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
Considering some bats won by not initiating combat at all, and jamming me into some rocks where I died, I'm not so sure this is going to work out so well.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Moryrie posted:

Considering some bats won by not initiating combat at all, and jamming me into some rocks where I died, I'm not so sure this is going to work out so well.

The whole point of that post was that if they were to simply move combat to the overworld right now, it wouldn't work. Doing overworld combat necessarily requires a pretty heavy redesign. They discussed that heavy redesign and decided it was worth doing.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

The whole point of that post was that if they were to simply move combat to the overworld right now, it wouldn't work. Doing overworld combat necessarily requires a pretty heavy redesign. They discussed that heavy redesign and decided it was worth doing.

I've played other sea-based games with real time combat, and had the same situations happen, though the rocks in one of them didn't do damage at all, so the point was essentially just to strand your enemy on the rocks and sail in circles nearby firing your cannons. Yes, I read the post. No, I don't exactly like the turn based combat it has now. But it could be worse is all I'm saying.

Varrack_85
Nov 10, 2004
I've died and restarted a couple dozen times now, or so it feels like. My most successful run (current) has really taken off when I started hunting lifebergs up by Whither. I have yet to find Godfall on any of my attempts, although I have found: bound sharks (killed one, eaten by the next), angler crabs (eaten), and run out of fuel in darkness of the zee. As long as they leave lifebergs are they are, there's at least one opportunity to potentially gain money and outfit yourself.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

Is this going to push back the Steel part of the release or will it still come out around the end of August like I think it is supposed to?

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
While I wait for the laptop I left my Sunless Sea save file on to return from elsewhere, I've been playing Fallen London to delve into the lore and perhaps gain future goodies in SS.

Feel free to involve me in brain melting activities and assorted debauchery: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Ryone~Suliemannt

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I just moved from my hometown--San Diego--to the infinitely inferior Indianapolis. To curb my pretty severe transitional depression I was looking for a game that I could use to fill large amounts of my free time with, when I stumbled across Sunless Sea. The fact that I played it all day Saturday seems to indicate that I like it and it's addictive, which were just the things I was looking for.

That said I do have some questions, often in the way of a comment.

1. So how do you make money? Fuel costs are so exorbitant that I literally think I only earn a 1 echo profit running the tomb colonists to the tomb colony while collecting terror I can't afford to get rid of. And the 5 echos you get per island visit from the admiralty costs me money. So I really have not been able to afford to explore much of anything beyond the three close islands to London.

2. Related to #1, does it burn less fuel to travel at 1/3rd speed? I can't tell other than traveling slower means I blow through supplies, but at least I can collect more of those by killing bats.

3. Speaking of combat, I expected it to be much more deadly. Literally everything I ran like hell away from at the beginning, I kill easily. I assume it gets tougher?

4. Do enemies all respawn after you dock? If so my answer to question 1 might be farming the pirates by London; however, that would make the game economy totally broken as I could have a huge amount of money in a few hours.

5. How do you increase your skill? Is it like fallen London where just "using" your skills increases them? Do they only improve through crew? Or can you advance your crew in some other way?

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

ZombieLenin posted:

I just moved from my hometown--San Diego--to the infinitely inferior Indianapolis. To curb my pretty severe transitional depression I was looking for a game that I could use to fill large amounts of my free time with, when I stumbled across Sunless Sea. The fact that I played it all day Saturday seems to indicate that I like it and it's addictive, which were just the things I was looking for.

1. So how do you make money? Fuel costs are so exorbitant that I literally think I only earn a 1 echo profit running the tomb colonists to the tomb colony while collecting terror I can't afford to get rid of. And the 5 echos you get per island visit from the admiralty costs me money. So I really have not been able to afford to explore much of anything beyond the three close islands to London.

2. Related to #1, does it burn less fuel to travel at 1/3rd speed? I can't tell other than traveling slower means I blow through supplies, but at least I can collect more of those by killing bats.

3. Speaking of combat, I expected it to be much more deadly. Literally everything I ran like hell away from at the beginning, I kill easily. I assume it gets tougher?

4. Do enemies all respawn after you dock? If so my answer to question 1 might be farming the pirates by London; however, that would make the game economy totally broken as I could have a huge amount of money in a few hours.

5. How do you increase your skill? Is it like fallen London where just "using" your skills increases them? Do they only improve through crew? Or can you advance your crew in some other way?

Trading. Some people out in the zee really like their wine. Capturing ships is also nice, if you can avoid taking too much damage / having to replace crew. The port reports are not all worthless (but are pretty much always just a bonus).

Combat is in the process of getting reworked, so it's hard to say much about it. Don't let floating islands get near you.

You do burn less fuel, but you will gather more terror, so only slow down by the coasts/well-lit areas.

You can increase skills by talking to your crew and spending secrets. Some events can give you special crew members, some crew members have special events that can give you boosts/items/nightmares.

I have been away from the game for a little while so this may all have changed.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ZombieLenin posted:

Question 1: Go up north to Whither's area, hang out around Censor's Arch. Farm Lifebergs. They will destroy you if they get within 40 yards, so they take forever to kill with all of the retreating, but you can get mad amounts of dosh from them. Rule of thumb, retreat twice at the beginning and between every real action and you're safe.

Question 2: I think going slower just makes you steer better. You can save fuel by turning off your lights, but unless you're basically hugging a buoy or a nice stretch of coast your dudes will go crazy and FAST. (Tip for 1: hug one of the buoys under Censor's Arch so you can save fuel while waiting for the lifebergs to come.)

Question 3: Yes. Auroral Crabs are pretty much impossible to even get hit by unless you try to observe them and don't bother to keep your illumination down (and 3-5 actions is not worth the pittance of fragments you get in the slightest, so don't bother even observing). Bats are pretty much free Supplies, don't bother observing just light them up and shoot them down. The pirates right next to Fallen London might actually damage you but aren't a threat.

Then everything else wrecks you because there's no difficulty curve just pain :gibs:

Also, major major major pro tip. Get you a better version of your gun AND the flensing-type gun in the same class ASAP. They equip to different slots, which means a) you have a bunch more Iron and b) you can use flensing attacks, which wreck monsters (and make lifeberg hunting wayyyyy faster).

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 19, 2014

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
So here is the problem I seem to be having: exploring is super expensive in terms of fuel costs and fear costs. Despite this I've explored some, but still can't find the island to unload the unregistered souls as an example.

I haven't tried fighting the life bergs yet, so maybe I will do that; however grinding the tomb colonist/mushroom wine trade route for 8 is getting kind of old. I must have done this run for 8 hours straight over the last 3 days.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

ZombieLenin posted:

So here is the problem I seem to be having: exploring is super expensive in terms of fuel costs and fear costs. Despite this I've explored some, but still can't find the island to unload the unregistered souls as an example.

I haven't tried fighting the life bergs yet, so maybe I will do that; however grinding the tomb colonist/mushroom wine trade route for 8 is getting kind of old. I must have done this run for 8 hours straight over the last 3 days.

The game is definitely harder than it was pre-randomization; all the empty parts of the sea mess up your routes instead of sitting to the sides of the map, and the more useful islands like Godfall or Polythreme can end up unreasonably far away. If you're open to making a new character I'd recommend you take scientist/Mirrors, then kill yourself and pass the trait on to an urchin/Veils.

Besides "never stop hugging land and buoys" the only consistent money-maker is, unfortunately, foreknowledge of how the more profitable quests play out. Visit the Wistful Deviless sometime! Also the Neathbow is really useful but also really obtuse if you didn't complete it before map randomization happened. Going to the Avid Horizon (northern edge of the map) once or the Iron Republic (due south from London) repeatedly will get you a cool thousand echoes each! The other colors are a lot more frustrating to get.

Also: gods are your friends. They give you mad stats if you have their attention and get a certain common event at Gaider's Mourn.

Bendigeidfran fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 19, 2014

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

STEEL just dropped: http://www.failbettergames.com/hot-steel/

Haven't got the chance to play it yet but it looks like they added a ton of new islands in addition to real-time combat. Can't wait to give this a whirl when I'm done with work.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

dylguy90 posted:

STEEL just dropped: http://www.failbettergames.com/hot-steel/

Haven't got the chance to play it yet but it looks like they added a ton of new islands in addition to real-time combat. Can't wait to give this a whirl when I'm done with work.

quote:

Target an enemy by clicking it, or hitting TAB. Combat won’t actually begin until you fire on it, or it spots you. (Enemies will have a harder time spotting you when your lights or off, or if you have a high Veils stat. You may be able to sneak up on them.)

You’ll see your weapon arcs appear (different weapon positions have different arcs). Keep your enemy in the arc, and you’ll notice a glow circling the fire buttons in the combat bar. This is your firing solution: when the circle is complete, you can hit your enemy. If your enemy is illuminated by your prow-light (or by other lights, in the next patch) the firing solution willl increase faster. (It’ll turn green when this happens).

Elaborations! You can also fire before the arc is complete… but they you have a chance of missing. Higher Mirrors allows you to fire more frequently. Higher Iron allows you to do more damage.

Enemy ships, meanwhile, will be trying to do the same to you. You’ll get a warning signal just before it fires – the longer you can stay out of their arcs, the less damage they’ll do to you. Ducking behind land works. Zee-beasts can’t usually use projectiles, but they’ve learnt to submerge and than emerge to bite or ram you. You’ll need to pick your moment.

There’s other stuff – smaller ships have limited choice of weapons, there are several items with a use in combat. We’ll let you find it out.

:getin:

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I'm really eager to hear feedback on the Steel update. It doesn't so awesome, since movement controls on the sailing map aren't fantastic. I thought the concept of turn based combat was fine, and what combat really needed for a fix was an "autoresolve" button for trash encounters like crabs and bats.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Seems like a step in the right direction for combat from what I have played. It works best against other ships because you both move similar and have to position yourself correctly and fire. Fighting crabs and monsters and poo poo is kinda frustrating because they don't move like you and are usually faster than you so they ram right into you as you try and position but I guess they are working on that.

No bat swarms to fight thank god.

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 1, 2014

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Bendigeidfran posted:

Also: gods are your friends.

Not since I refused to take a zailor onboard due to lack of space and got Salt's Curse :mad:

Returned to london, then subsequently went and kicked the poo poo out of some altars.

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike
So, I've finally saved up enough to get either the Merchant Ship or the Frigate. The research I've seen makes me think that the Merchant Ship would be the better choice, but they are all pre-Steel. Has anyone used either post-Steel? Are there maneuverability differences? The merchant ship definitely looks clunkier. The aft weapon update has made combat with zee-monsters a lot easier (I'll run away, thanks, pow!), but for other ships and big things you'll still need to turn and deal with frontal arcs, I'd imagine. And that Merchant Ship definitely is uglier, but the stats are much more appealing. Sigh. Any thoughts before I use up these Echoes burning a hole in my pocket?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

The merchant ship has made me a rich, rich man. The main money-maker is carrying Sphixstone to London, and with 100 cargo you can usually carry 60-80 units and still have enough fuel to make it back home.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I'm not sure I'm a fan of the new combat system -- you can't really dodge anything (especially faster monsters), so it just ends up being the two of you blasting each other and the bigger stats wins out.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Has anyone ever had any luck getting the criminal delivery where it has to go? It doesn't write anything down in your journal and the two times I've remembered to jot it down on paper, I've traveled in that direction and found jack poo poo. Same for the admiralty survey. Makes me think it's based on the old static map or something.

I still always lose because I run out of fuel. Money is way too hard to come by in this game. I enjoy it, but holy poo poo.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Has anyone ever had any luck getting the criminal delivery where it has to go? It doesn't write anything down in your journal and the two times I've remembered to jot it down on paper, I've traveled in that direction and found jack poo poo. Same for the admiralty survey. Makes me think it's based on the old static map or something.

I still always lose because I run out of fuel. Money is way too hard to come by in this game. I enjoy it, but holy poo poo.

Yeah I love the game but it's grindy as gently caress where money is concerned and I can never keep enough fuel in reserve.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
I enjoy everything about this game except the grind so I just cheatengine money.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So I bought this in the sale, and, well...

Does anything ever happen? I've been farting around for three hours and short of sailing in circles very slowly and selling crap to the admiralty, I'm not seeing what I'm supposed to do? I managed to burn down some house apparently which sucks because I liked the free food and stuff to sell. Also the whole story driven thing seems to revolve about 90% around made up fantasy words for not-very-interesting stuff.

Where's the game? There's bugger all to do.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
have they still not finished this game? they were releasing stuff like once a month or two and then poof

edit; i guess they're on track to finish in feb. cool

OwlFancier posted:

Does anything ever happen? I've been farting around for three hours and short of sailing in circles very slowly and selling crap to the admiralty, I'm not seeing what I'm supposed to do? I managed to burn down some house apparently which sucks because I liked the free food and stuff to sell. Also the whole story driven thing seems to revolve about 90% around made up fantasy words for not-very-interesting stuff.

did you go places? at least as of a few months ago the game gives you a few breadcrumbs but mostly you're just supposed to sail somewhere and either you die because you went too far or you don't die.

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 2, 2015

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Verviticus posted:

did you go places? at least as of a few months ago the game gives you a few breadcrumbs but mostly you're just supposed to sail somewhere and either you die because you went too far or you don't die.

I've been playing the game off and on for months as they release stuff, and this is still pretty much the same.
Play balancing is still a pretty big problem with the game, made even worse by the randomly generated maps. Since there's no reliable way to earn Echos when you start off, you're stuck either trying to grind enough through port reports / special missions for the admiralty, or trying an actual mission and dying because you didn't have enough fuel to search everywhere for the port you needed to reach. Attacking pirates and sending over a prize crew used to be risky if profitable way to earn cash, so of course it was nerfed in a recent patch.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

OwlFancier posted:

Well, you do pick a victory condition at yhe beginning, you could try getting what you need for that (assuming the end game is actually already in, I've not made it that far)

But really, if you don't like the slow exploration and the words, this is not the game for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

GamingHyena posted:

I've been playing the game off and on for months as they release stuff, and this is still pretty much the same.
Play balancing is still a pretty big problem with the game, made even worse by the randomly generated maps. Since there's no reliable way to earn Echos when you start off, you're stuck either trying to grind enough through port reports / special missions for the admiralty, or trying an actual mission and dying because you didn't have enough fuel to search everywhere for the port you needed to reach. Attacking pirates and sending over a prize crew used to be risky if profitable way to earn cash, so of course it was nerfed in a recent patch.

i quit right before they released the random maps and intuitively i dont understand how it works. some cohesion in the map seemed necessary for the game to work, to me

did they just take a bunch of set pieces and randomize those? for instance, the sisters house is presumably a stone's throw away from the mainland/spawn still, right?

• Locked thread