Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The origins of myth
Africa
Mesopotamia
Egypt
Greece
China
India
Iran/Aryans
Turks
Neanderthals
Rome
View Results

• Locked thread
a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
:sax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Honestly the origins of myths is a really fascinating subject to me. I like thinking about how the natural world and human conflicts and stuff were interpreted by ancient man, and how threads of the stories first told tens of thousands of years ago still exist in the stories and religions we have today.

Take Odin, for example. Was the origin of Odin tribal shamanism? How did he evolve over time to become the Santa Clause we know today (because he totally did)?

real post over

fart

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Neurosis posted:

you would probably enjoy the nerd posts talking about the glorantha pnp setting (kingdom of dragon pass setting)

i don't play gay pnps but the setting is really interesting since it was written by someone with an anthropology background and is based heavily around the mythology that develops in primitive cultures

it's pretty rad

thnks! i'll check it out

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Soft Shell Crab posted:

I'd like to read what you say without getting a seizure. Please change your avatar or post something that I can skip immediately.

seizures are god telling you to stop touching yourself

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

redshirt posted:

This is what I'm getting at.

Myth, in a sense, is a primitive form of science. Lightning rips the sky - you've got no idea why, but you try to make sense of it. The default human response seems to then impart an active agent - a God - as the source of these events. Such that you can then consider pleasing them, or offending them. Once you have that constructed, you then can see how ethical codes are imposed on the society in order to "please the gods", and then of course a social structure happens with people who interpret the gods will - and religion is born.

I also love thinking about gods and legendary figures who might be based on real people. like what if Enki was a tribal chief or something in furthest pre-history and his legend became myth and he was turned into a god? what if hercules was actually a real strong dude?

what if bendy man was an infamous skinny plumber whose true story was clouded by the passage of time?

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

this has the potential to be the most interesting thread on SA but i'm too lazy to make it good.

someone halp

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

redshirt posted:

lol

fart.

yup, fart :(

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

redshirt posted:

Look at the titties on this slam whale!

We've found these little figurines all over Europe and even into Central Asia.

They date from like 20000 years ago.

Ask yourself: Were dudes into slam whales in 20000BCE?

:eyepop:

drat earth mother got some fat titties

quote:

She was originally nicknamed la poire - "the pear"
http://72.52.202.216/~fenderse/Venus.htm

lol i dated a girl we called the pear because she had a skinny hot face and a big ol fat booty. i may be a throwback to neolithic times.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

imagine when there was that bottle neck from climate change or whatever and there were only like 5,000 humans alive on the entire planet

imagine the stories that had roots in that apocalypse -- flood myth? garden of eden and the fall?

imagine how much incest there was

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

i bet if i smoked pot i could be blowing all your minds with poo poo right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

redshirt posted:

You don't?!?!?

i know, right??

no i act like this because my parents did a lot of acid

ancient man ate psychedelics he found in the wild. bet that's where religion really comes from

• Locked thread