Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

XP: 3 | Hexed: False Prophecies | Conditions: Lost Soul, Under The Weather

I also want the women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, adorning themselves, not with elaborate hairstyles or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God. - 1 Timoty 2:9-10

She nods, a little blankly, most of the terms going by her. Delilah wasn't particularly fashionable, even if she didn't appear frumpy most of the time, and Mira's judgement calls mostly wave past her. "Yeah, that sounds about right," she says with a smile, trying not to appear as blank as she felt. "It's not that he minds me wearing dresses, I just...don't have any, I guess. I prefer jeans or skirts."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Ophelia

The girl laughs and and punches you hard in the shoulder. "drat, I'll bet! I'm just loving with you anyway. God! Is everyone here so serious?"

She tokes on a more solemn tone. "Seriously though, you're going that way too, right? What's over there? I've never smelled anything like it... except on Jeffrey's body."

Darius

Big D laughs a huge throaty laugh. "Do I look scared, dipshit? Your family is never going to find you! C'mon!"

Keeping you clutched in his fist he begins to amble back off the bridge and into the woods.

After you get into the forest a ways, Big D is pushing you ahead, in his relatively more human form. You stumbled over a fallen log into a clearing where a cabin lies in wait. "Ma! Alex! Look what I got!"

The cabin's screen door flies open and two people rush out onto the porch. The first is a woman, in about her late 40s, with a huge stomach wearing an apron over a dirty pink blouse. The second is a tall young man with short brown hair and solemn features wearing a blue working cap and a pair of beaten down brown overalls. The woman's eyes seem to bug out of her head as she sees you and Big D approaching.

"Dan! What on Earth have you done!?"

Big D stops short but gives you another shove. "I got 'em, Ma! Culpepper! Now we can make things right!" Ma practically stumbles off the porch as she approaches the two of you. She looks you up and down, but then moves on to Big D. There's a sharp crack as she slaps him across the face. "You idiot, moronic child! This is why your Pa left, you know? Couldn't handle a kid as dumb as you!"

The man, Alex, rushes to your group and takes Ma by the shoulders. "Hey hey hey... he's just trying to help, Ma. It's okay. Look, the two of you get back inside. I'll handle this." Ma gives Big D a look like she's considering hitting him again, but she relents and leads him inside.

Alex shakes his head and smiles apologetically. "You know, I'm not surprised Big D went after you. I learned a long time ago not to dress too nice if I didn't want to get made."

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

XP: 2 | Harm - | Conditions: -

"The limo...might have been a bit much." Darius casts a nervous glance at the cabin door. "So uh, what are you guys gonna do with me?"

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

XP: 4 | Harm: 1

"Ow!" Ophelia winces and rubs her arm. "Jeez. No fair, I'm dead already." She looks down the road, squinting as though that will help her see any strange supernatural activity. "Down there? Um, nothing, really. It used to have all the factories and warehouses and stuff, but... um, in case you haven't noticed this town is kind of crappy now." She laughs weakly. "I haven't been down there in a long time, though." She peers at Melody. "Was Jeffrey, uh... a..."

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Darius

Alex sighs and looks around. "Knowing Dan, he probably thought we would ransom you." He shrugs and removes his cap, running his fingers through his short hair. "Of course we can't do that. But what can I do? I know you'll promise not to tell anyone or whatever, but can I trust you?" He takes your chin and moves your head to the side, as if he's inspecting you. "No, you look the kind who gets by any way he has to. No integrity." He lets go of your face. "It's not your fault, you're just like Dan. No one took the time to teach you.

"Look I've got enough stuff to do without burying a body. And besides that, I feel like you and I have something in common. So here's what we're going to do. I need something from someone at your school. You do go to school with the other students in this hellhole, right? His name's Roman and he's holding on to something very important to me. A journal, just sentimental.

"I just can't stand knowing it has been stolen. If you can get me that journal, soon, we're square. If you don't well..." Alex takes a breath and ruffles your hair "Dan is a very willful boy. I don't think I can control him. What do you say?"

Ophelia

Melody tilts her head at your question. "A homosexual? Nah, he just dressed weird." She shakes her head. "gently caress, why do people always make assumptions like that? It really pisses me off." You hear a growl loose from her throat. "Probably why he died too. Town like this, bunch of homophobic rednecks get together, smelt some silver bullets, and call themselves 'Hunters.' Makes me sick." She looks at you, as if in appraisal. "You don't look like the type, though, plus you're dead. Hunters hate that poo poo. Did you know Jeffrey?"

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

"No, no, not that!" Ophelia waves her hands in front of her. "I meant - um, a wolf... man. A werewolf. Is that what you are? Uh, sorry. I - I guess I knew him. Kind of." He was a dick, she doesn't say. "A-and, I mean, I would never make fun of somebody for being gay, I, uh." She realizes she's said too much and... is still red. Poor Ophelia.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Ophelia

Melody squints at you. "You're a weird kid. Well, whatever, that's cool. But why were you going that way if it's just old factories and poo poo? You got a job out there? Wait, are you homeless?"

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

"I was going to Roman's party tonight!" Darius nods fiercely. "I can get your journal back, sure."

"Oh poo poo. We might have another problem though: Dan - uh, your brother - I think he killed my driver."

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Ophelia ponders. "I guess so? I don't need to eat or sleep, so I don't really need a home... and I don't have a job, either." She laughs shortly and rubs the back of her neck. "I got invited to a party... I mean, it's obviously a trap, because who would invite me, but I figured it couldn't hurt."

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Darius

Alex rolls his eyes and shakes his head. "That kid... Look, where's the driver? We'll deal with the body and the car. You gotta handle the rest. Okay? I know it's not nice, but it's this or I'm digging two graves tonight." He jumps as he hears a howl echoing in the distance. "What the hell is happening to this town..."

Ophelia

"A party!?" Melody raises her face to the sky and lets out a long, excited howl. "Awesome! You should have said so sooner!" She slaps you on the back. "You have a job now! I'm staying in this toilet town for a few days, and you're gonna be my guide and accomplice! Now let's check out this party!"

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Ophelia blanches and almost falls over when she's slapped on the back. "Uh, o-okay," she says weakly. She wants to protest, but doubts it'd work at all. Melody is... enthusiastic, to say the least. "Just follow me, then... it's at the old Culpepper warehouse. They're kind of..." She rubs her chin. "...the robber barons, I guess."

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

"He's on the bridge over the East Morrowdale River. The car...is probably IN the East Morrowdale River by now."

Darius stands to leave. "Look, uh...thanks for bailing me out. Most people aren't this nice to me, they usually just skip right to beating my rear end." He looks at the cabin again.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Darius

"Don't thank me, kid. This is a bargain, not a bail-out. Just keep your end up. You know where to find me." He pats you on the cheek twice. "Now go on. Get out of here."

Ophelia

If Melody notices your hesitant, she makes no sign of it. As you lead towards the abandoned industrial sector, she regales you with tales of parties attended, music heard, and drugs taken.

"You ever roll? poo poo's amazing. It turns any party into a mix between an awesome theme park ride and a hippie-dippy love-in. I remember just getting into this big pile of people, feelin' skin, clothes, fur, wha-- what the hell?" You stop at the bridge. Unsurprisingly, it's seen better days. With almost no traffic going through, the structure has seen better days. The roadway is bumpy and torn and pieces of the sidewalk are scattered over the street. The guard rail on the east side is busted, as if a car has driven through it.

But that's not what startles Melody. Lying on the side of the road is a broken old man in a pool of blood. He wears a dark driver's uniform with a gold pin attached to it. You recognize the stylized "C" on the pin-- anyone in Morrowdale would. This man works-- worked-- for the Culpeppers.

From behind, you both hear another person approaching.

Darius

You manage to make your way through the woods with not too much trouble. You picked the right direction and you headed out, breaking out of the trees where the road had been laid out next to the river. You find the bridge, and the ghost, and some punk chick. Oh, and the dead driver.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Ophelia just walks along, absorbing Melody's chatter with half a smile. She has no idea what rolling is, but it sounds way too social for her.

The sight of the bridge makes her halt and gasp. "What - what happened? Oh my god, that guy is a Culpepper employee... what..." She runs to the dead man and shakes him, as if that'll help. Maybe he'll sit up. Maybe. She realizes she's crying a little bit - she doesn't even seem to notice there's someone sneaking up behind them.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

"Have you checked if he's breathing?"

Darius strides past the two girls to examine the body. "Actually, considering what he saw, probably better if he isn't. Darius Culpepper, by the way," he offers to the punk chick.

Inside, of course, he's a mess. This day just keeps getting worse and worse. Of course someone would have to find the body before Alex came to pick it up.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Melody looks at Darius warily as she takes everything in. "'Culpepper.' So he worked for you?" She looks at the body, then back at Darius. "What happened? Why does he smell like... a bad horror movie?"

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Ophelia stands up in a panic and runs to Melody's side. "Darius! You're not dead!" She sounds surprised, and also a little terrified - she's pretty sure that Darius knows who and what she is, and she doesn't know if he'll leverage his power against her. Or maybe he doesn't know, and she's afraid of nothing. As usual. She grabs reflexively for Melody's hand, just in case. "...did you kill him?"

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

"No, I didn't kill him. Do you seriously think I could have crushed his goddamn skull like this?" He points to the man's head, thoroughly caved in at the back.

"He was driving me to...well, to where isn't important, but some giant ugly loving monster tackled my limo, pulled him out of the driver's seat and killed him. I uh...well, I ran. I mean, who wouldn't?"

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

"I don't know! Weird stuff is happening around here!" Ophelia stares at Darius as he continues. "...like that. A giant monster? How giant?"

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

"You know Coach Phillips? It was even bigger than him."

Then it dawns on Darius: he's awfully calm about a giant goddamn monster running around. "We should, uh, probably get out of here. Where were you two going anyway?"

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Darius

Melody grins at you, revealing large wolfish teeth. "Ophie told me there was a party going down at some old warehouse or something. We're going to check it out. I can't wait to see how you suburban types do it! Ow-owww!"

She looks at the body again and frowns deeply. "I thought Chicago was bad, but you guys have some weird poo poo here. Guess there's no use calling for the police." She gestures at you. "By the way, I don't blame you for running, but why did you come back?"

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

"...Look, I know who did it. He was after me. It's taken care of. Let's just...let's just go and make sure nobody knows about this, okay? Dad's gonna be loving pissed enough when he finds out my limo's in the river."

Maybe he can tell him that Jones went crazy and tried to kill him by driving into the river. Sure.

"So, you're going to the party too? How the hell did they get invites all the way out to Chicago?"

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Melody laughs and puts her arm around Ophelia's shoulders, pulling her into a one-armed hug. "I didn't! I'm this chick's +1!"

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Ophelia yelps! "Y-yeah, I don't know why he invited me... it was kind of, uh, weird."

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

"...Alright, whatever." He didn't even think most people could see her if she wasn't screaming about something. She must have killed a dog in front of one of the Boys or something.

Darius walks off toward in the direction of the Warehouses. "It shouldn't be that far from here, thank god." He grumbles to himself, "Just my loving luck I'd have to walk half of the trip."

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Ophelia shakes her head and whispers to Melody. "Sorry. He's, uh... there's a reason nobody likes him or his family." She follows Darius at a safe distance. Just in case the giant monster comes back.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

4 XP Conditions: Clone, Icy

"Okay! Jennifer, you take Grace." Mira's eyes flick towards the other girl in an effort to redirect her absent-minded friend to the actual Grace, and takes Delilah's hand in hers, smiling. "Do you know what your dress size is? You must, right? 10, maybe a 12 on a bad day?"

Mira leads Delilah among the racks of dresses. "So let's show off your arms, roughly knee-length, high-cut, probably some structure. Colouring - something mid-range, not too red since it will blow your face out. How about this?" Mira picks out a bright blue cocktail dress off the rack. "It covers your shoulders and has a full back, so you shouldn't feel too uncomfortable. It will probably fall on or slightly below your knees, and it has some structure without being too tight - it won't make your chest look amazing, but that's not what you want anyway. Skip the indigo - it will wash out your hair. Or this one, in the purple." Mira takes another dress off the rack, showing it to Delilah. "The purple would show the light in your hair well, and the faux wrap gives you a bit of cleavage if you have your eye on someone." Mira winks. "Not as much structure down below, but that could be good if you're uncertain about your stomach - but it also might define your waist better, as well. You could get it in the bright blue or the black too, if you don't like the navy. Or, for something more daring, this one!" Mira hands Delilah the first two dresses and pulls out a third. Mira tilts it and shows Delilah the inside. "See? It's completely lined - the bodice is an illusion, so it looks more revealing than it is. It's still structured, and even though it just comes in black, that will still look good on you. Shall we try them on? You probably have a favourite already - I can see it in your face - but you never know how it's going to look until you try it."

Mira carries the dresses and heads towards the dressing room, where Jennifer and Grace are waiting with their own selection of - much brighter and flimsier - dresses. "So when we go shopping, whoever's trying something on puts it on and then comes back out for opinions. You might not want to do that, but I guarantee you'll appreciate having the second and third pairs of eyes. Even if you don't come back out, do try them all on!" Mira holds the dresses out to Delilah, her eyes wide open and smiling, inviting Delilah to participate in the fashion ritual.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Let the wise listen and add to their learning, and let the discerning get guidance - Proverbs 1:5

It's mostly a whirlwind of fabrics and colors. Delilah tries to pick up what Mira's teaching her, even as she tries on one dress after another. Part of her wonders if this was a good idea. Sure, she might wear a dress that suits her, but could she wear it well? But no, no thinking like that. Tonight was a party night. She would be fine.

Though she does not come out - not until she's made her choice. She appreciated Mira's advice, certainly, but she wasn't used to letting others pick for her. So the Queen is made to wait once again, as Delilah undresses and redresses a few times over, slowly but surely making her choice. When she does eventually come out, she's wearing the second, purple dress, a little awkwardly at first simply from her lack of experience with any such clothes, and doing a small turn at Mira's behest. "I like this one. The others are, um...yeah. Don't feel right, I guess," she says with a small smile.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Nordstrom

Grace takes a separate dressing booth. She only has what Jennifer had recommended, but ends up taking far longer than Delilah. All the while you can hear her muttering "is this how you..? what the..? I don't know..."

Finally, steps out, her curly hair falling on bare shoulders, wearing a pink, almost skin-tone, flare dress. She's blushing heavily and looking to Delilah. "So... hi."

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

I will be glad and rejoice in your love, for you saw my affliction and knew the anguish of my soul. - Psalm 31:7

Delilah turns around slowly as Grace comes out, not quite sure what to expect - but when she sees her friend, she is more than pleasantly surprised. One thing she had to admit; the club knew their stuff. Even with just a new dress, Grace looked better than ever, and Delilah was thankful that she had managed to get her along on this. "Wow," is all she can say for a moment as she tries not to blush herself. "...looks great."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mira's eyes widen at Grace's approach, and she turns to Jennifer. "That looks great!" Mira smiles and hugs Jennifer. Once the Sirens are done embracing, she approaches Grace and Delilah. "You both look really good in those! Delilah, you normally wear flats to school, right? Can we at least get you into a kitten heel? You'll want something a bit thinner to give you some elegance, but Grace can make hers look a bit younger with a pair of wedges. How does that sound? What sizes do you two wear?"

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Let us discern for ourselves what is right; let us learn together what is good. - Job 34:4

It takes Delilah a moment longer to turn back to Mira and respond. "I'm a... six and a half, maybe a seven to be generous. I guess a heel would be fine? I don't know, I've never really tried walking in them." It was true. With most parties, she could look good, even cute at times, but "sexy" had never been an adjective to describe her, and heels had never really found their place into her wardrobe. But there's a first time for everything; so heels it is.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Changing of the Seasons

It's another 45 minutes of walking the back roads before Ophelia, Darius, and Melody make it beyond the wooded area to a large clearing. Down the hill they can see the tops of factories, warehouses, and great industrial machines, all covered over with rust and dust. It's not hard to identify where the party is happening. It's where the lights and music are.

Ophelia

As you work your way down the hill, you can start to feel the beat of the music in the air and in the ground. Melody squeezes your hand tighter. "This is gonna rule." She looks at you and grins. "You're a party virgin, aren't you?"

The three of you make it to the large wire fence around the Culpepper Warehouses, already bent open. Inside, there are plants everywhere, arranged around the perimeter in clay pots. You see a number of teenagers gathered around the largest of the warehouses, once used to store recently commissioned factory equipment and trucks. A couple of teens with orange and green mohawks are standing outside with flashlights. They ask to see your invite, which Darius is presumably prepared to offer, then let you through. "Remember, this is a clean event." One of them chortles.

When you step inside, the music hits you like a hammer. Thumping beats pulse through the cement floor. You can't actually see any walls. The warhouse is covered in plants, live plants dripping with moisture, turning the whole wide area into a jungle. Colored lights overhead sometimes slip through the leaves, but for the most part it's like you're truly outdoors.

It's not long before a shifty bald fellow with a goatee and a brown leather jacket approaches your group. "Hey there, lookin' for something to liven things up? I got green crosses, yellow ducks, and red uh... I dunno, it's like a Transformers thing? Like a robot?"

Melody looks like her teeth are going to fall out from all the grinning she's doing. She looks at you. "Well, what do you think? Up for some real fun?"

Darius

You feel a hand settle on your shoulder. You turn to see Roman, no longer wearing his proper day clothes but instead in a white tank top, a pair of jeans, and a rainbow assortment of jewelry around his neck. Without sleeves, you can tell he lifts. "Hey, I knew you'd make it. What do you think?" He grins and waves at the foliage and lights. "About the set-up, I mean. Not quite like your grandfather left it, eh?"

Grace

Flush-faced Grace stammers for a moment, then answers, as if coming back to reality. "Uh... the same as Delilah." She smiles. "Remember when we were kids and we'd trade shoes?"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

"Okay!" Mira and Jennifer disappear towards women's shoes, reappearing a couple minutes later. Each of them is carrying a box, and they hold them forward to Delilah and Grace. "Kitten heels for Delilah, and wedges for Grace," Mira intones.

"Try them on on the bench here, then make sure you can walk in them - we don't have much time to get used to it. Especially you, Delilah - if you've never worn shoes at all, wearing kitten heels is going to be weird and unbalancing no matter how good you are at gym." Mira sticks her tongue out - it's obvious she's enjoying herself.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing. - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"I'll be alright," Delilah says bravely, sitting down next to Grace as they try on their new shoes. Putting them on is easy enough, and she quite likes the way they contrast against the purple dress. But when she stands up, her brave words seem just that, as she takes one step and wobbles uncertainly; only to support herself on Grace's outstretched hand. "Thanks," she mumbles, her smile turned away from the onlooking fashion girls. As she takes a few more steps, part of her knows that she must look like some caricature to the fashion girls; but she remains calm, especially with the occasional word from Grace who is getting used to her own shoes. It's not long before she can make it look almost natural - still a small wiggle in her ankles, but not falling over at every step, at least. "I...think I got it?" she asks, finally looking back at Mira. "Guess I can get some more practice before we leave."

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Ophelia stares saucer-eyed at the strange interior of the warehouse complex. This isn't quite what she was expecting, to say the least. She clutches Melody's hand tightly and whispers to her - "Y-yes. Will you stay with me?"

She barely gets that out before she's carted in by her new werewolf friend. She stares around, in confusion and, okay, maybe she's a little bit delighted by all the plant life. She's never seen anything like this before. It's... kind of magical. It doesn't help that the bald guy who approaches them says a bunch of things that make absolutely no sense, and she leans into Melody again to whisper. "What's that stuff? Is that, like, drugs?"

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

"Yes, Ophelia," Darius groans, rolling his eyes. "I honestly don't think I could have done better myself, Roman," he says with a grin.

He buys some of the robots from the dealer, then whispers in Roman's ear, "Wanna go make out?"

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Ophelia

Melody barks a laugh as the dealer steps back.

"Uh maybe think of it as candy. But yeah, I got what you want." Melody pulls out a ratty old wallet and makes an exchange, accepting two green pills. She hands one to Ophelia. "Maybe take half now and half later," she advises, before swallowing her whole pill. "C'mon, let's go find the music!"

Darius

Roman raises an eyebrow and smiles. "Well, I heard Culpepper's always take what they want, but this is a new meaning." He accepts one of the pills and smiles slyly as he places it on his outstretched tongue, before swallowing it whole. "Let's find somewhere more private," he suggests, before taking you by the hand and leading you into a darkened patch of foliage.

"I could tell you were gay, but I didn't know you were so bold," he says as he pulls you close, placing hands firmly on your hips. He kisses you, sucking on your bottom lip. "Is this your first time like this with a guy?" he whispers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Ophelis squints at the pill, then looks at the party, looks at Melody, looks at the party. Looks at the pill again. She shrugs and breaks it in half, stashing one in her pocket and swallowing the other. This takes a bit too long, and she has to jog to catch up to Melody. "Wait, I can't dance!"

• Locked thread