Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
It has riff-raff in it doing the riff-raff voice.

The movie is flawless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red state bait
Dec 9, 2006

Trees and Squids posted:

i bet you liked snowpiercer too

you didnt???

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

butplug accident posted:

it's a movie for gbs fags like donnie darko, op

nailed it

Dark City is dumb

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
For a high concept mid-late 90's movie it isn't bad - the psychic fighting was dumb, though - the same goofy thing 'Scanners' did but without the excuse of a low budget.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
so what kinda movies do u haters like?

admit it, dark city was better than 98% of the stupid poo poo out there and we need to be thankful for every good movie we get

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe

It’s no secret that Roger Ebert loved big breasts. Just goddamned loved them. America’s most iconic film critic had plenty of endearing quirks, but this is the one that made him seem most down-to-earth.

It was the promise of seeing some big-screen cleavage that led Ebert to the Biograph Theater one fateful day in 1965, to a screening of Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill!, directed by boob aficionado Russ Meyer. As Ebert would later write:

“I was struck by one powerfully-edited sequence where [Tura Satana’s] character, Varla, attempts to crush a muscular but dim-witted hero against the side of a barn with a Porsche. Meyer intercuts his bulging muscles, holding back the car, with her spike-heeled foot pushing down the accelerator, and the tires digging into the dust.”

Hoping to see some busty women in action, he had instead discovered an auteur.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I still can't believe that the dude who made The Crow and I, Robot actually made a legit good movie at one point

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

snowpiercer is one of the most retarded films ever made. i dont know how someone could have come up with something as ridiculously bad and gay as that film was

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

A misanthrope posted:

so what kinda movies do u haters like?

admit it, dark city was better than 98% of the stupid poo poo out there and we need to be thankful for every good movie we get

it's good because it has a automat

also neo-noir rules

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

A misanthrope posted:

blah blah bitchfest

Star Citizen also has one of the best communities around and everyone works together for a goal that is the best space sim to be ever made.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Dark City was great until the bad guys showed up. They were awful.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Dark City was great until the bad guys showed up. They were awful.

classic example of cool atmosphere being overpowered by the cheesy premise and even more by the final DBZ fight at the end.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
In 2014, an experiment to counteract global warming causes an ice age that kills nearly all life on Earth. The only survivors are the inhabitants of the Snowpiercer, a massive train, powered by a perpetual-motion engine, that travels on a globe-spanning track.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Trees and Squids posted:

In 2014, an experiment to counteract global warming causes an ice age that kills nearly all life on Earth. The only survivors are the inhabitants of the Snowpiercer, a massive train, powered by a perpetual-motion engine, that travels on a globe-spanning track.

spartacus on a train except with no memorable tits like the TV series.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Trees and Squids posted:

If they have a perpetual motion engine, why don't they just use it to produce an infinite amount of heat and thaw the whole planet?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't even seen Snowpiercer and I already love it just for the sheer amount of spergy outrage it has generated from people who still haven't figured out that movies are not in fact real life

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

skasion posted:

If they have a perpetual motion engine, why don't they just use it to produce an infinite amount of heat and thaw the whole planet?

what do you think the train around the world is doing, genius? It will just take decades.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

McDowell posted:

what do you think the train around the world is doing, genius? It will just take decades.

Giant hairdryer would be faster.

Orange Cat
Feb 26, 2013
Clearly you haven't seen babylon AD then.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I haven't even seen Snowpiercer and I already love it just for the sheer amount of spergy outrage it has generated from people who still haven't figured out that movies are not in fact real life

n 2014, an experiment to counteract global warming causes an ice age that kills nearly all life on Earth. The only survivors are the inhabitants of the Snowpiercer, a massive train, powered by a perpetual-motion engine, that travels on a globe-spanning track. A class system is installed, with the elites inhabiting the front of the train and poor inhabiting the tail.
In 2031, the tail inhabitants prepare for the latest in a series of rebellions. Guards arrive periodically to deliver protein blocks for food, and take some of the children. During the guards’ next visit, Curtis leads the tail inhabitants in revolt, forcing their way through several train cars to the prison section. There, they release prisoner Namgoong Minsu, the man who built the doors dividing each car, and his daughter Yona. They offer him Kronol, an addictive drug, as payment for unlocking the remaining doors.
One of the cars is filled with armed men. Under the orders of Minister Mason, the men battle Curtis' forces; Curtis' sides prevails, and he captures Mason, but he is forced to sacrifice his second-in-command, Edgar, to do so. Mason agrees to lead the group through the high-class cars in exchange for her life. In the school car, the teacher and a henchman draw machine guns, slaughtering many of Curtis' followers, and executing his mentor Gilliam; Curtis kills Mason for revenge.

Curtis, his few remaining followers, and Namgoong and Yona continue through the train, discovering the extravagance in which the elites have been living while the poor wallowed in squalor. One of Mason's henchmen, Franco the Elder, kills the rest of Curtis' followers before the henchman is himself seemingly killed. Curtis resolves to complete his mission, accompanied by Namgoong and Yona. The trio moves through the remaining cars where the elite indulge in food, partying and Kronol; Namgoong steals much of this Kronol from the inebriated revellers. As they arrive at the Engine door, Namgoong suggests they use the collected Kronol, made from explosive chemical waste, to blow open the side of the train, and escape into the outside; Namgoong explains that every year, the train has passed a crashed plane buried in snow, which has become less buried with each passing year, suggesting that Earth is warming, and that survival outside is now possible.
Curtis explains why he must confront Wilford, creator of the train and its hierarchy. When the tail dwellers first boarded the train, they were deprived of food, water, or supplies, in crowded conditions, forcing them to turn to cannibalism. Before the introduction of the protein blocks, Curtis had kidnapped an infant Edgar to eat him, and killed his mother, before Gilliam cut his own arm off and offered it in Edgar's place. Namgoong resolves to use the explosive, but the engine door opens and Namgoong is shot and wounded by Wilford's assistant Claude, who forces Curtis inside. Wilford explains that the revolution was orchestrated between himself and Gilliam as a means of population control, necessary to maintaining balance aboard the train for supplies, but Curtis was too successful and Wilford's own losses too great, so he executed Gilliam as punishment. The aging Wilford says that he wants Curtis to replace him as the train's overseer, while in the tail, Wilford's henchmen execute all but 18% of inhabitants.

Meanwhile, Yona and the recovered Namgoong fight off the irate partiers and Mason's returned henchman. Yona knocks Claude unconscious, gets inside the engine room and pulls up the floor to reveal that Wilford is using the tail children as slave labor, to replace the train's failing components. Outraged, Curtis sacrifices his arm to block the train gears, freeing one of the children, Timmy. Yona recovers the explosive from Claude and ignites it, before retreating into the engine with Namgoong. The damaged engine door fails to close, and Namgoong and Curtis sacrifice themselves to shield Yona and Timmy from the resulting explosive fire. The explosion sound wave causes an avalanche in the surrounding mountains that strikes and derails the train, destroying many of the cars and possibly killing everyone inside of them. In the aftermath, Yona and Timmy step outside into the snow. In the distance Yona spots a polar bear, revealing that life exists outside the train.

Effsix
Aug 5, 2011

Keep it moving, chicken people! These knockoff purses ain't gonna make themselves!
Dark City is fine by me, whaddya want? It's a noir sci fi 25 cents comic book story with a twilighty zone thing going on with some jazz and The Dude and Sutherland and moving buildings squashing people.
BTW a lot of people look good on screen but I can confirm that Rufus Sewell is bastardly handsome in real life, I saw him once in London and just gurned at him as he walked by (a little more hurriedly).

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I still can't believe that the dude who made The Crow and I, Robot actually made a legit good movie at one point

The Crow and I sounds wicked

Wits2k1
Jun 7, 2002

dark city is bad and dumb

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
This city is so dark, someone should turn on the lights

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Benedick Cuckold posted:

fascinating. this poster actually admits to liking a nerd thing in GBS, yet he still feels the need to include a stock anti-nerd, GBS-sanctioned disclaimer as a means to signal his continued loyalty to the in-group, head off any potential criticism of his opinion, and avoid excessive shaming by the community. each day, i feel i'm getting closer and closer to a Grand Unified Theory of GBS Posting.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Effsix posted:

The Crow and I sounds wicked
you meran the tv show ....

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012

skasion posted:

because its not actually a perpetual motion engine! plot twist :ssh:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

he did, it's called The Crow

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

"those things'll kill ya"

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
it wasnt that good, but it wasnt that bad either, imho

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Does anyone else feel like Brandon Lee's performance in The Crow is kinda similar to Heath Ledger's in The Dark Knight? The mannerisms and cadence in the voice is what does it for me, but I also watched The Crow while absurdly high on cough syrup because I was desperately trying to force the flu out of me and also I was retarded and 16.

At Waterloo
Dec 16, 2007

Oh baby darling you will see, your blood belongs to him a soulless feast.
In college I took a mythology class taught by a very goony lady. Instead of learning about actual mythology, we just watched poo poo like Memento and Dark City and wrote long rear end papers over how similar the movies were to well-known Greek myths. Dark City was apparently like the myth of the minotaur and the labyrinth? I dunno. It was stupid but Dark City is still an okay movie in my book, not the greatest thing ever though.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

JebanyPedal posted:

Does anyone else feel like Brandon Lee's performance in The Crow is kinda similar to Heath Ledger's in The Dark Knight? The mannerisms and cadence in the voice is what does it for me, but I also watched The Crow while absurdly high on cough syrup because I was desperately trying to force the flu out of me and also I was retarded and 16.

i think its just the makeup dude

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

They probably also have similar penises.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's no Gattaca!

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

The 13th Floor is another movie i remember from the gattica and dark city days

i remember liking it

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012

A misanthrope posted:

The 13th Floor is another movie i remember from the gattica and dark city days

i remember liking it

at first I was gonna say something about who the heck picks tony shaloob as the protagonist of a horror film and then I realized I was thinking of 13 ghosts not 13th floor

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

actually on further consideration the Crow isn't a good movie, it's just so egregiously awful that it has genuine entertainment value as such

Michael Wincott's performance is good though

(CAW CAW BANG gently caress I'M DEAD)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Arian_Samurai posted:

It's no Gattaca!

A movie about a guy with multiple physical problems trying to subvert the system and be put in a high risk situation that will probably lead to the death of the spaceship crew.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

actually on further consideration the Crow isn't a good movie, it's just so egregiously awful that it has genuine entertainment value as such

Michael Wincott's performance is good though

(CAW CAW BANG gently caress I'M DEAD)

It has has Sully from Commando and yes his character gets killed in The Crow

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Effsix posted:

Dark City is fine by me, whaddya want? It's a noir sci fi 25 cents comic book story with a twilighty zone thing going on with some jazz and The Dude

William Hurt is a cool dude but not the dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

At Waterloo posted:

In college I took a mythology class taught by a very goony lady. Instead of learning about actual mythology, we just watched poo poo like Memento and Dark City and wrote long rear end papers over how similar the movies were to well-known Greek myths. Dark City was apparently like the myth of the minotaur and the labyrinth? I dunno. It was stupid but Dark City is still an okay movie in my book, not the greatest thing ever though.

Every other movie is like the myth of the minotaur and the labyrinth if you squint your eyes just slightly.

• Locked thread