Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JebanyPedal posted:

Does anyone else feel like Brandon Lee's performance in The Crow is kinda similar to Heath Ledger's in The Dark Knight? The mannerisms and cadence in the voice is what does it for me, but I also watched The Crow while absurdly high on cough syrup because I was desperately trying to force the flu out of me and also I was retarded and 16.
in cut footage of the twilight zone film, one of the kids appears to be wearing goth makeup and making scowly faces right before the helicopter crashes into them. if you pause and zoom on the smoke, the words "murder you're famil" can be read on the screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

origami posted:

William Hurt is a cool dude but not the dude

John Hurt.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
how can someone say it's the worst movie theyve seen IN YEARS? i mean there are sooooo many bad movies out there. do u just not watch movies?

im mad

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

A misanthrope posted:

how can someone say it's the worst movie theyve seen IN YEARS? i mean there are sooooo many bad movies out there. do u just not watch movies?

im mad

'Jack & Jill' and 'The Zookeeper' are better than 'Dark City'

Obama is the worst president of all time

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Gotta go watch Dark City, now.

Eat a bag of dicks, OP.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
thisi movie was given 2 thumbs up by 2 dead people

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
I liked this more than the matrix at the time, haven't watched it since then though

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules
ive never seen it op

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
i think this film is overrated by nerds and generally surpassed by the matrix on all levels. sorry

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

McDowell posted:

'Jack & Jill' and 'The Zookeeper' are better than 'Dark City'

Obama is the worst president of all time

mcdowell you're lucky mom told us -- just before she died in that plane crash -- that we should never fight with each other

*i turn and blow the head off one of my evil minions*

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i saw this movie for 15 minute and it was bad had poo poo tone bad acting didnt indoctrinate world well boring as hell cinematography was ok

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
probably the worst "highly praised" movie thats been recommended to me my entire life

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

why is there no jennifer connelly images in this thread?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

toggle posted:

why is there no jennifer connelly images in this thread?

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
Haha, I love how unashamed it is.

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe
I didn't like it either, OP :cool::respek::cool:

Broshevik
Mar 25, 2011

No Pain

Kyrie eleison posted:

i think this film is overrated by nerds and generally surpassed by the matrix on all levels. sorry

"No"

- Keanu Reeves, The Matrix, 1999

naem
May 29, 2011

I vaguely remember this movie I think

onecircles
May 6, 2009
Dark City thought it was smart, but actually it was dumb. However, I think probably The Cube took place beneath that city.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I liked the movie. :(

Sometimes I use it to describe Saved By the Bell.

RAGE HOLE
Jun 7, 2006

Stendhal Stockholm

A misanthrope posted:

im mad

It is a lot like when a five year old walks out of a movie theater telling you Transformers 4 is the best ever when a few hours ago they were insisting that the video they were watching of Land Before Time part 19 was the best movie ever.

JebanyPedal posted:

Does anyone else feel like Brandon Lee's performance in The Crow is kinda similar to Heath Ledger's in The Dark Knight? The mannerisms and cadence in the voice is what does it for me, but I also watched The Crow while absurdly high on cough syrup because I was desperately trying to force the flu out of me and also I was retarded and 16.

Heath Ledger's Joker was actually a lot like 1970s Tom Waits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCSc6E4yG9s

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
SHUT IT DOWN

RAGE HOLE
Jun 7, 2006

Stendhal Stockholm

I'd make a gif of this but I'm already lying down. A shame.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

good poo poo my man :respek:

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Millstone posted:

thisi movie was given 2 thumbs up by 2 dead people

don't worry, they were immortalized in the blockbuster hit Godzilla back in 1998

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

A misanthrope posted:

im mad

im sorry it stings so much and is hard to accept but man i watch a lot of movies and i wasnt speaking in hyperbole. dark city is a big piece of cheesy poo poo. it stinks... it stinks real bad.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Trees and Squids posted:

im sorry it stings so much and is hard to accept but man i watch a lot of movies and i wasnt speaking in hyperbole. dark city is a big piece of cheesy poo poo. it stinks... it stinks real bad.

*fuckin mad*

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

A misanthrope posted:

The 13th Floor is another movie i remember from the gattica and dark city days

i remember liking it

It was OK but both Dark City and The Matrix did a better job with the same premise.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It was OK but both Dark City and The Matrix did a better job with the same premise.

i wonder what was going on in our culture at the time that produced all these "reality is a lie" "question the machine" type movies around that time? Fight Club kinda fits in there as well.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

etalian posted:

A movie about a guy with multiple physical problems trying to subvert the system and be put in a high risk situation that will probably lead to the death of the spaceship crew.

Seriously, I could not get over this the first time I watched the movie. You can't go to space, deal with it you loving rear end in a top hat.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

A misanthrope posted:

i wonder what was going on in our culture at the time that produced all these "reality is a lie" "question the machine" type movies around that time? Fight Club kinda fits in there as well.

Same reason why the 90s had so much Tipper Gore "think of the children" moralising, identity politics, and Dale Gribble-level anti-government consporacy theories; Since the Berlin wall fell we didn't have a scary monolithic foreign enemy to distract us so we looked inward for conflict.

Then 9/11 happened and our movies were about being brave enough to torture people.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I think Equilibrium was the last movie of that type.

That movie was really badass but really stupid at the same time.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

I haven't read the whole thread, but I feel the need to post here that Dark City is one of my favorite movies.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Same reason why the 90s had so much Tipper Gore "think of the children" moralising, identity politics, and Dale Gribble-level anti-government consporacy theories; Since the Berlin wall fell we didn't have a scary monolithic foreign enemy to distract us so we looked inward for conflict.

Then 9/11 happened and our movies were about being brave enough to torture people.

makes sense to me

good post, thnk u

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Dark City is like The Shining and Star Trek Voyager. I can't imagine why anyone would like them on any level, and when someone IRL says they do I actually think less of them as a person to the point of politely avoiding them in social situations.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:stare:

get the gently caress outta here

i hope you fall off a cliff. not even joking.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Frankenstyle posted:

Dark City is like The Shining and Star Trek Voyager. I can't imagine why anyone would like them on any level, and when someone IRL says they do I actually think less of them as a person to the point of politely avoiding them in social situations.

you're 2/3 totally right and 1/3 completely hosed. the shining? really?

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Trees and Squids posted:

i bet you liked snowpiercer too

yo I just saw this movie last night and it was dumb as gently caress, welp that's all I got to say

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Asspiercer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Frankenstyle posted:

hey dark city haters, look who you have on your side! this man is literally worse than a serial rapist. is that the kind of scum you attract?

i hope you are all ashamed of yourselves.

• Locked thread