Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goku im piss
Mar 18, 2005

Your mama was a snowblower

...of SCIENCE! posted:

actually goons mindlessly bashed Lindelof because their aspergers were severely inflamed by the fact that his scripts don't give long cold explanations of every little thing

"the magic island on LOST did weird poo poo because it was magic" and "the black alien goo in Prometheus does weird poo poo because it's alien" are like kryptonite to the kind of people who spend their time trying to outsmart movies by pointing out "plot holes"

were you trying to prove my point or

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

goku im piss posted:

were you trying to prove my point or

she's as inept as any of the nerds she thinks she's superior to

goku im piss
Mar 18, 2005

Your mama was a snowblower

butplug accident posted:

she's as inept as any of the nerds she thinks she's superior to

i only reference the Prometheus thread because when the sheer toxicity of the people trying to defend a visually rich but intellectually retarded movie reaches the point where they alienate the one guy who would have vehemently defended the film with them, but couldn't, because it was too stupid, its time to hang it up

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Trees and Squids posted:

are any of the other films by the Antichrist director/writer worth watching?

Dogville

Dancer in the Dark

Melancholia esp if you want to see the earth destroyed by a planet hitting it while Charlotte Gainsbourg and Kirsten Dunst cry about it and Kiefer Sutherland kill himself over it

He just made Nymphomaniac, a two-part film with Gainsbourg/Stellan Skarsgard/Dafoe/Labeouf/Thurman that's coming out on DVD soon, but it's 4 hours (his unreleased director's cut is 5.5 hours because he's literally insane)

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 7, 2014

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
Dark City is just okay. I think the concept behind the movie is better than the actual execution of the movie. The Matrix had a very similar concept and was much better as an actual film.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Chris James 2 posted:

Dogville

Melancholia esp if you want to see the earth destroyed by a planet hitting it while Charlotte Gainsbourg and Kirsten Dunst cry about it and Kiefer Sutherland kill himself over it

He just made Nymphomaniac, a two-part film with Gainsbourg/Stellan Skarsgard/Dafoe/Labeouf/Thurman that's coming out on DVD soon, but it's 4 hours (his unreleased director's cut is 5.5 hours because he's literally insane)

Don't forget Dancer in the Dark or the Riget series.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Cmdrmonkey posted:

Dark City is just okay. I think the concept behind the movie is better than the actual execution of the movie. The Matrix had a very similar concept and was much better as an actual film.

Dark City had way better atmosphere but The Matrix action scenes weren't a bunch of anime bullshit...until the next two

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Yeah, the action in Dark City can be beat, and that ending sequence was never fully to my taste (mostly because it took an already somewhat kitschy move and made it full blown tacky), but the setting and atmosphere, along with the noir vibe, gives it a really unique and fun feel for most of the film, it's also a pretty film with some great sets.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

JebanyPedal posted:

Yeah, the action in Dark City can be beat, and that ending sequence was never fully to my taste (mostly because it took an already somewhat kitschy move and made it full blown tacky), but the setting and atmosphere, along with the noir vibe, gives it a really unique and fun feel for most of the film, it's also a pretty film with some great sets.

It was basically the whole tone change trap in which a big cheesy fight at the denouement of the movie just doesn't blend in with the rest of it.

naem
May 29, 2011

Cmdrmonkey posted:

...the concept is better than the actual execution...

This is the defining phrase for all things 1990's lol

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

JebanyPedal posted:

Don't forget Dancer in the Dark or the Riget series.

Breaking the waves was really good

Design Spots
Jan 24, 2009

by XyloJW
As someone who had to sit through the english patient in a failing relationship, i hate that movie.

The worst movie I ever watched though was the one where the bullets curved.

I wait for movies now on ppv or whatnot, plus most movies theses days are part 2 this, and re imagined old movies.

Too tell you the truth though, I went to a screening of sabrina in an old cinema a few weeks back.

you use the colors in your head to make it not a black and white movie

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I liked that movie.

Effsix
Aug 5, 2011

Keep it moving, chicken people! These knockoff purses ain't gonna make themselves!

origami posted:

William Hurt is a cool dude but not the dude

Ah poo poo. All this time I though he was he. I have failed

SHUT IT DOWN, FOREVER

Arian_Samurai posted:

I think Equilibrium was the last movie of that type.

That movie was really badass but really stupid at the same time.

The easter egg on the dvd was pretty easy to find and worthwhile, the menu says "are you READY to enter the UNDERGROUND?" and if you go "huh, no!" instead of being the rebel you know you are you are taken to a 7 minute version of the film that is just the fight scenes.

butplug accident posted:

watch dogville and the idiots imo

I saw some of dogville at the cinema when I worked there, I thought it was hella dumb. I am the only one of my friends that has seen it that thinks so but if you're gonna make a door creaking sound while miming opening a door on a giant cluedo board and it's not supposed to be funny then what's the point.
A friend of mine made me watch the idiots and I was pleased to find out how much I enjoy stupid poo poo. Then they had the Spazfuck.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

im gonna watch dark city today and comment in this thread

Effsix
Aug 5, 2011

Keep it moving, chicken people! These knockoff purses ain't gonna make themselves!

Design Spots posted:

As someone who had to sit through the english patient in a failing relationship, i hate that movie.

The worst movie I ever watched though was the one where the bullets curved.

I wait for movies now on ppv or whatnot, plus most movies theses days are part 2 this, and re imagined old movies.

Too tell you the truth though, I went to a screening of sabrina in an old cinema a few weeks back.

you use the colors in your head to make it not a black and white movie

When I saw The Flintsones Movie I declared to the sky that this was the worst film ever. Since then it has been shuffled away from the top spot by other rage inducingly poo poo life-sappers.

The Flintsones Movie > The War Of The Worlds > Wanted > Hitman > Transformers

I can't put Terminator Salvation in there because I don't know what happened in most of it, it was so poo poo I only saw 5-10 minutes of it before I started sweating with rage and had to put on Terminator 2 to calm me down.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Effsix posted:

When I saw The Flintsones Movie I declared to the sky that this was the worst film ever. Since then it has been shuffled away from the top spot by other rage inducingly poo poo life-sappers.

The Flintsones Movie > The War Of The Worlds > Wanted > Hitman > Transformers

I can't put Terminator Salvation in there because I don't know what happened in most of it, it was so poo poo I only saw 5-10 minutes of it before I started sweating with rage and had to put on Terminator 2 to calm me down.

See, I don't get how on the same page you guys go from making fun of movie snobs to becoming them.

Effsix
Aug 5, 2011

a bone to pick posted:

See, I don't get how on the same page you guys go from making fun of movie snobs to becoming them.

Movie snob? Like, loving some films and hating others with a passion for various reasons? Ok then.

You think you know love, then one day the limits of how much you thought you could love are exceeded and it's more than you could imagine and it it overwhelming, it consumes you. It's goes the same with hate.

I gave Terminator Salvation a chance because I love Terminator 2 hugely and T3 was a bit of a let down. Not rage inducing, just meh. I reasoned that Salvation simply couldn't be as bad because T3 was slated all over the place and they'd be sure to not fluff it this time. I sat down really wanting to give it a chance, I wanted to like it, but from the start it was a Michael Bay wet dream with every shot being less than 3 seconds long for the low attention spanners out there, dialogue filled to the brim with hot liquid cheese and a cgi fight scene in which I wished both combabtants would die. Maybe it bothered me because I loved 1 + 2 so much, maybe if I hadn't seen Transformers (the most terrible thing ever) I would have been more tolerant to modern clones of it, maybe if I was a ten year old boy with no discerning taste I might have been kinder to it.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
indigo prophecy got poo poo fast, so i agree with whoever was ripping on it.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Effsix posted:

Movie snob? Like, loving some films and hating others with a passion for various reasons? Ok then.

You think you know love, then one day the limits of how much you thought you could love are exceeded and it's more than you could imagine and it it overwhelming, it consumes you. It's goes the same with hate.

I gave Terminator Salvation a chance because I love Terminator 2 hugely and T3 was a bit of a let down. Not rage inducing, just meh. I reasoned that Salvation simply couldn't be as bad because T3 was slated all over the place and they'd be sure to not fluff it this time. I sat down really wanting to give it a chance, I wanted to like it, but from the start it was a Michael Bay wet dream with every shot being less than 3 seconds long for the low attention spanners out there, dialogue filled to the brim with hot liquid cheese and a cgi fight scene in which I wished both combabtants would die. Maybe it bothered me because I loved 1 + 2 so much, maybe if I hadn't seen Transformers (the most terrible thing ever) I would have been more tolerant to modern clones of it, maybe if I was a ten year old boy with no discerning taste I might have been kinder to it.

man just look at this poo poo

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
me? movie snob?

*shits on self*

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003
:smug: Good morning, you're all just pretending to need this "medicine" because you're drug addicts.

:angel: Good evening, directed pharmaceutical use of amphetamines obviously enriches the lives of many itt and I just woul

JebanyPedal posted:

This, also it was way better than The Matrix

dablakh0l
Sep 3, 2002
GIFSoup

MMMMM Jennifer

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Nerds who get really into sci fi or like loving action/comic book movies as adults are beyond me

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

Someone mentioned Snowpiercer earlier and I've since seen it. Not quite as great as Dark City, but still great and much more dark.

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012

Portable Staplefrog posted:

Someone mentioned Snowpiercer earlier and I've since seen it. Not quite as great as Dark City, but still great and much more dark.

I thought this was really good but yeah of course goons have to be like "ITS NOT THAT GOOD AT ALL"

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Hesh Ballantine posted:

I thought this was really good but yeah of course goons have to be like "ITS NOT THAT GOOD AT ALL"

lmao if you like things

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Portable Staplefrog posted:

Snowpiercer... the first 60 minutes or so are quite alright, then it goes into a poo poo tangent. The ending sucks. If they had stuck to the class warfare and implemented the "today's revolutionary is tomorrow's tyrant" concept, it would have been great. I guess they had to meet their "hollywood happy action ending" quota though!
Still, a decent popcorn movie. Just don't expect any depth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

Pochoclo posted:

Snowpiercer... the first 60 minutes or so are quite alright, then it goes into a poo poo tangent. The ending sucks. If they had stuck to the class warfare and implemented the "today's revolutionary is tomorrow's tyrant" concept, it would have been great. I guess they had to meet their "hollywood happy action ending" quota though!
Still, a decent popcorn movie. Just don't expect any depth.

The happy ending wasn't happy enough to take away from what came before, I thought. They did do most of what you say you wanted.

• Locked thread