Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Dexo posted:

If the guy who is threatening your parent, keeps coming after shooting him you will probably keep shooting.

Honestly the real problem is like how goddamn accurate she was

Eh the off putting thing for me was the pace of the shots, really gave that impression of "Yup I know what I'm doing.". It'd come off differently if she sorta freaked out and hammered on the pistol instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
You guys are really making too much of that scene. I saw each trigger pull as a "Stay the gently caress down already!" reaction, and the accuracy of her headshot as just dumb luck. When poo poo gets real and you're moving on instinct, reason and rationality get thrown out the window.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
There's also the fact that the kickback of the shots (which they did a decent job representing) would make rapid shots impossible for someone with the upper body strength of a literal little girl.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
But yeah, if anything is going to give me PTSD is shooting dead a dood that wants to rip me limb from limb.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Death Gun identity speculation: As is always the case with anime, the OP has the hints. During the beginning when showing each character and their virtual counterparts, the Creeper Friend morphs into Death Gun. It's comical how blatant the imagery is.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Just for a simple yes no from novel readers but is Death Gun really the main antagonist of GGO? It seems like these hints being dropped are too heavy handed for him to be a actual threat outside of his DEASU GUN, and presumably someone gave him that power

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What a twist if it turned out to be Klein or Egil or somebody.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Suguha, Silica, and Lisbeth are actually Death Gun and this is all just a ploy to steal Kirito away from Asuna. :v:

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Suguha, Silica, and Lisbeth are actually Death Gun and this is all just a ploy to steal Kirito away from Asuna. :v:

And they are pre-emptively aiming to kill off both Kirito's competition AND the new potential harem member? It makes so much sense!

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Conot posted:

Just for a simple yes no from novel readers but is...
Death Gun's not Kirito and Sinon's only opponent, but he is the antagonist.

Bakanogami posted:

What a twist if it turned out to be Klein or Egil or somebody.
We already had Klein('s voice actor) as creepy Sinon-staring dude. :v:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

LiquidRain posted:

Death Gun's not Kirito and Sinon's only opponent, but he is the antagonist.

Btzz, failure to answer in the form of a yes-no.

The correct answer is "yes, but no".

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Just watched the episode, and while I know the answer is probably going to be "Japan :japan:", I'm really wondering why Sinon's not getting therapy, holy poo poo. The poo poo she's gone through sounds like exactly the thing therapy was made for.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Mikl posted:

Just watched the episode, and while I know the answer is probably going to be "Japan :japan:", I'm really wondering why Sinon's not getting therapy, holy poo poo. The poo poo she's gone through sounds like exactly the thing therapy was made for.

In the novel, she was. It just didn't help.

As you may have noticed by now, the anime is far more focused on its rear end-shot quota than it is on little things like useful background details.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The answer actually is :japan: anyways because it's apparently a cultural thing there to look down on any murderer, no matter the reason. So her therapists were less than helpful.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

The answer actually is :japan: anyways because it's apparently a cultural thing there to look down on any murderer, no matter the reason. So her therapists were less than helpful.

It's also a cultural thing to look down on people who seek therapy, because it implies you're too weak to handle things on your own and have to bother someone else with your stupid problems. So yeah, double whammy.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
How do japanese therapists get paid?

e: is this why anime is so hosed up?

Jackard fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 23, 2014

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Jackard posted:

e: is this why anime is so hosed up?

Yes. Of course, from Japanese standards our TV is equally hosed up, so it all depends on your point of view.

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012
I remember my mind being blown learning that in Japan when celebrities get caught using drugs it turns into a huge scandal and it's expected that their family members publicly apologize.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Feed Me A Cat posted:

I remember my mind being blown learning that in Japan when celebrities get caught using drugs it turns into a huge scandal and it's expected that their family members publicly apologize.

Or voice actresses enjoying having intimacy, because otherwise it would de-- and I'm not gonna finish that sentence because it's loving retarded.

As far as the therapist thing goes, I think it's that, beyond the "it's your problem, sort it out yourself" attitude, a lot of people are very much wary of the Sword and Firearms Law, which, from what I found out in my visits to Tokyo, is super loving draconian about its enforcement.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Feed Me A Cat posted:

I'm pretty sure that the Japanese stance on drugs is sufficiently extreme that getting caught with a trace amount of something may as well cost your job and marriage, and land you in jail. The yakuza also don't want to deal with it at all, supposedly.
Alcohol and plain tobacco are obviously legal, but letting minors get their hands on them seems to also be a major offense.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

ConanThe3rd posted:

So dumb question but what does BLK mean on the amusphere?

Pow and Wan makes sense (power, Wireleas Lan) but I can't mind what BLK would mean.

The bigger question is what use are the loving lights if they're on the OUTSIDE of the headset.

The headset that you put around your eyes.

gently caress, my immersion is already ruined.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Triggerhappypilot posted:

The bigger question is what use are the loving lights if they're on the OUTSIDE of the headset.

Not much use on the inside either since your senses are cut off.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Only guess but in testing its nice to have blinking lights on the outside to see if poo poo is working.

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

Chillyrabbit posted:

Only guess but in testing its nice to have blinking lights on the outside to see if poo poo is working.

From a post-sale troubleshooting standpoint too.

"AMUSPHERE SUPPORT Y MY VR NO WORK"
"Is the power light lit?"
"NO"
"...plug the power in?"

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I guess it's so that if someone walks into your room they can tell if you're playing a game or have fallen asleep with the headset on :shrug:

Pretty sure it wasn't even touched upon in the LNs either so we can't blame this one on the studio messing things up (Unlike the lack of description of GGO's core game mechanics, despite that action scene taking up more than half the episode, and the spoilers in the OP & end of episode 3).

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

HiveCommander posted:

I guess it's so that if someone walks into your room they can tell if you're playing a game or have fallen asleep with the headset on :shrug:

Pretty sure it wasn't even touched upon in the LNs either so we can't blame this one on the studio messing things up (Unlike the lack of description of GGO's core game mechanics, despite that action scene taking up more than half the episode, and the spoilers in the OP & end of episode 3).

Hey, the core mechanics of GGO will be explained when Kirito finally gets to GGO and starts learning how to play.

Which will somehow be two episodes from now as we deal with Real world problems and a special "Where are they now?" episode where they talk about what the rest of the cast of the first season is doing.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Don't remind me. They could've at least explained the sight lines since they spent the end of episode 1 and most of episode 2 showing Sinon's rear end skill at GGO.
I guess it makes sense that they sort out most of the game mechanics when Kirito buys his lightsaber and beats the poo poo out of that agility challenge but at least the sightlines could've been elaborated on. Even in this thread we've had a few anime-only goons saying they didn't understand what it was all about, and they can even tell that the pace is being dragged out something fierce.

All of GGO could be summed up comfortably in 10 episodes, tops :colbert:

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It could be he doesn't need to dump his stats into agility since his reaction times are so fast, it is why he got the dual wield ability.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

This is a show that treats its viewers as if they are a bunch of idiots, and honestly I don't blame them for doing what they have to.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I know that they are aimed at different demographics, but I think that Log Horizon did a much better job at the hand-holding and exposition/explanations of mechanics and powers. Even when it got to really silly territory with the info-dumping, it still managed to be a fun ride. Of course, part of the reason that I actually got into watching Log Horizon was because I read somewhere that Joji Nakata was going to play a sword-wielding gentlecat.

The fact that the character was also goony as poo poo about the in-game food and how to make it taste like actual food was the best cherry on top. :allears:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
In the latest episode of SAO2, Kirito does cool things because he is cool. That was literally all that happened this episode. Also he is a girl because :shrug:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

In the latest episode of SAO2, Kirito does cool things because he is cool. That was literally all that happened this episode. Also he is a girl because :shrug:

There was also a quick joke about how he failed to do a cool thing because the show is ever-so-slightly self aware.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I like how in the future, MMOs regress to becoming more player unfriendly and a complete bitch in efficient usage of time.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

ViggyNash posted:

Also he is a girl because :shrug:

Fanservice.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Start counting the number of times someone says X is impossible or has never been done before immediately before Kirito does X. Two in this episode alone!

ViggyNash posted:

Also he is a girl because :shrug:
I'm sure he will learn a valuable lesson about sexism and prejudice in the gamer community.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Sindai posted:

Start counting the number of times someone says X is impossible or has never been done before immediately before Kirito does X. Two in this episode alone!

There's going to be like 3 next episode a Kirito wins the entireity of BoB by Stabbin dudes and also doing bullshit like Predict the first shot a Sniper and dodge accordingly or some other such bullshit.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Sindai posted:

I'm sure he will learn a valuable lesson about sexism and prejudice in the gamer community.

Surprisingly, his first interaction with someone as a girl was not, "Hey, look at that hot chick!" and was instead was, "Holy poo poo, is that that super rare ))@*#$%()* model?!?"

Not that it improves anything, but at least it doesn't make it worse.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Sindai posted:

Him running through the map getting harassed by dudes is pretty accurate to my experience in random pug vents and Mumble's when a female talks.

Mostly players are bad. They waited for the prediction line. All Kirito did is trace the path the Bullet would have to take based off of where the Gun was pointing, rather than waiting for the Prediction Line and then dodging.

Kirito has had to dodge swords(from literal GM's with god powers) with no path assist, with his life on the line. He also have had probably about more 200% Dive Time than(that we have seen so far anyway) than any other Non-SAO player, and he was the best of those players.

The Anime lacks the inner dialogue that at least tries to explain things

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The part that was actually confusing was that apparently your avatar is random? And there are ultra-rare ones that are worth a ton of money? Is that ever going to come up again or was it really just an excuse to make Kirito look like a girl?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Sindai posted:

The part that was actually confusing was that apparently your avatar is random? And there are ultra-rare ones that are worth a ton of money? Is that ever going to come up again or was it really just an excuse to make Kirito look like a girl?

I have no idea but I'm guessing it's the latter. In fact, let me add to it: it's an excuse to make him look even more like a girl. The novels actually have Kirito point out during the beginning (as in, SAO, not the beginning of this arc) that he knows he looks girly, but I don't think he ever expected this level of girly looks.

As someone who's gotten confused for a woman multiple times, I fully know how bad it feels. Keep it on, bro. Just stop lying about your gender, especially in a MMO, you're much better off as a dude.

Talking about somehow agreeing with Kirito, he plays FPS games the exact same way I do: gently caress guns. Admittedly I never used a beam sword in any of them but only because I didn't have the chance to, so I had to stick with fists, axes, crowbars, etc. Borderlands is insanely fun when you forget it is a FPS, to add to that point.

And wow, is there a big difference between super-serious and broody "I WILL KILL HIM THEN I WILL BE STRONG AND LAUGH" Sinon and "HOLY poo poo THIS IS SO FUN GOTTA GO FAST" Sinon. I much prefer this one, can we keep this one?

• Locked thread