Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Oh man, I loved this game and thought it was criminally underappreciated. Some of the platforming later on is rear end, but there's a ton of solid fun to be had, especially for a guy like me who loves environmental damage/destruction.

I will say this, though- pick up the +Money/Karma% upgrades first thing. A lot of the later upgrades on both trees get wickedly expensive and you'll be glad you invested in those earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

GetWellGamers posted:

I will say this, though- pick up the +Money/Karma% upgrades first thing. A lot of the later upgrades on both trees get wickedly expensive and you'll be glad you invested in those earlier.
Yeah, I usually get them right after katana moves and Aswang. The fact that the distribution of money pickups in this game is really uneven doesn't help either.
It doesn't really matter with karma since not all of the skills are useful but I'm definitely not going to be able to get every single weapon upgrade in one playthrough. There is stuff that's safe to skip without missing anything though.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
This LP looks promising, will follow it. I am not sure if you know this already and just groaned at the pun, but an Aswang is a vampire/weredog creature from Philippine folklore. So, the ability is quite aptly named, not only for it sounding like "rear end-wang"

Thesaya fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 9, 2014

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
Compare: Aswang.jpg vs...

...rear end-wang.jpg

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
This game is great and really enjoyed it when it was released. Also, Hoji is the best character, ever :allears:

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

J.theYellow posted:

(Did you know this game was known as "Shadow Warriors" in the PAL regions for the first few games?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVz9__a8x-I

Also do not confuse with:

Shadow Dancer: That Shinobi game with the dog
Shadow Fighter: The one good Amiga Street Fighter rip-off

The original Shadow Warrior hit at the peak of Britain's anti-ninja censorship (because some kid took his eye out with home-made nunchucks or something) so the shuriken were replaced with darts. Someone on SA pointed out this was cleverly replacing a rare, difficult to use weapon with a common, everyday weapon anyone can obtain from their local pub.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Update time: How about some Spiritual Laxative?

I do apologize for the somewhat mismatched audio levels, technical issues happened and I had to stitch the tracks together into a frankenmonster. It should be watchable.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I think the whole over the top machismo and humour in this game is actually pretty fun and refreshing. God knows the FPS market these days are overflowing with games that take themselves so drat seriously.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

anilEhilated posted:

Update time: How about some Spiritual Laxative?

I do apologize for the somewhat mismatched audio levels, technical issues happened and I had to stitch the tracks together into a frankenmonster. It should be watchable.

The whole exchange at the end of that chapter solidified my love for Lo Wang as a character and the game as a whole.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Planète Rouge is a direct homage to Hergé's Tintin, the composition of the picture is extremely similar to The Black Island,

but the title and space suit resemble his (when it was written in 1954) Science Fiction story, Explorers on the Moon. Incidentally a surprisingly well researched story considering it was written years before the first space flight and well over a decade before the Apollo program in - the moon has less gravity, the rocket has 2 propulsion systems, one for in-atmosphere flight and one for deep-space flight (though the rocket itself is comically powerful - Single Stage to the moon and back - and the reason for the double propulsion system is for radiation protection rather than fuel efficiency) there is weightlessness (although also artificial gravity through constant acceleration, also quite impossible). Considering that there had never been a landing on the moon, his visual portrayal of the lunar landscape is also quite accurate. Basically it's a reasonable guesstimate of space travel compared to the real deal.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I feel so happy when offhandedly being mentioned in a video I feel I should be embarrassed.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
I just had the thought, anilEhilated, are you going to show off any of the extra katana skins, if you have them? It's hardly crucial, but it's a nice touch, and it'd be neat to see them in the LP for a bit.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Oblivion4568238 posted:

I just had the thought, anilEhilated, are you going to show off any of the extra katana skins, if you have them? It's hardly crucial, but it's a nice touch, and it'd be neat to see them in the LP for a bit.

I have the two that didn't require paying extra ten euros, but I'm saving them for the longer levels, as it's going to give me an opportunity to rant about the nature of DLC, universe and everything.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Holy poo poo I love the way he just says "gently caress your mother", I had the pause the video because I couldn't stop giggling.

Yeah crass humour is my thing.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

anilEhilated posted:

I have the two that didn't require paying extra ten euros, but I'm saving them for the longer levels, as it's going to give me an opportunity to rant about the nature of DLC, universe and everything.

I have most of them; I pre-ordered the special edition on Steam. Preordering from Steam provided a unique weapon, and the special edition included two unique weapons.

They also did a crossover thing where anyone that owns Saints Row IV gets another unique one. (Unfortunatley I don't.) Since then, they've done crossovers with Rise of the Triad and the Walking Dead, where you get unique weapons based on those games as well. And you don't even have to own those games. (And you can now get a Shadow Warrior katana in ROTT.) So I've now a choice of five alternative katanas.

Of course all of them are purely aesthetic. And most of them spoil the Japanese theme of the game, so while they might be fun for replaying the game they would be a bit immersion-breaking in a first playthrough.

(Yes, I pre-ordered a special edition and then only played the first hour of the game. Thanks to this LP I've started playing it again and I'm loving it.)

It's a shame that the "classic katana" was only available if you got the game from GOG... though the classic katana is nothing special. From the name I had thought it would look retro and pixellated as if it had come out of the original 1997 game, but I watched a youtube video of it and it is just a katana that has a spikey design to imitate the original. (Instead one of the special edition weapons covers the retro idea, though it's more "blocky" than pixellated.)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, I have the Rise of the Triad and Walking Dead ones so they'll definitely show up at some point. I actually debated getting the special edition for quite a while but in the end decided it wasn't worth the rather hefty price tag - soundtrack and art are nice, but those particular two katana skins (Serious Sam hammer and I think some sort of Hotline Miami weapon) just didn't grab my interest.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
I, on the other hand, got the special edition pretty much solely for the Hotline Miami katana, and I even used it a heck of a lot, too!

I... guess I've got all of the extra katanas, if Rise of the Triad and Walking Dead's are the last ones added. I haven't actually gotten around to those yet, but a couple of the ones you (and the one your evil twin) don't have use unique "reload" animations. So, if you'd like the ones you don't have shown off in the future, just for the sake of showing them off, I could probably throw together some cutting people and demons apart with them.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Sure, go for it! I would, however, appreciate if you held off until I get to show and talk about one of the skins - Chapter 5, most likely - so we have some context.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Good Lord Lo Wang is a fun character who gets a lot of poo poo from his demon buddy.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

ZenVulgarity posted:

Good Lord Lo Wang is a fun character who gets a lot of poo poo from his demon buddy.

They are a fantastic duo. Lo Wang it's like a mix of Kurt Russell and Dennis Dun character's in "Big Trouble in Little China" fused together in one, the competent martial artist guy and the moronic selfish dude who doesn't have a clue of what's going around

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 17, 2014

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

anilEhilated posted:

Sure, go for it! I would, however, appreciate if you held off until I get to show and talk about one of the skins - Chapter 5, most likely - so we have some context.

Of course! I'll wait for then.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Here's Chapter 4: I Can't Remember That Night Either.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Excellent update, this kind of areas were my favorite, open and full of jerks to kill in whatever order you liked, instead of the loving bamboo forest areas and that mountain we'll see later.

Keep up the good work for all the Wangaholics :allears:

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
There's something about executing an enemy that you knock down that gives a small special feeling.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
Making a formal request that the thread be renamed "an immense sense of vaguely phallic satisfaction".

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Yep, that's a nod to the original.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Schnedwob posted:

Making a formal request that the thread be renamed "an immense sense of vaguely phallic satisfaction".

Yeah, this is what happens when your contacts with English as a language involve way more reading than actually talking (and you're trying to make yet another stakegun-dickreplacement joke). Side effects may include positively fantabulous phrasing and relying on words I just can't pronounce right (see: particularly canal). Hopefully it doesn't detract from the LP too much, that being said, feel free to hit me with any and all corrections you folks feel necessary. I may even act upon them.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
Also, the Amate-Raxi is a real club in the Shibuya nightlife/shopping ward in Tokyo. It's only 7 years old as of this year.

Edit: Also, Flying Wild Hog was indeed co-founded by two ex-People Can Fly devs: Klaudiusz Zych, who was lead 3D graphics programmer on Painkiller; Tomek Baran, one of the engine leads on the Windows port of Gears of War; and Michal Szustak, tools programmer at CD Projekt around the time The Witcher came out.

Besides People Can Fly (aka Epic Games Poland,) there's also CD Projekt (founded as a republisher of anyone who didn't want to bother translating and localizing games for Polish speakers, now does the Witcher series internally), Techland (Call of Juarez, Dead Island) and QLOC S.A. (grew out of the original Cenega shop, did the Windows port of Devil May Cry: DmC) and, biggest of all in Poland, City Interactive (recently put out Enemy Front, and before that Sniper: Ghost Warrior 1 and 2.)

J.theYellow fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jul 23, 2014

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, this is what happens when your contacts with English as a language involve way more reading than actually talking (and you're trying to make yet another stakegun-dickreplacement joke). Side effects may include positively fantabulous phrasing and relying on words I just can't pronounce right (see: particularly canal). Hopefully it doesn't detract from the LP too much, that being said, feel free to hit me with any and all corrections you folks feel necessary. I may even act upon them.

Positively fantabulous is an understatement. Your choice of vocabulary gives your commentary a slightly academic tint- which when combined with the game's subject matter, a dry sense of humor, and a pretty extensive knowledge of what's going on- makes for fuckin' excellent commentary.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
So did I just see two rabbits copulating there at the end and is there anything to that?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Schnedwob posted:

Positively fantabulous is an understatement. Your choice of vocabulary gives your commentary a slightly academic tint- which when combined with the game's subject matter, a dry sense of humor, and a pretty extensive knowledge of what's going on- makes for fuckin' excellent commentary.
Oh, thanks then. I was getting kinda passive-aggressive there, glad we cleared that up!

McKilligan posted:

So did I just see two rabbits copulating there at the end and is there anything to that?
Yeah, I think I already talked about them but it's like this: the original game is chock-full of rabbit jokes and if you find two of them in any given location and return there later, you're bound to find more. They multiply like, well, rabbits. In the remake you very rarely have to backtrack so you don't really see the results - so you get to watch hot rabbit on rabbit action with cartoon hearts instead. And of course, trying to get the rabbit population under control puts you in deadly danger as seen in chapter 2.

J.theYellow posted:

Besides People Can Fly (aka Epic Games Poland,) there's also CD Projekt (founded as a republisher of anyone who didn't want to bother translating and localizing games for Polish speakers, now does the Witcher series internally), Techland (Call of Juarez, Dead Island) and QLOC S.A. (grew out of the original Cenega shop, did the Windows port of Devil May Cry: DmC) and, biggest of all in Poland, City Interactive (recently put out Enemy Front, and before that Sniper: Ghost Warrior 1 and 2.)

Just out of interest, since you seem knowledgeable about the matter - is The Farm 51 still around? I'm probably the only living fan of Necrovision but for what it's worth, the Polish are really good at shooters.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jul 23, 2014

sznurowadlo
Aug 20, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

Just out of interest, since you seem knowledgeable about the matter - is The Farm 51 still around? I'm probably the only living fan of Necrovision but for what it's worth, the Polish are really good at shooters.

Farm 51 is still around. Their latest game Deadfall Adventures was released in November 2013 which could be summarised as pulp adventure shooter with puzzles. Note that it is not worth full price.

They are now working on Deadfall Adventures: Heart of Atlantis for PS3 and a shooter with photo-realistic graphics i.e. GET EVEN. You can follow their stock performance here: http://www.bankier.pl/inwestowanie/profile/quote.html?symbol=FARM51 .

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Having just caught up, I would add that the High Strain System for the Crossbow isn't just an amazing upgrade but I think it is literally the most important weapon upgrade in the game. Less so on the easier difficulties but on Hard and up its accuracy and power will basically be a lifesaver against any number of enemies. Flying enemies, shield dudes, large swarms of weaker enemies that are charging from a fair distance away, bosses, it was my go to weapon for literally the entire game once I got it.

I've also learned I didn't shoot nearly enough environmental objects. Fireworks cart, sure; vending machine, why not; but I never shot those fire lamps when I played this.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'll get to the various applications of the crossbow a bit later, but suffice to say it's my favorite weapon for a reason.
Well, a reason unrelated to vaguely phallic satisfaction.
Anyway, the next video may be delayed a bit, I am going to be busy in my usual editing/commenting time this week. Hopefully y'all won't wither away from disappointment.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

A bit later to the party then I'd like, but I just have to chime in and add my love for this game, it is just really fantastic overall. The story works well and the pacing is pretty great, and even filler levels don't feel like filler because YES I GET TO KILL MORE DEMONS! It cannot be understated how enjoyable this game's combat is, and how great the weapons are in design and when using them to murder the poo poo out of demons. Keep up the great work anilEhilated, I look forward to seeing all those secrets I know I missed, and it's also nice to see the cutscenes when they aren't horribly disjointed by having a computer that can just barely run the game. Although a floating razor blade that is controlled by a ghost hand is pretty magical to watch!

A small note that I don't think has been mentioned, and is one of the many places you can really see the detail in this game is near the end of video 3 where Wang runs his fingers down the katana, and earlier in the video where he pops the revolver chamber out and spins it. This is actually what happens when you try to reload your katana or reload a full weapon, and each weapons has it's own individual animation for reloading while full.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
After following the LP of the original Shadow Warrior, it's nice noticing all the nods to the original. Looking forward to seeing the continuation!

For content: it's possible the bird-men are Tengu. I'm no expert on asian culture and most of my knowledge of japanese mythology comes from video games, but "japanese bird men demons" are definitely a thing.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Chapter 5: She's a Courier is up, despite the warnings I managed to get it on schedule; Youtube may still be crunching the HD version, though. Not too happy with the commentary on this one but the metaphorical poo poo is about to hit the nonmetaphorical Wang so there should be some new and exciting stuff to talk about soonish.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

Did you pick up something from the last Shaman?

This is a good LP.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

NinetySevenA posted:

Did you pick up something from the last Shaman?

This is a good LP.

Crossbow bolts. They sometimes get stuck in walls and enemies, forgot to mention that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Really love that you get more Tattoos the more Ki skill upgrades you get. Looking mighty yakuza there, Wang.

Also, Wow I remember dying a lot of times in that arena. Also looking back, I loved using the Akimbo Uzis and didn't regret getting the akimbo upgrade first.

InfinityComplex fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 29, 2014

• Locked thread