Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gymer
May 30, 2012
Concerning the meaning of Nobitsura Kage I did a quick search and immediatly turned up a forum post with a couple of dudes who at least seem like they know what their talking about.

According to them Nobitsura Kage could mean something like "Shadows even burn" or "Even shadows burn" or even something like "This sword burns shadows like wildfire burns fields". That's assuming the developer cared about the translation though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Judging by the fact that they called enemies in a Japanese setting 'Trolls' and failed to call birdmen 'Tengu' I don't think the devs cared that much about specific translations.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
It's still an improvement over the original game, where they didn't seem quite sure whether it took place in China or Japan.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
This is skirting around spoiler territory a bit, but burning shadows is a pretty accurate description of what the sword does. I agree that the devs played their mythology fast and loose (and even the China/Japan confusion is present - Gozu, for example, is based on a Chinese demon) but they do seem to have thought their plot through.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Oh yeah they've put enough work in to get the job done, but it's clear they havn't gone the extra mile either. The game is great, the story is not full of ovbious plot holes and is generally well written, but it's not one of those games where the devs have extensively researched the mythology and minor details of the setting so as to snag the 'extra' opportunities so to speak.

To use another example than the odd choice of enemy names; when Wang walked into the 'Cherry blossoms and koi ponds' area and commented about it being stereotypical I was hoping he'd ask why there's no thing that goes doink, or that there would be a thing that goes doink, but the devs missed that opportunity.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Yeah, the enemies are generic videogame demons but vaguely Asian themed and it does make it bland at times. They really should have pulled some stuff out of Japanese mythology because man there are some freaky looking monsters in there.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

They should have just given them more colour for starters. Grey/flesh-coloured bird men is not exactly eye-catching.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That might be deliberate since they gain a fair bit more color when they enrage - this way it's easier to pick out the larger threats in a crowd.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I overlooked this LP until recently for pretty much the same reasons I overlooked the game--I wasn't excepting anything worthwhile. But wow this really looks like a lot of fun and now I'm sad I ever felt otherwise.

Wasn't there an LP of Hard Reset going at one point? I don't see it in the LP archives.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Oblivion4568238 posted:

Nope, they are both Trolls, and the concepts for the tall shield and round shield guys are right next to each other.

And I'm pretty certain tall shield ones have attacked me with the dizzying thing too.

Looking closely at the shield guys in the video they are actually pretty ovbiously Oni, the big frowny glaring faces on their shields are Oni faces too.

I can only conclude they deliberately misnamed some of these guys because I can't imagine how they could have accidentally made something that looks like an Oni in a Shadow Warrior game and then call it a Troll.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Lotish posted:

I overlooked this LP until recently for pretty much the same reasons I overlooked the game--I wasn't excepting anything worthwhile. But wow this really looks like a lot of fun and now I'm sad I ever felt otherwise.

Wasn't there an LP of Hard Reset going at one point? I don't see it in the LP archives.

there was one but it got abandoned halfway (?) through. IIRC it was Jossirossi and someone else

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

double nine posted:

there was one but it got abandoned halfway (?) through. IIRC it was Jossirossi and someone else

Yeah it was Jossirossi and ChocolateDonuts, sadly their sleeping dogs lp seems to have gone the same way.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

Neruz posted:

Looking closely at the shield guys in the video they are actually pretty ovbiously Oni, the big frowny glaring faces on their shields are Oni faces too.

I can only conclude they deliberately misnamed some of these guys because I can't imagine how they could have accidentally made something that looks like an Oni in a Shadow Warrior game and then call it a Troll.

Maybe it's a meta-joke? Like you'd expect them to be called Oni, but instead...

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Schnedwob posted:

Maybe it's a meta-joke? Like you'd expect them to be called Oni, but instead...

Yeah that's what I mean, the artists clearly knew what an Oni is so calling it a 'Troll' instead has to have been deliberate, especially as Oni is more accurately translated as Ogre or Demon-Ogre, not Troll :v:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

If I'm understanding right, since there's several varieties of what I would call Oni, I think calling different varieties by other names makes a certain sense.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Eh as mythical creatures go Oni are fairly consistent in depiction; you can come across some really wild ones but usually they are depicted as hideous gigantic ogre-like creatures with sharp claws, wild hair, two horns growing from their heads and exaggerated facial features. They are also generally depicted wearing tiger-skin loincloths and carrying big iron clubs that they wield with incredible strength which leads to an expression about being like an Oni with an iron club; aka undefeatable.

The details usually vary, skin colour is typically red or blue but can be almost any colour, facial hair varies etc etc. But the overall image of 'a large horned ogre with an iron club' is pretty common across almost all depictions of Oni.

As translations go 'Troll' isn't really wrong or anything, its just unusual. Oni is usually translated as Demon, Ogre or Demon-Ogre, the Troll translation is pretty uncommon.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 19, 2014

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

...and they decided that Orochi wasn't evil and monstrous and destructive enough, and they appended "zilla", as in Godzilla. So his boss was basically named Lucifer Satandemon.

Zilla is in keeping with the plot of the original Shadow Warrior, where that Lo Wang had spent his whole career as an assassin for "Master Zilla," who ends up as the final boss of the main campaign. This Lo Wang is a lot younger, and with a few exceptions this reboot could just be explaining the same Lo Wang's early life.

TurboJ9000
Nov 4, 2012

J.theYellow posted:

Zilla is in keeping with the plot of the original Shadow Warrior, where that Lo Wang had spent his whole career as an assassin for "Master Zilla," who ends up as the final boss of the main campaign. This Lo Wang is a lot younger, and with a few exceptions this reboot could just be explaining the same Lo Wang's early life.

I think the whole thing is really so that at some point, someone can accuse him of playing god.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

J.theYellow posted:

Not really but we'll get into that much later on in the game. In other news, I'm back, so the next update should come on schedule on Tuesday. Spoilers: I die.

edit: It strikes me that I should've named the thread something along the lines of "No, really, it's actually pretty drat good".

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 22, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The general consensus on the web seems to be that Shadow Warrior 2013 is a good remake that successfully manages to capture the style and impression of the original but at the same time updates the gameplay and graphics to a modern state. So far from what I've seen in this LP I concur.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

double nine posted:

poo poo got called out. We both had a lot of life drop on us. I'd love to still finish it at some point. Flying Wild Hog make some really just fun games where everything is blowing up all the time. anilEhilated is doing a great job showing off that fact here too.

One thing he missed is that in the first level you can avoid getting in your car and just walk down the road. It takes like a full minute to get to the end and when you do the skybox is revealed to be a sheet and behind it are the robots you see in the next level (themselves a Hard Reset reference) but placed in the Hard Reset city setting. Not sure if he wants to show that off but I thought it was cute.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

JossiRossi posted:

poo poo got called out. We both had a lot of life drop on us. I'd love to still finish it at some point. Flying Wild Hog make some really just fun games where everything is blowing up all the time. anilEhilated is doing a great job showing off that fact here too.

One thing he missed is that in the first level you can avoid getting in your car and just walk down the road. It takes like a full minute to get to the end and when you do the skybox is revealed to be a sheet and behind it are the robots you see in the next level (themselves a Hard Reset reference) but placed in the Hard Reset city setting. Not sure if he wants to show that off but I thought it was cute.

I actually put it in a separate video but probably didn't link to it obviously enough.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Oh! Sorry about that then. It's not uncommon for me to follow OPs but not the thread, so its easy for me to miss side content sometimes.

VVV
He recently started some school for programming (I am so proud of him :3:) so that may put a damper on things unfortunately, but he's not forgotten it.

JossiRossi fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 24, 2014

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

JossiRossi posted:

poo poo got called out. We both had a lot of life drop on us. I'd love to still finish it at some point.

Know if donut will return to the sleeping dogs lp at some point? I needs me leg breaking.

Neruz posted:

The general consensus on the web seems to be that Shadow Warrior 2013 is a good remake that successfully manages to capture the style and impression of the original but at the same time updates the gameplay and graphics to a modern state. So far from what I've seen in this LP I concur.

Yeah, this is pretty much the best reboot I've seen.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Youtube is probably still crunching it but we're back on track with Chapter 8: Not Quite A Genie.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

anilEhilated posted:

Youtube is probably still crunching it but we're back on track with Chapter 8: Not Quite A Genie.

I think this is the shipping company they were referencing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maersk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjD9VvhXJrE

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Good to see that you recovered, AnilEhilated. Probably my favourite episode so far, just for your delivery. Really laughed at the part where you were trying to finish explaining the demon.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Yes, there's also containers showing "China Shipping" and "Evergreen" who are real shipping companies too, both Asian as a matter of fact.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 26, 2014

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
The "oh my God, Becky" line is from the infamous American pop song "Baby Got Back."

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Angry Lobster posted:

Yes, there's also containers showing "China Shipping" and "Evergreen" who are real shipping companies too, both Asian as a matter of fact.

China Shipping just sounds so fake that it has to be real.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Demon Heads were always pretty great to me because they meant,
A) You could empty one on a warlord to do some massive damage without wasting too many other bullets because you would get a replacement just for killing it.

and

B) It was the Slow Down button for my lovely computer. Every other bit of gameplay in this game went pretty smoothly, until I started firing the laggy beam of death at things. It actually got me out of some situations sometimes because I had more time to react!

AnilEhilated also demonstrated briefly why I used the shotgun on the fliers, sometimes you kill more then one in a shot! It also sort of showed how it just one shots crawlers more often then not, even if you aren't really aiming at them it can neuter them by cutting off arms and such, and saves on other bullets all around.

On the subject of dying, that fight with the multiple harridens and the shaman was probably the first place I actually died playing this game! It should not be understated just how much they jump around and ALWAYS appear behind you, and if they enrage you are in big trouble if there is more then one still. Hella fun to play even then, this game has just the right amount of difficulty on Normal mode, and they really do ramp up fights as the game goes on exceptionally well!

Cool Chulainn
Sep 5, 2011

Who's up for a game of Swords & Speedballs?
The secret with an extra fight is one of my favorites. I rather like having more fun in my games.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

"You made armour for the demon invaders. Shut the gently caress up."

I am crying from laughter with the delivery of that line, oh man why don't I own this game.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
As "that person with the artbook" I am always happy to help on providing the names of new enemies.

They're Warpers. Nothing fancy. Actually, that goes for about every basic enemy, doesn't it? Crawlers crawl across walls and ceilings. Mothers lay explosive eggs. Birdmen are... well, birdmen. And, so, Warpers warp.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Oblivion4568238 posted:

As "that person with the artbook" I am always happy to help on providing the names of new enemies.

They're Warpers. Nothing fancy. Actually, that goes for about every basic enemy, doesn't it? Crawlers crawl across walls and ceilings. Mothers lay explosive eggs. Birdmen are... well, birdmen. And, so, Warpers warp.

Honestly thought that they would be called Banshees, the teleporting demons. They really went basic with the naming convention didn't they?

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Great LP. I knew SW2013 was at least decent, but watching the first couple updates convinced me to buy a copy (sale price, fortunately) and play it myself. I'll check out the rest of the updates when I'm finished to see all the blasted secret areas I've missed.

The game really reminds me of a more juvenile Jedi Knight, with more fluid combat controls. The katana (lightsaber) is obviously going to be your weapon of choice in most situations, but most of the other weapons aren't useless either.

The skill that lets you absorb health from every successful ki move... that one's really nice. Combine that with the Zelda-like spin attack and you'll never need another medpac again. If you don't suck...

Sometimes I suck.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Oblivion4568238 posted:

I'm pretty sure they're another creature out of Japanese mythology; the Onibaba or Demon Hag. This would fit the themes we've seen thus far as most of the enemies have been various different kinds of Oni. While Onibaba aren't known for teleporting or dual-wielding swords they are typically described as having wild white hair, horns etc and are typically depicted wielding a knife and they definitely have the 'Oni Face' Noh Mask like the other Onis.

So yeah, probably Onibaba.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Spudd posted:

"You made armour for the demon invaders. Shut the gently caress up."

I am crying from laughter with the delivery of that line, oh man why don't I own this game.

I love all the quips that show just how much of a wannabe Wang is at the whole hero thing, that's a fairly unique approach for an action game. There's one line in particular I've been trying to get Wang to say pretty much since the start and he stubbornly refuses to: if you kill a demon with the dogvolver, he yells something like "Make my day, chump! poo poo, I always get that one wrong!"
On the other hand, him mangling some of the references makes it even hard to track them so thanks everyone for pointing them out - it kind of makes me wonder just how far out of their way did the Polish developers have to go in order to make all those jokes that work only in English/the Americans would get...

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

I love all the quips that show just how much of a wannabe Wang is at the whole hero thing, that's a fairly unique approach for an action game. There's one line in particular I've been trying to get Wang to say pretty much since the start and he stubbornly refuses to: if you kill a demon with the dogvolver, he yells something like "Make my day, chump! poo poo, I always get that one wrong!"
On the other hand, him mangling some of the references makes it even hard to track them so thanks everyone for pointing them out - it kind of makes me wonder just how far out of their way did the Polish developers have to go in order to make all those jokes that work only in English/the Americans would get...

Us Poles have a hell of a hard-on for American culture. Probably a holdover from the Communist days where the USA was seen as that wondrous land of dreams and wealth, or something, I guess?

Oh and also I've been following this thread from day one and I really dig it, both the game itself and your commentary. Keep up the good work, man!

cis_eraser_420 fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
I was surprised to see Chuck Bloody Norris advertising a bank when I went to Wroclaw a while ago.

• Locked thread