Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

M.Ciaster posted:

Us Poles have a hell of a hard-on for American culture. Probably a holdover from the Communist days where the USA was seen as that wondrous land of dreams and wealth, or something, I guess?
That's quite similar to what I was thinking; I'm Czech and while the most common remnant of the Cold War era here is simply hating Russians and everything associated, the cultural differences tend to make a lot of the stuff present blurrier than it ought to be. That's why I'm constantly asking people to help with the references since the devs obviously went for stuff that'd be more recognizable elsewhere.

Prenton posted:

I was surprised to see Chuck Bloody Norris advertising a bank when I went to Wroclaw a while ago.
We used to have him in a mobile phone provider advertisement series that basically poked fun at his incapability to change expression while "acting". Can't speak for Poland, but irony is one of the most effective ways to sell stuff around here.

edit: Funnily enough, edit isn't quote.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

I love all the quips that show just how much of a wannabe Wang is at the whole hero thing, that's a fairly unique approach for an action game. There's one line in particular I've been trying to get Wang to say pretty much since the start and he stubbornly refuses to: if you kill a demon with the dogvolver, he yells something like "Make my day, chump! poo poo, I always get that one wrong!"
On the other hand, him mangling some of the references makes it even hard to track them so thanks everyone for pointing them out - it kind of makes me wonder just how far out of their way did the Polish developers have to go in order to make all those jokes that work only in English/the Americans would get...

Even though they are written to be what a complete nerd would think is badass and witty Flying Wild Hog still manage to combine that with a remarkable amount of both restraint and variety. They don't even happen after every single fight (I don't know if its just random or maybe there's a karma points requirement relative to the fight itself so you only hear Wang quip if he thinks he's earned it) but they still probably wrote and recorded more than a person would hear in a single playthrough. I don't think I heard a single repeated quip throughout my entire first game and if I did they happened far apart enough that I didn't remember the first one by the time I heard the second. Thinking about how many other games just repeat the same 5 "witty" lines for every single fight the hero is in (which gets annoying within 30 minutes at best) really makes me appreciate things like that.

Also, speaking of the voice acting, anybody who has played Waking Mars (aka Space Gardening Simulator) you might recognize Lo Wang's voice since Jason Liebrecht also provided the voice for Liang Qi in that.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Kibayasu posted:

Even though they are written to be what a complete nerd would think is badass and witty Flying Wild Hog still manage to combine that with a remarkable amount of both restraint and variety. They don't even happen after every single fight (I don't know if its just random or maybe there's a karma points requirement relative to the fight itself so you only hear Wang quip if he thinks he's earned it) but they still probably wrote and recorded more than a person would hear in a single playthrough. I don't think I heard a single repeated quip throughout my entire first game and if I did they happened far apart enough that I didn't remember the first one by the time I heard the second. Thinking about how many other games just repeat the same 5 "witty" lines for every single fight the hero is in (which gets annoying within 30 minutes at best) really makes me appreciate things like that.

There are repeated one-liners, but you'll probably only notice three (possibly four, see below) of them: "Ooooh, that feels good" for healing, "Look, meat pinatas!" for flux and "Quick, pull my finger!" for shockwave. Protection might have one but a]I never heard anything while using it and b]it's protection, who gives a poo poo.
Weapon kill quips can show up multiple times, but they're pretty well spaced out - maybe they don't repeat in a level or something.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

404 fortune not found

made me giggle. That's got quite the nerd-level.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So I didn't know that this game was getting a console release, but now I know it's been delayed. Expect it in October on PS4 and Xbone.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Because who doesn't love aiming with a controller? PC racism aside, here's Chapter 9: I Liked You Better When You Were Dumb And Gorgeous.

I really need to pick a better time to post updates.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 2, 2014

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Luke Skywalker was a moisture farmer on Tatooine. And Portland has a reputation as a city full of hipsters who say things like "I was into <x> before it was cool".

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
That bridge is a loving death trap, in my first playthrough I died several times on it, learned my lesson and never tried to jump over anything unless it was strictly necessarily. Falling damage was my enemy number #1, followed closely by the swarms of rear end in a top hat flyers.

The laws of physics in this game were a bitch.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Angry Lobster posted:

That bridge is a loving death trap, in my first playthrough I died several times on it, learned my lesson and never tried to jump over anything unless it was strictly necessarily. Falling damage was my enemy number #1, followed closely by the swarms of rear end in a top hat flyers.

The laws of physics in this game were a bitch.

I still feel like fall damage(At least without a way to negate it) is a bad design idea in arcade games like this.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Falling damage is almost always a bad idea; this is a very hard thing for most people to grasp though.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

When I first saw the name of this level before getting to where it gets dropped, I was only slightly disappointed because at that point the game had demonstrated that the level titles would get used in pretty unexpected and hilarious ways! When it finally got dropped by the twins, I couldn't help grinning personally. It's kind of a small turnaround on the stereotype, but I personally liked it a lot.

As to the actual gameplay, this is probably the place where I started to get annoyed at all the fliers that came in at the end of every fight. That minigun is absolutely 100% the best thing in that level for dealing with them ever and it is great. I also don't honestly dislike the lack of new enemies, I very much felt this level reinforced the idea of the kiddie gloves coming off and showing that the demons were competent in their invasion force choices and the only real stopping point was the rear end in a top hat with the katana and tons of guns murdering them left and right. It very much felt like they were bringing force to bear because they had lost the first piece of the Nobistura Kage. And the combat in this game is hella fun so not like I can complain too much!

As for the flamethrower, when I got it first I was a bit underwhelmed myself, but at the same time tried to use it when I could for free damage and to make room for when I found ammo of it. I'm not sure I ever got to the alt-fire till much later in the game, as I made the mistake of not getting the extra money perks till around now I think and missing out on a lot of the secrets like most people do their first time through the game.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

That "Bitch!" Was the best delivered bitch in the history of bitch.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Nalesh posted:

That "Bitch!" Was the best delivered bitch in the history of bitch.

There is a certain cadence to it that makes it such a joy to listen to.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

double nine posted:

There is a certain cadence to it that makes it such a joy to listen to.
Hoji's VA does an amazing job through the entire game, especially considering he has to put up with his whole weird unearthly voice filter thingy. It's kind of interesting that his voice is the only one that gets distorted - and not all the time, which may even be plot-relevant.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

SaffronKit posted:

As for the flamethrower, when I got it first I was a bit underwhelmed myself, but at the same time tried to use it when I could for free damage and to make room for when I found ammo of it. I'm not sure I ever got to the alt-fire till much later in the game, as I made the mistake of not getting the extra money perks till around now I think and missing out on a lot of the secrets like most people do their first time through the game.

The flamethrower, in my experience, is the best weapon for taking down fliers, because it has a pretty reasonable range (with upgrades?) and the low damage is negated by the fliers having basically no health. It just toasts them in an instant and doesn't require any aiming.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

It can actually reach fliers? That flamethrower looked painfully anemic. Like an aerosol can held up to a lighter weak. But I've found that almost all video game flamethrowers are awful, so I'm just naturally biased against them by now.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It can usually hit fliers if you jump; the problem is that just setting them on fire (which is about all your air time allows for) doesn't always kill them and then you have to bother with the same enemy twice. Besides, if you can hit them with the flamethrower, you can also hit them with a Divider and that takes care of them in a much more reliable fashion.

edit: The only good videogame flamethrower I remeber off the top of my head was in C&C: Renegade. Wolfenstein 2009 had a passable one but it didn't really fit into that game's style. And its best upgrade came like in the last mission.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 3, 2014

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Tuxedo Ted posted:

It can actually reach fliers? That flamethrower looked painfully anemic. Like an aerosol can held up to a lighter weak. But I've found that almost all video game flamethrowers are awful, so I'm just naturally biased against them by now.

Flamethrowers are pretty useless in real life too so ... truth in video games?

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

double nine posted:

Flamethrowers are pretty useless in real life too so ... truth in video games?

Another log on the fire of realism is not good game design.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Flamethrowers are both way more useful and way less useful in real life than in vidjeo games. On the one hand real life flamethrowers have a surprisingly good range and shoot what is basically a sticky stream of burning napalm which sends out lots of choking, noxious smoke and gas which means that they are incredible at making life absolutely miserable for people in enclosed spaces. On the other hand they're kind of indiscriminate, incredibly bulky, weigh a goddamn ton, have bugger all ammunition and are only useful in fairly niche circumstances, circumstances that can be solved by other less troublesome weapons.

Video Game flamethrowers usually have none of the flaws of their real life counterparts, but none of the advantages either.

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Neruz posted:

Flamethrowers are both way more useful and way less useful in real life than in vidjeo games. On the one hand real life flamethrowers have a surprisingly good range and shoot what is basically a sticky stream of burning napalm which sends out lots of choking, noxious smoke and gas which means that they are incredible at making life absolutely miserable for people in enclosed spaces. On the other hand they're kind of indiscriminate, incredibly bulky, weigh a goddamn ton, have bugger all ammunition and are only useful in fairly niche circumstances, circumstances that can be solved by other less troublesome weapons.

Video Game flamethrowers usually have none of the flaws of their real life counterparts, but none of the advantages either.

flamethrowers are really good at encouraging people to leave enclosed spaces

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

TomBosleyExp posted:

flamethrowers are really good at encouraging people to leave enclosed spaces

Assuming they can, of course.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
People who willingly use flamethrowers are usually also insane in some way. It takes a sick man to be able to watch another human burn alive.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Let's be honest: video games have always had problems with weapons that had more complicated mechanics than hitscan/slow moving projectile (ie doom plasma/rocket projectiles) weaponry. It's quite difficult to estimate range in video games (can my flamethrower reach X distance) and since they don't simulate smoke or temperature heat transfer, you're never going to get weapons with the utility of flamethrowers.

Iretep posted:

It takes a sick man to be able to watch another human burn alive.

that too, but that's true for many npc deaths in vidja games: flamethrowers, garotte, chainsaw, shurikens, vehicular manslaughter of all varieties, all knive weapons you can think of, ... Really anything that's not a headshot is going to be agony for the victim.

double nine fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 3, 2014

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

anilEhilated posted:

Hoji's VA does an amazing job through the entire game, especially considering he has to put up with his whole weird unearthly voice filter thingy. It's kind of interesting that his voice is the only one that gets distorted - and not all the time, which may even be plot-relevant.

Ladies and gentlemen, Alex Dobrenko as the voice of Hoji. Had been based in Austin, but more recently L.A.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiJfgUZ2WMM

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I forgot to mention anilEhilated, thanks for the shoutout in video about the shotgun being rather enjoyable to use against fliers! :)

I'm glad it has grown on you, as it really is a fun weapon even without the upgrades. The alt-fire is just super enjoyable to use againest really big groups or up in the face of something REALLY big like a warlord, if I wasn't just using a divider on them when I got pulled I'd have my shotgun out and ready to shove the alt fire into its face.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

J.theYellow posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, Alex Dobrenko as the voice of Hoji. Had been based in Austin, but more recently L.A.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiJfgUZ2WMM

Holy poo poo, nothing like I imagined.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Nalesh posted:

Holy poo poo, nothing like I imagined.
Seriously. It's like seeing Logan Cunningham on screen after having played Bastion.
Anyway, a bit of warning, the next update might end up being a tiny bit delayed as I'll be busy over the weekend and the level takes forever. I'm still hoping to put it out on schedule, just don't expect to.

SaffronKit posted:

I'm glad it has grown on you, as it really is a fun weapon even without the upgrades. The alt-fire is just super enjoyable to use againest really big groups or up in the face of something REALLY big like a warlord, if I wasn't just using a divider on them when I got pulled I'd have my shotgun out and ready to shove the alt fire into its face.
This is one of the things that didn't occur to me when I vaguely planned to do an LP and quickly became my favorite part of the whole business: I'm learning stuff about the game too. The zoomed in PDW, shotgunning fliers, now I'm tempted to go out and try to fry a couple with the flamethrower just for the sake of roast demon. The dialogue going on here is great.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Sep 4, 2014

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
Regarding your confusion with the plot. If I remember correctly, the unintelligible dialogue part where you overhear the sisters just before you rescue them has them planning to backstab wang. That should hopefully clear things up for you.

Also seconding the flamer being useful against the fliers. Most of the swarms fly just low enough that running straight below them and emptying a clip to the sky in their general direction usually wipes out most of the swarm in an instant. There might be a few high flying stragglers that don't die in the first spray, but they tend to close in to replace the dead ones and if they don't, there's few enough left that you can finish them of with something else. At least the flamer was my go to weapon against flyers. There may be some specific encounters like the turret segments, where the fliers don't close in to flamer range by themselves, but I don't ever remember having a problem using it against them or having to jump.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Chapter 10: We Should Stick To The Lack Of Plan is out.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

I just love bullshit hitboxes on weakspots, just be glad if you haven't played the sanctum series, probably the biggest offender of it ever on some of the enemies :v: Still fun games all things considered

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That's actually what eventually turned me from Sanctum 2; the rocket launcher makes really pretty explosions and I'm all for that but kinda prefer my booms actually doing something.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
It's funny you mentioned that you believe Kyokagami are a mirror to Hoji and Wang because Kagami means literally "mirror", and Kyo? Don't know for sure, house? place of residence?

So you're probably right, and a good update as well, keep it up.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
I'd just like to point out that the "Hail to the king, baby" thing is actually quoting Ash, from the Evil Dead series, whom Duke Nukem was also quoting. It's a reference to a reference! :eng101:

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
"Hail to the king baby" is indeed a Duke Nukem quote, but Duke Nukem quotes the character Ash Williams (Bruce Campbell) from the Evil Dead movie series.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
"Miss Congeniality" is an award historically given at beauty pageants, and often regarded as a lesser prize to placate a less worthy winner -- the girl who's pretty, sure, but just really, really friendly.

jwalrus
Jul 27, 2007

J.theYellow posted:

"Miss Congeniality" is an award historically given at beauty pageants, and often regarded as a lesser prize to placate a less worthy winner -- the girl who's pretty, sure, but just really, really friendly.

The prize itself is awarded by the participants in the pageant, who vote for the contestant they consider to be "the most congenial, charismatic and inspirational participant." It's also used ironically to describe someone with a bad attitude, or who doesn't get along with anyone. That's probably what Wang was getting at.

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!

J.theYellow posted:

Also that's a movie by Sandra Bullock. Don't know why I remember that.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

This level is absolutely very fun and it only gets better as you get the Rocket Launcher. And then you fight the Berserker. anilEhilated really kind of made the fight look easy, and skimmed over the fact that even on Hard, the next difficulty level up, they get WAY more health and it no fun at all trying to hit the weakspot on the spot and only hearing the bullets ping off, and just how fast they can turn while charging. You really need to wait till almost the last second before dodging out of the way to get them to run into the wall.

Seriously, gently caress Berserkers.:argh: Worst enemy in the game to fight in my book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

That's actually what eventually turned me from Sanctum 2; the rocket launcher makes really pretty explosions and I'm all for that but kinda prefer my booms actually doing something.

If you stick with it, some of the perks actually makes the rocket launcher insanely good, and there's some secondary weapons that are really good at hitting weakspots.

• Locked thread