Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
It's really refreshing to get a singleplayer FPS game with great graphics and gameplay that was made specifically for PC. (Though they have now made a PS4/Xbox One version.)

The prologue is such a fantastic introduction. All the guys start out by taunting Lo Wang and then after about 30 seconds of combat they are horrified and panicking.

I pre-ordered Shadow Warrior and absolutely loved playing the prologue and first chapter, and told everyone about how awesome it was. But then I never got round to playing the rest of it! You've definitely inspired me to get back into it again.

After the intro cutscene with Lo Wang driving, the first thing I did was to turn around and see whether there was an invisible wall to stop you from walking back out of the entrance. Nope! You can actually spend 5 minutes walking all the way back down the road that Lo Wang drove along. (There's actually a sort of easter egg at the end, but I don't think it counts as an official secret.)

The original Shadow Warrior was essentially an oriental-themed reskin of Duke Nukem 3D, with the same sort of level design and gameplay and the same crass sense of humour. Flying Wild Hog and Devolver succeeded in updating the formula and avoided all the mistakes that 3D Realms/Gearbox made with with Duke Nukem Forever.

Big arsenal of lots of weapons that you can carry at the same time? Check. Exploration? Check. Immature/nerdy sense of humour? Check. And they managed to capture that sense of humour without the mild misogyny and racism of the original. (Of course it wouldn't be Shadow Warrior without naked anime girls... so they kept them as the exact same pixellated anime girl drawings as in the original.)

And it uses the original game's mix of sci-fi and supernatural and expands on it to create an interesting universe and a justification for new types of gameplay.

Flying Wild Hog's previous game Hard Reset was hilariously incomprehensible, and existed purely as an excuse to blow up robots. And plot wasn't a strong point in 90s shooters like Shadow Warrior. So it is impressive the amount of effort they put into the plot, setting and characterisation. The same goes for Machinegame's Wolfenstein: The New Order. I hope this is the start of a new trend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Oh, definitely. This is not a game for perfectionists, getting full points in everything tends to get in the way of enjoyment. There was some talk about this in the LP thread for the original game and basically it ended up in the guy simply refusing to play the remake because it's so annoying to get perfect scores.

Oh there was a recent LP of the original game? I know the LP archive has one from 2010, but if there was talk of this remake then it must have been pretty recent and I somehow missed it completely. Anyone got a link? (I have archives.)

Your LP inspired me to resume playing this game. I think I'm about a third of the way through it now.

It never occurred to me to shove the explosive barrels down the hill. Instead I tried to shoot the barrels when the demons reached that spot. Kicking them down is cooler (even with the chance of them going off course).

Also didn't know about the evil rabbit attack! I killed one rabbit, didn't do it again as I'm not one for unnecessary cruelty to animals. (Even imaginary virtual ones.)

As for your commentary - I felt the amount of commentary in that video was perfect. If you have interesting things to say, feel free to continue chatting. If you run out of things to to say, that's OK too. But it's all good so far.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

I have the two that didn't require paying extra ten euros, but I'm saving them for the longer levels, as it's going to give me an opportunity to rant about the nature of DLC, universe and everything.

I have most of them; I pre-ordered the special edition on Steam. Preordering from Steam provided a unique weapon, and the special edition included two unique weapons.

They also did a crossover thing where anyone that owns Saints Row IV gets another unique one. (Unfortunatley I don't.) Since then, they've done crossovers with Rise of the Triad and the Walking Dead, where you get unique weapons based on those games as well. And you don't even have to own those games. (And you can now get a Shadow Warrior katana in ROTT.) So I've now a choice of five alternative katanas.

Of course all of them are purely aesthetic. And most of them spoil the Japanese theme of the game, so while they might be fun for replaying the game they would be a bit immersion-breaking in a first playthrough.

(Yes, I pre-ordered a special edition and then only played the first hour of the game. Thanks to this LP I've started playing it again and I'm loving it.)

It's a shame that the "classic katana" was only available if you got the game from GOG... though the classic katana is nothing special. From the name I had thought it would look retro and pixellated as if it had come out of the original 1997 game, but I watched a youtube video of it and it is just a katana that has a spikey design to imitate the original. (Instead one of the special edition weapons covers the retro idea, though it's more "blocky" than pixellated.)

• Locked thread