Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

What is this?

Shadow Warrior 2013 is a reimagining of a 1997 shooter of the same name. Developed by the Polish company Flying Wild Hog (previously responsible for Hard Reset) and published by Devolver Digital (Serious Sam, Hotline Miami, Luftrauser) and released in 2013, it was released to mostly mediocre reception and quickly forgotten. That was a mistake.

Riiight. So why should I care?

Because the game is amazing. I was actually introduced it here on SA by a video in the let's try thread by JamieTheD and this game immediately became one of my favorite shooters of all time. It's fast, it's furious, it's fresh and it's (mostly) funny. The fact it was developed by a relatively unknown company and didn't get much media exposure really hurt what I consider the best shooter since Bulletstorm.

How are we going to go about this?

I'm going to play through the game's story mode on Normal - while I've beaten it on higher difficulties, all this does is turn enemies into bullet sponges and it's not very fun to watch. I am not going to get maximum rankings on every fight but I will show off all the secrets. Updates should be coming weekly.

Should a miracle happen and some discussion take place, I'd appreciate tagging any spoilers. Believe it or not, this game's plot is actually pretty drat good.

Enough talk, it's chopping time.

Videos:
Intro
Prologue: Mr Two Million Dollars
Chapter 1: A Like rear end in a top hat, C Like Champion...
Chapter 2: The Party Bus
Chapter 3: A Spiritual Laxative
Chapter 4: I Can't Remember That Night Either
Chapter 5: She's a Courier
Chapter 6: Home Sweet Home
Chapter 7: You Should See The Other Guy
Chapter 8: Not Quite A Genie
Chapter 9: I Liked You Better When You Were Dumb And Gorgeous
Chapter 10: We Should Stick To The Lack Of Plan
Chapter 11: Just Like A Maggot Should
Chapter 12: Some Of Us Have Learned Not To Burn Bridges
Chapter 13: A Taste Of The Price We Agreed Upon
Chapter 14: I'm Content To Kill Right Here
Chapter 15: I Wish I Knew How To Quit You
Chapter 16: Make It Right
Chapter 17: If This Is Victory...

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Weapons:

Game says:
The elegant weapon of the samurai is simply the best sword ever devised. Zilla industries combines tradition with technology, fitting laser-whetted folded steel into strong, yet lightweight carbon fiber handle for unparalleled ease, whether cutting metal or bone.
Leather Tsuka: The energies emitted by this leather wrapping fill any blade with mystical power, increasing damage by 20%.
Ancient Tsuba: Legend says this tsuba accelerates the regenerative abilities of the sword wielder, adding 5% chance to drain health from the enemy
Engraved Blade: The smith who made this sword was said to achieve final enlightenment by forging this blade. Every slash it makes generates a deadly Ki wave.
Shurikens: A sharpened, star-shaped weapon primarily used for throwing. Press Q to deploy them while wielding your katana.

anilEhilated says: Wang's signature weapon, it's entirely possible to go through most of the game while relying just on the katana. On lower difficulties anyway. Its upgrades don't unlock with money but plot progression, which would normally lower its usefulness, but thankfully we can enhance it using a variety of karma perks:
Divider of Heavens (Forward, Forward, Hold/Release left mouse) is a move used for breaking key shrines and skewering demons.
Circle of Iron (Sideways, Sideways, Hold/Release left mouse) slices everything around Wang, hitting his original target twice.
Wing of Crane (Back, Back, Hold/Release left mouse) projects a wave of pure concentrated anime capable of chopping enemies in half.
Aswang Hunger passively allows us to heal ourselves by hitting enemies with any of the above.

Game says:
Tosainu Type 13 Revolver: Named after Japan's largest dog breed, the Tosainu Type 13 is one of the most powerful and reliable revolvers ever made. It is the favored weapon of security advisors worldwide.
Single action: A mod with lighter trigger pull and smoother cocking. Hold RMB to switch to Western-style rapid fire.
Lightweight Cylinder: Made of extremely durable and lightweight alloys, this cylinder inreases the rate of fire by 20%.
Extended Barrel: Longer barrel with recoil compensator. Increases accuracy by 50%.
Ammunition: .455 Tosa round is designed for high muzzle energy granting very high stopping power.

anilEhilated says... The dogvolver is one of the most reliable guns in your arsenal, delivering fast and powerful shots all the way to the endgame. If you're hurting for money, it's fairly safe to skip the attack speed upgrade since the alternate fire remains unaffected - still all the upgrades are dirt cheap so you might as well go the whole way.

Game says:
Zi-Type 23 PDW: Production of this personal defence weapon had to be stopped after Zilla Industries lost a lawsuit agains one of German defence manufacturing companies.
Akimbo: The low recoil and excellent balance of the Type 23 allows the skilled user to operate two guns at once. Hold RMB to active this alternate firing mode.
Match Grade Barrel:This barrel is fitted with smaller muzzle breach and polished bore granting 25% more damage.
Laser Sight: Red dot laser sight significantly increases accuracy.
Ammunition: Zilla's 4.6x30 are lightweight but quite useful in large numbers.

anilEhilated says...
The submachinegun starts off rather underwhelming - inaccurate, weak but fast, you know the drill. With upgrades it turns into one of the most damaging guns in the game and becomes the supreme bosskiller. The description is apparently a reference to the weapon looking like an H&K MP7 (thanks Wanderer!) slightly altered to avoid having a real gun in the game.

Game says:
Mamushi Type-14 Crossbow: An ancient weapon now used primarily by big game hunters and spec ops. As deadly as the snake it's named after, the Mamushi combines accuracy with deadliness.
Sticky bombs: These remotely detonated RDX-filled heads turn Mamushi into a grenade launcher. Press RMB to fire up to three high-explosive grenades. Press LMB to detonate them at the optimal moment.
High-strain system: This enhanced servo system increases the force applied to bolts, multiplying their damage up to 4x. Hold LMB to charge and release to fire.
Extended mag: This cylinder magazine holds 25% more bolts. Allows for longer hunts without reloading.
Crossbow Bolts: These mechanical broadheads can pin down any problem!

anilEhilated says...
The crossbow, in its unupgraded state, works pretty much like a dogvolver 2.0: even slower, even more powerful. The upgrades, specifically the charge shot and sticky bombs, turn it into a tool of total destruction and my personal favorite weapon of the game; it's also one of Wang's best friends at higher difficulties, since the charge shot is the most efficient means of dealing ranged damage in the game cost-wise.

Game says:
ZICS-C Shotgun: Zilla industries combat shotgun. Though cheap, reliable and easily customizable, the civilian version lacks a clip and full automatic fire mode. Often referred to as "the hair dryer" due to its unusual shape.
Firestorm: This customized trigger configuration allows for firing all the barrels simultaneously for when you absolutely, positively have to kill every motherfucker in the room. Press RMB to bring the pain.
Quad pack: Two additional barrels. The more the merrier, right?
Double shell clips: Loading two shells at once halves reload time.
Shotgun shell: Gauge shells filled with tungsten buckshot.

anilEhilated says...
Shotgun O Shotgun, how I wish I could afford to love thee. I spent a big chunk of chapter seven talking about it so go watch that instead; you can probably figure out how it works anyway. The game makes it sound a lot better than it is, sadly. That's not to say it's not a fun weapon, just a very inefficient way to spend your money.

Game says:
Onibi flamethrower: Deemed unsuitable for eithical warfare by most military authorities, the flamethrower found its niche in corporate munitions market as a handy negotiation tool. Named after the fire spirits of legends, the Onibi belches fire like hung-over dragon with a bad case of the mondays.
Fire bombs: This pneumatic launcher converts the flamethrower into a potent and diverse weapon. Press RMB to launch incendiary bombs.
Extended fuel tank: A bigger tank means more capacity and increased work time. Increases fuel storage by 30%.
Inferno mix: Addition of thermite to the Onibi turns the flamethrower into a terrifying weapon. Increases damage and panic chance by 25%.
Fuel: Tandem tank containing liquid mixture and inert propellant gas.

anilEhilated says...
The Flamethrower might as well be a grenade launcher. Okay, so the thread made me rediscover this gun. Still the worst weapon in the game, but the primary fire actually has some use, burning fliers out of the sky. Of course, it requires you to stand right under them so it's not recommended on higher difficulties. Still, the main point of using the flamethrower is its secondary fire because that clears rooms of fragile demons fairly fast and the fire will whittle them down while you deal with bigger threats.

Game says:
Yari type-24 rocket launcher: Named after the traditional Japanese spear, it is the most devastating weapon made by Zilla industries. The Yari type-24's clip holds up to three high explosive missiles that can be fired sequentially.
Laser guidance: This active laser designator allows the user to point the target, then missile heads directly to it. Hold RMB to manually guide missiles.
Multi Launch: The modification allows you to fire up to three missiles in one shot. Hold LMB to stack, then release to fire.
Heavy Warheads: This type of missile, nicknamed "Nuke Dukem", contains more powerful explosives, increasing explosion radius by 30%.
Missile Pack: Anti-personnel missiles noted for their ability to blow the living crap out of all of the things.

anilEhilated says...
The Rocket Launcher is all kinds of awesome and the kickass factor is only marred by its girly color scheme. It's the most powerful weapon of the game and the only way to survive some of the encounters the final levels will throw at you. Also allows for some pretty amazing trickshots.

This game also has a fairly interesting approach to DLC. Purchasing the game by various means lets you dress up your sword in pretty pretty katana skins. Two of them I show off in the LP, here's the rest courtesy of fellow goon Oblivion4568238:

Oblivion4568238's Katana Emporium:
Zilla Z45 Laser Katana

Hmm... it kinda looks like Raiden's High Frequency Blade, but smaller. And with more lasers. That light is an actual light source too, it causes lens flare on the camera. And, it makes lightsaber-ish noises when you swing it around. It was a pre-order bonus, so you can no longer get it.

Trolls are always surprised when you take out their shield arm.

Hotline Miami Katana

This pixellated sword hails from Hotline Miami, a game about running around real fast and killing everything that gets in your way. So, not that different from Shadow Warrior. It's part of the special edition pack.

Okay, so that one doesn't even have the sword in it, but it does have a man's arm erupting into blood, so I kept it.

Yeah, this looks like the aftermath of a Hotline Miami level.

Serious Sam Sledgehammer

Devs paying their dues to Devolver Digital's big-name properties here. The Sledgehammer is from Serious Sam, and it is a sledgehammer. It is also part of the special edition pack. Despite being a blunt weapon, it is still just a skin for the Katana, so it cuts things like normal.

Ah, there's the one good action shot! I was worried I wouldn't get one. After this, I had a nice overhead charged swing lined up, but of course I flubbed the picture of the swing anyways. Instead I got

Oh hell.

Get it off get it off.

Go away go away go away.

Saint's Row Penetrator (Possibly mild :nws:)
http://lpix.org/1934707/2015-02-07_00020.jpg

It's, uh... yeah...
It makes... rubbery noises.
You get it for owning Saint's Row the Third, as well as this game.

http://lpix.org/1934716/2015-02-07_00021.jpg

No Lo Wang what are you doing

Actually, I think this image would make a good avant-garde desktop wallpaper.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 8, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

your evil twin posted:

(There's actually a sort of easter egg at the end, but I don't think it counts as an official secret.)
Yup, and I completely forgot about that one while recording so thanks for the reminder. Here it is. I'll definitely be talking about Hard Reset and some of its similarities and effects on this game down the line, suffice to say that this secret can be pretty disturbing if you take it seriously. (You probably shouldn't). The buddy cop movie analogy might be closer to home than you'd think...

J.theYellow posted:

Oh yeah, and "Kappa Dori" is a reference to Kappabashi-dori, a street in Tokyo populated by restaurant-supply stores, near which is the Kappa Dera Temple. The kappas are the aquatic frog-faced goblins that are thought to be friendly to humans.
This is exactly the kind of post I was hoping for; see, I know stuff like the place where Wang lives (Akihahasomething) being real but I'm largely ignorant to most of the actual Japanese references. I know Wang's favorite drink exists, though.

For the damage/rating discussion, I think I said my piece in the video - the only really reliable way I know of getting max ratings it the abovementioned Roar/Divider/Beheaded spam and I'm not going to put myself or anyone viewing through that. I still think that fun and flashy combat beats getting a couple of extra karma points.
That being said, it's not an exclusive thing where you're either efficient or flashy - it's entirely possible to get full rankings on just getting lucky with hits and environmental damage. The combo just makes it consistent.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

David D. Davidson posted:

I remember seeing that they were making DOC where you play as the poor sap who has to clean up after Wang. Does that actually exist and if yes will you be playing it?

So I just learned of its existence in my Steam library thanks to you. I'll have to actually play through the thing first but unless it's extremely boring to watch I'll make bonus videos or something out of it. Anyway, I'm having some trouble finding time to edit my recorded videos so expect the next update sometime in the middle of next week.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Youtube is probably still processing the HD version, but here's Chapter 2: The Party Bus. I tried to make my commentary a bit louder compared to the sounds of violence as well as e-nun-ci-ate.

edit: Would also appreciate any comments of the density of the commentary. I pretty much rapidfired it so far but am kinda worried of running out of stuff to talk about - think the fights need my banter or is just watching Wang cut poo poo up fine once in a while?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 8, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

double nine posted:

ONe thing to note is that most obnoxious of stats: money collected. That stat drove me up the wall before I gave up in defeat.
Oh, definitely. This is not a game for perfectionists, getting full points in everything tends to get in the way of enjoyment. There was some talk about this in the LP thread for the original game and basically it ended up in the guy simply refusing to play the remake because it's so annoying to get perfect scores.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

GetWellGamers posted:

I will say this, though- pick up the +Money/Karma% upgrades first thing. A lot of the later upgrades on both trees get wickedly expensive and you'll be glad you invested in those earlier.
Yeah, I usually get them right after katana moves and Aswang. The fact that the distribution of money pickups in this game is really uneven doesn't help either.
It doesn't really matter with karma since not all of the skills are useful but I'm definitely not going to be able to get every single weapon upgrade in one playthrough. There is stuff that's safe to skip without missing anything though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Update time: How about some Spiritual Laxative?

I do apologize for the somewhat mismatched audio levels, technical issues happened and I had to stitch the tracks together into a frankenmonster. It should be watchable.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Oblivion4568238 posted:

I just had the thought, anilEhilated, are you going to show off any of the extra katana skins, if you have them? It's hardly crucial, but it's a nice touch, and it'd be neat to see them in the LP for a bit.

I have the two that didn't require paying extra ten euros, but I'm saving them for the longer levels, as it's going to give me an opportunity to rant about the nature of DLC, universe and everything.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, I have the Rise of the Triad and Walking Dead ones so they'll definitely show up at some point. I actually debated getting the special edition for quite a while but in the end decided it wasn't worth the rather hefty price tag - soundtrack and art are nice, but those particular two katana skins (Serious Sam hammer and I think some sort of Hotline Miami weapon) just didn't grab my interest.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Sure, go for it! I would, however, appreciate if you held off until I get to show and talk about one of the skins - Chapter 5, most likely - so we have some context.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Here's Chapter 4: I Can't Remember That Night Either.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Schnedwob posted:

Making a formal request that the thread be renamed "an immense sense of vaguely phallic satisfaction".

Yeah, this is what happens when your contacts with English as a language involve way more reading than actually talking (and you're trying to make yet another stakegun-dickreplacement joke). Side effects may include positively fantabulous phrasing and relying on words I just can't pronounce right (see: particularly canal). Hopefully it doesn't detract from the LP too much, that being said, feel free to hit me with any and all corrections you folks feel necessary. I may even act upon them.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Schnedwob posted:

Positively fantabulous is an understatement. Your choice of vocabulary gives your commentary a slightly academic tint- which when combined with the game's subject matter, a dry sense of humor, and a pretty extensive knowledge of what's going on- makes for fuckin' excellent commentary.
Oh, thanks then. I was getting kinda passive-aggressive there, glad we cleared that up!

McKilligan posted:

So did I just see two rabbits copulating there at the end and is there anything to that?
Yeah, I think I already talked about them but it's like this: the original game is chock-full of rabbit jokes and if you find two of them in any given location and return there later, you're bound to find more. They multiply like, well, rabbits. In the remake you very rarely have to backtrack so you don't really see the results - so you get to watch hot rabbit on rabbit action with cartoon hearts instead. And of course, trying to get the rabbit population under control puts you in deadly danger as seen in chapter 2.

J.theYellow posted:

Besides People Can Fly (aka Epic Games Poland,) there's also CD Projekt (founded as a republisher of anyone who didn't want to bother translating and localizing games for Polish speakers, now does the Witcher series internally), Techland (Call of Juarez, Dead Island) and QLOC S.A. (grew out of the original Cenega shop, did the Windows port of Devil May Cry: DmC) and, biggest of all in Poland, City Interactive (recently put out Enemy Front, and before that Sniper: Ghost Warrior 1 and 2.)

Just out of interest, since you seem knowledgeable about the matter - is The Farm 51 still around? I'm probably the only living fan of Necrovision but for what it's worth, the Polish are really good at shooters.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jul 23, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'll get to the various applications of the crossbow a bit later, but suffice to say it's my favorite weapon for a reason.
Well, a reason unrelated to vaguely phallic satisfaction.
Anyway, the next video may be delayed a bit, I am going to be busy in my usual editing/commenting time this week. Hopefully y'all won't wither away from disappointment.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Chapter 5: She's a Courier is up, despite the warnings I managed to get it on schedule; Youtube may still be crunching the HD version, though. Not too happy with the commentary on this one but the metaphorical poo poo is about to hit the nonmetaphorical Wang so there should be some new and exciting stuff to talk about soonish.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

NinetySevenA posted:

Did you pick up something from the last Shaman?

This is a good LP.

Crossbow bolts. They sometimes get stuck in walls and enemies, forgot to mention that.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Wow. Tested the akimbo ironsights out on survival and as far as I can tell it works exactly as described, which makes it probably the most damaging gun in the game used this way. It's kind of amazing how I still keep learning things about this game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Chapter 6: Home Sweet Home is up. As a fair bit of warning, next week's update will be delayed as I'm about to have some dentistry commited on me and have no idea whether I'll be capable of forming at least somewhat recognizable words for a while.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Oblivion4568238 posted:

It keeps happening. :(
Hey, I did spell the entire thing out the first time. Still, I know how you feel; people keep finding new and exciting ways to butcher my username too. See: the shmup or Combat Mission threads.

SaffronKit posted:

I'm looking forward to the next level as it contain my favorite weapon in the game, bar none.
I'm looking forward to some discussion on that since I pretty much never use it. I'll make some effort but if you want to see upgrades, good luck selling it. It's not bad, I'll just... explain it in the video.

Kibayasu posted:

I spent far, far too long at the beginning of the boss level looking for secrets. You can jump down on that rock below the start without dying so of course there's a secret there, right?
Yes. Oh, yes. The only reason I didn't put some misadventures regarding that in the video was the time limit; suffice to say, for a first time player with an interest in vintage blood or Asian statuary, that level is a deathtrap. Thankfully they inform you at the end, but one thing this game could really use is a secret tracker along the lines of Doom's automap.

Oh, and thanks for all the kind words, I'm currently trying to find a way to record some commentary before my mouth inflates, so there's that.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Aug 5, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I actually managed to get this one done before my teefectomy so here's Chapter 7: You Should See The Other Guy. I talk a lot about shotguns and barrels and then die.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 11, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

GyverMac posted:

Wang takes bullets and demon claws to the face without breaking a sweat, but jumping down a little staircase is insta kill? I wonder what the thought was behind the insane fall damage in this game.

Oh, that's pretty simple. You can negate it by holding Ctrl at the right time (ie just before you hit the ground), Wang will just drop into a ninja roll.
The problem is that, well, I suck at it. When I'm dashing like this, I'm doing to shorten the spaces where nothing happens and my mind is completely elsewhere. So the issue with falling damage on dashes isn't so much the amount of it but the fact it's not expected and gives you a really short time to react as opposed to actual falls.

It may also be affected by momentum: earlier in the video, Wang dropped down a shaft and I was definitely going for a roll on that one, but the game only does it when it's actually needed. So the speed of the dash may be another factor. I'm fondly reminded of System Shock 2 where you could kill yourself by touching a wall while going too fast.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 11, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I really don't like relying on the shotgun against the fliers for reasons that will become obvious as soon as I fail to dodge one on their way down - been pretty lucky with that in this video. But getting close to them is fairly dangerous since their divebomb before dying schtick goes from annoying on Normal through damaging on Hard to downright murderous on Insane and Heroic. That being said, there's something charming about killing flying enemies with close-ranged weapons and the shotgun turns it into the world's goriest duck hunt.
As I said in the video, just being able to play with the fully upgraded shotgun alone is a great reason to do New Game+.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Starhawk64 posted:

Way too insightful stuff for my liking
Okay, so I both love and hate this post - you're basically saying exactly what I think about the game and it's nice to see someone appreciate it like this. On the other hand, well, you just summed up about three videos' worth of banter and now I'll have to come up with something new or more elaborate.
Oh well, credit where credit's due, this is a really good post and I will be repeating a lot of this stuff in video.

SSNeoman posted:

That Wing of Crane shockwave actually pierces through everything. EVERYTHING. Walls, cover, shields, everything. It's totally viable to put a wall between you and the enemy and WoC them through it.
And this makes it two on the counter of things I did not know about the game I'm LPíng! I think I never really bothered using it on walls since WoC is fairly weak compared to the other katana attacks but this definitely warrants further experimentation.

Oblivion4568238 posted:

Speaking of flying enemies and the revolver, on Normal, perhaps with some of the damage skills, you can take them out with just one shot, so that's how I always clear groups of fliers out. They either pop right there or catch fire and crash and die.
Yes, the dogvolver is bar none the best thing to deal with them. I stick to the PDW again mostly because I usually play on Insane where dogvolver ammo is better used on other enemies (one of which we're going to see in the next video).

Speaking of next video, that's the one that's going to be delayed - I'm currently having the teef issues and I'm going on vacation for the next week, so I can't really stick the commentary anywhere there.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Aug 12, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, they should. I'm really going off the steam trading card for that name, let's see if I can retrain myself out of the habit. Besides, tengu are supposed to have prominent noses and fans or something.
edit: Checking back on the cards, it turns out the basic demons are called Crawlers. Oops.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Aug 12, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Is there a name difference between the two kinds of troll then? The small-round-shield-dizzy-smoke ones and big-shield-with-stupid-hole ones?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
This is skirting around spoiler territory a bit, but burning shadows is a pretty accurate description of what the sword does. I agree that the devs played their mythology fast and loose (and even the China/Japan confusion is present - Gozu, for example, is based on a Chinese demon) but they do seem to have thought their plot through.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That might be deliberate since they gain a fair bit more color when they enrage - this way it's easier to pick out the larger threats in a crowd.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

J.theYellow posted:

Zilla is in keeping with the plot of the original Shadow Warrior, where that Lo Wang had spent his whole career as an assassin for "Master Zilla," who ends up as the final boss of the main campaign. This Lo Wang is a lot younger, and with a few exceptions this reboot could just be explaining the same Lo Wang's early life.

Not really but we'll get into that much later on in the game. In other news, I'm back, so the next update should come on schedule on Tuesday. Spoilers: I die.

edit: It strikes me that I should've named the thread something along the lines of "No, really, it's actually pretty drat good".

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 22, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

JossiRossi posted:

poo poo got called out. We both had a lot of life drop on us. I'd love to still finish it at some point. Flying Wild Hog make some really just fun games where everything is blowing up all the time. anilEhilated is doing a great job showing off that fact here too.

One thing he missed is that in the first level you can avoid getting in your car and just walk down the road. It takes like a full minute to get to the end and when you do the skybox is revealed to be a sheet and behind it are the robots you see in the next level (themselves a Hard Reset reference) but placed in the Hard Reset city setting. Not sure if he wants to show that off but I thought it was cute.

I actually put it in a separate video but probably didn't link to it obviously enough.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Youtube is probably still crunching it but we're back on track with Chapter 8: Not Quite A Genie.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Spudd posted:

"You made armour for the demon invaders. Shut the gently caress up."

I am crying from laughter with the delivery of that line, oh man why don't I own this game.

I love all the quips that show just how much of a wannabe Wang is at the whole hero thing, that's a fairly unique approach for an action game. There's one line in particular I've been trying to get Wang to say pretty much since the start and he stubbornly refuses to: if you kill a demon with the dogvolver, he yells something like "Make my day, chump! poo poo, I always get that one wrong!"
On the other hand, him mangling some of the references makes it even hard to track them so thanks everyone for pointing them out - it kind of makes me wonder just how far out of their way did the Polish developers have to go in order to make all those jokes that work only in English/the Americans would get...

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

M.Ciaster posted:

Us Poles have a hell of a hard-on for American culture. Probably a holdover from the Communist days where the USA was seen as that wondrous land of dreams and wealth, or something, I guess?
That's quite similar to what I was thinking; I'm Czech and while the most common remnant of the Cold War era here is simply hating Russians and everything associated, the cultural differences tend to make a lot of the stuff present blurrier than it ought to be. That's why I'm constantly asking people to help with the references since the devs obviously went for stuff that'd be more recognizable elsewhere.

Prenton posted:

I was surprised to see Chuck Bloody Norris advertising a bank when I went to Wroclaw a while ago.
We used to have him in a mobile phone provider advertisement series that basically poked fun at his incapability to change expression while "acting". Can't speak for Poland, but irony is one of the most effective ways to sell stuff around here.

edit: Funnily enough, edit isn't quote.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 27, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Kibayasu posted:

Even though they are written to be what a complete nerd would think is badass and witty Flying Wild Hog still manage to combine that with a remarkable amount of both restraint and variety. They don't even happen after every single fight (I don't know if its just random or maybe there's a karma points requirement relative to the fight itself so you only hear Wang quip if he thinks he's earned it) but they still probably wrote and recorded more than a person would hear in a single playthrough. I don't think I heard a single repeated quip throughout my entire first game and if I did they happened far apart enough that I didn't remember the first one by the time I heard the second. Thinking about how many other games just repeat the same 5 "witty" lines for every single fight the hero is in (which gets annoying within 30 minutes at best) really makes me appreciate things like that.

There are repeated one-liners, but you'll probably only notice three (possibly four, see below) of them: "Ooooh, that feels good" for healing, "Look, meat pinatas!" for flux and "Quick, pull my finger!" for shockwave. Protection might have one but a]I never heard anything while using it and b]it's protection, who gives a poo poo.
Weapon kill quips can show up multiple times, but they're pretty well spaced out - maybe they don't repeat in a level or something.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Because who doesn't love aiming with a controller? PC racism aside, here's Chapter 9: I Liked You Better When You Were Dumb And Gorgeous.

I really need to pick a better time to post updates.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 2, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

double nine posted:

There is a certain cadence to it that makes it such a joy to listen to.
Hoji's VA does an amazing job through the entire game, especially considering he has to put up with his whole weird unearthly voice filter thingy. It's kind of interesting that his voice is the only one that gets distorted - and not all the time, which may even be plot-relevant.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It can usually hit fliers if you jump; the problem is that just setting them on fire (which is about all your air time allows for) doesn't always kill them and then you have to bother with the same enemy twice. Besides, if you can hit them with the flamethrower, you can also hit them with a Divider and that takes care of them in a much more reliable fashion.

edit: The only good videogame flamethrower I remeber off the top of my head was in C&C: Renegade. Wolfenstein 2009 had a passable one but it didn't really fit into that game's style. And its best upgrade came like in the last mission.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 3, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Nalesh posted:

Holy poo poo, nothing like I imagined.
Seriously. It's like seeing Logan Cunningham on screen after having played Bastion.
Anyway, a bit of warning, the next update might end up being a tiny bit delayed as I'll be busy over the weekend and the level takes forever. I'm still hoping to put it out on schedule, just don't expect to.

SaffronKit posted:

I'm glad it has grown on you, as it really is a fun weapon even without the upgrades. The alt-fire is just super enjoyable to use againest really big groups or up in the face of something REALLY big like a warlord, if I wasn't just using a divider on them when I got pulled I'd have my shotgun out and ready to shove the alt fire into its face.
This is one of the things that didn't occur to me when I vaguely planned to do an LP and quickly became my favorite part of the whole business: I'm learning stuff about the game too. The zoomed in PDW, shotgunning fliers, now I'm tempted to go out and try to fry a couple with the flamethrower just for the sake of roast demon. The dialogue going on here is great.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Sep 4, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Chapter 10: We Should Stick To The Lack Of Plan is out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That's actually what eventually turned me from Sanctum 2; the rocket launcher makes really pretty explosions and I'm all for that but kinda prefer my booms actually doing something.

• Locked thread