Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
After two whole days with no football we're back with some seriously tasty Quarter Final action.

This is the first game and it's a clash of two European heavyweights.

The French nation will be pleased that they managed to avoid a total meltdown and get out of the group stages and they have a great opportunity to progress against a German side that before the tournament many would peg as favourites in this match up. However in the previous round France probably looked more convincing against Nigeria with a 2-0 win whereas the Germans needed extra time to dispatch Algeria 2-1.

Also there appears to have been some sickness affecting the German camp, with seven players having 'a bit of a cold'. What impact this will have on the game remains to be seen.

there is some history between these two great nations

The second game is:

Colombia have been one of the teams of the tournament so far, playing attractive football, scoring great goals and in James Rodriguez they have an outstanding player who has scored some wonderful goals and is right in the mix for the golden boot.

Brazil have done enough so far without setting the tournament alight, the country might be set alight if they don't win. Massive game.

JFairfax fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jul 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Colombia are gonna take this.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:
2-1 to france and 3-1 to columbia

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
They'll be burning cars in the streets of Paris tonight.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
They'll be doing cocaine in the streets of Bogota tonight.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

They'll be fleeing incoming tanks in the streets of Warsaw tonight.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Mark Lawrenson has hit peak Lawro with his QF predictions

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Brazil and Colombia has a 2,000km border but no road connects the two countries. Not very good friends.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Dunban posted:

I'm sure you meant to say that theres gonna be a parade in Paris today

professor muthafukkah
Feb 27, 2006

oh lord...

Dunban posted:

They'll be burning cars in the streets of São Paulo/Rio tonight.

Fixed that for you.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
hyyyyyyyped

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good
They'll be playing Nintendo 3ds'on the streets of Munich tonight

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
They'll be staging putsches in the beer halls of Munich tonight.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
I think The Sack and his mates will fight for their reich to party. I doubt the French have enough resistance.

I'd love to see Columbia do Brazil. I think it's a 50/50 shot.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

France-Germany to go to PK's, Colombia to win hopefully by something like 3-2 idk.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Mr. Mambold posted:

France-Germany to go to PK's, Colombia to win hopefully by something like 3-2 idk.

This isn't Napoleonic France. They will surrender long before it gets to a shootout with Germany.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I think france will do germany, at least I hope they do. It's hard to pick a dog in that fight as an englishman but I think I like this French team more.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
Going to be daydrinking, watching the foot and lighting small ordinance all day. God bless the World Cup on a long holiday weekend. I see France and Colombia going through.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

AND WE'RE BACK

been waiting all week to watch again

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

JFairfax posted:

I think france will do germany, at least I hope they do. It's hard to pick a dog in that fight as an englishman but I think I like this French team more.

seems pretty clear-cut to me

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

professor muthafukkah posted:

Fixed that for you.

Both are probably gonna happen.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Masonity posted:

This isn't Napoleonic France. They will surrender long before it gets to a shootout with Germany.

don't underestimate the Maginot line, Germany will have to pay Belgium a visit to go around the french defensive and strike a goal into their heartland

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
France over Germany, Colombia over Brasil.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Masonity posted:

You don't know much about their history on the pitch then, do you.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

France over Germany, Colombia over Brasil.

I have bet on this and all four teams to score at 60/1 and it won't happen because football is a cruel bitch

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham

NattyBo posted:

Going to be daydrinking, watching the foot and lighting small ordinance all day. God bless the World Cup on a long holiday weekend. I see France and Colombia going through.

hopefully you're right but in this pony's opinion, france will play right into germany's hands and brazil will go through on a dodgy pen

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
I do enjoy a tasty german team but for some reason I am wanting the France to win idk

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

NattyBo posted:

The ordinance is that you can't light ordnance in the city limits. hth. So burn that piece of paper then blow it up, jajaja!

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

here's my picks for the semi-finals atm: colombia vs england, argentina vs netherlands. might put a bet on it

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Total Meatlove posted:

I have bet on this and all four teams to score at 60/1 and it won't happen because football is a cruel bitch

How much wagered? I will be cheering for you if you stand to make > 1k.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

Mr. Mambold posted:

The ordinance is that you can't light ordnance in the city limits. hth. So burn that piece of paper then blow it up, jajaja!

:drat: :eng101: :suicide:

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer
Neuer will bring ze pain.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

:siren:Quarterfinals refchat:siren:

We have an interesting set today as the All UEFA match is refereed by a non-UEFA referee (from CONMEBOL) for the first time this tournament and an all CONMEBOL match refereed by a dude from UEFA.

France x Germany
Ref: Nestor PITANA (ARG)
AR1: Hernan MAIDANA (ARG)
AR2: Juan Pablo BELATTI (ARG)
4th: Jonas ERIKSSON (SWE)
RAR: Mathias KLASENIUS (SWE)

I said Eriksson would be back! Anywho, Pitana has had a pretty good tournament IMO. His three previous matches include Russia x South Korea, USA x Portugal, and Honduras x Swtizerland. Being from Argentina, his tournament could very easily be done after this match. There is an unwritten rule that if your team makes the semi-finals you become unavailable for selection for the final four matches. This could be the last CONMEBOL referee we see with a whistle at this tournament unless Brazil gets eliminated, in which case Ricci might get one of the last four.

Brazil x Colombia
Ref: Carlos VELASCO (ESP)
AR1: Roberto ALONSO (ESP)
AR2: Juan Carlos YUSTE (ESP)
4th: Svein MOEN (NOR)
RAR: Kim HAGLUND (NOR)

Surprised is definitely a word I would use to describe the selection of Velasco to a QF match. Previously he was on Uruguay x England and Bosnia x Iran, and in neither case did he really stand out. I didn't think he had the greatest of performances in the first of those matches, either. But, all the same, with Spain eliminated, a good match here could see Velasco have his hat in the ring for a chance at the final. Well, that is assuming that FIFA thinks its possible to give the match to anyone that isn't Ravshan Irmatov. I'll talk plenty about him tomorrow because somehow he has a QF match as well. Anyway, I'm a little worried about Velasco in this match, so hopefully he proves me wrong.

sircozzie
Jul 8, 2011

Release the Meerkat
I'd like to see France & Colombia win but I know the opposite will happen.

If they do pull it off though, it could become likely a team will win the WC for the first time in their history (I know Spain did it last time but we can all agree that was poo poo) which would be cool and good

e: also i like you ref knower guy

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Germany and Colombia

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Bet that Spanish ref team is doped to hell. Despicable imo.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hello. Really happy the football is back i'm gonna grill up a big steak between the games.

Cheers

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

How much wagered? I will be cheering for you if you stand to make > 1k.

I've got a tenner on it idk if you use moon money or not

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Total Meatlove posted:

well a lot of these defenses have been suspect but since its the quarterfinal everyone may tighten up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Dunban posted:

Regardless of who won

• Locked thread