Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

public service announcement: fat is bad. that's all folks

i don't know how people get fat off sugary poo poo because i look at this and think i can maybe eat one of these donuts a day and anything else would make me physically sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fatkraken posted:

It certainly doesn't help, but bacon haters can be fats too. I knew a fat vegan. She'd get through half a loaf of white bread a day, didn't like vegetables and snacked on peanut butter sandwiches.
Carbs make you fat! keto diets all the way!

This man eats nothing but bacon and sliced lard.

Unfortunately, he's dead now, but it wasn't his diet.
He accidentally slashed his wrist while scratching his striated rear end.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

dontcareaboutname posted:

and you never need to leave home.

lol

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
in order to lose weight you have to suffer one way or another - exercise a lot, eat less of your favorite foods, take ruinous diet pills, or get surgery. people like me are fat because we don't like suffering

also fit people at gyms can be hella intimidating to a fatty. gym people, i know we fatties don't deserve your kindness and help, but more regular gym-goers means fewer fat people to assault your eyes, so why not take a chance and befriend the fat people who come to your gym?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Pththya-lyi posted:

in order to lose weight you have to suffer one way or another - exercise a lot, eat less of your favorite foods, take ruinous diet pills, or get surgery. people like me are fat because we don't like suffering

You're already suffering. After a certain point, being hella fat causes all sorts of suffering, both physical, mental and in terms of long term health. I'm LOSING weight because I don't like suffering, being a bit hungry sometimes (less than you might think, eat the right things and you're NOT hungry all the time) and running occasionally is nothing in comparison to the pain of being fat.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pththya-lyi posted:

also fit people at gyms can be hella intimidating to a fatty. gym people, i know we fatties don't deserve your kindness and help, but more regular gym-goers means fewer fat people to assault your eyes, so why not take a chance and befriend the fat people who come to your gym?

but your stomach shrinks the less you eat, meaning you feel like you have to eat less. stop being fat or you'll die sooner

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

The rich want to keep the poor fat and unhealthy to keep them more focused on their own problems instead of over-throwing the current plutocracy. This was easy to accomplish because humans are animals and naturally crave things like sugar and fat, so the food companies just started putting tons of sugar and fat into everything.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Un-l337-Pork posted:

The rich want to keep the poor fat and unhealthy to keep them more focused on their own problems instead of over-throwing the current plutocracy. This was easy to accomplish because humans are animals and naturally crave things like sugar and fat, so the food companies just started putting tons of sugar and fat into everything.

cool D&D post w/ no basis in reality

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

Robo Reagan posted:

cool D&D post w/ no basis in reality

I thought this was GBS!! try googling for the chemtrail - aspartame connection, sheep

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Say Nothing posted:

Whopper with 1050 strips of bacon.

mess with the lighting and colors a little and this could easily be a poster for a horror movie

BlueChocolate
Jan 4, 2014
america grows corn to feed their poor and have their engineers find different ways to make it taste less disgusting

BlueChocolate
Jan 4, 2014

Pththya-lyi posted:

i eat everything i want (and mean at least 2 helpings for dinner and fried foods all the time) and I hardly exercise and i'm skinny

haha suck on that fatties

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Fatkraken posted:

You're already suffering. After a certain point, being hella fat causes all sorts of suffering, both physical, mental and in terms of long term health. I'm LOSING weight because I don't like suffering, being a bit hungry sometimes (less than you might think, eat the right things and you're NOT hungry all the time) and running occasionally is nothing in comparison to the pain of being fat.

Correction: we'd rather put off our suffering. After all, it's Future Me who's going to have to deal with the diabeetus, so why should I deny Present Me that double-fudge sundae just to help her out? That bitch doesn't even exist yet!

And FYI, I am trying to do more healthy things like eat better and get more exercise. Once I start earning money I hope to get and use a gym membership, too.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

cube rear end

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

mess with the lighting and colors a little and this could easily be a poster for a horror movie

I was actually thinking what a great halloween mask that would be.

honestly if you put that on the table near me, I'd eat a lot of that bacon. Looks good

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
that bodybuilder is practically passed out from dehydration and pre-contest body fat reduction, right? what does someone like that look like between competitions?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
There is too much fattening food available and most of us can't resist temptation. Most of us also do not get off on doing exercise.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Companies want to make food cheaply to make max :10bux:, so they put the cheapest poo poo which barely qualifies for consumption into the food and sell that. America is literally full of pigs eating out of a corporate trough.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Pththya-lyi posted:

I hate suffering too and am glad I don't get chest pains, breathlessness, joint pains, sweat at room temperature or was unable to run up a flight of stairs to catch that last train I almost missed. There's your mental health to consider too; you sound like the self-deprecating type who makes the fat jokes before someone else does but dies a little inside each time.

Do you have any friends that work out? They'd be delighted to help you because gym enthusiasts are like evangelicals looking to convert others. Don't be intimidated, no one cares if you can't lift as much as them and if they notice you at all, they will want you to succeed. :)

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Yaldabaoth posted:

A serving of food can't make you put on more weight than the serving itself weighs, right? Just play it safe by using that info to visualize how much weight the food will make you gain.

thanks for the horrible advice, that's really helpful

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

bitterandtwisted posted:

I hate suffering too and am glad I don't get chest pains, breathlessness, joint pains, sweat at room temperature or was unable to run up a flight of stairs to catch that last train I almost missed. There's your mental health to consider too; you sound like the self-deprecating type who makes the fat jokes before someone else does but dies a little inside each time.

Do you have any friends that work out? They'd be delighted to help you because gym enthusiasts are like evangelicals looking to convert others. Don't be intimidated, no one cares if you can't lift as much as them and if they notice you at all, they will want you to succeed. :)

I know these things already:

Pththya-lyi posted:

And FYI, I am trying to do more healthy things like eat better and get more exercise. Once I start earning money I hope to get and use a gym membership, too.

But the sedentary lifestyle and fatty foods are addictions like any other. You can tell someone with a meth habit "Look at all these problems meth is causing you, you'd be much better off without it," but you shouldn't expect that to make them quit using meth. Just know that I'm starting to realize that I won't be in my 20s forever and I'm starting to take better care of myself.

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
A lot of the people at my current client go out to lunch every day. This is in the midwest. The healthiest food choice within 20 miles is Chipotle, and everything else is like Smashburger or BBQ joints. Occasionally I watch someone attempt to diet and they'll usually ask me for advice since they see me packing my lunches and generally eating well. They're able to stick with a couple of healthy meals a day but after a while they begin to feel like they can reward themselves with cheat meals. Pretty soon they're back to where they started or even worse off.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

FAGGY CLAUSE posted:

A lot of the people at my current client go out to lunch every day. This is in the midwest. The healthiest food choice within 20 miles is Chipotle, and everything else is like Smashburger or BBQ joints. Occasionally I watch someone attempt to diet and they'll usually ask me for advice since they see me packing my lunches and generally eating well. They're able to stick with a couple of healthy meals a day but after a while they begin to feel like they can reward themselves with cheat meals. Pretty soon they're back to where they started or even worse off.

You can eat out everyday and not get fat if you balance it out. I weigh just under 140 at 5'6" and I eat lunch out everyday. But I rarely eat breakfast, my snack is a string cheese stick and a piece of fruit, and dinner is usually vegetables and maybe a couple of hard boiled eggs. Plus I generally wo seven times a week including lifting. I wanna drop 10 lbs tho so I'm gonna switch to tuna and veggies for lunch twice a week which usually works for me.

But yeah, tons of death fats in my office building and I see them at Whattaburger everyday.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

FAGGY CLAUSE posted:

They never track, though, do they?

sparkpeople.com
myfitnesspal.com
livestrong.com/myplate

There are lots of alternatives. I've only tried sparkpeople, but it's worked out well for me.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Trixie Hardcore posted:

because they are bad people

fixed that for you, fat sympathizer. thou not knoweth shame?

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I stopped eating anything with processed sugar for seven years and worked a manual labor job. Fit and thin. Lots of energy. It was nice.

I miss that.

Got a desk job and added stress. Started to eat whatever was available. Physical labor vanished and I started to balloon.

Working my way back, but I'm older, so I know some of the "thin" is gone forever. When I have to drive, I park far away from my destination, so I have to walk. Most days I take public transit and walk to and from the train. That's a good hour per day. I do yard work as well. I'll drag my bicycle out for a 10 mile ride as well.

I also watch how much poo poo I eat. I'm pretty sure that when I go out, the typical restaurant portion is probably for two or three people.

Short version; I gained weight because there were some very serious distractions that I had to deal with *now* and once the emergency was over, wow holy poo poo, I've gained sixty loving pounds. What the gently caress?

Sincerely hope this helps someone.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
he tendency to snack while sitting at a desk is extremely high and really really sucks.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Agrajag posted:

he tendency to snack while sitting at a desk is extremely high and really really sucks.

you can mitigate it somewhat by making sure you only have access to low impact snacks. Strawberries and other mostly-water fruit are great, 12 medium strawberries is like 30 calories so even though they're quite sugary, you can eat a surprising amount without getting fat. Sweet peppers are great with a low fat yoghurt based dip like a tsatziki, as are raw carrots, celery or cucumber.

The real "trick" is to loving PLAN. If you work in an office, prepare 200 or 300 calories worth of high-bulk snacks in the morning, or even the previous evening. You can get four or five snacks into that if you're smart with your selections and then you can eat one an hour if you like, for the calorie value of one small chocolate bar or 2/3 of a latte. It doesn't need to take that long, half an hour researching at the start, then like 5 minutes each day just grabbing the appropriate bits and pieces.

mainly though STOP DRINKING CALORIES. Soda, creamy sweet coffee, milkshakes, sweet tea, alcohol of all kinds are invisible calories that you sometimes don't even think about. Drink water, green tea or other low calorie drinks (diet soda even, though beware of the appetite stimulating effect of tons of fake sugar, best avoided)

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.
why not just show some self-control and not loving eat all the goddamn time at your desk?

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Pththya-lyi posted:

I know these things already:

But the sedentary lifestyle and fatty foods are addictions like any other. You can tell someone with a meth habit "Look at all these problems meth is causing you, you'd be much better off without it," but you shouldn't expect that to make them quit using meth. Just know that I'm starting to realize that I won't be in my 20s forever and I'm starting to take better care of myself.

loving right. If you are in your twenties now, you *need* to talk to your dad and ask about any surprises waiting for you when you get older. You can still treat your body like poo poo in your thirties and get away with it *some* of the time. But, once you hit your forties, you are going to start having the occasional 'old man' moment.

Short version: Be aware of any surprises your body has in store for you as you age. You'll be better prepared for them.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

why not just show some self-control and not loving eat all the goddamn time at your desk?

Unfortunately, a high stress desk job, where billions of dollars are on the line, means I don't get to eat when I want to. But, I agree with your subtext; I don't think food is the real problem here; it's my stress management skills.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

dontcareaboutname posted:

Most of the food in america that is affordable, is poison. Most people never learn how to cook or are willing to take the time to cook.

Where the gently caress in this country is restaurant bought food cheaper than store bought food?

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

tango alpha delta posted:

I don't get to eat when I want to.

your argument doesnt make a lot of sense

like you're suggesting that you cant eat meals so you eat at your desk, but you wouldnt be gaining weight unless you're eating more than the amount you would have eaten at the meal you missed. you are either eating a massive amount of snacks to replace a meal (which is a terrible idea) or you are eating the snacks and then making up for the lost meal with another meal (also bad)

however you slice it, the problem is eating too much, stop it

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

your argument doesnt make a lot of sense

like you're suggesting that you cant eat meals so you eat at your desk, but you wouldnt be gaining weight unless you're eating more than the amount you would have eaten at the meal you missed. you are either eating a massive amount of snacks to replace a meal (which is a terrible idea) or you are eating the snacks and then making up for the lost meal with another meal (also bad)

however you slice it, the problem is eating too much, stop it

Yes, I agree with you. Even if I were able to eat when I can, I still eat too much. I certainly don't need the calories. My challenge is to figure out how to feel full without overeating.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Phrasing posted:

Where the gently caress in this country is restaurant bought food cheaper than store bought food?

nowhere, but people don't cook and many don't know how to cook so buying prepackaged meals is all too common today

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Effectronica posted:

nowhere, but people don't cook and many don't know how to cook so buying prepackaged meals is all too common today

Prepackaged meals are alarmingly high in fat, salt or sugar or all three. One meal typically contains all of your daily salt, sugar and/or fat, assuming a 2000 calorie day.

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

Yes, I agree with you. Even if I were able to eat when I can, I still eat too much. I certainly don't need the calories. My challenge is to figure out how to feel full without overeating.

if feeling full is what leads you astray, dont eat until you feel full. stop before you are full

its really loving simple

eat less than you are eating now and give it some time. check your weight, if its decreasing as much as you want, continue, if you want it to decrease faster, eat less

there's nothing else to it

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

The best thing is to be happy with stopping before you feel full

If you really want to feel full, there's various things you can do. I am a fat person, BMI 30 and just started calorie counting to lose weight, but I ate a 500 calorie meal well over an hour ago and I am still stuffed. The meal consisted mainly of a a big green salad with a tiny dribble of strong vinegar based dressing (not many calories unless you drown poo poo in it) and a large portion of vegetable chilli, and the chilli consisted predominantly of vegetables. poo poo like carrots, broccoli, onions, mushrooms and so on, cooked in a very small amount of oil and a tomato based sauce (make sure you read the label for packaged sauces, some have a lot of sugar), with a small amount of sweet potato and some beans for bulk. Coloured veg like salad veg, broccoli and carrots are almost all very low calorie for their bulk, and have a decent amount of fibre, you can eat them until you feel full and take in very few calories. You can buy them fresh or frozen for super cheap too, especially at this time of year.

Just don't drown them in ranch or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

my really really really fat aunt was berating me when i was scramblin' up some eggs telling me they're high in cholesterol. she looked at me like i was talking in a different language when i tried to explain that cholesterol in eggs is good for you and your body turns all the dog poo poo processed food into bad cholesterol

this is why america is fat

• Locked thread