Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003
I was looking into a trip to Puerto Rico for a ~8 day trip for a honeymoon. It will be end of September (awesome middle of hurricane season I know), but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on hotels/resorts in the San Juan area (at least within a reasonable distance of the airport). We are mostly looking for beach relaxation with maybe a few SCUBA dives or snorkeling, some local culture, and likely all inclusive. Lazy, easy, relative lack of children (both small and party animals) would be the biggest priorities.

Any thoughts or specific locals would be great. If you think it's a mistake going here at the end of September let us know! We only have a few days and are looking for a relaxing trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

STAY HERE STAY HERE

http://www.luquillosunrise.com/

I cannot recommend this place enough. Tiny little town, right on the beach, big french doors that open onto an ocean-facing patio; decent prices. I believe the owners have changed since I stayed there in 2010, but the ambiance just can't be topped. Walk down the beach a block or two and eat here.

For San Juan's Old City, I can't recommend a quiet place. I stayed in Da House Hotel, which was a gay-friendly cocaine paradise right above a club (it was awesome). I do not know of any quiet place in Old San Juan.

You may want to consider renting a car and driving out to Rincon on the west coast; no kids, totally empty except for the occasional surfer. Best pig sandwich I've ever had.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

That is no where near the airport or San Jose. Just stay at like La Concha or the Ritz or something else depending on your price you are willing to pay. Basically anything relatively expensive will have a lack of children. There really aren't that many options, it's a relatively small place with a LOT of bad hotels/resorts.

To get to 'excellent beaches' you're going to have to drive (far), to like Fajardo and take the ferry. The beaches on the north side of PR are 'fine' but not great. Some are absolutely dogshit, with vegetation and rocks all in the water and beach.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 5, 2014

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

It took like twenty minutes to get there by rental car, it's not like Puerto Rico is a large island.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Aliquid posted:

It took like twenty minutes to get there by rental car, it's not like Puerto Rico is a large island.

That is probably 20 minutes from the airport, but 30+ from Old Town driving easily, which is probably too far. In the end, the options for like 'near old town' are the Hilton, the Ritz, La Concha and like one more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

If you can afford it, stay at El Convento in Old San Juan. Its GORGEOUS and quiet. Rent a car. You can get around the whole island easily with your smartphone and Google Maps. Try to fly to Vieques or Culebra, flights are cheap from Ceiba. Plus the landing in Culebra is very exciting, its worth paying for the flight just for that landing (I used to work flying those planes and the tourists would often say that was the most adventurous thing they ever did). The flight to Vieques is not as exciting but the island is bigger and has the brightest bio bay in the world. Though now you are not allowed to swim during the tour, you have to stay in the kayak, which takes away about 75% of the experience.

If you have any questions just ask. I was born and raised there and go every two months.

-edit-
The hotel Aliquid posted is indeed a nice place to stay.

Animal fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 31, 2014

• Locked thread