Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

His wrestler style intro and music at the start of every game are the best part about him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I've played RE4make up until finding Ashley, and.... I like it a lot less than the original so far. It's way too loving dark, for one. Can barely see a thing. The aiming's worse, too. Gun wobble is ok, a reticle that's inaccurate until you stand still and focus for a bit is ok, but combined? That's really bad. Makes the shooting ranges a total crapshoot, too. But then the weird gachapon kind of ruins those already.

It's still RE4 so it's still great, just less so than what came before.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
You can easily ignore the shooting range. I used to do them because I have gamer brain but the bonuses are really minor.

Definitely pick up the laser sight for your pistol. This makes the aiming a lot better.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Don't think the laser sight works on the Red9.

And yeah, but the shooting ranges in the original were fun! And they gave you extra money. And the bottle caps were cute.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
It doesnt no unfortunately which is why I prefer the default pistol.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

DLC Inc posted:

DBD having such a stranglehold is mystifying to me. The game plays and looks like dogshit while I thought Chainsaw Massacre and Evil Dead looked/played so much better. Even Friday the 13th I thought was a better take on that genre.

The DBD defender has logged on. As poo poo as it may look, literally no one else can figure out anything better than v complicated freeze tag with buttloads of perks to unlock (made a lot easier and faster these days) Nothing ends up outlasting DBD because it was designed from day 1 for longevity and now they have a massive team (3-400 people) so they churn out new content every 3 months. It's also WIDELY anchored in streaming, and consistently has 20k+ viewers which not many 8+ year old games not named some kind of counterstrike or fortnite do. Its gameplay is easy to explain but takes thousands of hours to master. Its not always on purpose, but everything about DBD works in its favor as far as content, influx of players, skill expression etc in spite of developers which only balance the game around the newbie level of gameplay anyways.

There's a reason every asymetrical horror game that comes out gets put on that death door knock meme, and it's because every single one of them thinks they can get by on one gimmick, one brand, etc, but people bore of their game in a few months and their playerbase craters like every other gaas game. This isn't because their gameplay isn't more FUN than DBDs, that's the easy part. Texas Chainsaw Massacre devs straight out said nah this isn't a forever game and people still Pikachu surprise face 200 hrs in when every single trick has been figured out and mechanically mastered and there are no free cosmetics or levels left to unlock.

So they go back to DBD, and the bloated corpse goes on.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

So this then

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Looking up DBD for the first time in a while and god help me, The Unknown actually looks like fun to play, so the system works.

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

I played The Quarry, Man of Medan, and now working on Little Falls. For all their flaws I like these games a lot, but The Curator does nothing for me. He's not bad... just kinda bland. Am I alone?
It's a one-two punch of having to follow up loving Peter Stormare at his Stormariest in Until Dawn and being the most boring host ever written. They tried to go Rod Sterling without the presence or charisma, which is a shame because a Cryptkeeper character would have been fun if the series had a little more self-awareness.

e: actually give me an Elvira stand-in to mock me for every bad decision and missed QTE and I'll die happy

Enemabag Jones fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 13, 2024

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Hag in The Quarry is good fun. Her tarot gimmick is a nice touch and her being actually a character in the story so she gets mad when you do things she doesn't like.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Hag in The Quarry is good fun. Her tarot gimmick is a nice touch and her being actually a character in the story so she gets mad when you do things she doesn't like.

Grace Zabriskie is just really, really good at playing that particular kind of character. By which I mean "Twin Peaks: The Return Sarah Palmer"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Instant Grat posted:

I've played RE4make up until finding Ashley, and.... I like it a lot less than the original so far. It's way too loving dark, for one. Can barely see a thing. The aiming's worse, too. Gun wobble is ok, a reticle that's inaccurate until you stand still and focus for a bit is ok, but combined? That's really bad. Makes the shooting ranges a total crapshoot, too. But then the weird gachapon kind of ruins those already.

It's still RE4 so it's still great, just less so than what came before.

The remake definitely changed up some of my taurine gun preferences from the original, the Red9 in particular. That was always my goto, but with the way aiming works for it in the remake, I eventually preferred the Blacktail. I think it's less powerful power shot, but it feels so much snappier that I do better with it overall.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

the reload animations got worse so I like the remake less (half serious)

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Hag of Hackett's Quarry?!

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

pedrovay2003 posted:

The Hag of Hackett's Quarry?!

Stop saying The Hag of Hackett’s Quarry!

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Len posted:

So this then

Nah. It's the skill ceiling and unlockable drip. People don't stay with dbd because of the fallacy, they stay because nothing else offers the above. That's how games like Gundam Battle Operations 2, For Honor, Chivalry 2 etc stick around with tiny but steady playercounts.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Fatal Frame 3 doesn't quite grab me as much as the previous two, but it's close to being great I feel, it just takes a while to start showing its hand and I'm not sure the mechanic of journalistic investigating is coalescing to something interesting.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

Honest Thief posted:

Fatal Frame 3 doesn't quite grab me as much as the previous two, but it's close to being great I feel, it just takes a while to start showing its hand and I'm not sure the mechanic of journalistic investigating is coalescing to something interesting.

I thought some of the later in-Rei's-home scares were some of the creepiest in the series, but I do agree that it's overall not quite as good as the first two. The story was interesting overall, and I liked seeing some familiar faces, but it just didn't have the impact that 1 and 2 had.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Fatal Frame 3 has one of the best stories in the series imo, especially if you’ve suffered the loss of a loved one before and can relate to Rei, even if the gameplay does get old much faster than the other games due to excessive backtracking and some annoying moments.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

The ending is way too sad even for a horror game

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

I played The Quarry, Man of Medan, and now working on Little Falls. For all their flaws I like these games a lot, but The Curator does nothing for me. He's not bad... just kinda bland. Am I alone?

Woah woah woah there buddy are you calling Pip Torrens bland?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I love the part where the music gets all intense when he walks in the door

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I love Until Dawn and enjoyed The Quarry well enough but have to say that Justice Smith gave one of the worst voice performances I've ever heard In The Quarry. I've seen him in movies before and he's a perfectly fine actor but good lord in The Quarry he was terrible

When you start the game the counselors all talk about how hot and cool he is and then he shows up and gives this incredibly flat, mumbly performance. I couldn't take him seriously for the rest of the game even though I think you're supposed to be rooting for him

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

el oso posted:

I love Until Dawn and enjoyed The Quarry well enough but have to say that Justice Smith gave one of the worst voice performances I've ever heard In The Quarry. I've seen him in movies before and he's a perfectly fine actor but good lord in The Quarry he was terrible

When you start the game the counselors all talk about how hot and cool he is and then he shows up and gives this incredibly flat, mumbly performance. I couldn't take him seriously for the rest of the game even though I think you're supposed to be rooting for him

Oh yeah. He's kind of hot right now, but I first noticed him in this game and I have a hard time getting over that utterly dead voice.

On the other hand, now that I'm a balding 40-year old, I'm getting used to teenagers speaking like that to me, like "holy poo poo I'd rather do anything right now than talk to you, old corpse"

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

DreadUnknown posted:

Woah woah woah there buddy are you calling Pip Torrens bland?

No, I love Pip Torrens, but there's only so much for him to do with what he's given. I'm about to get to the much hated twist and beat Little Hope ( mediocre ) so we'll see if he grows on me.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

el oso posted:

I just took him as a kinda shy awkward teenager or sorta autistic. He's actually one I really liked, especially the exchanges with Dylan.

"You told me to cut off your arm!"

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

heads up that the current diamond bundle on fanatical has all of the dreadx games, along with some good stuff like doom eternal, so horror people may want to look and see if there's anything you'd want to bundle the dreadx collections up with

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
oh wth, i just got to the part of fatal frame 3 where the candles are introduced, this poo poo blows

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Honest Thief posted:

this poo poo blows

lol

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
im sorry but im resorting to save states to finish this one, commiting dishonouring deeds

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Time for a name change

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I must be nearing the end of Little Hope and this is such a drag after playing The Quarry. I'm just not sold on all of these people so quickly taking up that this little girl is important and the center of their pursuit of survival. The skepticism of The Quarry seemed like it was going to go on too long... until it didn't and just kind of nailed it.

EDIT: Oooh, that end sucked hard.

Old Doggy Bastard fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 18, 2024

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

As someone mentioned earlier little hope was their pitch to Konami to do silent hill reworked into a game, which explains some choices but does not excuse them

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah Little Hope is definitely the worst thing Supermassive's made by a lot

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

is it really worse than until dawn rush of blood?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Meowywitch posted:

is it really worse than until dawn rush of blood?

alright second worse

here's my rankings:

Until Dawn
The Quarry
House of Ashes
The Devil in Me
Man of Medan
The Inpatient
Little Hope
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 18, 2024

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

alright second worse

here's my rankings:

Until Dawn
The Quarry
House of Ashes
The Devil in Me
Man of Medan
The Inpatient
Little Hope

That makes me happy since now playing House of Ashes and dig the setting. Plus, never having played Until Dawn when it was on consoles, I'm pumped for the PC port.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Blockhouse posted:

alright second worse

here's my rankings:

Until Dawn
The Quarry
House of Ashes
The Devil in Me
Man of Medan
The Inpatient
Little Hope

This is a pretty fair ranking, although I think it's worth noting that Little Hope manages to both fail on it's own merits but also suffers from pulling basically a very similar "lol none of it was real" twist as Man of Medan. Whereas Rush of Blood is at least competent at what it's trying to do.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I never tried Man of Medan because someone spoiled me on the twist.

However even if I'd known the twists of The Quarry or House of Ashes beforehand I don't think I would've enjoyed them any less because their twists are fairly minimal and not massively stupid.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

FreudianSlippers posted:

I never tried Man of Medan because someone spoiled me on the twist.

However even if I'd known the twists of The Quarry or House of Ashes beforehand I don't think I would've enjoyed them any less because their twists are fairly minimal and not massively stupid.

I don't think you could even call anything in House of Ashes a twist really, there's nothing that like... recontextualises the rest of the story that's happened up to that point or anything, it's a pretty straight reveal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

He'll yeah another House of Ashes liker